millwall fc
B: Hayden, McKay, Corr
HB: Perez, Tarrant, McDonald
C: Polec, Cunnington, Scott
HF: Thomas , Larkey, Taylor
F: Stephenson, Ziebell, Zurhaar
Foll: Goldy, LDU, Simpkin
Int: Anderson, Dumont, Garner, Hall

Emg: Pick 2, Pick 11, Atley, Bonar, Turner, Young, Xerri, Walker, Mahoney, Bosenavulagi, W.Walker?, EVW?, McGuinness
How you can pick a side and name hall is mind blowing?

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How you can pick a side and name hall is mind blowing?

Why is it mind blowing? He played his role this year.

In my side we need some experience, and the benefit of having Hall on the bench is that he can play multiple roles; wing, half forward and through the middle.

He'll play plenty next year whether you like it or not.

So the good news is... no one actually struggled to “field a team” next season.

Great. I was worried Boomer was going to have to run out after recent commentary. :rolleyes:

I know there's already a plethora of draft talk elsewhere, but looking at the 22's above, it couldn't be more obvious that cornes nonsense doesn't hold water.

There's 'enough' options for the most part, what this club needs is to improve its top 3 players, not its top 5 to 10.

By improving the top 3, the rest of the list walks taller, so you get the broader lift you're aiming for by say splitting 2 into 6,7 anyway.

Hold firm on 2, draft a freak talent.

Looking good...

First crack without looking at anyone else's:

B: Corr McKay Hayden
HB: Perez Tarrant McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Scott
HF: Stephenson Comben Taylor
F: Zurhaar Larkey Ziebell
Foll: Goldstein Davies-Uniacke Simpkin
Int: Garner, Thomas, Dumont, Anderson,

Emg: Young, Atley, J. Walker, Hall

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
I think aswell people underestimate how big a fit cunnington will be for us next year. Getting him in the midfield with Unaiacke Anderson and Simpkin playing the way they did this year will be huge. We've lost Higgins, however this means more opportunity for uniacke, we saw his quality this year once he got fit. Our midfield could be quite exciting next year. its not all doom and gloom especially when you also have the disposal of Polec and Scott on the wings. Think this clearly shows how important it will be to get mcdonald or thilthorope as its a big risk putting it on Combens shoulders after the injury he had

roosmad

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2007
Phoenix
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
millwall fc
Why is it mind blowing? He played his role this year.

In my side we need some experience, and the benefit of having Hall on the bench is that he can play multiple roles; wing, half forward and through the middle.

He'll play plenty next year whether you like it or not.
The guy is the turn over master, he would win a brownlow if it was based on how many times you can turn the ball over or sell your team mate into a near death experience possession.....will be first off the list at completion of 2021 season followed by spud number 2 Tyson......
i even will not collect hall football cards it’s just to hard.....

roosmad

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2007
Phoenix
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
millwall fc
Roos fanatic here’s my team

B. VW. Tarant Mckay
HB. Perez. Walker. Corr
C. Polac. Simpkin McDonald
HF. Taylor. larkey Thomas
F. Zurhaar ziebell stephenson
R Goldstein cunnington LDU
INT Anderson Scott pick2

that leaves one spot open not sure who gets it.......
we Need to change up our forward line structure ASAP, ziebell permament forward from now on

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Roos fanatic here’s my team

B. VW. Tarant Mckay
HB. Perez. Walker. Corr
C. Polac. Simpkin McDonald
HF. Taylor. larkey Thomas
F. Zurhaar ziebell stephenson
R Goldstein cunnington LDU
INT Anderson Scott pick2

that leaves one spot open not sure who gets it.......
we Need to change up our forward line structure ASAP, ziebell permament forward from now on
Noticed you don’t have Atley in the side . Agree totally on that one . Only ones I would question (Lmac on a wing ? Why when he won our B&F off half back ) & I think Kyron would be ahead of EVW or Perez (just)
If Pick 2 is Logan McDonald (he would at FF)? Instead of Jack .
Mahoney or Kanye as the small forward

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB: Hayden, Tarrant, Corr
HB: Perez, McKay, McDonald
C: Polec, Cunnington, Dumont
HF: Taylor, Walker, Thomas,
FF: Zurhaar, Larkey, Stephenson
R: Goldstein, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke
INT: Anderson, Scott, Atley, Ziebell

Didn't consider picks 2 or 11.

