Review Round 1 2019 vs Melbourne

Who was your BOG?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PORT ADELAIDE

Ken Hinkley described this win as his “best” at the Power. His side was well beaten early but fought back and then seized control of the game, earning a well deserved four points. With four debutants — Connor Rozee, Xavier Duursma, Zak Butters and Willem Drew — in the side the win was certainly special.

In the votes

Scott Lycett was magnificent against Max Gawn, nullifying the star ruckman. Tom Rockliff did a power of work through the midfield with Travis Boak, while Jack Watts was excellent down back. Justin Westhoff booted five majors and was the standout forward on the ground.

Room for improvement

It was hard to be critical of any player given the magnitude of Port’s win. Young midfielder Sam Powell-Pepper threatened all day but had a few moments he’d like over. He finished the match with seven clangers.

Grade

A+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/06ca03aea9433f96f2310dfd3db14665

the first 2 quarters it was 4 v 9 in each one so that means second half we won 12 v 8. Traditional post half time attempted square up by the umps.
The 2 frees they got in the first 40secs had me in the old "here we go again" mode.
From a 27-9 (?) scoreline in the 1st qtr and lord knows the free kick count to what the stats were at the end was impressive.
+90 odd uncontested possessions screams coaching to me so well done to all concerned.
Couldn't be happier all round and that goes for our Big Footy board as well, it's been a pretty miserable place for a long time.

Well in the first 5 rounds we play Melbourne, the fast improving Brisbane and West Coast, all away, plus Richmond at home thrown in for good measure. We'll have a very good idea of where we're at very early in the piece.
Well that's the draw you get when you go deep into finals the yr before :rolleyes:.
I loved that Watts had a great game but for importance my prize goes to Lycett. Working Gawn over was crucial.
Patrick Ryder a little bit of just playing his role. Nothing memorable except a sub-par shot on goal. But always active, always a looming threat.
Carn. Anyone would think he'd had a knock to the head requiring some minor surgery and as for a sub-par shot on goal,
50m out and it all but shaves the goal post. Harsh. Otherwise agreed with your rundown.

Burton - Some people questioned his performances in the pre season but I don't think they'll be questioning him now. Thought he was pretty close to BOG. Dominated down back, was cool with the ball and provided plenty of creativity. Deserved a goal as well. Great game
:thumbsu:
Technically he wasn't a debutant but geez I liked what I saw and imo he'll only get better.

Just quietly thinking to myself how much speed we appeared to have on the weekend. Seemed like we were getting the ball on the outside with absolute ease and abundance.

The addition of Butters, Rozee and Duursma along with moving Rockliff back inside and having confident Amon has given us so many more options with our ball movement. Also seem to be making far quicker decisions.

Went into this season that lack of foot speed was going to be a real issue. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

I sat in the Ponsford stand and 5 minutes into the last qtr saw Butters, Marshall and Rozee lining up at HF….I just smiled and looked at our future. Then at the other end watched Houstan, Burton and Bonner show immense composure and connection. I love that Ken has faith in these kids.

Not sure if anyone has said it but geez how punchable is Melksham?!

Very. At the end when he's trying to act all tough and Jonas is laughing at him. Bliss

Amon and Watts can take a bow. Best game by both of them for the club.

So much good about today. Basically all played well.

We certainly look shaky down back at times, but it's all very positive for a round 1 performance.
Only shaky in the first qtr when the midfield was getting ripped apart, backs were bombarded for 20 minutes, it was relentless. Back 6 were very good, the connection was great and their willingness to run was pleasing to see. They are not predictable like last year. Don't underestimate the connection between Burton & Bonner, they played a lot of jnr footy together. Will only get better as they know each others game very well. Very enjoyable to be there and watch the kids play with no fear.

Just quietly thinking to myself how much speed we appeared to have on the weekend. Seemed like we were getting the ball on the outside with absolute ease and abundance.

The addition of Butters, Rozee and Duursma along with moving Rockliff back inside and having confident Amon has given us so many more options with our ball movement. Also seem to be making far quicker decisions.

Went into this season that lack of foot speed was going to be a real issue. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

So many of Rockliff's 44 touches were clever short kicks/handballs to a player in space setting up that run. He's going to transform our team this year.

Skills were shocking in the first. Not too bad for the rest of the game. Pepper, though, what is going on there?.. I know he's not the cleanest (hopefully that change asap), but I don't think he did one thing clean, it was all a bit ugly. His shot at goal which just missed was his highlight.

Carn Peps, get it together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main point of the midfield presentation at the member convention was all about holding shape around the contest, to actually provide options to move the ball on. Our inside work previously has been quick kick or burst out. Long may this continue. I don't actually believe we've added that much speed (Polec and Wingard were no slouches) but we're definitely set up to play quicker.

I’ll have to watch the full replay but as it unfolded live on tv I definitely noticed the positioning of players outside the contest. If it was noticeable live in the heat of the game, it must’ve been pretty good.

Camera angle opposed to JLT 2 at Alberton helped showcase this as well.

