Autopsy Round 1, 2020: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *HILL 150TH, KING DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Been too distraught to come and post here. So flat after that loss, was on top of the world at half time but unfortunately left with that “same old St Kilda” taste in my mouth afterwards.

Zak Jones - awesome apart from two easy misses at goal. Was everything I hoped he’d be.

Dunstan - torches it something shocking. You can’t emphasise skills and then have this guy in the team, and his poor contested possessions don’t make up for it.

WTF happened in the second half!?

Zac jones was awesome but you don't like guys that torch it with crap skills?

:drunk:

Zac jones was awesome but you don't like guys that torch it with crap skills?

:drunk:
I’m not basing everything off one game. Jones’ ball use is fine generally but he had other things to make up for it. 12 contested touches and breaks the lines, Dunstan barely won the ball himself and when he got it he torched it which he’s been doing for years.

Any news on Carlisle , he is a must have in our team , he would of saved us with his intercept marking - also Battle will have to be brought into the team as our 3rd tall in the forward line - Ryder or King / Membery / Battle

The North loss has hurt and I would put money on the guys to stew on it and turn it around.

Any news on Gresham's knee?
Hoping its not a bad one. I think Hun has an article abut it but don't have subscription so not much help.
Could only read a small bit of the article but it said 10 weeks.

Any news on Gresham's knee?
Hoping its not a bad one. I think Hun has an article abut it but don't have subscription so not much help.

In short, would have missed 8-10 weeks but with the break in the season expects to be sweet for round 2.

Also said the club has been fantastic in their support of the players and the support from the fans means a lot.

Finished off with "we did a lot right in the first half but didnt run out the four quarters. But I've got no doubt we will be a good team"

Two out of three ain’t bad .....

Rather they chase Papley ..myself

Think he would look great with 13 on his back

I always kind of thought he was overrated but he just seems to be a gun. That All-star game, he just stood out like Milne. Finishers are what we need.

I always kind of thought he was overrated but he just seems to be a gun. That All-star game, he just stood out like Milne. Finishers are what we need.

Just watched 2009, Round 3 against WC.
Boy did we have finishers then...15.2 at halftime and a 97 point win at the end with only one goal from Roo.

So interesting because we had so many players who weren’t stars but what a team it was. Could barely recognise Gears.

Pretty depressing though because when you watch that you realise just how far away we are.

Ratts didn't sound happy at the back end of this interview when he talked about the north game:

It's almost like richo wasn't the problem at all- and we are doomed to be bottom 6 until we have much better quality players across the park!

The new recruits were worth getting, but all are only marginal improvements at best on what we had last year.
People have been getting far too carried away with the QUANTITY of new players increasing, without looking at how much or little the QUALITY of players has improved from the last 2 years.

We have been a million miles off being competitive with genuine finals teams for years now.
the changes from richo to ratts and the likes of bruce, newnes, brown etc to butler, jones, howard are only minor improvements.

We are coming from so far behind that we needed 3 brad hill level recruits to leap into finals contention.
I'm not at all suprised with how we went against norf.

1 brad hill and a few minor tweaks like richo to ratts was never going to change things dramatically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost like richo wasn't the problem at all- and we are doomed to be bottom 6 until we have much better quality players across the park!

The new recruits were worth getting, but all are only marginal improvements at best on what we had last year.
People have been getting far too carried away with the QUANTITY of new players increasing, without looking at how much or little the QUALITY of players has improved from the last 2 years.

We have been a million miles off being competitive with genuine finals teams for years now.
the changes from richo to ratts and the likes of bruce, newnes, brown etc to butler, jones, howard are only minor improvements.

We are coming from so far behind that we needed 3 brad hill level recruits to leap into finals contention.
I'm not at all suprised with how we went against norf.

1 brad hill and a few minor tweaks like richo to ratts was never going to change things dramatically.
it was one half of one game.

going a bit early on the 'we are destined to be crap despite the changes and improvements to our list' melt.

it was one half of one game.

going a bit early on the 'we are destined to be crap despite the changes and improvements to our list' melt.

Who cares how it occured- we lost fair and square on our own turf to a club very likely to not be a finals contention, who had practically no bench for large parts of the game.

Sure one game is a tiny sample size, but to me it played out as I expected- we're not much chop... the result reflected as much.

While others have fawned over wins against a half interested pies etc, I've been saying we're setup to tread water performance wise all pre-season.
I'm not sinking the boot in off one game.

Who cares how it occured- we lost fair and square on our own turf to a club very likely to not be a finals contention, who had practically no bench for large parts of the game.

Sure one game is a tiny sample size, but to me it played out as I expected- we're not much chop... the result reflected as much.

While others have fawned over wins against a half interested pies etc, I've been saying we're setup to tread water performance wise all pre-season.
I'm not sinking the boot in off one game.

The players let us down. A few might be working outside the football industry next year. The club will get punished by the players shitting the bed at the worst possible time once more. Sounds like when we had a marquee match against them all over again. I don't really care about any Saints player on our list anymore to be honest. I wouldn't really care if we started again from scratch. The players we have ae below standard or promising. Marshall is the only one that looks any good and we're wasting him. Similar to Battle and I hope Hunter can turn into mid or we will have to start trading out small backs.

How many years is it that we have had too many half back flankers on the list? And we have done nothing about it, we still have too many.
It’s extremely painful seeing how many we have but I think since the banker took over in 2018 the priority has definitely changed to a bit more midfield and speed all over the ground. Most of the recruits lately have ticked either one or both of those boxes.

How many years is it that we have had too many half back flankers on the list? And we have done nothing about it, we still have too many.
It's a little thing called a contract.
Jimmy and Gears are up this year though.
In fairness, Long was moved back this year and Coff was supposed to become a mid.

We'll say goodbye to 3 of Gears/Jimmy/Dmac/Sav by end of next year.

The funny thing about it is we still turned Long into one and he is probably our best now. So it seems we don't have that many good ones anyway :)

I think two of the defining things in the game were:
1. We missed so many gettable shots and fluffed loads of inside 50 opportunities. Should have been way further in front.
2. In the second half we allowed Goldstein and Cunnington to completely dominate clearances. The ruck combo worked in the first half but not in the second half, Goldstein was able to get a real foothold in the game and Ryder and Marshall were both pretty ineffective. Marshall still should have kicked the winning goal though.

We are still missing a midfield beast, have been for years.

I think two of the defining things in the game were:
1. We missed so many gettable shots and fluffed loads of inside 50 opportunities. Should have been way further in front.
2. In the second half we allowed Goldstein and Cunnington to completely dominate clearances. The ruck combo worked in the first half but not in the second half, Goldstein was able to get a real foothold in the game and Ryder and Marshall were both pretty ineffective. Marshall still should have kicked the winning goal though.

We are still missing a midfield beast, have been for years.

Star power too. A guy who carries us over the line in his back.

Star power too. A guy who carries us over the line in his back.
We might have one but we kept chucking him forward hoping he would kick the winning goal. When he had the chance he missed it. Watching Marshall last year he seemed to build into the games and mostly got better and better as the game went on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back