Prediction ROUND 1 2020 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never heard that, but if so, then sure swap Hartigan / Keath.

Haha alright, 2017 is 2 years ago. Charles and MGov and Lever and 2 years less on the clock for everyone else is what changed from 2017 to today.

I doubt 2019 can teach us much either. It turns out that when you have a slowish midfield, and then you make the rest of the team also slow and old, then the overall result is too slow. That would be like us selecting 7 lockdown defenders every week, and using the result to justify Talia + Brown + Laird not working together. Those kinds of groups can work together if the other players around them are a good fit.

I think it would be a mistake to dump one of Sloane MCrouch BCrouch in an unfavourable trade. If we can get a top 10 pick then sure, but I do not think that is likely.
Haven't we been selecting 7 lockdown defensive players this year anyway?

Bronw, Hartigan, Talia, Keath, Kelly, Knight, Murphy

Too much for Luko IMO (note pick 3 will be pick 4)

Greenwood and our 2021/1 (could also be pick ).

I'm not sure if GC would want picks 1, 2 and 3 in one year, better to spread them out over 2 years
We can swap other picks to even things up.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Imo, Lynch should go too for the rebuild & have serious doubts that Gibbs will get back to his best.

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath, Milera
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Jones
HF: Lukosius, Fogarty, Sloane
F: Betts, Walker, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Brouch, Gallucci
I: Laird, CEY, McHenry, Himmelberg
That's a slow forward line.

Milera + Smith in the same defence does not work because they are both bad at defending. Cautious about Doedee and Keath because both happier intercepting than defending but it might be okay.

Gallucci in the midfield seems like a stretch when he's currently good for 15 possessions and 3 tackles. At SANFL level. Not a ball winner and no defensive physical presence. Uses it beautifully so should be around half forward.

Lack of forward pressure the biggest problem. Would concede too many goals from our D50.

Lock it in for round 1 :thumbsu:

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
My team still has the Crouch brothers & Sloane... just not all playing in the middle at once. Would like to see Sloane used in other roles, pinch hitting on the middle.
I get the thought process behind that, I just don't think it would really work. Sloane is our best midfielder, he wins more contested and he uses it better. And I don't think he is anything like the same player in any other role.

Like Brad Scott moving Ziebell forwards. It will make the team worse, then Pyke will get fired, and then the caretaker will put Sloane straight back into the middle.

Haven't we been selecting 7 lockdown defensive players this year anyway?

Bronw, Hartigan, Talia, Keath, Kelly, Knight, Murphy
We just can't play all of Talia, Hartigan, Kelly & Brown in the same defensive unit as doesn't give us enough offensive drive & impacts on our slow movement.

That's a slow forward line.

Milera + Smith in the same defence does not work because they are both bad at defending. Cautious about Doedee and Keath because both happier intercepting than defending but it might be okay.

Gallucci in the midfield seems like a stretch when he's currently good for 15 possessions and 3 tackles. At SANFL level. Not a ball winner and no defensive physical presence. Uses it beautifully so should be around half forward.

Lack of forward pressure the biggest problem. Would concede too many goals from our D50.

Lock it in for round 1 :thumbsu:
Where's your proof Milera & Smith in defence doesn't work? It's not like neither can defend.

The problem with our defence has been a lack of quality ball users contributing to stagnant ball movement.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Where's your proof Milera & Smith in defence doesn't work? It's not like neither can defend.

The problem with our defence has been a lack of quality ball users contributing to stagnant ball movement.
Opinion. Milera & Smith played in defence together at the start of this year and I didn't think it worked very well.

I also think Milera on the wing is a real need. Keep coming back to the Hawks of 2013-2015 who had a slow midfield and then Smith and Hill tearing up and down the wings. We need Milera doing that for us to compliment our midfield.

