Prediction ROUND 1 2020 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

I welcome the negative sentiment and believe that is exactly what we want.

Not only will it set expectations low but it will drive the players to prove these statements wrong.

The more of these type of articles the better in my mind.
You Know I can see the Crows becoming more like the Port Magpies of Old in there 150th year than Port.
US against the World, Play for each other, etc.

I welcome the negative sentiment and believe that is exactly what we want.

Not only will it set expectations low but it will drive the players to prove these statements wrong.

The more of these type of articles the better in my mind.
Hypothesis:

Whatever VIC experts expect from us we will deliver the opposite

We were popular picks going into 18 and 19

Personally I think Himmelberg's up against it now that Frampton's been brought in, that's not to say that I don't like Himmelberg either though, I do and prior to drafting Frampton was of the same thought.

Saw a fair bit of both at SANFL level last year and Frampton seems to be able to use his body much better, he appears to command the footy and has a far greater presence. The guy knows how to stamp his authority on a game, where Himmelberg still appears to be a bit timid at times, relying on more his athleticism.

Nicks is already talking about competitiveness and want to win the contest, I can see Frampton fitting much more easily into this than Himmelberg.
Fogarty and Frampton lining up in the same forwardline for a showdown would definitely result in a massive punch up and a 10 game suspension. 2 hot heads.

Hypothesis:

Whatever VIC experts expect from us we will deliver the opposite

We were popular picks going into 18 and 19

Do we seem to perform better when there's no expectation on us?

It's a discussion that probably warrants its own thread.

I definitely feel like we need to try Himmelberg down back. Would be a useful backup ruck, plus it was a natural position for him as a junior. If we can train him well enough in a KPD role over the pre-season, I'd like to see this side R1:

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Himmelberg, Laird
C: Seedsman, Sloane, Milera
HF: Lynch, Walker, Jones
F: Murphy, Fogarty, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Gibbs, McHenry, Pick 4, Kelly
EM: Gallucci, McPherson, Wilson, Frampton

SANFL:
B: McPherson, draftee, Butts
HB: Hamill, Hartigan, Sholl
C: Atkins, Poholke, Mackay
HF: Knight, draftee, Gallucci
F: Stengle, Frampton, Davis
R: Strachan, Wilson, draftee
I/C: draftee, draftee, draftee, draftee

I definitely feel like we need to try Himmelberg down back. Would be a useful backup ruck, plus it was a natural position for him as a junior. If we can train him well enough in a KPD role over the pre-season, I'd like to see this side R1:

C: Seedsman, Sloane, Milera
HF: Lynch, Walker, Jones
F: Murphy, Fogarty, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Gibbs, McHenry, Pick 4, Kelly
EM: Gallucci, McPherson, Wilson, Frampton

SANFL:
B: McPherson, draftee, Butts
HB: Hamill, Hartigan, Sholl
C: Atkins, Poholke, Mackay
HF: Knight, draftee, Gallucci
F: Stengle, Frampton, Davis
R: Strachan, Wilson, draftee
I/C: draftee, draftee, draftee, draftee
Missing our SANFL captain

Frampton and Strachan are better pure rucks than Himmelberg, As backup ROB,
I really like Strachan but very raw, wont be a ready replacement next year.

Frampton was tried as a ruck for 4 years and couldn’t cut it. The only reason there is any hope for him is they swapped him to a permanent forward last season for the first time. So no he’s at best a short relief Ruck only.

If ROB goes down R1 it will be Himmelberg who has rucked in the AFL adequately.

I really like Strachan but very raw, wont be a ready replacement next year.

Frampton was tried as a ruck for 4 years and couldn’t cut it. The only reason there is any hope for him is they swapped him to a permanent forward last season for the first time. So no he’s at best a short relief Ruck only.

If ROB goes down R1 it will be Himmelberg who has rucked in the AFL adequately.
Strachan will be better with a preseason behind him, he had a late start last year but was Close to the best re Tap Ruck towards the end of the year, just needed to work on his ground ball a bit more.
Also don't forget Frampton first couple of year were injury plague, he did not complete a full pre-season until 2018, He also has a bit of ROB in him as he can ruck and get his own ball, but in 2019 proved that he can play as a True KPF, And He has not lost any ability to ruck, maybe a better ruck coach will help aswell.

Either way from watching them in the SANFL both are better than Himmelberg in the Ruck contest.
Big advantage is all our ruckmen are young with ROB being the oldest, and Himmelberg the youngest. Lot of Football Growth to go.

However believe we do need to get a project Ruck thru the Draft or Rookie list one.

Strachan will be better with a preseason behind him, he had a late start last year but was Close to the best re Tap Ruck towards the end of the year, just needed to work on his ground ball a bit more.
Also don't forget Frampton first couple of year were injury plague, he did not complete a full pre-season until 2018, He also has a bit of ROB in him as he can ruck and get his own ball, but in 2019 proved that he can play as a True KPF, And He has not lost any ability to ruck, maybe a better ruck coach will help aswell.

Either way from watching them in the SANFL both are better than Himmelberg in the Ruck contest.
Big advantage is all our ruckmen are young with ROB being the oldest, and Himmelberg the youngest. Lot of Football Growth to go.

However believe we do need to get a project Ruck thru the Draft or Rookie list one.
What part of Himmelberg already rucking adequately in the AFL don’t you get?

Was that needed,
Himmelberg, while he rucked in the AFL, was not that good, even against the makeshift ruckmen he was against he still struggled at times.
Going on what I have seen in the SANFL Frampton better, and that is watching them go head to head. a few times.
Also in the SANFL Strachan is the prefer ruckman to Himmelberg, that to me tells a story.
But I guess the proof will be highlighted next year.