It was clear we had outside players positioned we’ll immediately outside the contest (3-5m) but also well positioned a medium distance (10-20m) away to start running to receive or provide a clear outlet option.

I do think Melbourne overcommitted to the contest a bit, but that is their style.

Only shaky in the first qtr when the midfield was getting ripped apart, backs were bombarded for 20 minutes, it was relentless. Back 6 were very good, the connection was great and their willingness to run was pleasing to see. They are not predictable like last year. Don't underestimate the connection between Burton & Bonner, they played a lot of jnr footy together. Will only get better as they know each others game very well. Very enjoyable to be there and watch the kids play with no fear.

The early turnovers made us look shaky down back because they would get back in numbers as we were caught out of position pushing forward with the flow. I thought a few of their players did a bit of what we called goal-hanging once upon a time instead of chasing and pressuring.

Melbourne tend to run ahead of the ball hoping to win the majority of contested ball. That's why they can belt sides but also come undone convincingly.

I’ll have to watch the full replay but as it unfolded live on tv I definitely noticed the positioning of players outside the contest. If it was noticeable live in the heat of the game, it must’ve been pretty good.

Camera angle opposed to JLT 2 at Alberton helped showcase this as well.

It was clear we had outside players positioned we’ll immediately outside the contest (3-5m) but also well positioned a medium distance (10-20m) away to start running to receive or provide a clear outlet option.

I do think Melbourne overcommitted to the contest a bit, but that is their style.

It was a strategy highlighted by Schoey and Our Thommo at the Member's Convention, not getting drawn like bees to the honeypot. We have worked hard on that over pre-season, good to see it work.

To all the grumpy sods here who over the off season have worn everyone else down.

"Sit perfectly still, only I may dance"

GSBvXK9.gif

It was a strategy highlighted by Schoey and Our Thommo at the Member's Convention, not getting drawn like bees to the honeypot. We have worked hard on that over pre-season, good to see it work.
Strategically we look a million times better.

It is so nice to look out there and see sensible strategies being planned and actioned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The main point of the midfield presentation at the member convention was all about holding shape around the contest, to actually provide options to move the ball on. Our inside work previously has been quick kick or burst out. Long may this continue. I don't actually believe we've added that much speed (Polec and Wingard were no slouches) but we're definitely set up to play quicker.
I also thought that we demonstrated a willingness to "play what is front of us". That obviously resulted in a few turnovers in the first, and it felt like that was partly adjusting to the intensity of the match.

Watching the game I felt like the quality of the Melbourne mids showed early, but the depth of our midfield options and rotation wore them down, especially with some of them being a bit underdone.

ATTACK

Time in forward half - Port 52%, Melbourne 48%

Disposals - Port 426, Melbourne 333

Disposal Efficiency - Port 76%, Melbourne 72%

Kick Efficiency - Port 71%, Melbourne 69%

Contested Possessions - Port 151, Melbourne 150 (This is what happens when everyone goes when it's their turn and plays as a team)

Ground Ball Gets - Port 99, Melbourne 99

Hard Ball Gets - Port 38, Melbourne 40

Contested Marks - Port 12, Melbourne 8

Uncontested Possessions - Port 276, Melbourne 183 (This is what happens when you run and spread effectively)

Kicks - Port 231, Melbourne 210

Short Kicks - Port 103, Melbourne 77

Long Kicks - Port 60, Melbourne 67

Handballs - Port 195, Melbourne 123

Free Kicks - Port 20, Melbourne 28

Inside 50s - Port 59, Melbourne 45

Kicks Backward - Port 11, Melbourne 7

Clangers - Port 61, Melbourne 65

Marks - Port 102, Melbourne 76

Uncontested Marks - Port 90, Melbourne 68 (This is what happens when you keep players on the outside)

Marks Inside 50 - Port 15, Melbourne 14

Marks on Lead - Port 6, Melbourne 1

Goals Per Inside 50 % - Port 20%, Melbourne 20%

STOPPAGE

Hitouts - Port 32, Melbourne 29

Hitouts to Advantage - Port 12, Melbourne 12

Clearances - Port 30, Melbourne 33

Centre Clearances - Port 9, Melbourne 15 (Told you it wouldn't make a difference)

Scores From Stoppage - Port 6.3 (39), Melbourne 2.1 (13)

DEFENCE

Intercept Possessions - Port 84, Melbourne 75

Intercept Marks - Port 14, Melbourne 7 (Much better than excessive spoiling)

Turnovers - Port 75, Melbourne 83

Spoils - Port 30, Melbourne 23

Shepherds - Port 7, Melbourne 4

Smothers - Port 9, Melbourne 9

Tackles - Port 71, Melbourne 53 (Means we were dominant in close)

Tackles Inside 50 - Port 8, Melbourne 12

Pressure Factor - Port 1.87, Melbourne 1.76 (+0.11 differential. To put this in perspective, Collingwood were 1st to June last year with a differential of +0.078)

Scores From Turnover - Port 6.11 (47), Melbourne 7.6 (48) (Should have been a lot more...how many times did we * up on the break with an errant handball? Too many times to count)

Back