Autopsy Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

Christ, I hope not. Every time he kicked long & every time it came back out (unless I missed one). He's either operating under instructions to just kick long regardless of the contest or he doesn't know how to do anything else.
Add that to the questions we can ask Richo when he makes his BigFooty guest appearance. George is gonna make it happen.

Does anyone else think that McKenzie would be far better suited to playing wing? He can run all day, is quite quick, has neat skills and is tough at the contest. When we use him as a defensive-minded defender, we expose his very poor ability as a one-on-one defender, and lose many of his best attributes.

True. I've watched the replay a few times and I'm not sure how the umpire could have paid the free kick but my feelings are still the same. When your teammate is having a shot for goal, spend your time congratulating the players that put him in that position and not engaging in an act that may jeopardise that shot at goal.
It was stupid and I could see him giving away a free kick the moment I saw him size up the GC player as stuv was walking back to line up. Needs to be smarter.

Ok, finally saw the replay. Makes sense that it was close given were 16th and 17th last season. But I was hoping that we'd beat them comfortably. We get the 4 points, but it doesn't fill me with hope for the season.

Highlights:
-Parker's first half (two out on the full kicks not excluded).
-That beautiful clearance by Ross.
-The clutch goal from Kent.
-Brucies game.
-Newnes seems back to his old self with some great gut running and disposal inside 50.
-Joyce, Battle, and Wilkie all showed great signs in defence, not sure who makes way for Brown.
-Jack Steven's game, came on to rest forward, wound up controlling the stoppages. (And take that wannabe-ITK poster with a "legitimate source" saying that Steven wouldn't return, you know who you are).

Lowlights:
-Long was playing far to undisciplined. Cost Steven a shot on goal and lost our momentum. Gave away other needless free kicks when the game was on the line.
-Our disposal again, big surprise.
-Pierce was monstered in the ruck then contributed next to nothing around the ground.

Changes for next week.
-Joyce for Brown. (Harsh on Joyce I know, but we can't keep our best fullback on the sidelines).
-Long for Marshal. (Less free kicks against and we can keep Bruce where he needs to be).
-Dunstan for Clark. (Three change seems too many after a win, but if there's one more, this is it).

When will supporters of this club demand higher expectations instead of looking for positives in a 1 point win against the bottom side.
I expect to be competitive and win . That should be the minimum requirement as supporters not defending mediocrity and saying good try .

When will supporters of this club demand higher expectations instead of looking for positives in a 1 point win against the bottom side.
I expect to be competitive and win . That should be the minimum requirement as supporters not defending mediocrity and saying good try .
You do realise we have no bearing on the club whether we jump up and down or whether we enjoy the win. So as we have no ability to improve the side I’m going with enjoying win instead of thinking jumping up and down will help the club. It won’t.

We were competitive and we won.

The list is in pretty bad shape, we all want to see us challenging but it's not going to be this year.

Really?

I don't think there is a person on here that isn't demanding higher standards or happy to accept mediocrity.

So I'm not sure who you're arguing with or what your point is.

Just because a few of us aren't losing our s**t doesn't mean we are satisfied with yesterday as a benchmark for the season.

The funny thing is we were a bottom team and we demand improvement and expect us to improve.

So if we can improve, why can't the Suns also improve? Maybe they have.

Just like last year when the experts predicted Norf to win the spoon and we all post it round 2... Except Norf had actually improved.

I dont think anyone is gloating or saying it was a cracking win.

Anyway, carry on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think that McKenzie would be far better suited to playing wing? He can run all day, is quite quick, has neat skills and is tough at the contest. When we use him as a defensive-minded defender, we expose his very poor ability as a one-on-one defender, and lose many of his best attributes.
Well he was drafted as a wingman so it makes sense. The problem is we've already got a few wingmen in Billings, Newnes, Sinclair and even Acres when he comes back in.

I'd be happy to see him spend some time there though.

He very well could have been, although I think those types of thoughts would have come after some time to reflect on the game, for example in his press conference Richo himself said he was surprised with the gusto the song was sung by the boys after the game.
I feel the smirk was a response to us pulling a Homer and falling over the line for the W and giving him another week in the head coach role TBH. again just my opinion, and a probably wrong one at that!

