updated 22 with the inclusion of Will Phillips

B: Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB: McDonald Walker Perez
C: Dumont LDU Stephenson
HF: Taylor Comben Ziebell
F: Zurhaar Larkey Thomas
R: Goldy Simpkin Cunners
I: Phillips Jed McKay Garner

emg: Bonar, Turner, Young, Bailey, Atu, Polec, Atley, Hall, Mahony, Tyson, Xerri, campbell, Powell, Lazzaro

Jan 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McDonald, Mckay, Hayden
Young, Tarrant, Corr
Scott, Cunnington, Polec
Stephenson, Zurhaar, Thomas
Taylor, Larkey, Anderson
Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin

Int: Phillips, Perez, Dumont, Ziebell/Walker (Josh)

Emg. W.Walker, Mahoney, Comben, everyone else on the list

Roast me all you like, JZ may not be best 22

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McDonald, Mckay, Hayden
Young, Tarrant, Corr
Scott, Cunnington, Polec
Stephenson, Zurhaar, Thomas
Taylor, Larkey, Anderson
Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin

Int: Phillips, Perez, Dumont, Ziebell/Walker (Josh)

Emg. W.Walker, Mahoney, Comben, everyone else on the list

Roast me all you like, JZ may not be best 22

He is struggling big time which is both a good sign and disappointing.

Aug 11, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1607578592649.png

1607578717636.png

For mine, if Polec is fit, he’s a walk-up for R1. He’s a genuine talent and should be right at the peak of his powers. If we’ve decided to pay him, we should play him. However, if he doesn’t step up and keep his end of the bargain, well that’s another story entirely. Ultimately, I’m bullish about Jared. I think/hope Noble will be a good fit for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

CunnyTarryn

Senior List
Apr 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
‘21 Rd 1 team

B: Corr, McKay, McDonald
HB: Perez Tarrant, Thomas
C: Dumont, Cunnington, Polec
R: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
HF: Stephenson, Comben, Taylor
F: Zurhaar, Larkey, Atu
I: Young, Anderson, Scott, Ziebell

VFL
B: Atley, J Walker, Turner
HB: Menedue, McGuinness, Haydon
C: W Walker, Tyson, Powell
R: Campbell, Bonar, Philips
HF: Lazzaro, Garner, Hall
F: Ford, Xerri, Mahoney
I: Spicer, P Walker, #, #

Mmm, 2 list spots left. We really do need a couple of KPP

Duck the GOAT

Senior List
Apr 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Corr Mckay McDonald
Perez Tarrant Atley
Dumont Simpkin Polec
Ziebell Larkey Taylor
Zurhaar Stephenson Thomas
Goldstein Cunnington Anderson
IC: Davies-Uniacke, Scott, Phillips, J.Walker

Not my personal choices, but how i think it will land R1 if everyone is fit.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
We are taking the piss if we play Dumont in a center square role at any point in the next few years.

He's been a very solid player for us, a consistent top 5 B&F finisher. He often plays a sacrificial defensive role for the side.

But he's every bit as slow as Jack @ 3.20+ over 20m.

This also isn't taking into account Cunnington coming back as well.

Cunnington and Simpkin should be the two "senior" midfielders in their for the majority of center bounces. With LDU, Phillips and Powell rotating in there for game time. Anderson as well is someone that's going to have to compromise on his role a little bit.

I honestly think he will get phased out of the side slowly in the next 2-3 years as it becomes stronger.

Froggy is a FA next year - might be worth letting him go while we can get something worthwhile.

kangaanth

Team Captain
May 12, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
blackburn rovers
We are taking the piss if we play Dumont in a center square role at any point in the next few years.

He's been a very solid player for us, a consistent top 5 B&F finisher. He often plays a sacrificial defensive role for the side.

But he's every bit as slow as Jack @ 3.20+ over 20m.

This also isn't taking into account Cunnington coming back as well.

Cunnington and Simpkin should be the two "senior" midfielders in their for the majority of center bounces. With LDU, Phillips and Powell rotating in there for game time. Anderson as well is someone that's going to have to compromise on his role a little bit.

I honestly think he will get phased out of the side slowly in the next 2-3 years as it becomes stronger.
I disagree. We should fatten dumont up for market next year to leave as a free agent and get compensation.

samoodan

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The desire to have at least two big guys in the forward line is the expectation for a traditional north line up.. Is that true at all any more? There are hardly any pack marks in the forward line. More nippy blokes running into space, or kicks from further out.

