Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plenty of good round 1 sides being tabled. Will be interesting to see if the selectors go for established positions or start rolling the dice early.

My contrarian approach would be to crystal ball the round 1 side for 2022 or even 2023 and then reverse engineer to select the 2021 first round side.

Regardless the positives in terms of exciting young talent, options across the team and a refreshed game approach far outweigh the short term pain in terms of losses. Roll on round 1.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Absolutely.

Jared doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd enjoy shlepping around in the 2's every week, so I'm backing him in to apply himself on the track. Provided he meets the baseline requirements (staying fit, adhering to game plan, etc), he's comfortably best 22 and a lock for the Round 1 side on talent. Jet footballer when on song/in form. (D'uh.)

the Ziebull's just playing out another one of his weird obsessions. Not sure why people bother responding. No amount of sanity or reason is going to change his views on Polecat, or stem the unrelenting tide of inane, thread-derailing, forum-spamming posts that this joint will have to endure until Jared finally departs Arden Street's sunny shores. What a time to be alive.

Can see Polec bouncing back hard. The coachs summation back in November to the question re Polec suggests he knows whats required to get him back on track.

I'll give it a go.

B: Corr Tarrant Ziebell
HB: Young McKay McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Taylor Zurharr Stephenson
F: Turner Larkey Anderson
R: Goldy LDU Simpkin
IC: Atley, Xerri, Scott, Thomas

It's up to the new draftees, + 2nd & 3rd year players to impress in the VFL side and push some of these guys out, they'll have plenty of opportunities to do that throughout the year.
I'd switch Thomas and Turner, but otherwise that's a good side.

Its a Process

All Australian
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll have a crack at this, fair to say my side has changed a little in the past two weeks with a few key injuries and a dew positional changes.
FB - L McDonald, A Corr, K Hayden
CHB - J Ziebs, R Tarrant, F Perez
C - J Polec, LDU, Jed Anderson
CHF - T Thomas, N Larley, Curtis T
FF - P Spicer, J Stephenson, Cam Z,
Foll - Goldy, Cunners, Jy
Bench - W Phillips, Garner, S Atley, B Scott

Emerg - J Walker, W Walker, L Young

I have left out Froggy as i am not sure how he is travelling with a limited pre-season, if he is fit he slots in on the wing and B Scott would probably be squeezed out.

I'll have a crack at this, fair to say my side has changed a little in the past two weeks with a few key injuries and a dew positional changes.

I have left out Froggy as i am not sure how he is travelling with a limited pre-season, if he is fit he slots in on the wing and B Scott would probably be squeezed out.
no way spicer comes close to playing this year with his body and think you are missing Mckay unless you are opting for a smaller defence

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Can see Polec bouncing back hard. The coachs summation back in November to the question re Polec suggests he knows whats required to get him back on track.

If he's allowed to play to his strengths then he can win games for us.

Last edited:

Its a Process

All Australian
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
no way spicer comes close to playing this year with his body and think you are missing Mckay unless you are opting for a smaller defence
I have opted for a smaller backline with Ziebs basically playing as the 3rd tall. The small/pressure forward role will be interesting considering we had zero last year and we now have 3 options. I think either Spicer or Atu will get first crack at it.

Footywizard

All Australian
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I like it. Get spicer straight in there baby.

Just a thought, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but if JZ is playing HB should we place Dumont on the wing for that defensive support, the downside being that particular side of the wing will be slower than the other.

Or

Have someone like Polec to run into the space and have Dumont on the other wing with a HB such as young/atley who will be running into space and Dumont covering.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Just a thought, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but if JZ is playing HB should we place Dumont on the wing for that defensive support, the downside being that particular side of the wing will be slower than the other.

Or

Have someone like Polec to run into the space and have Dumont on the other wing with a HB such as young/atley who will be running into space and Dumont covering.
Dumont's defensive wing role is more about structure and shape than helping the backline I think.

I don't think there's any coincidence that his move to the centre square coincided with our struggles and that our best performance post Rd 2 was when Will Walker filled a similar structural role.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Dumont's defensive wing role is more about structure and shape than helping the backline I think.

I don't think there's any coincidence that his move to the centre square coincided with our struggles and that our best performance post Rd 2 was when Will Walker filled a similar structural role.

It's also been about list limitations.

We have targeted wing types for some time now.

