Prediction ROUND 1 2020 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see if they try it - he’s pretty agile, quick clean hands, and played his junior footy there.

Not many 198cm KPD’s around though - not sure it will work

I'm pretty confident. Height is a weapon for a KPD.

All on how he goes against a lead for it. At worse he can intercept.

Not sure - we didn’t go with a back up ruck for a lot of last season.

But yes if they want that structure he’s in line to swap in to one of those 4 bench spots

Didn't we? Jenkins played 11 games, EH got 7.

We ditched the second ruck late but we well and truly played it for most of the season

Big what if..
What if ROB goes down with a serious season ending injury? or his form stinks. we dont have a genuine back up..

I expect we'll add another read to go option, either Delisted FA or to the rookie list. Strachan took some decent strides towards the end of the season this year in the 2's once he wasn't competing with either Jacobs/ROB.

Frampton's there as well as a break glass alternative.

Given their won’t be any real outside improvement personnel wise would love to see them try to change some things internally with positional and role changes.

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Milera, Butts, Sholl
C: Smith, B.Crouch, Seedsman
HF: Sloane, Walker, Fogarty
F: McHenry, Himmelberg/Frampton, McAdam
Foll: O’Brien, M.Crouch, Laird

I/C: Jones, Kelly, Gallucci, Gibbs

- Laird needs to be moved into the midfield to rescue him as a player or else he will just become more irrelevant and his football career will slowly die. Turn him into a Lachie Neale-type player in that role.

- Jake Kelly’s role to also change, best aerobic ability at the club, big body, defends, hates being beaten and opponents hate him; he’s should be the club’s tagger going forward. Team needs to tag.

- Fogarty to be freed up and not limited to being a stay at home forward. He’s not a stay at home key forward he is a forward/mid hybrid and needs to be played that way.

- Sloane moved out from stoppages and centre square. Another player who needs to be rescued, he’s been beaten up and battered since becoming a permanent stoppage player under Campo/Pyke. Let the bloke get some free air away from the crash and bash on a wing or at half-forward, allow him to use his running capacity, turn him back into the player he was earlier in his career and protect his body late in his career.

- H’berg & Frampton to square off for 1 spot in Pre-Season

- Gibbs the best of the absolute toilet options of Poholke, Knight and Atkins.

- Tom Lynch is not best 22 anymore, there is no role for him, the team needs to move on. You can not have a forward line full of hybrid players, Fogarty and Walker are those players already in the team and you need a genuine marking tall. Probably another $700,000+ player in the SANFL, could play him on a wing and use as depth for that position.

Agree issues are going to be how badly affected the depth is after the draft.

Leftovers for the SANFL team would be something like this without draftees and top-ups:

B: McPherson, Hartigan, ????
HB: Mackay, ????, Hamill
C: Atkins, ????, Knight
HF: Lynch, ????, Davis
F: Stengle, Himmelberg/Frampton, Murphy
Foll: Strachan, Wilson, Poholke

I/C: ????, ????, ????

I feel pretty positive about next year quite simply because the youth we have to come in won’t be a millstone- they’re just flat out better players.

Jones and McHenry are jets and both must come into that midfield rotation from R1. And I don’t want any garbage about their tanks - both have massive tanks already.

And like Mutineer says, let’s not have this Ned as a small pressure forward rubbish - he’s a straight up midfielder and must be in that rotation.

The other big improvements must come from our senior core. High quality underperforming players, plenty of former AA players who fell off a cliff last year.

Yeah definitely agree with this. Our defense is still very experienced, as is our midfield. The forward line will be relatively young but there's a fair bit of raw talent there. If Nicks is capable, there's no reason we can't play some very good football next year. Our issues as discussed to large extent haven't been the quality of the side on paper, its been a complete breakdown in the team harmonics and gameplan.

Also agree re McHenry, is a midfielder who has the added benefit of being able to play as a pressure small forward. IMO should take Murphy's spot if fit. Likely start predominantly forward with short stints through midfield, but gradually build that up.

The interesting one will be Tom Lynch, quite frankly I think we need to move him out of the forward line simply to provide opportunity to younger types. I'd be interested to see him move into a wing/HBF rotation. In terms of forwards for mine its Walker, Fog and one of Himmelberg or Frampton. For mine Frampton's currently ahead, but I like that there's some genuine competition.

The issue as mentioned will be depth, too many injuries and suddenly we'll be into the younger players. IMO there is some talent there and I think we sometimes get too worried about depth.

AFL side:
B: Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Laird
C: Seedsman - M.Crouch - Atkins
HF: McHenry - Walker - McAdam
F: Stengle - Fogarty - Frampton
1R: ROB - Sloane - B.Crouch
I: Gibbs, Lynch, Jones, Milera
E: Himmelberg, Kelly, Wilson, Gallucci

SANFL side:
B: TBA - Butts - Scholl
HB: Hamill - Kelly - McPherson
C: Mackay - Wilson - Knight
HF: Wright - Davis - TBA
F: TBA - Himmelberg - Murphy
1R: Strachan - Poholke - Gallucci
I: TBA...

Is it just me or did the team just get better?
I cant see any doom and gloom looking at these teams for next year.

The key out at present is Keath IMO. Hartigan IMO is depth level rather than best 22 and apart from Butts we don't have anything really coming through. Lucky there's probably a few options in the draft in this regard.

