Review Round 1, 2020 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Marcus Adams... we have got worse ever since he came into the side. One trick pony. Good contested mark. Poor ground skills, slow, slow decision maker, very poor below his knees, no agility at all. With Harris and Adams down back, we are so slow. We were better with Walker as he was far more versatile. Maybe Harris or Adams will need to move forward at times. Moot point now. Hopefully we'll be right in 2021
Many have said on this site that Adams is apparently on $400k a season. With 40 games under his belt we know what he offers. Payne would be on a lot less and is untapped, we don't know what we might have, but for some reason must be out of favour because did not play any of the Marsh series, despite the fact that many observers said he had a good pre-season. Good to see Dev debut but less be honest only happened because a 33 year old (with a history of injuries) was out injured.

Many have said on this site that Adams is apparently on $400k a season.
Just so you're aware that's right around league average, which is about $380k IIRC.

I think it’s around 8 weeks Normally
Probably still fine, worst case he might miss 1 game. Likelihood is he won’t miss any.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I'm taking a break from Big Footy. I forgot how toxic this board gets after a loss.
You are not wrong, it is downright embarrassing.

Sloppy with the footy, sloppy kicking for goal, and we struggle with stop/start footy when the opposition has a good zone setup. Hardly time for panic stations. Hawks looked very good today, just a lot more slicker and hitting targets. As Leigh said looked like they had an extra man, they have a good lineup now with Worpel, Scully, O'Meara, Wingard, Shiels, Burgoyne, etc.

Last edited:

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just so you're aware that's right around league average, which is about $380k IIRC.
yeap well aware of that, it is the average, so the elite on 800K + more. The untried young guys in their 3rd & 4th years would be on less then the AFL league average, so would be confident that Skinner, Payne, Ballenden, Hinge, etc even Starc would be lucky to be on half the average. Draftees who are on around $90K in their first year but can earn match payments if playing in the AFL. Then the younger guys on rookie list are likely earning less again. Like everywhere at the moment everyone is going to take a severe haircut. No one knows what any player earns but Adams on the average AFL wage would be about right for a very average player. If he was any good the dogs would not have let him go

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just played like the good old leppa days

Dont take it too hard. We played away from home, clearly didnt play well today and it still took a 37 year old to beat us.

Lets not forget our average age was only 25 with 97 games experience. Compared that to Hawthorn at 28 with 147 games experience.

We are still young compared to most clubs, which makes playing away from home and external factors having a large influence on performance. I wouldnt be too concerned.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looked like a middle of the road side today. Still a lot of work to do. Disjointed and slow in defense, a lot of fumbles, rushing disposals and some poor kicking across the board. Skills in general were ordinary. Hawthorne superior in each of those areas. Worpel, mitchell, o'meara, took the chocolates today. I do hope todays loss sticks in their craw, they should be dissapointed and cranky with their performance. I dont want to single out any player, none of them looked like they weren't trying. Just a lousy performance all round.

I will say that when birchall pulled out maybe lester or hinge would have been a better option positionally. Having said that it was good to see devrob get a run, he looked very composed for a first gamer. I dont know what his disposal efficiency was but it looked like he hit his target by hand or foot more often than not. We have a player there.

Lets hope the players keep safe and fit, and if the season does restart they are ready and raring to go.

BrizzyBandit

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like I watched a different game to most of you on here.

Yes we were rusty at times... But for the most part we matched it with them. Both McStay and Hipwood looked great. Most confident Ive seen McStay. He looked supreme. Such a shame he can't build upon that next week.

Rayner was also very good. Strength, composure, dash and finishing. Again such a shame not to be able to see him back up.

Harris Andrews along with Daniel Rich were very very good. Lovely to watch.

Starc played a great first half.... very good composure and field kicking. Made some errors in the second... But showed us the glimpses you look for.

These were the players that I wanted to see a lift from... and I got it....so kinda felt satisfied.

Answerth, Adams, Witherden fell well short.... But just rusty....
McCarthy and Baily made a low impact.

Robertson's first game and he showed intent which is all you can ask for.

All in all encouraging that we will play a lot of good footy again... .... some adjustments on how we get sucked into the ball and our forward entry and we'll be right

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Was I the only one to yell “**** me, he held a mark”, when Hipwood took that mark in the fourth quarter?

I don’t usually read the game day thread during the game. So haven’t read people’s reactions yet.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I feel like I watched a different game to most of you on here.

Yes we were rusty at times... But for the most part we matched it with them. Both McStay and Hipwood looked great. Most confident Ive seen McStay. He looked supreme. Such a shame he can't build upon that next week.

Rayner was also very good. Strength, composure, dash and finishing. Again such a shame not to be able to see him back up.

Harris Andrews along with Daniel Rich were very very good. Lovely to watch.

Starc played a great first half.... very good composure and field kicking. Made some errors in the second... But showed us the glimpses you look for.

These were the players that I wanted to see a lift from... and I got it....so kinda felt satisfied.

Answerth, Adams, Witherden fell well short.... But just rusty....
McCarthy and Baily made a low impact.

Robertson's first game and he showed intent which is all you can ask for.

All in all encouraging that we will play a lot of good footy again... .... some adjustments on how we get sucked into the ball and our forward entry and we'll be right
Witherden looked low on confidence to me.

I don’t rate Adams that highly.

I thought Answerth was good most of the time.

I thought Bailey looked lost out there. Didn’t show his usual speed, or take the game on approach.

I really want to see Berry on the ball more, rotating with Lyons and Neale.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Just some perspective in the gloom:

If ever we were to have a season that disappoints, I would prefer it be this one than any of the next five. This season is already a disastrous mess, will carry a huge asterisk beside it in the history books and might not yet come to pass in any meaningful way. It may be so compromised by the circumstances that finishing the season early, outside of whatever constitutes the finals, might not be anywhere as disheartening as in a normal season. The reduced physical load on our players may even prolong some careers and prime some others for the seasons ahead.

If we play some good games at some point, get experience and strength into the young guys, emerge without long term injuries, and survive financially...then be what it may and bring on 2021.

But 2020...you shall most likely not be remembered fondly by too many. New year’s eve will be a genuine celebration at seeing the back of you!

Back