B: Brown, Talia, Laird
HB: Smith, Doedee, Milera
C: Seedsman, M.Crouch, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, McHenry
F: Stengle, Fogarty, Frampton
R: O'Brien, B. Crouch, Jones
I/C: Gibbs, Gallucci, McAdam , Kelly
EM: Scholl, Himmelberg, Wilson, Hartigan

Quite a small backline so Hartigan would need to come in depending on matchups. Would love to see Sloane play the season on the wing, leave him out of the middle and let Jones move in there.

Interesting to see what we do with the 2nd ruck. I have Frampton in there for now but it will come down to how he and Himmelberg go in the pre-season games. I think our preference is to go with a smaller forward line and leave them both out but we have nobody else who could even pinch hit in the ruck so one of them needs to play.

This is the type of setup I hope for next year but I fully expect McKay and Hartigan to feature unfortunately.

HF: McAdam, Fogarty, McHenry
F: Stengle, Walker, Frampton
R: O'Brien, B. Crouch, Gibbs
I/C: Jones, Milera, Gallucci, Lynch/pick 4

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the type of setup I hope for next year but I fully expect McKay and Hartigan to feature unfortunately.

HF: McAdam, Fogarty, McHenry
F: Stengle, Walker, Frampton
R: O'Brien, B. Crouch, Gibbs
I/C: Jones, Milera, Gallucci, Lynch/pick 4

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lynch is also odds on to play R1 unless injured.

What about Fog for back up ruck? He does a good job in the centre at SANFL level and this would be an opportunity to get him in there.

There is no way I'd ever consider putting unnecessary wear and tear on Fog.

If you want to use a non-ruck as a backup ruck, pick some spud with a limited future in AFL, not your best assets.

Brown, Talia, Doedee
Smith, Hartigan, Laird
Seedsman, Mrouch, Sloane
McAdam, Fogarty, Lynch
Stengle, Walker, Jones

ROB, Brouch, Gibbs

I/C: McHenry, Milera, , Pick 4, Seedsman

There is a lot of caveats to this team performing well in 2020.

Doedee making a sound return from ACL.
Our players aged 29+ are not cooked and do not fall off the cliff with their form during the year.
Tex/Lynch and Sloane/Gibbs one from each pair needs to lift significantly from their 2019 formline.
Brouch remains injury free.
One of McAdam/Stengle perform better than the 2018 and 2019 version of Betts.
ROB continues and builds on his 2019 form.
Pick 4 is ready made and has a decent debut year.
Nicks has a gamplan that the team can execute and has the capacity to beat/competitive against the top 8 teams.

47 - Jordon Butts (Adelaide)

Finished fourth in Adelaide’s Best and Fairest to illustrate his consistent season in just his first year of SANFL senior football. Composed in the back six, the 19-year-old averaged 16.3 disposals at 88 per cent efficiency while also developing the defensive side to his game. Expect the 198cm Victorian to spend less time in the SANFL next year as the Crows look to promote youth.

47 - Jordon Butts (Adelaide)

Finished fourth in Adelaide’s Best and Fairest to illustrate his consistent season in just his first year of SANFL senior football. Composed in the back six, the 19-year-old averaged 16.3 disposals at 88 per cent efficiency while also developing the defensive side to his game. Expect the 198cm Victorian to spend less time in the SANFL next year as the Crows look to promote youth.
He will play a few games in 2020, Really only needs some meat on his bones, reckon 2021 will be his breakout 20+ game year.
We do need 1 more, in the next few years to replace Talia

Brown, Talia, Doedee
Smith, Hartigan, Laird
Seedsman, Mrouch, Sloane
McAdam, Fogarty, Lynch
Stengle, Walker, Jones

ROB, Brouch, Gibbs

I/C: McHenry, Milera, , Pick 4, Seedsman

There is a lot of caveats to this team performing well in 2020.

Doedee making a sound return from ACL.
Our players aged 29+ are not cooked and do not fall off the cliff with their form during the year.
Tex/Lynch and Sloane/Gibbs one from each pair needs to lift significantly from their 2019 formline.
Brouch remains injury free.
One of McAdam/Stengle perform better than the 2018 and 2019 version of Betts.
ROB continues and builds on his 2019 form.
Pick 4 is ready made and has a decent debut year.
Nicks has a gamplan that the team can execute and has the capacity to beat/competitive against the top 8 teams.
Like the team, But I still feel that they will need that 2nd ruck to ensure ROB finishes the season strongly, We were spoiled with Jacobs playing large minutes in every game, ROB will not run more than 80% in the middle, so we will need a half-decent second ruck
What about swapping interchange Seedsman with Frampton/Himmelberg.

Like the team, But I still feel that they will need that 2nd ruck to ensure ROB finishes the season strongly, We were spoiled with Jacobs playing large minutes in every game, ROB will not run more than 80% in the middle, so we will need a half-decent second ruck
What about swapping interchange Seedsman with Frampton/Himmelberg.
Believe we do need the 2nd ruck option but isn't ROB one of the top endurance runners at the club?

Believe we do need the 2nd ruck option but isn't ROB one of the top endurance runners at the club?
Don't know about endurance but was good in the 2km time trial, but that does not always translate to running games out as seen 2019
He still needs time to work out how to conserve his energy until then the Coaches will have to do it for him.
Jacobs was very good at running games out and conserving his energy. but was crap at the 2/3km time trials.

I'm with ad victoriam......Strachan with a proper AFL pre-season under his belt will quickly surpass Himmelberg as our back up Ruckman IMO. It's worth remembering he was recovering from a broken ankle sustained playing VFL for Gary Ayres' Port Melbourne and the following surgery when we drafted him and had a very restricted 2018/2019 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back