Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

We're already a lot better than what was shown in 2020, but a new direction, another year of development, and some good recruiting should boost that.

I am bullish that we can snag 7-8 wins, and push some of the good sides. Especially back at Docklands.

We’ll be way better just by having a shorter injury list.

Loss of Higgins will impact so we’ll need some of those younger players with AFL experience already to step up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

B: Corr - McKay - McDonald
HB: Perez - Taz - Atley
C: Polec - Simpkin - Stephenson
R: Goldy - Cunnington - LDU
HF: Taylor - Garner - Scott
F: Ziebell - Larkey - Zurhaar
I/C: Anderson - Tarryn - Phillips - turner - JWalker - Ford - Frog - Menadue - WWalker - Xerri - Mahoney - Atu - Hayden - Hall

Last edited:
We're already a lot better than what was shown in 2020, but a new direction, another year of development, and some good recruiting should boost that.

I am bullish that we can snag 7-8 wins, and push some of the good sides. Especially back at Docklands.
7-8 wins is about par, We have a ridiculous draw.. theres no reason, if we stay fit, it cant be 10 wins. It looks decent on paper. The midfield looks to be coming together nicely. Defence still needs a good ball user off half back and one tall short up forward

7-8 wins is about par, We have a ridiculous draw.. theres no reason, if we stay fit, it cant be 10 wins. It looks decent on paper. The midfield looks to be coming together nicely. Defence still needs a good ball user off half back and one tall short up forward

I'm not disagreeing with that, but I haven't seen the game plan yet.

Edited - JZ hbf, Scott into 18 and Young to bench - no change to 22.

Time to consider this 'experienced v the kids' issue with names attached.

This is the way I am seeing it now (all players assumed to be available.)

This is neither an 'old' or 'young' team - just a well balanced team with the resources we have on our list.

B. Kyron McKay Corr
HB. JZ Taz LMac
C. Polec Cunners Dumont
HF. Scott Larkey Curtis
F. Zurhaar Stevo TT
R. Goldie LDU Jy

INT: J Walker, Young, Phillips, Jed

Depth - experienced players - Atley, Hall, Turner, Garner, Tyson
Depth - younger players - Perez, Mahoney, Xerri, Combden, W Walker

Last edited:
It was perhaps an inevitability that we'd eventually move one of our experienced players down back. Kudos to the few who picked out Ziebell for the role, which in hindsight makes sense seeing that Noble saw first-hand how successful the Hodge experiment was. The less obvious benefit of moving Ziebell down back is it unlocks the ability to truly select a round one team that fields our best 22 players. One of my complaints with my first draft was having to exclude Bailey Scott for Flynn Perez. I'd much rather have Bailey Scott in the team, but seven defenders is the minimum that an AFL side can run with (that didn't stop a lot of experts on here from naming six) and we lack proven performers in that part of the ground.

Anyways here is my second draft:

FB: McDonald, Tarrant, Corr
HB: Ziebell, McKay, Atley
C: Polec, Cunnington, Dumont
HF: Taylor, Larkey, Thomas
FF: Turner, Stephenson, Zurhaar
C: Goldstein, Simpkin, LDU
INT: Anderson, Phillips, Young, Scott

This feels pretty close to what I'd expect to see round one. I have Young as the seventh defender, but any one of Young, Perez or Hayden wouldn't surprise me. I suspect it'll all come down to preseason form. Garner is the best player I've omitted, but he'll need a huge preseason to become a serious threat. I've also cheated a little with Phillips on the bench, as I don't know where his minutes would actually come from. Structurally that should be another forward, but I'm sure Noble can figure it out.

It was perhaps an inevitability that we'd eventually move one of our experienced players down back. Kudos to the few who picked out Ziebell for the role, which in hindsight makes sense seeing that Noble saw first-hand how successful the Hodge experiment was. The less obvious benefit of moving Ziebell down back is it unlocks the ability to truly select a round one team that fields our best 22 players. One of my complaints with my first draft was having to exclude Bailey Scott for Flynn Perez. I'd much rather have Bailey Scott in the team, but seven defenders is the minimum that an AFL side can run with (that didn't stop a lot of experts on here from naming six) and we lack proven performers in that part of the ground.

Anyways here is my second draft:

FB: McDonald, Tarrant, Corr
HB: Ziebell, McKay, Atley
C: Polec, Cunnington, Dumont
HF: Taylor, Larkey, Thomas
FF: Turner, Stephenson, Zurhaar
C: Goldstein, Simpkin, LDU
INT: Anderson, Phillips, Young, Scott

This feels pretty close to what I'd expect to see round one. I have Young as the seventh defender, but any one of Young, Perez or Hayden wouldn't surprise me. I suspect it'll all come down to preseason form. Garner is the best player I've omitted, but he'll need a huge preseason to become a serious threat. I've also cheated a little with Phillips on the bench, as I don't know where his minutes would actually come from. Structurally that should be another forward, but I'm sure Noble can figure it out.

