Prediction Round 1 2020- Fremantle vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we would be much better off with a 2017 Blakely than Crowden/Colyer. Unfortunately I don't know how Blakely makes his case now.

Ross Lyon-era regulars Connor Blakely, Brandon Matera left at home as Fremantle fly to Melbourne for season opener
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Ross Lyon-era regulars Connor Blakely and Brandon Matera were left at home as Fremantle flew to Melbourne today for their season opener against Essendon at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

The writing had been on the wall for Blakely and Matera for the past month, after they were left out of preferred line-ups in intra-club games and then dropped for the last pre-season fixture against West Coast.

Despite club officials insisting the pair remained in the mix for round one, even an injury list containing eight players was not enough for them to gain a reprieve.

Coach Justin Longmuir opted for defensive capabilities over goals when he left out Matera, who kicked 30 majors from 20 games last season.
Debutant Sam Sturt, Travis Colyer, Bailey Banfield and Lachie Schultz were preferred as small forwards.
Matera was also left out at the start of last season but was back in by round three and played every game for the rest of the season.
Sturt, Fremantle’s top pick in the 2018 national draft with pick 17, will be the only debutant and James Aish will play his first game for the club after crossing from Collingwood.
Longmuir praised Sturt’s improvement and his effort to add weight to his skinny frame and was confident goals would come for the 189cm forward if he kept applying himself defensively.
“He’s got some really clear strengths with the speed and his marking ability and his leading patterns down forward,” he said.
“But I’ve been really impressed with how he’s applied himself defensively. He’s been able to bring his speed to chase, tackle and play his role defensively.
“He provides something a little bit different for us and deserves his opportunity.”
No.8 draft pick Caleb Serong and defender Tobe Watson travelled as emergencies, while Matera and Blakey were also named as emergencies.
Longmuir said 19-year-old Serong, who caught the eye in the club’s second intra-club outing last month, had only narrowly missed selection.
Fellow top-10 picks Hayden Young (quad) and Liam Henry (knee) were not considered due to a lack of game time over the pre-season.
Caleb Serong (L - Pick 8), Hayden Young (Pick 7) and Liam Henry of the Fremantle Dockers (R - Pick 9) pose for a photo.

Defender Luke Ryan (back) and Aish (calf) were declared fit after missing the one-point win over the Eagles, while Sean Darcy will lead the ruck after a troubled build-up.
Longmuir remained upbeat ahead of his coaching debut, despite the extraordinary circumstances created by the coronavirus pandemic.
“It’s probably not the way I envisaged it happening. But I’m excited. It’s my first time as a senior coach,” he said.
“The thing that worries me is making sure that the players are well prepared and I feel like, as a coaching group so far, we’ve prepared our players to what we would want.
“I feel like our players are focussed. They’re showing really good energy. They’ve been positive and realistically they just want to get out there and play.
“I feel like the week’s unfolded really well, which has allowed me to sleep well I guess.”

Ross Lyon-era regulars Connor Blakely, Brandon Matera left at home as Fremantle fly to Melbourne for season opener
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Ross Lyon-era regulars Connor Blakely and Brandon Matera were left at home as Fremantle flew to Melbourne today for their season opener against Essendon at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

The writing had been on the wall for Blakely and Matera for the past month, after they were left out of preferred line-ups in intra-club games and then dropped for the last pre-season fixture against West Coast.

Despite club officials insisting the pair remained in the mix for round one, even an injury list containing eight players was not enough for them to gain a reprieve.

Coach Justin Longmuir opted for defensive capabilities over goals when he left out Matera, who kicked 30 majors from 20 games last season.
Debutant Sam Sturt, Travis Colyer, Bailey Banfield and Lachie Schultz were preferred as small forwards.
Matera was also left out at the start of last season but was back in by round three and played every game for the rest of the season.
Sturt, Fremantle’s top pick in the 2018 national draft with pick 17, will be the only debutant and James Aish will play his first game for the club after crossing from Collingwood.
Longmuir praised Sturt’s improvement and his effort to add weight to his skinny frame and was confident goals would come for the 189cm forward if he kept applying himself defensively.
“He’s got some really clear strengths with the speed and his marking ability and his leading patterns down forward,” he said.
“But I’ve been really impressed with how he’s applied himself defensively. He’s been able to bring his speed to chase, tackle and play his role defensively.
“He provides something a little bit different for us and deserves his opportunity.”
No.8 draft pick Caleb Serong and defender Tobe Watson travelled as emergencies, while Matera and Blakey were also named as emergencies.
Longmuir said 19-year-old Serong, who caught the eye in the club’s second intra-club outing last month, had only narrowly missed selection.
Fellow top-10 picks Hayden Young (quad) and Liam Henry (knee) were not considered due to a lack of game time over the pre-season.
Caleb Serong (L - Pick 8), Hayden Young (Pick 7) and Liam Henry of the Fremantle Dockers (R - Pick 9) pose for a photo.

Defender Luke Ryan (back) and Aish (calf) were declared fit after missing the one-point win over the Eagles, while Sean Darcy will lead the ruck after a troubled build-up.
Longmuir remained upbeat ahead of his coaching debut, despite the extraordinary circumstances created by the coronavirus pandemic.
“It’s probably not the way I envisaged it happening. But I’m excited. It’s my first time as a senior coach,” he said.
“The thing that worries me is making sure that the players are well prepared and I feel like, as a coaching group so far, we’ve prepared our players to what we would want.
“I feel like our players are focussed. They’re showing really good energy. They’ve been positive and realistically they just want to get out there and play.
“I feel like the week’s unfolded really well, which has allowed me to sleep well I guess.”
Annnnd The West cant help but still the boot into Ross.
Reality is Blakely and Matera sucked during pre season. Simple as that. Unfit/not up to speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucketed down with rain on occasions tonight, do we get to play under the roof? I reckon dry weather to help us a bit with Tabs and Lobb.

I like the team they have in. I'm not a huge fan of Banfield, Shultz, Crowden, Bewley but its hard to argue they didn't earn their places in pre-season, Bewley maybe a touch lucky as didn't really fire a shot in the Marsh games.
Seems surreal we're actually going to get to see a game given the state of everything else.
Doubt we'll win but hope to see signs of emerging synergy in the system.

Jeez that side looks fumbly, I know we are changing direction but all the chip kick execution in the world won't save you if you can't take the ball cleanly under the hammer

Iceberg dead ahead for mine

Jeez that side looks fumbly, I know we are changing direction but all the chip kick execution in the world won't save you if you can't take the ball cleanly under the hammer

Iceberg dead ahead for mine

Fumbly? Pace in the front half, yes. But fumbly not really. If you look at Essendons 22 it’s similarly way off their best.

Blakely not getting a game now is pretty damning. Needs to work his arse off from here on in or it's the scrapheap

It’s a challenge for him but he’s twice the footballer Bewley is And I feel that Bewley is rightfully being rewarded for his impressive preseason. Blakely will be back sooner than later imo.

Bombers by less than a goal - 5 points.

It’s a challenge for him but he’s twice the footballer Bewley is And I feel that Bewley is rightfully being rewarded for his impressive preseason. Blakely will be back sooner than later imo.

Bombers by less than a goal - 5 points.
The coach obviously rewarding form ahead of potiential. Blakely is definitely twice the footballer, but need the attitude and skills to back it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back