Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to rephrase
I think it likely we will finish bottom 4
If we are wildly successful and win a few well ok , my assessment will be proven wrong....

not sure who you think we are better than?

My gut feel is that if we finally have a decent run with injuries, then we will roll a top 4ish side this year and the footy world will take notice.

My gut feel is that if we finally have a decent run with injuries, then we will roll a top 4ish side this year and the footy world will take notice.
It was only 18 months ago we were knocking them off for fun when Rhyce took over. BBB is a loss but it should make us less predictable. I reckon we will trouble a few if we can adapt to the new game plan.

Here's a stab at our Rd 1 side.

Genuinely found it quite hard and I'd like to blood some more youth.
Think the likes of lazarro powell and co will get a good chance at some stage.

Hall and Tyson are just pure back up if a few senior boys go down. Cant just chuck all the kids in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-204121_Sheets.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-204121_Sheets.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 176

Hall and Tyson are just pure back up if a few senior boys go down. Cant just chuck all the kids in.
Needs more hayden

I agree with this - might be a top 6 side even. Not expecting the world but there will be a couple moments in 2021 where everything clicks.

Jy/LDU get 30 each & a couple bags (of goals) between Stepho / Zurhaar / Larkey / Taylor.

Was more going from a #1 key forward that's basically been 2nd in the coleman for multiple years to a 23yr old with 29 games.

The bloke was moved on for a reason mate.

They are going to look for more entries and multiple options.

Remember that we have an ensemble of marking mid sized forwards that are as good as any lot in the comp, as well as a couple of blokes that can swing in to the forward line.

2nd KPF's: Walker, Xerri, Comben (when fit)

Marking HF's: Zurhaar, Taylor, Ziebell/Cunnington, Garner, Thomas.

There's not much to currently beat anyway:

1610087548800.png

Comden Hasn’t even started training a long way off and we have to play Atley in the side it’s not good we need blokes like Hayden playing.
Atley is finished he has had 200+ games to get it right and if we were a big time club he be out the door either traded or delisted 4 years ago.
Can’t seem to be protecting players in past glories hopefully Nobile will see thru this Hype about Atley.

I’ve been thinking about this a different way. Let’s say all players are fit and playing to their current potential. In this case, we start with our most experienced lineup and then due to injury and form over preseason there will be a number of younger, developing players in the 22. Which ones at this stage is anyone’s guess.

‘21 Rd 1 team - Experienced

B: Corr, J Walker, McDonald
HB: Atley Tarrant, Menedue
C: Dumont, Cunnington, Polec
R: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
HF: Stephenson, Zurhaar, Hall
F: Ziebell, Larkey, Turner
I: Tyson, Anderson, Garner, Campbell

VFL - Developing

B: Perez, McKay, McGuinness
HB: Young,#, Haydon
C: Thomas, W Walker, Scott
R: Xerri, Bonar, Phillips
HF: Powell, Comben, Mahoney
F: Taylor, #, Atu
I: Spicer, P Walker, Lazzaro, Ford

Also, it highlights the need for at least one more KP player.

Thoughts?

I’ve been thinking about this a different way. Let’s say all players are fit and playing to their current potential. In this case, we start with our most experienced lineup and then due to injury and form over preseason there will be a number of younger, developing players in the 22. Which ones at this stage is anyone’s guess.

VFL - Developing

Thoughts?
Campbell swaps with Xerri in the senior squad.
Campbell takes over ruck duties in the VFL squad.

Agree we're in need for another key tall forward; I think that's where skinner comes in if fit.
It would be my only reasoning for picking him over a a rookie mid year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL - Developing

Thoughts?
Atley,Campbell,Garner,Hall,Tyson and Turner if Noble is smart will never play AFL at our club again Menedue could play Round 1.
Blokes Phillips,Perez,Powell,Hayden,Thomas and Scott should play Round 1.
As I supporter I don’t want to see the Good old days of players living under the umbrella of protection from the BS Brad Scott and Joyce that lived off playing maybe at best 3 to 4 great games and brought back straight back in from injury while others who busted their guts out miss out.
This a chance to put things right bring in as much youth as possible and if the kids make a mistake rather them do it then a experienced player that should know better

Atley,Campbell,Garner,Hall,Tyson and Turner if Noble is smart will never play AFL at our club again Menedue could play Round 1.