It'll be interesting to see north fielding a team with one tall forward and a mix of medium and small forwards

Digby Morrell

All Australian
Aug 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Corr Mckay McDonald
Perez Tarrant Atley
Dumont Simpkin Polec
Ziebell Larkey Taylor
Zurhaar Stephenson Thomas
Goldstein Cunnington Anderson
IC: Davies-Uniacke, Scott, Phillips, J.Walker

Not my personal choices, but how i think it will land R1 if everyone is fit.
I like it and tend to agree. Only change I would consider is Xerri for J Walker. A second ruck / fwd would round the team out nicely.

Also think Young might be picked ahead of Atley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AFL
Atley - McKay - Corr
Thomas - Tarrant - McDonald
Polec - Cunnington - Stephenson
Taylor - Comben - Scott
Zurhaar - Larkey - Ziebell

Goldstein - Simpkin - LDU

Phillips, Anderson, Dumont, Hayden/Perez

VFL
Young - J. Walker - Bonar
P. Walker - McGuiness - Hayden/Perez
W. Walker - Hall - Menadue
Turner - Xerri - Mahoney
Spicer - Ford - Bosenavulagi

Campbell - Tyson - Powell

(Lazzaro)
  • Thomas should play the whole year off half-back to get him more consistently involved, was great there for North Launceston
  • Our key position depth is abysmal, a lot riding on Comben
  • Overall our depth is still pretty poor, we're a few injuries away from 17th-18th you'd think
  • Still lack X-factor through the middle, a lot riding on LDU's continued improvement and Cunnington making a full recovery

Young - McKay - Corr
Hayden - Tarrant - McDonald
Polec - Cunnington - Dumont
Taylor - Xerri - Stephenson
Zurhaar - Larkey - Ziebell

Goldstein - Simpkin - LDU

Phillips, Anderson, Atley, Scott

Emergencies: W.Walker, Comben and Perez

Assuming TT isn’t 100%.

Last edited:
I don't normally do these.

Hayden, MacKay, Corr,
McDonald, Tarrant, Perez,
Polec, Cunnington, Scott,
Taylor, Ziebell, Stephenson,
Turner, Larkey, Zurhaar,
Goldstein, Simpkin, LDU,
Int from Anderson, Phillips, Atley, Dumont, Xerri, Hall maybe Young.

I dunno if TT will be ready by r1 if he is still not running properly now. Starts on the bench if he cos he probably won't be match fit.

The only ones who really lack pace in that group are Cunners, Goldy (a running machine tho), Ziebs, Dumont and Xerri. I've never thought of Taz, BigBmac or Larkey as lacking pace. Some of them are obviously faster than others. Turner is in there specifically because I still wonder about Stephenson's hardness and pressure. Taylor is someone I'm still unsure of. If he approaches this season the way he did last then he is a lock and he has worked on one of his weaknesses, his endurance, if his time trial performance is anything to go by.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the absolute locks for round one are:

Defenders: McKay, Tarrant, Corr, McDonald and Atley
Mids: Goldstein, Cunnington, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke, Dumont, Polec and Anderson
Forwards: Larkey, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Taylor, Thomas and Ziebell

This only leaves four more players to be added to the side, but two of them need to be defenders for structural purposes. So that's two of Hayden, Perez, Young, Menadue, Bonar and J. Walker added to the side. I think we'll also need a second ruck for Goldstein and I can't see them using Larkey in that role so we'll likely be playing one of Xerri, Comben and J. Walker in the side as well.

This leaves one spot available for Phillips, Garner, Turner, Scott, Powell, Mahony, Hall and the rest of our list, which you'd assume has to go to Phillips now. It's tough not having Scott in the side, but I'm not sure how it's possible without moving a mid into the defensive rotations like we did with Higgo last year.

I love Scott as a prospect, but unless he develops a mature body he needs to be an elite runner to be a lock in our best 22. I have him as the next mid in line to come in, but Powell and W. Walker are both coming hard. Stephenson being played predominately as a mid would also push all of those names back and leave room for another forward.

Garner is also a tough out and he'll be coming hard for one of the spots occupied by Zurhaar, Taylor and Thomas. There's a strong chance he takes it by round one if one of those three has a quiet preseason. He might also take Stephenson's spot if as discussed above he is viewed predominately as a mid, although they might opt for a small (Turner, Mahony or Spicer) for structural purposes in that scenario.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott is a lock. Apart from LDU and Larkey, he is the surest thing we have under 22.

Is Taylor going to have match fitness?

Anderson is a lock. Dumont and Atley 70% locks.

Corr and Stephenson will be locks from the new recruits. You can probably pencil Phillips in too.

People looking for wholesale changes might be disappointed. There will be about 30% changes to the 2020 list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back