FB: Hayden, Tarrant, Corr
HB: Atley, McKay, McDonald
C: Polec, Cunnington, Dumont
HF: Taylor, Walker, Thomas,
FF: Zurhaar, Larkey, Stephenson
R: Goldstein, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke
INT: Anderson, Scott, Atley, Ziebell

Didn't consider picks 2 or 11.
Would rather Perez over Atley

but you’ve got ats twice yet alone once

although maybe ats can play wing instead of Polec who imo shouldn’t be in the team

roosmad

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2007
Phoenix
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
millwall fc
Noticed you don’t have Atley in the side . Agree totally on that one . Only ones I would question (Lmac on a wing ? Why when he won our B&F off half back ) & I think Kyron would be ahead of EVW or Perez (just)
If Pick 2 is Logan McDonald (he would at FF)? Instead of Jack .
Mahoney or Kanye as the small forward
Atley is backup only, mcdonald must move up the ground for north to become more offensive and use his long kicking, VW is way under rated, Hayden’s skills are not at VW level,I believe.Mahoney and turner are not required in my opinion, ziebell forward needs to be the key...

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Interesting isn't it, and its very hypothetical because it will all come down to availability which hopefully is a lot better than the season past. I'm not going to even venture to put forward my view only to say suddenly theres a selection conundrum which can only be a good thing and note that no-one has even made mention of a guy like Dom Tyson, a 200 game plus player in Atley is being considered by some an emergency, some have left Bailey Scott out of the starting 22, a couple of high draft picks who are likely to play most of the season, not to mention a talented young player like Will Walker (who I am hopeful gets another contract). The difficulty in picking a clear starting line up in light that 13 players have just been exited shows the club is on the right track, its exciting times ahead, and can't wait to see who the new coach is, who we draft, who else we might pick up, and how we line up in 2021. Off to renew my membership.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting isn't it, and its very hypothetical because it will all come down to availability which hopefully is a lot better than the season past. I'm not going to even venture to put forward my view only to say suddenly theres a selection conundrum which can only be a good thing and note that no-one has even made mention of a guy like Dom Tyson, a 200 game plus player in Atley is being considered by some an emergency, some have left Bailey Scott out of the starting 22, a couple of high draft picks who are likely to play most of the season, not to mention a talented young player like Will Walker (who I am hopeful gets another contract). The difficulty in picking a clear starting line up in light that 13 players have just been exited shows the club is on the right track, its exciting times ahead, and can't wait to see who the new coach is, who we draft, who else we might pick up, and how we line up in 2021. Off to renew my membership.

Could have a pretty impressive line-up in the VFL at least early in the season. I could see guys like Hall, Atley, Tyson, Mahoney, Xerri, Campbell, R2, Young, Perez, Hayden, Comben, and a brace of new draft picks all starting in the VFL.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was it only 2 yrs ago we played about 7 new blokes and fell in a heap....
posters are badly underestimating the importance of a consistent team set Up...
as most would acknowledge JMac was just a good average player but he played week in week out, so did Higgo, so did BB
Marley and pittard Also played a lot and Majak the year before
We have lost a heap of game experience so are now going to go thru the ups and downs of new players learning Each other’s game

2 elephants in the room
Cunners, to play footy the way he does, and have a bad back......just sayin
the injury crew...evw ww Garns Hayden turner too It seemed obvious that BJ was cactus, I couldnot believe my eyes reading comben injury history
Really need to pay more attention to this when picking up players

rick sanchez

Draftee
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Hayden, McKay, Corr

HB: McDonald, Tarrant, Perez

C: LDU, Cunnington, Simpkin

HF: W.Walker , Larkey, C.Taylor

F: Garner, Comben, Zurhaar

Foll: Goldy, Thomas, Stephenson

Int: Anderson, Scott, and the two best performed under 21s in the preseason

i wish i could put mcdonald on a wing i would love to have him in our midfield but we have no depth at half back

atley, hall, jack, polec ,josh walker, dumont would all help us win games but wont get us any closer to a flag we need to move past them all

people naming josh walker in the team reminds me of how everyone had marley willams as a lock last year