I agree with this list, they are all depth players but I do have my fingers (and toes) crossed for Garner.

I’ve been thinking about this ...

Thoughts?

My thoughts are you do the probables versus possibles, in which case it looks like this, Probables:

B: Corr - Tarrant - McDonald
HB: Perez - McKay - Thomas
C: Powell - Cunnington - Polec
HF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Taylor
F: Garner - Xerri - Stephenson
R: Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I: Phillips Anderson Spicer Hayden

Possibles:

B: Atley. - JWalker - McGuinness
HB: Young - Skinner - PWalker
C: WWalker - Tyson - Scott
HF: Hall - Comben - Mahoney
F: Lazaro - Ziebell - Atu
R: Campbell - Bonar - Ford
I: Dumont Menadue Turner

Blokes Phillips,Perez,Powell,Hayden,Thomas and Scott should play Round 1.
As I supporter I don’t want to see the Good old days of players living under the umbrella of protection from the BS Brad Scott and Joyce that lived off playing maybe at best 3 to 4 great games and brought back straight back in from injury while others who busted their guts out miss out.
This a chance to put things right bring in as much youth as possible and if the kids make a mistake rather them do it then a experienced player that should know better
I think you may have missed my point. I fully expect 5-7 of the developing players to play Rd 1. Which ones will depend entirely on injury, form and structure so it’s impossible to predict what that looks like until late in the preseason. I’d expect there will be a few surprises.
Those saying x & y should never play AFL again are talking rubbish. Noble will set high standards and rotate through the list until the right combinations are found. Right now all players have an equal opportunity and the Rd 1 team will be picked entirely on merit.

Alright time to take stock keeping in mind we have pick 2 and 11 who could both slot in also

B: Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB: McDonald Walker Perez
C: Dumont LDU Stephenson
HF: Taylor Comben Ziebell
F: Zurhaar Larkey Thomas
R: Goldy Simpkin Cunners
I: Bonar Jed McKay Garner

emg: Pick 2, Pick 11, Turner, Young, Bailey, Atu, Polec, Atley, Hall, Mahony, Tyson, Xerri, campbell

also pick 30 and pick 39

Walker or Mckay to be swingmen and can rotate forward or back
Taking Comben out and replacing him with Phillips

McKay CHB and J Walker CHF

B: Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB: McDonald Mckay Perez
C: Dumont LDU Stephenson
HF: Taylor J Walker Ziebell
F: Zurhaar Larkey Thomas
R: Goldy Simpkin Cunners
I: Bonar Jed Phillips Garner

Emg: Atley Turner Polec

B: Hayden Corr Tarrant
HB: Young McKay LMac
C: Polec Cunnington Perez
HF: Garner Larkey Taylor
F: Stephenson Zeibell Zurhaar

R: Goldy LDU Simpkin

IC: Xerri, Phillips, Scott, Thomas

Emerg: Turner, Mahoney, Anderson

As we play Port in round 1, Corr plays Interceptor to combat Dixon (McKay) and Marshall ( Tarrant) and also help out LMac who gets Rozee and Hayden who gets Butters. Perez plays 7th defender as the defensive wingman.

Garner and Taylor play high up the ground and change with Scott and Thomas.

Cunners changes with Jack at FF.

B: Hayden Corr Tarrant
HB: Young McKay LMac
C: Polec Cunnington Perez
HF: Garner Larkey Taylor
F: Stephenson Zeibell Zurhaar

R: Goldy LDU Simpkin

IC: Xerri, Phillips, Scott, Thomas

Emerg: Turner, Mahoney, Anderson

As we play Port in round 1, Corr plays Interceptor to combat Dixon (McKay) and Marshall ( Tarrant) and also help out LMac who gets Rozee and Hayden who gets Butters. Perez plays 7th defender as the defensive wingman.

Garner and Taylor play high up the ground and change with Scott and Thomas.

Cunners changes with Jack at FF.

The only time I want to see Jack in the middle is when he tosses the coin

B: Atley McKay Tarrant
HB: Young Corr McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Hall
HF: Garner Zurhaar Stephenson
F: Turner Larkey Zeibell

R: Goldstein Davies-Uniake Simpkin

IC: Anderson, Xerri, Scott, Thomas

B: Atley McKay Tarrant
HB: Young Corr McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Hall
HF: Garner Zurhaar Stephenson
F: Turner Larkey Zeibell

R: Goldstein Davies-Uniake Simpkin

IC: Anderson, Xerri, Scott, Thomas

this has to be close.. barring injuries.

