Round 1, 2020 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
I don't care who we play, and where it's played, but please Rhys, have this team mentally & physically prepared to play quality football as of round 1 next year.

20 years since we've played in a GF. 3 Preilims in 20 years of which we were competitive in only one of them. Enough is enough.

The club is bordering on irrelevance. We can sook it up all we like about peripheral crap & the club can waffle on about all the great community work its doing, the AFLW etc. BUT IT'S TIME for us to start winning games regularly & become a SERIOUS finals contender. It's as simple as that. No more stinking it up interstate. No more coughing up leads. No more relying on a bad loss for us to rebound and play good footy. No more losing close games.....…..

Come on Rhys, get this once great club back on course.

Gotta say, I am really goddamn ****ing tired of round 23 Sunday melancholy.

Made finals four times this decade. 2014 and 2015 were the only notable finals excursions.

Even being optimistic, were no chance of jack s**t in elimination finals, let alone the whole ball game in 2012 and 2016.

It's been 13 years next year since we made a Qualifying Final and finished (proper) fourth.

Have been absolutely nowhere near it, even if we looked s**t hot six weeks into 2016 (and then it all came undone).

I am so ******* tired of this s**t. So, so tired. So much so I think I make the same ******* Round 23 post every year.

Rouid 1

tenor.gif

I just wanna see a preseason where Ahern, Zurhaar, Anderson, Tyson, Hall, LDU, Simpkin, Walker, Scott, Thomas and Garner are all fit and hit every session. Of all the things we want to get right for round one having all of our young and non-core mids/half forwards fighting for a handful of spots is probably the most important given this area falls off a cliff once things start going awry.

Agree entirely. The off field stuff is now sorted and should be able to tick itself over. The women's team is set up and can run its own show.

Time for a new era of onfield ruthlessness in the main game - and a Round One win is first cab off the rank.

I don't care who we play, and where it's played, but please Rhys, have this team mentally & physically prepared to play quality football as of round 1 next year.

20 years since we've played in a GF. 3 Preilims in 20 years of which we were competitive in only one of them. Enough is enough.

The club is bordering on irrelevance. We can sook it up all we like about peripheral crap & the club can waffle on about all the great community work its doing, the AFLW etc. BUT IT'S TIME for us to start winning games regularly & become a SERIOUS finals contender. It's as simple as that. No more stinking it up interstate. No more coughing up leads. No more relying on a bad loss for us to rebound and play good footy. No more losing close games.....…..

Come on Rhys, get this once great club back on course.

It's actually 4 PFs in 20 years (2000, 2007, 2014 & 2015). And the one we competitive in I assume was 2015 (when we were 6 goals down half way through the last). AND it's "Rhyce" spelt in a wanky way, not "Rhys".

But otherwise..good post :)

finishing in the middle 6 means we get an average difficulty draw right?

Who knows???? This year a side who won the flag two years ago and the minor premiership last year played last year's wooden spooner twice and had their last 7 H&A games on their home ground. GWS has won a final in each of the last three years and made two PFs in that time, but are locked in to play the Suns twice every single year.

Safe to say that the AFL makes this up on the fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness, I can't wait until Round 1, 2020. This year was wonky at quarter time in Round 1 and shot to smithereens at half-time on Crap Friday. The 17 and a half games since then has been marking time. And, generally speaking, we've done a lot right from there. The Sydney loss should never have happened but it triggered the most positive event of the year, we were out of our depth in the Eagles game, and the less said about 1.8-14 the better. But once I had my head around the season falling short of expectations (which happened way to early), I'm content, although not happy, with the finish.

From May 24 onward - the day we decisively took action on our future - we had the hardest draw in the competition. We played all of the 11 teams who would finish above us bar Adelaide (who we beat anyway) and knocked over two of the Top 4 (Richmond & Collingwood) plus the Dogs, Hawthorn and Port. We only played 3 of the 6 teams below us and won them all. The five losses were against 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th and 8th. Only the Eagles and Geelong were less than competitive. All this with a coach trying to fill in the spaces from what a coaching regime who'd run their race had left him.

We have a good list of young players, maybe handy recruits like Daw and Jacobs and our known exits aren't world beaters (we'll miss Thompson, but Wright had run his race). Trading and FA is so important. Can't believe the nonsense I'm hearing. We don't exist to make the Tim Kelly deal easier. Higgo stays. Goldy stays whilst there is no obvious replacement. Draft well. Trade well and we're closer than we might think. HUGE couple of months ahead here.

Best of all, the team is now Rhyce's. It's his trade period. It's his draft. It's his pre-season. It's his coaching team. No one knows if he's got what it takes to nail all of this. But it's going to be fun finding out.

Will they take Good Friday off us next year?

We got 48K this year. The biggest attendance at any game at Marvel this year. That we played one of the most spiritless, pathetic performances in our recent history won't mean a thing to the AFL. $$$$ talks so we'll play the * again and hopefully we'll put in an effort than is better that shithouse.

Nah it'll be us v Essendon permanently. Its a good way for the AFL to manage Anzac Day loads.

Nah it'll be us v Essendon permanently. Its a good way for the AFL to manage Anzac Day loads.
Hay I wouldn't care if Essendon is the Home team as long as we play them plus it would be good even if the game was played at the MCG with the VFL between both clubs on before hand with entertainment before the main game.
The more $$$$ raised on the day for the kids is what it is all about.

A Queensland Double header The Suns at Metricon one week then the Lions at Gabba next in July good way to survive the cold of Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back