Preview Round 1, 2020: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 22 March 2020, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 of the 6 defenders are non-runners. Either slow or just don't provide run with the ball. Only Morrison and Frost are runners, and if your KPD is your runner, that's a worry.

I'm worried the mids will flood back to provide the transition run and thus the forwards will have to push up the ground and leave an empty F50.

Against fast teams, the lack of run can be exploited against Hawthorn.

Interested to see how the coaches have used the off season to prepare for this...

Agree completely

Brisbane have named mcstay, mcinerney and hipwood all in their starting forward line.

Gee Impey is a major loss. Sounds crazy, but he is a bigger loss this year than Mitchell was last year. Aside from Sicily's leg, we just lack any line-breakers from the back half.

A back six consisting of Frost, Frawley, McEvoy and Stratton just looks a mess to me. It really needs to be one of Frost or Stratton, and if Stratton wasn't skipper, and it wasn't round one, it would be Frost.

I was really ambivalent towards footy being played until I watched the game tonight, it was a welcomed distraction. I'm looking forward to tuning in Sunday.

Last edited:
ROUND 1 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Brisbane
Sunday 22nd March, 3.20pm AEDT
MCG

B: Ben Stratton, James Frawley, Ben McEvoy
HB: James Sicily, Sam Frost, Harry Morrison
C: Tom Scully, Jaeger O’Meara, Ricky Henderson
HF: Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Isaac Smith
F: Tim O’Brien, Jon Patton, Chad Wingard
R: Jon Ceglar, James Worpel, Tom Mitchell
INT: Jack Gunston, Liam Shiels, Oliver Hanrahan, Paul Puopolo, Michael Hartley, Jack Scrimshaw, James Cousins, Conor Nash

Look at that spine. Not one player originally drafted to the club. I wonder when the last time that was.

ROUND 1 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Brisbane
Sunday 22nd March, 3.20pm AEDT
MCG

B: Ben Stratton, James Frawley, Ben McEvoy
HB: James Sicily, Sam Frost, Harry Morrison
C: Tom Scully, Jaeger O’Meara, Ricky Henderson
HF: Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Isaac Smith
F: Tim O’Brien, Jon Patton, Chad Wingard
R: Jon Ceglar, James Worpel, Tom Mitchell
INT: Jack Gunston, Liam Shiels, Oliver Hanrahan, Paul Puopolo, Michael Hartley, Jack Scrimshaw, James Cousins, Conor Nash
My only disappointment is that CJ isn't named on the bench.

I am worried about Patons lack of pace. In the practice games he looked like he was running up and down in the spot

I am worried about Patons lack of pace. In the practice games he looked like he was running up and down in the spot
He was damaging though.
It's when your slow forwards aren't that it becomes an issue.
Pressure is less important when you mark.
Also if you are drawing defenders to jump.

If they don't stay down they can't run as easily.

One slow forward who can mark and body out opponent's more than chase on the ground isn't bad, he's effective in his own way

Hale wasn't quick but he sure helped our forward line function, not just as a target but as a decoy.

Gee Impey is a major loss. Sounds crazy, but he is a bigger loss this year than Mitchell was last year. Aside from Sicily's leg, we just lack any line-breakers from the back half.

A back six consisting of Frost, Frawley, McEvoy and Stratton just looks a mess to me. It really needs to be one of Frost or Stratton, and if Stratton wasn't skipper, and it wasn't round one, it would be Frost.

I was really ambivalent towards footy being played until I watched the game tonight, it was a welcomed distraction. I'm looking forward to tuning in Sunday.

I don’t know about being bigger loss than Mitchell, but in hindsight perhaps we underrated Impey’s role the last two years.

Richmond have multiple fast players that can turn on a dime and continuously take the game on. They push up the ground and then run in waves, even when pressured they are all nimble enough that they can escape the pressure or make a play. It makes a huge difference to their game, and IMO it's entertaining to watch.

