Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell are you talking about? I said Clavarino would have played round 1 if he wasn’t injured. Is that really that hard to understand?

Its not hard to understand, but given they don't pick the team that far into the future, you can't possibly know that, and he was far from an obvious inclusion.

Until we either take them over or get our own team, nothing will change.

it appears they have an excellent TAC Cup program designed to get kids drafted, but that's where it ends.

there's no adequate AFL development pathway for the mature talent. there have not been too many examples of blokes going to sandy as a mature player then getting drafted. on the other hand my club tends to have atleast 1 a year! a mix of talent they identified outside of the system, AFL rejects and colts talent they supported to the seniors. i question how good the recruitment of existing talent is at Sandy. i mean it appears players are leaving rather than staying.

our ladder position its self would dictate that the development of the existing AFL listed talent we gave them hasn't been ideal. Yes we have had players turn into AFL players, for example Seb Ross spent a considerable amount of time there, but that's probably the only example beyond the organic talent like Gresham who didn't spend much time there at all/was always going to end up being developed in the AFL. remembering players like sinclair and long already played VFL. someone like Acres is probably a good example of someone who really should be bashing the door down by now.

i think we still do not have the mix right at sandy which is a concern. the great AFL clubs had a really strong and competitive VFL side that made a VFL grand final and even won it before the AFL side showed something. we appear miles off of that at Sandy.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
it appears they have an excellent TAC Cup program designed to get kids drafted, but that's where it ends.

there's no adequate AFL development pathway for the mature talent. there have not been too many examples of blokes going to sandy as a mature player then getting drafted. on the other hand my club tends to have atleast 1 a year! a mix of talent they identified outside of the system, AFL rejects and colts talent they supported to the seniors. i question how good the recruitment of existing talent is at Sandy. i mean it appears players are leaving rather than staying.

our ladder position its self would dictate that the development of the existing AFL listed talent we gave them hasn't been ideal. Yes we have had players turn into AFL players, for example Seb Ross spent a considerable amount of time there, but that's probably the only example beyond the organic talent like Gresham who didn't spend much time there at all/was always going to end up being developed in the AFL. remembering players like sinclair and long already played VFL. someone like Acres is probably a good example of someone who really should be bashing the door down by now.

i think we still do not have the mix right at sandy which is a concern. the great AFL clubs had a really strong and competitive VFL side that made a VFL grand final and even won it before the AFL side showed something. we appear miles off of that at Sandy.
Well in previous years it’s been because our recruits have been poor and the last 2 years injury at the saints has hurt sandy. There is no way sandy can afford very good players and no one wants to go to sandy anyway as they just play at their local club if the saints don’t have injuries. By the way sandy just had a player drafted today.

Well in previous years it’s been because our recruits have been poor and the last 2 years injury at the saints has hurt sandy. There is no way sandy can afford very good players and no one wants to go to sandy anyway as they just play at their local club if the saints don’t have injuries. By the way sandy just had a player drafted today.

see i dont buy the reason its because our recruits are poor, if you are referring to the saints players. their best result was under simon mcphee with a core nucleus of saints that were from the worst drafting era in the history of our club.

why dont the players want to go to sandy? its an incredibly important point. why did players like cockie, tdl etc leave.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
see i dont buy the reason its because our recruits are poor, if you are referring to the saints players. their best result was under simon mcphee with a core nucleus of saints that were from the worst drafting era in the history of our club.

why dont the players want to go to sandy? its an incredibly important point. why did players like cockie, tdl etc leave.
Well if they did ok back then there was no problem. The problem now is there is no seconds so players don’t go there because if we have a full list they just end up back at their own club. The very good players haven’t been going there because of cash but that may have changed as they have got Gilbert and wright this year. I know the good clubs have done well in the seconds but the reason we don’t do well in the seconds is we don’t have depth like a good side yet. Hopefully depth is around the corner. The main thing you want from sandy though is the same game plan and players playing in positions we want them to play. We are getting that now. Have since last year.

