Autopsy Round 1 2020: 3 point win vs Adelaide @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

You all have 10 weeks to get your POTY votes in

Jase Cutler

All Australian
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The upside of all this is that by the start of the re-commenced season we will have ALL our injured players back. Finals here we come*!

*in 2023 when this is all over.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
At this stage we have a top 8 finish, Heeney looks like winning the Coleman and battling it out with Parker for the Brownlow. It was a much better season than expected even if we didn't get many games into our young players. Shame that Buddy, Reid and Hewett missed the whole season but at least Buddy can kill it in the early pre-season and we can all hope (again).

Seriously though, it's not so bad with a young team with plenty of footy still ahead of them. I wonder if we could spend the year playing GWS every week until our youngsters learn to beat them.

So if the last 10 years is considered a reasonable sample size then we have a 60% chance of playing in a GF if we win Rd 1 and a 100% chance of playing finals. So this year we'll play in finals, more then likely we'll reach the GF where we'll have a 1 in 3 chance of winning the premiership. There's a 100% chance that Horse will be coach for the following year. regardless of GF outcome, and Kenny will still be joining in the singing, a 20% chance that Buddy will be playing for Hawthorn next year, an 80% chance that Kennedy will rank well in the Brownlow and a 20% chance that Goodes will retire and David Bowie will pass away in the following year (again). On the plus side there's also a 20% chance that the next year will be 2016, so we can replay that bloody grand final where we were cheated by the umpires.

Stats. You can bend them to show pretty much anything if the audience is gullible enough.
78% of all stats are made up.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Think we will continue with the mosquito fleet which means Reid might get left out.
Not that it's relevant anymore given the season has ended but I think we could have used a big target forward. Reid hate aside, he makes a pretty good contest, is a strong contested mark and will at least bring the ball to ground. A bunch of small & mid sized forwards work best with a tall target who demands the ball, a focal point if you like. We turned over the ball consistently across half-forward and failed to capitalise on our midfield dominance. I'd like to see how we go with Hewett back in the inside, the ball getting hand-balled to our outside mids who hit up a big target deep inside 50. In the best case it's a mark inside 50, worst case it's a chaotic ground ball with our mosquito fleet darting and harrassing in waves. Add Buddy roaming around 40-80m out ....... Ah well, it's all academic now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swanee

All Australian
Jun 23, 2009
Darwin until I can get cruising funds together.
AFL Club
Sydney
And Alir. He is an intercept mark but has no clue defending one on one and gets caught taking too much time too often lack of spatial awareness. I’m 62 and I could have got rid of that ball before getting caught
Aliir wasn’t up to his normal self, everyone has a bad day sometimes. He’s an amazing player and I wouldn’t be bagging him after one ordinary game!

Reid was going to tear the comp up this year

60’goal season

Injuries, youth and corona virus have stopped him from reaching his potential.

Can we try to work in volcanoes for next season?

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Aliir wasn’t up to his normal self, everyone has a bad day sometimes. He’s an amazing player and I wouldn’t be bagging him after one ordinary game!

Your right and wrong here Swanee.

Entitled to a bad day as a KPD in the AFL ? Right. Amazing Player ? Wrong. ( Not Just Yet )

If we are being honest his game on the weekend had him looking very unsure of himself,lacking confidence and timid in congestion where there was physical contact. He was poor.

Nice stat on 360/Couch about playing on and scoring early. Didn’t play on once in the last and only kicked 4 points. I can understand playing slightly more defensive when you have the lead but jeez, stick with it when it’s working Horse.

Honestly reckon the boys were knackered. We actually had a lot of the territory and momentum in the first five or so minutes of that quarter, continuing on our merry way from the previous two quarters, but things started to come undone a bit. Some of the run and carry that was there in the middle quarters became very sloppy, shots at goal started to become a bit more haphazard, and there was just a general inability to spread. Our boys were clearly stuffed, not surprising considering it had been a hard-fought match in for a young side in the one round where teams can generally struggle to get off the canvas.

So we tried to attack, clearly wasn't working, and then moved to tempo footy, which given all of the above and the shortened quarter, I thought was a good idea. It didn't scream defensive to me (and I will be the first to concede that that can be a weakness of Horse's.)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Nice stat on 360/Couch about playing on and scoring early. Didn’t play on once in the last and only kicked 4 points. I can understand playing slightly more defensive when you have the lead but jeez, stick with it when it’s working Horse.
Last year there was an article about how much we played on from the beginning of the yr vs the end of the yr. From memory the less we played on resulted in our performances getting better.

There's really 2 ways to look at it though:
-Do you play on more because you're attacking more?
-Do you play on less because the other team has now blocked your avenues of attack?

Probably a bit of both on the weekend.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
There's really 2 ways to look at it though:
-Do you play on more because you're attacking more?
-Do you play on less because the other team has now blocked your avenues of attack?

Probably a bit of both on the weekend.
So we tried to attack, clearly wasn't working, and then moved to tempo footy, which given all of the above and the shortened quarter, I thought was a good idea. It didn't scream defensive to me (and I will be the first to concede that that can be a weakness of Horse's.)

Both very well made points. There's so much that goes in to how a team is playing. No coach, ever, at any point, spends an entire quarter playing a defensive plan. They can definitely be forced into it by having other plans stifled though.

The play on stat from last year gels with what I remember, a lot of frenetic playing on and turning over from a young team still working out the systems and fading in and out of games.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
McInerney has pace and and skill which look promising but he also showed he's no pushover. He threw himself around a number of times to either win the ball or win space for a teammate. Won at least two frees because of it (he won three in total).

There isn't much of him but he looked right at home with the seniors in round 1.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
One ordinary game sure, but his whole 2020 season has been ordinary. Time to move him aside and let some of the young guys have a crack ?

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
McInerney has pace and and skill which look promising but he also showed he's no pushover. He threw himself around a number of times to either win the ball or win space for a teammate. Won at least two frees because of it (he won three in total).

There isn't much of him but he looked right at home with the seniors in round 1.
A frustrated Walker had a bitch at McInerney after he laid a solid tackle. Good to see a young lad getting under Tex's skin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back