We really only have Wingard and Impey (regular seniors) that can do that, and who knows how the injury will affect Impey's lateral movement. We have some great straight line and gut runners (Frost, Smith, Henderson, Scully, etc.), but I'd love to see more raw pace, nimbleness and athleticism in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have multiple fast players that can turn on a dime and continuously take the game on. They push up the ground and then run in waves, even when pressured they are all nimble enough that they can escape the pressure or make a play. It makes a huge difference to their game, and IMO it's entertaining to watch.

We really only have Wingard and Impey (regular seniors) that can do that, and who knows how the injury will affect Impey's lateral movement. We have some great straight line and gut runners (Frost, Smith, Henderson, Scully, etc.), but I'd love to see more raw pace, nimbleness and athleticism in the side.
Agreed. But clarko seems intent on playing a very tall and slow side. 🤷‍♂️

Richmond have multiple fast players that can turn on a dime and continuously take the game on. They push up the ground and then run in waves, even when pressured they are all nimble that they can escape the pressure or make a play. It makes a huge difference to their game, and IMO it's entertaining to watch.

Confidence helps.
Back at our peak our run and spread was fantastic for a team that was in general not fast.
It worked because we backed our team mates in to win contests and they did.
Confidence helps you hold structure and follow game plans.
Richmond clearly have it in spades, we used to, so did Geeelong

That belief you will win is huge, if your opponent can't break you it helps with breaking them.

Tigers are strong, disciplined but most importantly confident.

Belief is a massive part of team success.

Agreed. But clarko seems intent on playing a very tall and slow side. 🤷‍♂️
We don't have Richmond's speed. We need to combat it not match it.
No idea if he's going in the right direction.

Hell he could just be looking for the best with what he has, no guarantees this is his ideal situation.

4 of the 6 defenders are non-runners. Either slow or just don't provide run with the ball. Only Morrison and Frost are runners, and if your KPD is your runner, that's a worry.

I'm worried the mids will flood back to provide the transition run and thus the forwards will have to push up the ground and leave an empty F50.

Interested to see how the coaches have used the off season to prepare for this...
Frawley and Sicily both have elite speed.

He was damaging though.
It's when your slow forwards aren't that it becomes an issue.
Pressure is less important when you mark.
Also if you are drawing defenders to jump.

If they don't stay down they can't run as easily.

One slow forward who can mark and body out opponent's more than chase on the ground isn't bad, he's effective in his own way

Hale wasn't quick but he sure helped our forward line function, not just as a target but as a decoy.

Hale also had the ability to tap it to the advantage of the smalls, if he couldn’t mark it. Fingers crossed that Patton can have a similar impact in the forward line.

We don't have Richmond's speed. We need to combat it not match it.
No idea if he's going in the right direction.

Hell he could just be looking for the best with what he has, no guarantees this is his ideal situation.
Early days but at no stage in either marsh game did we have aerial superiority in defence. So we didn’t get the benefit of the height and none of Frawley, frost or McEvoy provide run and spread from defence. It is difficult to see how it will work in practice. I’m sure some games it will look good but the big thing Richmond do is not push everyone back which enables them to not get our number in their forward line. All they try to do is bring the ball to ground and work the ball through their even numbers. At that point our talls are a liability. Brisbane don’t use the ball going forward as well as Richmond so let’s hope it does give us an edge.

Didn't notice the big man at the game but it was cold so can understand him trying to keep warm. Oh, and not overly surprised that he's lost a yard of pace considering

s-l225.jpg

I will be surprised if the go ahead this week in the end - the story is changing so quickly.

If delayed, could have a silver lining for us.

GO HAWKS.
Revisiting my own post - happy Round 1 going ahead but please someone tell the players to lay off high 5s, hugs etc.

Just keeping these to a minimum will be a good example to the public about what has changed.

I hope for no breakout among players. - it has happened, for instance, at my Brooklyn Nets!!

Bravo footy for giving it a go. Go Hawks.

On paper, one of the slowest and least skilled backlines we've had in many a year.

Personally think Silk has to play back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back