Autopsy Round 1 2020: 3 point win vs Adelaide @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Parker is not a liability in the middle. He was bvery good in there and got 30 disposals. A lot of his handball set up Ollie and the other running types. JPK combined well with them too. I am impressed he was able to change his style a bit and give off really well. He has a tendency to set players up for the big takedown at times. Our mids were fed by Big Sam's 28 hitouts, 5 clearances and his ability to put his big frame in and effect the contest so out smalls could extract.

Truth be told I barely noticed Parker yesterday, so when the commentators said he was approaching 30 disposals I was quite surprised.

Noted w McCartin....his approach to goal from his mark from the clearance V’s his approach to goal on the angle, 1 with an arc and kicked where he ran, one a direct approach to goal and right though the middle.....kicking coaches pleas note!

19 disposals in the NEAFL is not something that gave me huge confidence as the NEAFL is no where near the level of even the VFL. Jesse White regularly kicked massive bags of goals in the NEAFL.

Still, I am very happy that my doubts about McInerney's ball finding ability were way off base.

The only players that tend to clock up big numbers in the NEAFL are players on the inside (start in centre square). McInerney isn’t an inside or centre square player (*yet, I don’t want to limit him).

Getting 19, in your first year in the AFL system as well as being a player that was plucked from relative obscurity, is a more than satisfying result. I’ll also add he uses the ball very well by foot.

For outside players it’s more about his positioning, which is very good for a young kid. It’s not all about the quantity of disposals.

I like the kid McInerney

That effort in the middle alone gets him a game
McInerney was at the level and played well. He also showed a bit of what the recruiters saw in him with his aggressiveness in defence. Don’t forget he was a true late bloomer at junior level and had terrific upside. Wait til he gets the chance to run in space and you will see another side. More games like yesterday and he will be a permanent fixture in this team.

Last edited:
Also not sure how you would fit him in but I would almost be a fan of bringing Sinclair into the team next week and play him as a proper key forward, at least until Buddy or Ried come back. Sinclair is actually a rather handy key forward. In fact I think he is a much better key forward than he is a ruckman.

Trouble with Sinclair is that he was poor in the preseason games and at 30 he is probably in the twighlight of his career. He had those really great games when he first came to the club where he kicked bags as a FF. But he has not been able to repeat that even when forward. This preseason he dropped marks, was beaten to the ball and was thrown out of the contest far too easily. He was slow and looked lethargic. I think we need to move on and try another option. I would prefer Amartey, McLean or Knoll to get game time so we can develop at least two of them.

On the backline not working as well as expected. I think when he gets some game time Maibaum has to be in the mix. We can still include an extra tall as Rampe can play on the dangerous smalls. Jack proved at NEAFL level he is a very good lock-down defender. He was miserly. He is generally a good decision maker in the Grundy style.

Trouble with Sinclair is that he was poor in the preseason games and at 30 he is probably in the twighlight of his career. He had those really great games when he first came to the club where he kicked bags as a FF. But he has not been able to repeat that even when forward. This preseason he dropped marks, was beaten to the ball and was thrown out of the contest far too easily. He was slow and looked lethargic. I think we need to move on and try another option. I would prefer Amartey, McLean or Knoll to get game time so we can develop at least two of them.

On the backline not working as well as expected. I think when he gets some game time Maibaum has to be in the mix. We can still include an extra tall as Rampe can play on the dangerous smalls. Jack proved at NEAFL level he is a very good lock-down defender. He was miserly. He is generally a good decision maker in the Grundy style.

The problem for Sinclair is that he hasn't really been able to be used as a proper key forward ever since Naismith went down over 2 years ago. He has been forced to be a ruckman. I really do think Sinclair is a better key forward than ruckman and key forward is his natural position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem for Sinclair is that he hasn't really been able to be used as a proper key forward ever since Naismith went down over 2 years ago. He has been forced to be a ruckman. I really do think Sinclair is a better key forward than ruckman and key forward is his natural position.

He played half the preseason games at FF and looked in no mans land. Just hurt us on the rebound.

Truth be told I barely noticed Parker yesterday, so when the commentators said he was approaching 30 disposals I was quite surprised.
I was in the same boat, and to me that is such a big plus because Florent really grabbed the game at times and Parker was able to do what he does. For Parker to have such a good game whilst almost flying under the radar imo ...our midfield is now in full transition. The next level for Florent is now to build real consistency in his game...same to be said for the other young players as well....yesterday though was a terriffic step.

I was in the same boat, and to me that is such a big plus because Florent really grabbed the game at times and Parker was able to do what he does. For Parker to have such a good game whilst almost flying under the radar imo ...our midfield is now in full transition. The next level for Florent is now to build real consistency in his game...same to be said for the other young players as well....yesterday though was a terriffic step.

Florent needs to fix his kicking but if he can do that then he is going to be a very good centre clearance player for us.

Loved Allirs tackle yesterday....he seemed to struggle to get into the game but that tackle was a cracker..

It feels like everyone got the memo... except lloyd.
I love Dawson off half back... his kicks just sail over players and allow the small fwds to be involved.
Most pleasing. No bombing into fwd fifty, no bombing to the sideline
Parker was immense
Oliie was very very good
Sam N.
The forward line was a zipping bunch of different angles..

*it feels weird to be playing footy at this time ...and to be honest ...Overall i'm not a fan.
But thats another thread

Where exactly is that location on an Oval shaped playing surface ?

Last edited:
Reid won't even get to the line this week Punts. Its a soft tissue injury mate and we've seen this story before.
If he is fit, he will play no doubts about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back