Agree with starting 6 will be Larks and a couple big boy mids (zeebs, zurharar and garner). Imagine being a flaky half back flanker and getting tackled by those 3 + Turner.

Noticeable outs:
W. Phillips - Are younger teams harder to crack in to? Would love to see it but not sure I would drop anyone from the bench for him.. Maybe Anderson if pushed.
T. Dumont - Would be huge but i would tend to agree that with this starting 22 I don't think i would have him in over polec, scott and hall (if he's firing).
J. Walker - Great pick-up last year, has runs on the board but is a fringe player and I wouldn't start him either but some people will raise
F. Perez - Would love to see him play round 1, but also would be happy with 10-15 games this seasons and I don't care when they come.

this has to be close.. barring injuries.

Agree with starting 6 will be Larks and a couple big boy mids (zeebs, zurharar and garner). Imagine being a flaky half back flanker and getting tackled by those 3 + Turner.

Noticeable outs:
W. Phillips - Are younger teams harder to crack in to? Would love to see it but not sure I would drop anyone from the bench for him.. Maybe Anderson if pushed.
T. Dumont - Would be huge but i would tend to agree that with this starting 22 I don't think i would have him in over polec, scott and hall (if he's firing).
J. Walker - Great pick-up last year, has runs on the board but is a fringe player and I wouldn't start him either but some people will raise
F. Perez - Would love to see him play round 1, but also would be happy with 10-15 games this seasons and I don't care when they come.

I don't think it will be far off.

Phillips: is still an unknown quantity until the practice matches. No chance he will replace Jed (3rd in B&F)
Frog: He would be stiff, but for mine Hall gives us more offensively, and I reckon the youth push would see Bailey preferred in the rotation.
Walker: Xerri & Walker are a toss up for the big forward ruck/rotations, but as they have declared Xerri as Goldy's heir, I reckon they will go with him.
Perez: I can't see him replacing McDonald, Atley or Corr, so it's either him of Young, and the wraps on Young have been good.

One thig's for sure, if they all stay fit, then I reckon there's about 5 spots that will be hotly contested.

2nd ruck/KPF: Xerri, Walker
HBF/BP: Young, Perez, Hayden
Wing: Hall, Dumont, Scott (Phillips & Powell?)
HFF /FP: Turner, Thomas, Garner, Taylor, Mahony, Bosenavulagi (Ford?)

The blokes I have on the 2021 fringes due to injury/development or list depth: Campbell, Comben, Menadue, McGuiness, W. Walker, Spicer, Lazzaro, P. Walker

Question marks: Bonar & Tyson

Last edited:
I don't think it will be far off.

Phillips: is still an unknown quantity until the practice matches. No chance he will replace Jed (3rd in B&F)
Frog: He would be stiff, but for mine Hall gives us more offensively, and I reckon the youth push would see Bailey preferred in the rotation.
Walker: Xerri & Walker are a toss up for the big forward ruck/rotations, but as they have declared Xerri as Goldy's heir, I reckon they will go with him.
Perez: I can't see him replacing McDonald, Atley or Corr, so it's either him of Young, and the wraps on Young have been good.

One thig's for sure, if they all stay fit, then I reckon there's about 5 spots that will be hotly contested.

2nd ruck/KPF: Xerri, Walker, Comben
HBF/BP: Young, Perez, Hayden
Wing: Hall, Dumont, Scott (Phillips & Powell)
HFF /FP: Turner, Thomas, Garner, Taylor, Mahony, Bosenavulagi (Ford)

For a team that finished 17th we are building a decent squad. There is some talent that will miss selection or all are injury free.
This will create pressure which in turn make players want to perform.

For a team that finished 17th we are building a decent squad. There is some talent that will miss selection or all are injury free.
This will create pressure which in turn make players want to perform.

We're already a lot better than what was shown in 2020, but a new direction, another year of development, and some good recruiting should boost that.

I am bullish that we can snag 7-8 wins, and push some of the good sides. Especially back at Docklands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back