HF Lynch - Fogarty - Murphy

C Smith - Jones - Sloane
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - B. Crouch

HB Laird - McAsey - Milera
B Brown - Talia - Doedee

I Himmelburg - Seedsman - Gibbs - Atkins

E Butts - Crocker - McHenry - Keays

Last edited:

Poholke looking like he's a shoe in to play round 1 based on how much midfield time they gave him yesterday, had some good moments as well

F. Lynch Fog Stengle
HF Davis Tex Keyes
C Seedsman M Crouch Sloane
HB Milera Doedee Gibbs
B Brown Talia Laird
R ROB B Crouch Smith
Int Jones Fisher Polholke Frampton

Emg Hartigan McAdam Crocker

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Davis is in my side, we need his skill and class forward of centre

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. Think we can only play one of he and McAdam and I think Benny might have his nose in front. He’s certainly earned some games.

We’ve just committed to him for 2 years, surely we invest some games as he works into his 4th year on the list

My Rd1 based on first PS game. Dont think Doods will be ready. Kelly is in until he is.

B - Brown , Talia , Kelly
HB - Milera , McAsey , Laird
C - Sloane , Brouch , Smith
HF - Murphy , Tex , Lynch
F - McAdam , Fog , Stengle

R - ROB , Mrouch , Jones

I - Atkins , Keays , Seed , Frampton/Ezy

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee (Kelly)
HB: Milera, McAsey, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Jones
HF: Lynch, Walker, Sloane
F: Stengle, Fogarty, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Smith, Brouch
I: Sholl, Atkins, 2 of Keays, Crocker, Murphy, Davis

McAdam also fighting with the players on the extended bench... with a few spots up for grabs.

Kelly good chance if Doedee not ready.

I have Sholl as our 7th defender if Gibbs continues his poor disposal. May as well look to the future than persist with ordinary.

I'm assuming we will play only 1 ruckman against Sydney & use a 2nd ruck in later games when up against 2 genuine rucks.

This is what most here seem to be agreed on (although maybe not on the exact positioning), which is 16 out of the 22:

B - Brown , Talia , Kelly and/or Doedee
HB - Milera , ...... , Laird
C - Sloane , Brouch , Smith
HF - ...... , Tex , Lynch
F - ...... , Fog , Stengle

R - ROB , Mrouch , Jones

I - Seedsman , ......, ......, ......

Things should become a little clearer after each trial game. A few years ago things were clear enough that a fair few of us here picked in advance the same team that was named for round one. I can't see things being that clear cut this year, but we swill see what the next couple of weeks bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good team. Only issue would be 2nd ruck. Would likely need Lynch or Walker to ruck. Probably the contentious players are Atkins and Mchenry. Also can Walker, Fogarty and Lynch all play in the same team or is it better playing Fog and one of Lynch or Walker. If you play Himmelberg at full forward you would likely play Fog and Walker and possibly Lynch on the wing. I also liked some glimpses from Davis as well and that goal he kicked reminded me of Charlie Cameron. They could go with Davis instead of Mchenry quite possibly.

I would go:

Round 1

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird McAsey Milera
Smith BCrouch Seedsman
Walker Fogarty Sloane
Mcadam Himmelberg Stengle

ROB MCrouch Jones

Sholl/Kelly Davis Atkins/Keays Lynch

My midfield rotations would be BCrouch Jones Smith MCrouch Milera. You could play Fog for a few spurts in the midfield and play Walker and Berg as your key post and bring Sloane or another runner in at Half forward. We seriously need to move on from the likes of Gibbs and Mackay. Seriously done. I have reservations on Atkins who also shits the bed against good teams that pressure. Himmelberg also needs to really lift this year and take some marks if he is to succeed.

Although the 2nd half against melb in preseason 1 was pretty disappointing our team in round 1 will be vastly different. Sloane and Laird only played bit parts today due to the Representative match this week. Add in Doedee, McAsey, Smith, Walker, Fogarty, Seedsman and possibly one of Sholl/Worrell/Hamill for Gibbs and the team is much better. Some really good signs today from Jones, BCrouch, ROB, McAdam, Milera, Stengle and Davis I thought. If we are to do any good this year we need BCrouch, Laird, Milera, MCrouch, Sloane, Walker, Talia, Smith to be really putting in 110% and taking their game to a new level.
Frampton for burger
Atkins Davis Keays and Lynch the bench

Revised Rd 1 side based on form, quotes from coaching staff and pre-season selections...