B: Corr, McKay, McDonald
HB: Hayden, Tarrant, Ziebell
C: Atley, Cunnington, Polec
HF: Thomas, J. Walker, Stephenson
F: Taylor, Larkey, Zurhaar
Foll: Goldstein, Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin
IC: Anderson, Scott, Perez, Garner

Emerg: Phillips, W. Walker, Xerri

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
like atley on the wing

for me its wing or vfl

no longer should he be picked in defence especially with ziebell likely down there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
like atley on the wing

for me its wing or vfl

no longer should he be picked in defence especially with ziebell likely down there
Think it an insult that Atley and Garner could be playing AFL round 1 both players are done at AFL level plus for the development of our club players like Phillips must play Round 1

Think it an insult that Atley and Garner could be playing AFL round 1 both players are done at AFL level plus for the development of our club players like Phillips must play Round 1
The match committee reckon its personally aimed at you too.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The match committee reckon its personally aimed at you too.
Maybe it could be but why carry blokes that have proven there simply not up to it and won’t get any better but could get worse.
Plus I rather kids that could produce something different if giving the chance but it’s supporters that wear rose coloured glasses thinking it will be all sweet and the older players will get better.
So it’s time people like you need to wake up and get with the times we haven’t been in a Grand Final for over 20 years we need start the development NOW not in Round 1 in 2022 after we give farewell tour seasons to the Atleys ,Garners,Turners,Hall ect ect.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Plus I rather kids that could produce something different if giving the chance but it’s supporters that wear rose

Hope.

Yes, you would rather buy a ticket in kidlotto.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope.

Yes, you would rather buy a ticket in kidlotto.
Well if it stops this club from bringing in 3 rd rate footballs from other clubs and putting them on massive long contracts well yes the future of this club is the youth and remember the last time this club made investment in youth a few of them were quite successful Carey,Longmire,Archer,Stevens and Mckernan if this club can get players like that we can see some more trophies in the cabinet at Arden St.
But would you rather see this club pick up some more Hall,Tyson,Pittard types!
Wake up Snake get with the times.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well if it stops this club from bringing in 3 rd rate footballs.........

Yeah, that's an accurate representation.

Wake up Snake get with the times.

If "the times" incorporates hope as a replacement for a poor understanding of the sport, then I'll give it a miss.

Your mindset is basically, I am dissatisfied, do anything to assauge my angst.

Kids bring hope of change so play all the kids you can find.

Then if that fails, do it again. It's a kid level understanding of the sport.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Giving this another crack based on what I think will happen...

FB - Tarrant - Mckay - McDonald
HB - Ziebell - Corr - Atley

C - Polec - Cunnington - Dumont
FOL - Goldstein - Davies-Uniacke - Simpkin

HF - Taylor - Xerri - Stephenson
FF - Mahoney - Larkey - Zurhaar

INT - Anderson - Phillips - Thomas - Hayden

EMG - J.Walker - Scott - Young

Reasoning:

- Two rucks as Noble has indicated
- Ziebell to play at least the first 5 games in defense to see if it works
- Combination of youth/experience means that some on here won't be happy, for example Atley playing ahead of Scott, however we still have 12 players 23 and under. Is this enough/too much to be blooding at once? I have NFI, and am interested to see if they go more..
- Perez, Bonar, Comben, Garner all under injury cloud
- I've gone with Mahoney ahead of Atu/Turner due to my personal bias - could easily replace him & Hayden with 1 of these two, however I think they'll play Phillips as a small forward at times

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Giving this another crack based on what I think will happen...

FB - Tarrant - Mckay - McDonald
HB - Ziebell - Corr - Atley

C - Polec - Cunnington - Dumont
FOL - Goldstein - Davies-Uniacke - Simpkin

HF - Taylor - Xerri - Stephenson
FF - Mahoney - Larkey - Zurhaar

INT - Anderson - Phillips - Thomas - Hayden

EMG - J.Walker - Scott - Young

Reasoning:

- Two rucks as Noble has indicated
- Ziebell to play at least the first 5 games in defense to see if it works
- Combination of youth/experience means that some on here won't be happy, for example Atley playing ahead of Scott, however we still have 12 players 23 and under. Is this enough/too much to be blooding at once? I have NFI, and am interested to see if they go more..
- Perez, Bonar, Comben, Garner all under injury cloud
- I've gone with Mahoney ahead of Atu/Turner due to my personal bias - could easily replace him & Hayden with 1 of these two, however I think they'll play Phillips as a small forward at times

If 18 of them aren't locks, I'll give it away.

I just reckon a few will get squeezed out for pace. The bench in particular is not that quick.

Back