By the way, turning to positives (as even I know I have posted pretty much nothing but negatives in the last couple days!) Stuv's game was absolutely inspiring for a bloke who has been away from the club with mental health issues, he was in everything that he could be in in that last quarter and was a big part of us getting over the line in the end.

Also battle/joyce were good I thought, they both made mistakes and got beat at times but for a couple of basically first gamers in those positions I think they were bettera than expected to be. I hope we persist with them
He does seem to struggle with reading how the players feel and whats going on with them
I mean really coming off a 4 win season putting a huge pre season in having 3 1st gamer's playing and winning the 1st game the year by a point DOH

I thought we were actually competitive and we won.

aPaint.png

An insight in to a teams forward line efficiency success rate once the ball enters their forward 50 metre arc.

Fremantle scored at a rate of 2.07 Points Per Inside 50 against Nth Melbourne, the Dockers scored a round high 141pts from 68 Inside 50 entries.

No surprise Essendon were ranked poorly in Round 1, the Bombers scored 40pts from 52 Inside 50 entries against the Giants.

https://aflratings.com.au/2019/03/25/by-the-numbers-points-per-inside-50-round-1/

He does seem to struggle with reading how the players feel and whats going on with them
I mean really coming off a 4 win season putting a huge pre season in having 3 1st gamer's playing and winning the 1st game the year by a point DOH
Did you miss the part where he clarified and said his comment was more a reflection of how him and the coaches felt towards the win since we had a team where we wanted at half time yet almost let them steal it?

Did you miss the part where he clarified and said his comment was more a reflection of how him and the coaches felt towards the win since we had a team where we wanted at half time yet almost let them steal it?
Please only look for anything negative you can find on richo. Bashing is the name of the game

Jog on kid. We’re supporters, support is in the name. We aren’t in a position to demand anything and this whole thread has included posters analysing both the good and bad.

If you can’t stick it out in the bad years then jump ship and follow Hawthorn.

Last edited:
Massively this.

It’s like after that psychologically we thought we had the game won even though we never reflected that on the scoreboard. Dropped the effort and let them right back into it.

GC looked like rabbits in the headlight Q2.
I think the disappointment lies in the fact we‘re coming of an atrocious year last year where we “picked and chose” the times we’d show effort and I would have expected a much greater 4 quarter performance than what we dished up.

Good teams can afford to shift gears, we’re not a good team yet.

On Ins and Outs for this week, I’d be very reluctant to drop Joyce. He’s improved leaps and bounds.

Fair enough but there should be for winning. I clapped yesterday for winning. Again how stupid would a parent look if they yelled at their kid because he didn’t win by enough

Except that it's not your kid, it's entertainment, but in Melbourne it becomes part of your identity. Poor club reflects badly on the individual and it can really piss you off when you feel like the club isn't doing things right. I don't know why people crack the shits at opinions they find negative. It suggests that you aren't secure in your own beliefs if you cut down their opinions.

We have screwed s**t up for along time, hopefully the latest lot have it under control and we have a better season than the last one.

Except that it's not your kid, it's entertainment, but in Melbourne it becomes part of your identity. Poor club reflects badly on the individual and it can really piss you off when you feel like the club isn't doing things right. I don't know why people crack the shits at opinions they find negative. It suggests that you aren't secure in your own beliefs if you cut down their opinions.

We have screwed s**t up for along time, hopefully the latest lot have it under control and we have a better season than the last one.
I think the exact opposite, if you are so insecure, you are defined by your football club, you are a bit sad and really not very adult.

We were and we did.

Now onto next week after which you can ask the same question.

Hopefully you get the same answer.

Who has cracked the shits for negative opinions. I’m pointing out the stupidity of it that’s not cracking it. By the way gringo he brought the parent thing. I again pointed out the stupidity of it. And I think I’m very secure with my own opinions. That’s why I will continue to say them. I find it amazing that you continue to know the workings of peoples thoughts and brain function.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back