Round 1, 2020 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 1 WC v NM Perth Rd 2 NM v Melb Hobart Rd 3 BL v NM Gabba Rd 4 WB v NM Marvel Rd 5 NM v Freo Hobart Rd 6 NM v GC Marvel

I love how our one year of AFLW has made its way into the reasons for never winning in Round 1.

Really looking forward to seeing what Shaw changes and puts forward in the preseason, and hoping it builds confidence that spills into round 1. Our first games have been generally horrible for so long, but it also feels like we haven’t headed into round 1 with any real belief or momentum in that time.

Pump fitness and strength into our youngsters. All working on repeat sprint efforts to improve existing leg speed. Draft and trade well for a decent small forward, a fast rebounding HB of the Ash mould and look to get guys like Walker/Scott on the park.

Who knows???? This year a side who won the flag two years ago and the minor premiership last year played last year's wooden spooner twice and had their last 7 H&A games on their home ground. GWS has won a final in each of the last three years and made two PFs in that time, but are locked in to play the Suns twice every single year.

Safe to say that the AFL makes this up on the fly.
So you are saying that...........

Oh. * the AFL. Cheating campaigners.

Wonder where our back to back interstate games will be I’m thinking cairns and Adelaide

Prefer a difficult draw personaly. Playing mobs like gold coast and godees tells us nothing.

The only thing a hard draw year after year tells us is the AFL are campaigners.

Why should we only have to play the Suns once a year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Williams Daw Vickers-Willis
HB: Pittard Tarrant Atley
C: Polec Higgins Dumont
HF: Zurhaar Larkey Wood
F: Thomas Brown Ziebell
R: Goldstein Cunnington Jacobs
I: Anderson Simpkin Davies-Uniacke Ahern Garner McDonald MacMillan Turner Hall Walker Scott

Survival of the fittest come March

Right, it has been pissing me off all arvo with all this talk of getting second rate players from other clubs. I decided to see what our fittest (minor injuries allowed) and contracted top 22 would look like. Here is my R1 2020 side:

B: Williams, Tarrant, ??
HB: Pittard, Durdin, Atley
C: Dumont, Higgins, Polec
HF: Zurhaar, Larkey, Ziebell
F: Thomas, Brown, Garner

Foll: Goldy, Anderson, Cunnington

I/C: Simpkin, LDU, BMac, Ahern

Our depth (currently fit) is Hosie, Murphy, Taylor, Turner, JMac

Injured and question marks over their availability: Daw, Hayden, Jacobs, LMac, BScott, EVW, Walker, Hall I deliberating left these guys out, not one is a walk-up start and some may not play again let alone one more game.

The rest of the list will be traded, delisted or just not good enough for AFL.

The two questions I have who is the best back pocket going around and what is the Plan B for Goldy? We could play Turner or BMac pending the opposition which means we can add another player. Goldy is interesting, Big Tom is not the Plan B and Xerri suffers Goldy syndrome (the last three ruck prospects have been moved on).

BF experts (you know who you are!) think that we should get Papley and Jones (just a reminder that neither made the AA squad yet one is a 1st round pick!). Who in our current Forward line would we drop to bring in Papley? Where does Jones fit in? The likes of Dumont and Atley are holding spots for Walker and BScott. A fit EVW is a walk up start for the backline.

The last thing we need is a second has been/or never was that we paid overs for and will now block the progression of our young players. We (BF) have been screaming all year to play the kids to give them a chance. The coach got sacked because he didn't play the kids enough and the experts are jumping up and down to do what Scott was doing. Play the kids, give them a season to cut their teeth, not 2-3 games and say they are not good enough.

In short we should be chasing a Goldy replacement in the draft.
BTW trading BMac is the stupidest idea that has ever been mentioned on BF. Those who have mentioned should hang their heads in shame and quit BF.

We got 48K this year. The biggest attendance at any game at Marvel this year. That we played one of the most spiritless, pathetic performances in our recent history won't mean a thing to the AFL. $$$$ talks so we'll play the * again and hopefully we'll put in an effort than is better that s**thouse.
We also were 1-3 coming into the game. Imagine if we are 3-1 or 4-0 coming into Good Friday. 50,000+.

Fixture prediction (Up to Good Friday)

Round 1 (H) V Bulldogs (Saturday Afternoon, Marvel Stadium)
Round 2 (A) V Lions (Saturday Afternoon, Gabba)
Round 3 (H) V Suns (Sunday Afternoon, Marvel Stadium)
Round 4 (A) V Hawks (Saturday Night, MCG)
Round 5 (H) V Bombers (‘Good’ Friday Night, Marvel Stadium)

Edit: (This is just a spitball idea).

Pump fitness and strength into our youngsters. All working on repeat sprint efforts to improve existing leg speed. Draft and trade well for a decent small forward, a fast rebounding HB of the Ash mould and look to get guys like Walker/Scott on the park.
Yeah and skill . We have no ******* skill .. shitty handballs at the feet hack kicks to no one . Long bombs to a pack . It’s just frustrating watching over paid spuds just spud it up . I hope Shaw brings in Skill and composure.

Prefer a difficult draw personaly. Playing mobs like gold coast and godees tells us nothing.

Meh if it gets you the wins (not saying the 2020 versions of those 2 will) then you take it.

Nobody remembers easy draws or rigged fixtures (Exhibit A: Richmond being tethered to the MCG for the last 4 months of a season..).

Only the silverware gets recalled. Baby up our draw please AFL.

The only thing a hard draw year after year tells us is the AFL are campaigners.

Why should we only have to play the Suns once a year?
because they are crap, might as well have 2 byes for the year, we have a list that needs to develop, playing hacks like the suns offers nothing.

because they are crap, might as well have 2 byes for the year, we have a list that needs to develop, playing hacks like the suns offers nothing.

We have to play them once or twice why does an extra 4 points matter in the overall scheme of things?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back