Round 1, 2020 - Best 22

NORTH MELBOURNE

This squad is far from set, starting with the key defensive posts. Majak Daw was good in 2018 before serious injuries sidelined him for all bar four VFL games this year, while Josh Walker joins as a delisted free agent. Sam Durdin is right in the thick of that race, Ben McKay will try to put himself back in it, and Jamie Macmillan is another option if the Roos prefer a different type. Ben Jacobs, Aaron Hall and Dom Tyson all had wretched 2019 campaigns for varying reasons. Jed Anderson and Bailey Scott could force their way in on pre-season form, and Will Walker (after a season out with injury), Paul Ahern, Tom Murphy, Kyron Hayden and Aiden Bonar are wildcards. Ed Vickers-Willis' ACL recovery leaves him out. – Marc McGowan

B: Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant, Majak Daw
HB: Jasper Pittard, Josh Walker, Shaun Atley
C: Trent Dumont, Ben Cunnington, Jared Polec
HF: Mason Wood, Nick Larkey, Tarryn Thomas
F: Cameron Zurhaar, Ben Brown, Kayne Turner
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins, Jack Ziebell
I/C: Jy Simpkin, Taylor Garner, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Luke McDonald

DEPTH
Defenders:
Joel Crocker, Sam Durdin, Jamie Macmillan, Matt McGuinness, Ben McKay, Tom Murphy, Flynn Perez, Ed Vickers-Willis
Midfielders: Paul Ahern, Jed Anderson, Aiden Bonar, Aaron Hall, Kyron Hayden, Ben Jacobs, Bailey Scott, Dom Tyson
Forwards: Charlie Comben, Lachie Hosie, Jack Mahony, Curtis Taylor, Will Walker
Rucks: Tom Campbell, Tristan Xerri

I agree with this all but want to see Ahern in for someone need his ball use

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
from Marc McGowan - afl.com

This squad is far from set, starting with the key defensive posts. Majak Daw was good in 2018 before serious injuries sidelined him for all bar four VFL games this year, while Josh Walker joins as a delisted free agent. Sam Durdin is right in the thick of that race, Ben McKay will try to put himself back in it, and Jamie Macmillan is another option if the Roos prefer a different type. Ben Jacobs, Aaron Hall and Dom Tyson all had wretched 2019 campaigns for varying reasons. Jed Andersonand Bailey Scott could force their way in on pre-season form, and Will Walker (after a season out with injury), Paul Ahern, Tom Murphy, Kyron Hayden and Aiden Bonar are wildcards. Ed Vickers-Willis' ACL recovery leaves him out. – Marc McGowan

HB: Jasper Pittard, Josh Walker, Shaun Atley
HF: Mason Wood, Nick Larkey, Tarryn Thomas
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins, Jack Ziebell
I/C: Jy Simpkin, Taylor Garner, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Luke McDonald
Anyone thinka
McDonald,Wood and Turner are in our best side are kidding themselves unless all 3 are training the house down and in super form in the pre season games the 3 of them are FINISHED.
Then come Round 1 season 2021 Atley and Garner will be in the same boat.
This club and our supporters the Number 1 job is to pick up delisted fee agents and draft players to get this club to get it better and potentially win Premierships not to carry players in the AFL or the VFL especially if they old man played in the 80s and 90s for our club.
Time for this club and supporters to stand up and not be bent over like a cheap hore at a Brothel anymore and start making RIGHT decisions for the future of the club.
The Scotts ,Joyce’s , Dilena’s and wounded Women’s are gone we have a new team hear NOW let’s starts it by getting 45k + plus at Round 1 against
💩hit Kilda.
The Dark Days have come and gone let’s start AFresh.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Team balance sees Jed starting in the vfl i agree with McGowan
I dont, most teams apart from the likes of, West coke Brisbane and somewhat hawthorn, turn to water with physicality.. the right balance of ensuring your opponent second guesses themselves when attacking the ball and the ability to execute a game plan is top 4 kind of s**t.. so, therefore If Jed misses round one, he’ll be in the thick of it come crunch time

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
HB: Jasper Pittard,Sam Durdin, Shaun Atley
HF: Jack Ziebell, Nick Larkey, Tarryn Thomas
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins, Jy Simpkin
I/C: Jed Anderson
, Taylor Garner, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Ben Jacobs

This would be my team, with a couple of changes.
Could swap Turner and Garner for FP and Bench spots.

Next guys in: Mids- Bonar, Ahern, Hayden, Scott
Backs: LMac, EVW, JMac, Walker, Murphy
Fwds: Walker, Taylor, Hosie

If we are looking at 100% best players, Jacobs is a lock, and would probably start in the Centre, with Cunnington knocking Jy to the bench.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm still not sold on the idea that we'll play 3 full time tall defenders until I see how Rhyce sets them up.

Thompson could play as a tweener right down to the nippiest small forwards.

Tazz, Majak & Durdin can't do that.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
I'm still not sold on the idea that we'll play 3 full time tall defenders until I see how Rhyce sets them up.

Thompson could play as a tweener right down to the nippiest small forwards)

Tazz, Majak & Durdin can't do that.
10984.jpeg

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Putting Anderson aside, who IM0 is in our best 22, McGowan's team is the team that Brad Scott would play in Round 1.I'm tipping that Bonar, Will Walker, Durdin, Ahern and Scott will be all getting regular games in 2020.. Also expecting Mahoney to be a regular by year's end. I'm also tipping that our seconds will spike in 2020 with all the senior guys running around in it.

The breakdown of McGowan’s side is very balanced

Essentially the 3 tall defenders plus 3 small defenders and a 7th defender on the bench

3 tall forwards 3 smalls and a 7th forward on the bench to rotate

Then the ruck and 5 mids plus 2 mids on the bench

This is why Jed misses. The other mids play ahead of him and we need rotations for other positions. It’s why he missed near the end of year also in rhyces team

I would have Ahern ahead of him also due to ball use and ability to play back and mid

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The breakdown of McGowan’s side is very balanced

Essentially the 3 tall defenders plus 3 small defenders and a 7th defender on the bench

3 tall forwards 3 smalls and a 7th forward on the bench to rotate

Then the ruck and 5 mids plus 2 mids on the bench

This is why Jed misses. The other mids play ahead of him and we need rotations for other positions. It’s why he missed near the end of year also in rhyces team

I would have Ahern ahead of him also due to ball use and ability to play back and mid

Jed is an absolute lock for our best 22 and it is laughable to suggest otherwise. McGowans team maybe well balanced, but who actually plays a well balanced side?
No reason why Jed can’t rotate forward/wing if required also. In fact I would rather play Anderson as a permanent forward than Turner.
Shaw is wanting a major focus on physicality and Anderson is our barometer and has been for the last 2 years.
He has been dropped for what one game in 2 years? Hardly evidence that he isn’t a lock for our best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jed is an absolute lock for our best 22 and it is laughable to suggest otherwise. McGowans team maybe well balanced, but who actually plays a well balanced side?
No reason why Jed can’t rotate forward/wing if required also. In fact I would rather play Anderson as a permanent forward than Turner.
Shaw is wanting a major focus on physicality and Anderson is our barometer and has been for the last 2 years.
He has been dropped for what one game in 2 years? Hardly evidence that he isn’t a lock for our best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was dropped after he only made 3 tackles (despite putting at least 3 hits on Gaff as well) next game he made 9.

Personally I think it was a s**t game to drop him (Burgoine breaking blackfella games record, against his old side etc etc) but if it was purely for on field discipline reasons then I actually approve even more.

Back