Preview Round 1, 2020: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 22nd March, 1:10PM AEDT *HILL 150TH, KING DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 60 92.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if the season plays out to it's 17 games (unlikely) and there's quick turnaround's with games etc. Guy's like Battle, Savage, Sinclair, Carlisle...will still play 10 games or so, give or take. The list should get a fairly decent run in general.
The whole season is experimental. Clubs are going to have to be a little novel in their approach, so selections may be a bit head scratching to the likes of us.
(And yes, I would've had Battle play instead of either Paton or Kent...but I will give it the benefit over my doubt, which means nothing)

Probably will happen but as much as I want battle its rubbish. We have 22 players who should get it done. If they don’t it’s their fault.
There will always be someone left out of the team when you have a squad with more than 22 good players - missing Battle , Carlisle just shows we have more talent this year and they will be straight back into the 22 if injury strikes.
on top of that guys like Hind , Savage , Bytel , Marsh , Brown , Austin , Phillips , Parker will all be wanting a game.

I’m attached to battle because he actually plays at the club. Ben king doesn’t. And I have no idea why we need him certainly at the moment.
I'm attached to Battle because he seems like the kind of player premierships are won on the back of.
Personally I'd sign him for 5 years, but if taey can't fit him in the 1sts then something's gotta break..

Fully deserved for Patton making the final 22. Shows how far he has come in the last 12 months, generally does his job every time he plays.
They must be planning on Clark spending some significant minutes in the midfield

Not a good sign for battle if he can’t even get a game with Carlisle out. North could stretch us down back with Howard our only real key defender. Wilkie and Roberton are going to have to play tall which should mean plenty of run out of the back half. Paton deserves his spot. Kent I’m not quiet sold on.

I wonder if Ratten really knows how Roberton plays shorter than he is.
Without Carlisle , Battle would have been first picked for me.
Kent a valid choice, and Paton,well done , getting up the pecking order.

Watching the 2 games I can understand the decision to go shorter. Pretty quick and free flowing. Both teams tonight generated turn over through pressure in the middle.
If we get it right I think this team can be a handful. Speed and skills to make space and hit targets.

Having said all the above, I'd have battle in instead of Ryder, but as P66 has said, Ryder was always going to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly, battle not getting picked is totally ratsheet. He should definitely be playing. The fact that ryder is effectively taking his spot fwd makes it bad, the fact that he can't get a look in with carlisle out makes it worse. Tbf wilkie and robbo are about the same height, but I'd be surprised if they can do a better job at CHB than battle as they play better on the flanks/in the pocket. Maybe ratz knows something we don't.

Also, I'd prefer to see marsh in over kent, don't know what kent adds that marsh doesn't and then some.. maybe fitness? what's happening with Hind?

Agree with thoughts think team will look completely different by years end.

Hind been very impressive last month ,had some fitness issues early in pre season .

Pretty sure they knew the side or at least guessed it before. Anyway talls mean jack if the mids win the contest. Look at the pies tonight.
Everyone wants Battle to play because he is a up and coming player of the future , but did he show enough in the preseason games to warrant selection?

People see what they want to see.

The Tiges got smashed possession wise losing both the contested and uncontested possession counts, broke even on the centre clearances but lost the stoppages but won comfortably mainly because of their relentless pressure on the ball carrier across the whole ground (52 to tackles to 23) coupled with an incredible 80% disposal efficiency.

It wasn't just the midfield - all over the ground the Doggies couldn't get the ball and when they did they were forced into shoddy disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back