Stagnant ball movement appears to be Don's game plan of choice :(

Sadly our list does not have enough two-way players. Most of our players either attack only or defend only. So we will have a defence which leaks goals or a defence which gets bogged down with not enough run. I guess I choose the latter. I think it will be tolerable with Smith + Laird + Doedee + wings getting back to support and provide run.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My predicted 22 after our "external review and our big off season changes

Betts Fog Murphy
Lynch Tex Douglas
Seedsman Matt MacKay
Laird Talia Milera
Brown Hartigan Doedee
Jacobs Brad Sloane
Gaucc Gibbs Kelly Atkins

Jacobs will get first crack at the lead ruck role after GWS traded for Ryder and Sauce was left without a home.
We will draft an amazing kid at pick 4 and not play him.
Jones, et al to still be learning the 'running patterns' and working on 'all three phases of their game'

I can see the only changes being:
Jenkins (requesting a trade)
Knight (requesting a trade)
Greenwood (requesting a trade)
CEY (UFA)
Otten (retired - moved into a boys club development)
Hunter (rookie delist)
Wilson (rookie delist)

That's more than enough changes for our club to make. Lots of change, but not actually doing anything about the problems.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Smith's a really poor defender one on one. Last year he was found out a lot. He's always been a mid played out of position

Betts Fog Murphy
Lynch Tex Douglas
Seedsman Matt MacKay
Laird Talia Milera
Brown Hartigan Doedee
Jacobs Brad Sloane
Gaucc Gibbs Kelly Atkins

Jacobs will get first crack at the lead ruck role after GWS traded for Ryder and Sauce was left without a home.
Jones, et al to still be learning the 'running patterns' and working on 'all three phases of their game'

CEY (UFA)
Otten (retired - moved into a boys club development role)
Davis (delisted)
Hunter (rookie delist)
Wilson (rookie delist)

That's more than enough changes for our club to make. Lots of change, but not actually doing anything about the problems.
Lol... Davis just signed a new 2 year deal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We just can't play all of Talia, Hartigan, Kelly & Brown in the same defensive unit as doesn't give us enough offensive drive & impacts on our slow movement.
"Can't" or "shouldn't"?
We've been doing it all bloody year - so far Don hasn't realised this might be one of the reasons for the slow ball movement. At some stages, we were playing Keath as well!

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Betts Fog Murphy
Lynch Tex Douglas
Seedsman Matt MacKay
Laird Talia Milera
Brown Hartigan Doedee
Jacobs Brad Sloane
Gaucc Gibbs Kelly Atkins

CEY (UFA)
Hunter (rookie delist)
Wilson (rookie delist)

Pick 4? I've been out of the loop on that front, are GC odds on to gain the priority pick?

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
"Can't" or "shouldn't"?
We've been doing it all bloody year - so far Don hasn't realised this might be one of the reasons for the slow ball movement. At some stages, we were playing Keath as well!

A thought I had yesterday while watching the game, we constantly switch play to Kelly, who constantly holds everything up, before either switching back or kicking high and long down the line. Now i pondered why is Kelly always free on the switch and then further pondered are opposition coaches instructing their players to purposefully leave Kelly free, knowing he will at worst hold up play, allowing the opposition to get numbers behind the ball or at best turn the ball over as he is prone to do occasionally.

This constant switch of play to Kelly/Talia/Hartigan is mind boggling.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doodee - Talia - Brown
Milera - Keath - Laird
Smith - Crouch - Seedsman
McHenry - Walker - Gallucci
Himmelberg- Fogarty - Stengle

O'Brien - Crouch - Jones

Hamill - CEY - McAdam/Lynch - Sloane

10 out of the following could go which means they really f**cked up last year.
Jacobs, Betts, Douglas, Mackay, Otten, JJ, Kelly, Atkins, Greenwood, Gibbs, Hartigan, Knight, Hunter, Wilson

Mr Alldayeveryday

Senior List
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the end of season 2019 fast approaching and an all likely cleanout on the horizon, it would be interesting to hear what the 22 people would like to see of Round 1 (barring injuries) in 2020.

My theory is 2020 is a year we just try and build, get games into kids, get experience / confidence across the board while clearing out a large portion of our older players (keep hold of Betts, Sloane, Walker, Talia, Mackay as I think they all have a role off-field to mentor the younger guys.
(I know we all like kicking Mackay, but his form and work ethic warrants another year in my eyes - plus he will be cheap)

We need to start planning for f** tilt 2021 - 2022, this means adding in ALOT of new young blood, getting games into our current group aged 18-22 and cementing for the future.