Good side MR.

My only question is, who chops out Goldy?

If he got injured then we would be completely rooted.

If training is anything to go by the team could look like the below

B: Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB: Ziebell Mckay McDonald
C: Polec Cunners Stevo
HF: Thomas Larkey Turner
F: Taylor Zurhaar Garner
R: Goldy LDU Simpkin
I: Phillips Dumont Jed J Walker

I don’t think Polec or Turner should be in but have a feeling their experience will get them picked ahead of younger players

I don’t think Polec or Turner should be in but have a feeling their experience will get them picked ahead of younger players

I would be staggered if Scott wasn't in the round 1 side. Turner out/ Scott in on the HFF

If Garner is playing round I would be surprised but it might be a good sign that the body and attitude are all coming together. 8 years in the system and still hasn't cracked 50 games. The club has put a lot of faith in his talent for nor meaningful return so far.

Good side MR.

My only question is, who chops out Goldy?

If he got injured then we would be completely rooted.

I had Xerri in the side for a long time, but the more I thought about it I started wondering if it's worth it for the 10% of the game that Goldy usually rests.

McKay and Larkey can do the rucking when the ball is inside our forward/defensive 50 and if you limit the centre bounces that Goldy misses to 1-3 with smart rotations you could get away with Larkey or even Zurhaar (if they think his body can handle it) pinch hitting. I'd personally go with Zurhaar, as I think we're losing those hit outs either way and Zurhaar can at least hurt the opposition afterwards.

Assuming it's Zurhaar, the question becomes is the downside of Zurhaar attending a few stoppages per game worth playing somebody like Turner, Garner or Thomas over Xerri. For me it is, which is why I made the last minute decision to take out Xerri.

I will admit it would be disastrous if Goldstein is injured and as Heaps of fun pointed out it would most likely have to be McKay.

P

polec will play Round 1
Turner won’t play Round 1 and is a list clogger VFL player only

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just looking forward to going to the ******* footy again.

Yeah, I am looking forward to running in to old faces, and a couple of new one's too.

It's been a loooooooooooong hiatus.

Polec is an elite attacking wingman. Of course he's a lock for round one. Yeah he has issues, but when given the luxury to just do what he wants he's a gamebreaker.

Like every other player, Polec will need to earn his R1 spot. From my perspective, he just needs to train well and his natural ability will do the rest. On the other hand, if Jared behaves like a lazy pillock on the training track, then he rightly will not get a sniff of being selected for R1. I 100% expect the former to be the case. Otherwise, we’ll be paying big bucks for zip.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like every other player, Polec will need to earn his R1 spot. From my perspective, he just needs to train well and his natural ability will do the rest. On the other hand, if Jared behaves like a lazy pillock on the training track, then he rightly will not get a sniff of being selected for R1. I 100% expect the former to be the case. Otherwise, we’ll be paying big bucks for zip.

Absolutely.

Jared doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd enjoy shlepping around in the 2's every week, so I'm backing him in to apply himself on the track. Provided he meets the baseline requirements (staying fit, adhering to game plan, etc), he's comfortably best 22 and a lock for the Round 1 side on talent. Jet footballer when on song/in form. (D'uh.)

the Ziebull's just playing out another one of his weird obsessions. Not sure why people bother responding. No amount of sanity or reason is going to change his views on Polecat, or stem the unrelenting tide of inane, thread-derailing, forum-spamming posts that this joint will have to endure until Jared finally departs Arden Street's sunny shores. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Luckily his deal was heavily front ended so Polec is now on average wage

I'll give it a go.

B: Corr Tarrant Ziebell
HB: Young McKay McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Taylor Zurharr Stephenson
F: Turner Larkey Anderson
IC: Atley, Xerri, Scott, Thomas

It's up to the new draftees, + 2nd & 3rd year players to impress in the VFL side and push some of these guys out, they'll have plenty of opportunities to do that throughout the year.

I'll give it a go.

B: Corr Tarrant Ziebell
HB: Young McKay McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Taylor Zurharr Stephenson
F: Turner Larkey Anderson
IC: Atley, Xerri, Scott, Thomas

It's up to the new draftees, + 2nd & 3rd year players to impress in the VFL side and push some of these guys out, they'll have plenty of opportunities to do that throughout the year.

That's pretty bloody good. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back