F Poholke Walker Gallucci
HF Murphy Fogarty Milera
C Jones Crouch Smith
HB Hamill Talia Laird
B Brown Butts Doedee
R O'Brien Crouch Sloane
I - Pick 4, McHenry, MacPherson, Sholl

F Macadam Frampton Stengle
HF Wright Berg Davis
C Atkins Wilson Lynch
HB Gibbs Hartigan Kelly
B Mackay Pick 23 Seedsman
R Strachan Knight Pick 28
I Pick37 and Rookies

Big what if..
What if ROB goes down with a serious season ending injury? or his form stinks. we dont have a genuine back up..

Then Strachan plays who is the back up ruck now.

Will be interesting to see if they try it - he’s pretty agile, quick clean hands, and played his junior footy there.

Not many 198cm KPD’s around though - not sure it will work
Dougal Howard...

Imo, should be horses for courses, where we use Himmelberg as a key defender where the opposition have 2 genuine tall forwards. If they don't, we can go smaller with Doedee & Kelly.

Big what if..
Then we play Strachan & Frampton.

We are not contending for a flag next year, so it should be about getting games into younger players any way.

We shouldn't be concerned about trading out experience/depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sitting on the new selection committee... ,)

I agree he SHOULD.

Personally I think Himmelberg's up against it now that Frampton's been brought in, that's not to say that I don't like Himmelberg either though, I do and prior to drafting Frampton was of the same thought.

Saw a fair bit of both at SANFL level last year and Frampton seems to be able to use his body much better, he appears to command the footy and has a far greater presence. The guy knows how to stamp his authority on a game, where Himmelberg still appears to be a bit timid at times, relying on more his athleticism.

Nicks is already talking about competitiveness and want to win the contest, I can see Frampton fitting much more easily into this than Himmelberg.

Personally I think Himmelberg's up against it now that Frampton's been brought in, that's not to say that I don't like Himmelberg either though, I do and prior to drafting Frampton was of the same thought.

Saw a fair bit of both at SANFL level last year and Frampton seems to be able to use his body much better, he appears to command the footy and has a far greater presence. The guy knows how to stamp his authority on a game, where Himmelberg still appears to be a bit timid at times, relying on more his athleticism.

Nicks is already talking about competitiveness and want to win the contest, I can see Frampton fitting much more easily into this than Himmelberg.
I would like to see us develop Himmelberg at CHB as we should be looking beyond Hartigan.

That means we can also play Frampton as a forward/ruckman.

I would like to see us develop Himmelberg at CHB as we should be looking beyond Hartigan.

Either Himmelberg or Butts, but that'd be how I'd attack next year.

I don’t mind that, probably depends a little on who we pick up in the draft. Sounds like there’s a lot more to get excited about in terms of key defenders than forwards.

Then we play Strachan & Frampton.

We are not contending for a flag next year, so it should be about getting games into younger players any way.

We shouldn't be concerned about trading out experience/depth.
I think the Bulldogs of 2016 sorta blew flag windows out of the water but yes i understand that we need to get games into youngsters. Himelbrg is not a ruckman, Frampton isnt a ruckman... guess we have no choice to throw Strachan in there..

Backs

Talia
Hartigan/Butts rotate these guys.
Brown
Kelly
Laird
Doedee
Gibbs

Midfield/ Wing

OBrien
Sloane
B Crouch
M Crouch
Jones
Milera
Atkins
Smithers
Seedsnan
Pick 4

Forwards
Tex
Fog
Lynch and chop out Ruck
McHenry
Stengle

Obviously the mids will rotate through forward line as well. Particularly Sloane, Jones, Atkins and Milera

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

F Poholke Walker Gallucci
HF Murphy Fogarty Milera
C Jones Crouch Smith
HB Hamill Talia Laird
B Brown Butts Doedee
R O'Brien Crouch Sloane
I - Pick 4, McHenry, MacPherson, Sholl

F Macadam Frampton Stengle
HF Wright Berg Davis
C Atkins Wilson Lynch
HB Gibbs Hartigan Kelly
B Mackay Pick 23 Seedsman
R Strachan Knight Pick 28
I Pick37 and Rookies

like the pick 4 coming straight in. Hamish do your magic. I want to see the best of McPherson. Seedsman is best 22 when fit. Lynch is better than Murphy. You need to find a spot for him.

I can't believe the amount of ignorance about our list from the so called "experts" from outside SA.

"I don't see how the Crows can lose Jacobs, Betts, Greenwood, CEY, Keath, Jenkins and not replace anyone through trades and still be competitive next year"

I will give Kane Cornes some credit, he knows our list enough and was trying to explain to them that Keath is the only real loss for us, but it was just falling on deaf ears to dullards like Purple and Terry Wallet.

We'll be fine next year, we're not going to make the 8 but I can confidently predict that we'll finish around 12th next year and still be more than competitive.

I can't believe the amount of ignorance about our list from the so called "experts" from outside SA.

"I don't see how the Crows can lose Jacobs, Betts, Greenwood, CEY, Keath, Jenkins and not replace anyone through trades and still be competitive next year"

I will give Kane Cornes some credit, he knows our list enough and was trying to explain to them that Keath is the only real loss for us, but it was just falling on deaf ears to dullards like Purple and Terry Wallet.

We'll be fine next year, we're not going to make the 8 but I can confidently predict that we'll finish around 12th next year and still be more than competitive.
I welcome the negative sentiment and believe that is exactly what we want.

Not only will it set expectations low but it will drive the players to prove these statements wrong.

The more of these type of articles the better in my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back