I've earmarked Fogarty, Himmelberg, Sholl, Butts, Hamill, Jones, McHenry, Stengle, McAdam, McPherson as the most important (not already established) young players to get games into.

your thoughts / opinions welcomes, but try not just nitpick and attack - this is strictly MY opinion below,

2020 Round 1 team:

FB: Luke Brown , Daniel Talia , Lachlan Sholl

HB: Tom Doedee , Jordan Butts , Rory Laird

C: Chayce Jones , Brad Crouch , Brodie Smith

HF: Tom Lynch, Tex Walker, Rory Sloane

FF: Eddie Betts , Darcy Fogarty , Tyson Stengle

FOLL: Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch, Wayne Milera

INT: Lachlan Murphy, Paul Seedsman, Ned McHenry,
Elliot Himmelberg,

EMERG: Andrew McPherson, Myles Poholke, Riley Knight

Others: Will Hamill, Shane McAdam, David Mackay, Ben Davis, Kyle Hartigan, Kieran Strachan(R), + 7 New draftees + 2-3 New Rookie selections.

TAKING INTO ACCOUNT:
-------------------------------

2019 Delist:
Patrick Wilson, Paul Hunter, Richard Douglas, Andy Otten

2019 Trade: (with est. trade value)
Rory Atkins - Mid 2nd round (Est. pk 30)
Alex Keath - Mid 2nd round (Est. pk 25)
Jordan Gallucci - Late 2nd round (Est. pk 33)
Hugh Greenwood - Late 2nd round (Est. pk 35)

Josh Jenkins - Early 3rd round (pk. 40)

Bryce Gibbs - Late 2nd round (Est pk. 42)
Jake Kelly - Mid 3rd round (Est. pk 47)
Sam Jacobs - FREE AGENT (End of 3rd round (Est. pk 55)
CEY - FREE AGENT (no compo)

2019 Draft Picks post Trade week.
Pk. 4 (CARL 1st)
Pk. 21 (CARL 2nd)
Pk. 25
Pk. 29
Pk. 33
Pk. 35
Pk. 40
Pk. 42
Pk. 47
Pk. 55

Shuffle/Trade these picks and try go into the draft with strongest 6-7 picks we can, perhaps something like;

DRAFT NIGHT PICKS: (after academy/FS selections)

Pks. 6, 10, 15, 25, 45, 50, 60*

*USE late pick on Academy kid - Daniel Sladojevic
Ill just give my opinion on what your have posted. 2020-21-22 all need to be building season. This club needs a massive on/off field clean out. Pyke not being the coach soon being one of them. I like all of your ideas with trade but the Crows have Ried who is just as bad as his dad when it comes to trades.

Players you picked on field for next season i think the one that should not play any games apart from a fear well game is Eddie. he doesnt have it at AFL lvl anymore. He can still kick goal of the year but cant kick more than 35m. a kid needs to take that spot, Ned is my choice. Tex and Talia should be thinking about retireing after 2021.

David Mackay and Haritagn still bneing on the list is 99% goiong to happen but i would be 1005 happy to see both go.

I'd switch Sloan and Laird. Sloan needs to be back there for a new role and for his leadership to improve and help the team more. Laird needs to be freed up and play forward/mid. Teams easliy take him out of the game now with a follower all game.

Mr Alldayeveryday

Senior List
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
A thought I had yesterday while watching the game, we constantly switch play to Kelly, who constantly holds everything up, before either switching back or kicking high and long down the line. Now i pondered why is Kelly always free on the switch and then further pondered are opposition coaches instructing their players to purposefully leave Kelly free, knowing he will at worst hold up play, allowing the opposition to get numbers behind the ball or at best turn the ball over as he is prone to do occasionally.

This constant switch of play to Kelly/Talia/Hartigan is mind boggling.
Its alowed by the other team becuase of what you have seen and becuase those players will make mistakes and cant mop them up, more so with more presure on them or late in game. aslo from the long kick team other team want to move the ball quick with leg speed into The Crows D50 before The Crows defenders have a chance to know what is going on and the mids are to slow to do anyhting anyway.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Betts Fog Murphy
Lynch Tex Douglas
Seedsman Matt MacKay
Laird Talia Milera
Brown Hartigan Doedee
Jacobs Brad Sloane
Gaucc Gibbs Kelly Atkins

CEY (UFA)
Hunter (rookie delist)
Wilson (rookie delist)

MacKay, Douglas, Jacobs.....o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back