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB:CorrMcKayHayden
HB:McDonald (C)TarrantYoung
C:ScottCunningtonPolec
R:GoldsteinLDUSimpkin (VC)
HF:TaylorLarkeyHollands
FF:ZurhaarCombenStephenson
I:J. WalkerAndersonPerezThomas
Personally, I feel as if Scott will play his best footy as a winger and not a half-forward, he has all the traits you would want in a winger
Ziebell, Atley, Dumont, Garner and Hall all miss for the simple fact we're trying to play kids.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Starting Forwards:
  1. Ziebell
  2. Zurhaar
  3. Stephenson
  4. Larkey
  5. Taylor
  6. Turner
Starting Mids/Wings:
  1. Cunnington
  2. Simpkin
  3. Davies-Uniacke
  4. Scott
  5. Polec
Starting Ruck:
  1. Goldstein
Starting Defenders:
  1. McDonald
  2. Atley
  3. Corr
  4. McKay
  5. Tarrant
  6. Hall
Interchange:
  1. Dumont
  2. Anderson
  3. Walker
  4. Thomas
Emerg:
  1. Mahoney
  2. Garner
  3. Perez
Tough calls on Ed and Kyron is this setup.

This team aims to retain competitive integrity with most listed senior players being played but a good representation of youth.

Walker can swing play either end as required structurally.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB:CorrMcKayHayden
HB:McDonald (C)TarrantYoung
C:ScottCunningtonPolec
R:GoldsteinLDUSimpkin (VC)
HF:TaylorLarkeyHollands
FF:ZurhaarCombenStephenson
I:J. WalkerAndersonPerezThomas
Personally, I feel as if Scott will play his best footy as a winger and not a half-forward, he has all the traits you would want in a winger
Ziebell, Atley, Dumont, Garner and Hall all miss for the simple fact we're trying to play kids.
This isn't necessarily directed at you alone, because there are a number of people who have expressed similar sentiments in this thread. But Trent Dumont is only 25 and has finished at least equal 5th, equal 3rd, and 5th in the last three Syd Barker medal counts. Frankly, it's staggering that people don't include him in the 18, let alone on the bench, especially when you consider that everyone says he's a great leader in terms of setting standards on the track and we have a young group that needs young leaders. He's got so many more runs on the board than other players who people here select ahead of him and he's still young enough to be part of our next finals team.

I think it's mainly because so many people here don't understand what's required from a winger in the modern game. It's no longer the days where wingers are fast, skilled players that play exclusively on the outside. In fact, in the modern game they have to be hard working and positionally and structurally disciplined. Everyone should go back and read what Mitch Robinson wrote about the role of the modern winger a couple of seasons ago. These days it's one of the most important structural positions on the ground and Dumont, imo, is by far the best player and importantly the most suited player we have for that position.

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This isn't necessarily directed at you alone, because there are a number of people who have expressed similar sentiments in this thread. But Trent Dumont is only 25 and has finished at least equal 5th, equal 3rd, and 5th in the last three Syd Barker medal counts. Frankly, it's staggering that people don't include him in the 18, let alone on the bench, especially when you consider that everyone says he's a great leader in terms of setting standards on the track and we have a young group that needs young leaders. He's got so many more runs on the board than other players who people here select ahead of him and he's still young enough to be part of our next finals team.

I think it's mainly because so many people here don't understand what's required from a winger in the modern game. It's no longer the days where wingers are fast, skilled players that play exclusively on the outside. In fact, in the modern game they have to be hard working and positionally and structurally disciplined. Everyone should go back and read what Mitch Robinson wrote about the role of the modern winger a couple of seasons ago. These days it's one of the most important structural positions on the ground and Dumont, imo, is by far the best player and importantly the most suited player we have for that position.
Righto my bad, I'd want to put him in over Polec but Polec provides a good kick which we don't have much of, Scott is also young and very talented and I feel as if the other 4 mids listed are going to be ahead of him next season, would probably come in for Josh Walker.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Starting Forwards:
  1. Ziebell
  2. Zurhaar
  3. Stephenson
  4. Larkey
  5. Taylor
  6. Turner
Starting Mids/Wings:
  1. Cunnington
  2. Simpkin
  3. Davies-Uniacke
  4. Scott
  5. Polec
Starting Ruck:
  1. Goldstein
Starting Defenders:
  1. McDonald
  2. Atley
  3. Corr
  4. McKay
  5. Tarrant
  6. Hall
Interchange:
  1. Dumont
  2. Anderson
  3. Walker
  4. Thomas
Emerg:
  1. Mahoney
  2. Garner
  3. Perez
Tough calls on Ed and Kyron is this setup.

This team aims to retain competitive integrity with most listed senior players being played but a good representation of youth.

Walker can swing play either end as required structurally.
Would much rather see Kyron or Perez getting experience as starting defenders and learning from their mistakes that you might expect from an under 20 year old developing player rather than playing the worst 200 gamer in history "deer in the headlights" Atley who still plays like a first year player

Back