Well if they did ok back then there was no problem. The problem now is there is no seconds so players don’t go there because if we have a full list they just end up back at their own club. The very good players haven’t been going there because of cash but that may have changed as they have got Gilbert and wright this year. I know the good clubs have done well in the seconds but the reason we don’t do well in the seconds is we don’t have depth like a good side yet. Hopefully depth is around the corner. The main thing you want from sandy though is the same game plan and players playing in positions we want them to play. We are getting that now. Have since last year.

great points mate!

i hope we can do more of what we have done with gilbert and wright, where we transition players from the AFL to the VFL without losing them and vice versa. i do think Sandy needs a couple more experienced operators given the age of our list.

hopefully things start to turn and we have a very competitive sandy outfit playing finals

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well thats telling isn't it

St Pauls

All Australian
Jul 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
great points mate!

i hope we can do more of what we have done with gilbert and wright, where we transition players from the AFL to the VFL without losing them and vice versa. i do think Sandy needs a couple more experienced operators given the age of our list.

hopefully things start to turn and we have a very competitive sandy outfit playing finals
I would think Armo will play a bit at Sandy this year, which could be a really good thing at mentoring the young ones coming through. I thought he played really well last year at Sandy, but was off the pace at AFL level.

Maybe it was the wet track but he looked too top heavy another player stuck in limbo i don't think the club knows what his best position is as he played off HFF on Sunday.

Yeah, he was getting around the ground a bit in the intra too. He looked quite sharp skilled and driven. Lonie and him were coving much more ground than we are used to.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
This board sometimes.....

tenor-47.gif

Never change BF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would think Armo will play a bit at Sandy this year, which could be a really good thing at mentoring the young ones coming through. I thought he played really well last year at Sandy, but was off the pace at AFL level.
Armitage will be given a few games this year if he doesn't get a injury - just to give him a farewell before he retires

According to Dinny on the afl site Acres & McKenzie played for Sandy last Sunday & are fit to go. Both off the injury list. Pierce also off the list & available. Also said Steven has returned to training & likey to play early in the season, which could mean round 1?
early in the season would mean rounds 2 -4

WTF does a WAFL team's development have to do with our chances vs the Suns?

Anyway with the list of names we have out, combined with all the pressure on the Suns to even remain in existence, I wont be shocked if Miller, Fiorini, Swallow and Martin go nuts and we drop this one. Witts is going to DOMINATE in the ruck so our on ball team need to be absolutely on point to win that first touch.

If the Suns start getting clean ball out of the middle to Wright, Day and Lukosious with our 3rd string backline then it'll be over quickly.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Anyway with the list of names we have out, combined with all the pressure on the Suns to even remain in existence, I wont be shocked if Miller, Fiorini, Swallow and Martin go nuts and we drop this one. Witts is going to DOMINATE in the ruck so our on ball team need to be absolutely on point to win that first touch.

If the Suns start getting clean ball out of the middle to Wright, Day and Lukosious with our 3rd string backline then it'll be over quickly.
If that’s the case then we may as well pack up most threads and head over to the draft thread. Get yourself union, nrl, NBA teams; set up the box for the WC cricket and switch the footy off!

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Don't underestimate Pierce , the guy is only starting to mature and he has been earmarked as our number 1 ruckman, if he breaks even with Witts who is no world beater we will demolish the Suns.
They have no one to match Steele , let along Ross and with pig dog Dunstan getting the hard ball they will be totally ripped apart.
The silky skills of Billing , Gresham , Long will give Bruce , Marshall and Membery a field day.
Don't worry about our back line , Joyce has the body on him now to contest with any big man.
Geary , Webster , Savage , McKenzie will more than hold the forwards.
Webster is capable of filling Roberton position and Battle could be anything.

If we don't beat the Suns by more than 7 goals something is wrong.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Is the list cut-off today at 5?

Will we see a couple more players added if Dylan and Paddy have to call it quits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back