B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Laird - McAsey - Milera
C: Atkins - Sloane - Smith
HF: Lynch - Walker - Jones
F: Stengle - Fogarty - Murphy
R: O’Brien - M Crouch - B Crouch
Int: Gibbs - Seedsman - Keays - McHenry

Emg (from): Poholke, Crocker, McAdam, Hartigan, Mackay, Frampton, Himmelberg, Davis, Sholl, Butts

Not even in the frame: Doedee (inj), Gallucci, Knight (inj), Hamill, Worrell, Schoenberg, Wilson, McPherson, O’Connor, Gollant, Strachan

Main question marks are:

Will the selectors have the courage to select McAsey over Hartigan? I’m leaning towards yes.

Will Doedee be ready to go? Edit: the answer is no

Will we select one of Himmelberg / Frampton as the fwd/ruck option or will we go smaller? If we go smaller, who provides a ruck chopout? I honestly have no idea how this will play out at this stage.

Will Mackay inexplicably find his way into the side due to one or more injuries to other players? This is 50/50

Which one of McAdam, McHenry, Crocker or Keays will earn a club debut? No chance of all 4 playing in Rd 1, not really any chance of 3 of the 4 playing either. 2 would be 50/50, but it seems virtually inevitable that at least one of them gets a gig. Keays is leading the pack for mine at this stage but I’d love to see Ned join him.

Will Gibbs play? Can his career be revived? Again, I don’t know the answer to either of these questions.

Last edited:
No Mackay in the team, when will you guys learn. :)
Mackay's in my expected team. And Hartigan.

And Douglas

I'm prepared to be surprised though. Hopefully we invest in these kids. Watch them develop.

For me there are 14 fringe players realistically vying for spots in the best 22. So based on that i'm just going to give a weekly stock up vs stock down on those players

Forwards
Davis +1
McAdam -1
Murphy even
Crocker +1
Stengle +2
Note; Stengle looked most likely to lock a spot down, Davis and Crocker separated themselves but not enough to lock a spot, Murphy was ok, McAdam needs 2 big games to even be in contention.

Defenders
Gibbs -1
DMAC -1
Kelly 0
Note; Kelly took the honors by process of elimination. Was solid, the other 2... Not so much!

Mid or Mid/Fwd
McHenry -1
Kaeys +2
Poholke even
Atkins even
Note; Kaeys was the most eye catching and pushed himself into deep consideration. Poholke and Atkins were better then expected but both made some mistakes. I love the concept of McHenry, but his game was not great. Like McAdam will need to show a lot in the next 2 weeks to make the round 1 team.

Tall Forward/2nd Ruck
Berg even
Billy even
Note; Its a push. Neither separated themselves from the other!

For me there are 14 fringe players realistically vying for spots in the best 22. So based on that i'm just going to give a weekly stock up vs stock down on those players

Forwards
Davis +1
McAdam -1
Murphy even
Crocker +1
Stengle +2
Note; Stengle looked most likely to lock a spot down, Davis and Crocker separated themselves but not enough to lock a spot, Murphy was ok, McAdam needs 2 big games to even be in contention.

Defenders
Gibbs -1
DMAC -1
Kelly 0
Note; Kelly took the honors by process of elimination. Was solid, the other 2... Not so much!

Mid or Mid/Fwd
McHenry -1
Kaeys +2
Poholke even
Atkins even
Note; Kaeys was the most eye catching and pushed himself into deep consideration. Poholke and Atkins were better then expected but both made some mistakes. I love the concept of McHenry, but his game was not great. Like McAdam will need to show a lot in the next 2 weeks to make the round 1 team.

Tall Forward/2nd Ruck
Berg even
Billy even
Note; Its a push. Neither separated themselves from the other!
Frampton was better in the ruck I thought.

Frampton was better in the ruck I thought.
Yep, i'll agree with that. Jumped more aggressively to highpoint the ball. On a few occasions I saw Berg do that thing that Sauce used to do where he would jump but somehow not even leave the ground.

As an ex ruckman, that's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Did you also notice how much Billy's go too ruck move is the 5 o'clock tap over his backside shoulder? Its actually a pretty nice move for a part-time ruckman. It got a bit predictable at the end but still, he showed some decent ruck craft!

Berg had cement hands again, Frampton was the slightly better of the 2 but based on that, I wouldn't play either of them.

Agreed. Also, Frampton exuded a bit of ball-handling reliability about him, including a fine contested mark. Himmelburg did not.
Frampton +1; Himmelburg -1.
As I suspected, Frampton appears more AFL ready now than EH... but suspect both will play games during the year. Need to keep in mind EH still young for a KPP. Would still consider using him in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back