Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumont not going to be ready for round 1?

hardly an issue. Dumont typifies our problem from the scott era, i.e. decent player who doesn't have standout traits, and when u get a team of those.....how the fook did we mangage to get to 2 PF is beyond my congnitive abilities.

Putting stephenson onball already demonstrates Noble's superior acuman as a strategist as he recognizes not what a player can to atm but where can one's strongest assets be the most beneficial. People grow into the role. You could put bill gates as a toilet cleaner but as a programmer, he is far more valuable, recognizing talent is another art altogether.

hardly an issue. Dumont typifies our problem from the scott era, i.e. decent player who doesn't have standout traits, and when u get a team of those.....how the fook did we mangage to get to 2 PF is beyond my congnitive abilities.

Just one in a very long list of things.

So one poster really doesn’t rate Dumont
Ok
My great big fat question mark is Turner
He has some pluses, mostly guts and he is q

Where was I...,,,,
Yes he is quick but lacks skills under pressure, exactly the opposite of some of our new blokes
Realistically Kayne is blocking Mahony, and he looks like he could actually kick a few

Spicer looks like the bolter to me.

Noble continually mentions injecting pace into the side and Turner and Mahoney don’t have it.

It’s also probably the weakest position in the side and the most up for grabs.

Also a position that is more about impact rather than possessions.

Stephenson and Corr are two guaranteed best 22 additions, and both of them have considerable wheels.

Pretty much loved everything I've seen from Spicer so far, but I have to admit I'm one of those that have reservations about his durability if he were to play Seniors right off the bat. Wait and see I guess, can't wait for these practise games so we have a better idea of what to expect!

Stephenson and Corr are two guaranteed best 22 additions, and both of them have considerable wheels.

Pretty much loved everything I've seen from Spicer so far, but I have to admit I'm one of those that have reservations about his durability if he were to play Seniors right off the bat. Wait and see I guess, can't wait for these practise games so we have a better idea of what to expect!
Is Curtis the forgotten man?

Is Curtis the forgotten man?
It feels a bit like it.

Was looking a real treat prior to injury last year, and then we got all these shiny new toys to play with too! Probably doesn't help that we have a glut of players with his approximate skill set, give or take.

Not exactly an old head either, he's only 20 with plenty of upside too just like a lot of other promising kids like Kyron, TT, Scott etc.

I throw the word 'fascinating' around a lot, but it really is an apt term when it comes to describing what the best 22 will look like early on this year, especially if we keep having relatively good luck with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defence is still a bit of a shambles in my opinion. Just don't see them being able to contain sides with three inside midfielders playing down there. I could cop one of them but with three the whole unit will be too slow and lack the agility to go with opposition small forwards.

The defence is still a bit of a shambles in my opinion. Just don't see them being able to contain sides with three inside midfielders playing down there. I could cop one of them but with three the whole unit will be too slow and lack the agility to go with opposition small forwards.

The problem has been systematic, it's not the personnel mate.

Don't think anyone here is going to dispute that...

The only one who could be exposed for pace is Ziebell. Hayden, McDonald, Corr, Atley (hopefully Perez in time) have plenty of toe.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The only one who could be exposed for pace is Ziebell. Hayden, McDonald, Corr, Atley (hopefully Perez in time) have plenty of toe.

It's easy, put him in position where pace won't be exposed, such as being the 'decoy' to be 'dragged' into the goal square against a slightly bigger opponent.

How does ziebell's pace and mobility compare to wright, pre-injury? Ziebell would be a good last line of defense type player with his desperation acts. Ziebell's style is excellent in close confines.

I disagree on Hayden and he isn't a defender anyway. Atley is not a good defender and Ziebs hasn't ever played there. It just looks poor imo

B: Hayden Corr Tarrant
HB: Young Zeibell McKay LMac
C: Polec Cunnington Perez Scott
HF: Garner Thomas Larkey Taylor
F: Stephenson Zeibell Xerri Zurhaar

R: Goldy LDU Simpkin

IC: Xerri, Young Phillips, Scott, Anderson, Thomas Ford

Emerg: Turner, Mahoney, Anderson Powell

Updated based on pre season reports.

I disagree on Hayden and he isn't a defender anyway. Atley is not a good defender and Ziebs hasn't ever played there. It just looks poor imo
The defence has strengths and weaknesses and I would rate it as a mid to lower ranking defence atm but with scope for improvement this year.

Strengths - BMc and Taz can hold the gorillas; Corr looks likely to be able to hold bigs and smalls. LMAc and Atley are experienced small defenders and Hayden provides dash. J Walker and Perez waiting for a game means we have depth back there as well. Not sure what JZ is adding in the back half - let's watch a couple of games first to see where this as at.

Weaknesses - No intercept marker in the Maj mould; no one has exceptional kicking skills and the overall skill level in the back half is poor; kicking out from behinds a real worry. In reality we have never replaced what Scotty T gave us back there - JZ may be trying to cover this but that appears a long shot at this stage.

No intercept marker in the Maj mould; no one has exceptional kicking skills and the overall skill level in the back half is poor; kicking out from behinds a real worry.

Robbie Tarrant has taken 725 marks in his 125 games as a dedicated defender. Do you think opposition midfielders were kicking the ball to him? He was 12th overall in the competition for disposal efficiency in 2020. He was 9th in 2019.

He is not just good, but ELITE in both categories.

Luke McDonald ranked 17th overall for effective disposals in 2020 and Luke & Robbie also ranked 4th & 5th respectively for defenders & meters gained in 2020.

You're a solid poster sbg, but boy did you just have your very own "clanger" with this post.

.......and while I am on this, Majak Daw is not fit to carry Tarrant's bags in any statistical football category, which is something I suspect Majak would admit himself.

.......and while I am on this, Majak Daw is not fit to carry Tarrant's bags in any statistical football category, which is something I suspect Majak would admit himself.
I know you weren't a fan of Daw's but he was clearly a superior intercept marker than Robbie (albeit for a short period of time). Robbie has always been an elite one on one defender (and far better than Maj at that of course) but for a season/season and a half Maj was an elite intercept mark - able to come off his man and use his leap to effective use.

If we are relying on LMAc to be our distributor from half back then that is the reason we will be ranked lowly in terms of the back half.

Intercept marking and ball use out fo the back half are our defensive weaknesses - they are the areas we need to be working on this year.

I know you weren't a fan of Daw's but he was clearly a superior intercept marker than Robbie (albeit for a short period of time). Robbie has always been an elite one on one defender (and far better than Maj at that of course) but for a season/season and a half Maj was an elite intercept mark - able to come off his man and use his leap to effective use.

If we are relying on LMAc to be our distributor from half back then that is the reason we will be ranked lowly in terms of the back half.

Intercept marking and ball use out fo the back half are our defensive weaknesses - they are the areas we need to be working on this year.

FFS mate, I can't believed that you actually doubled down on that.

Anyone that couldn't work out that Majak's purple patch had as much to do with Tazz & Thommo taking the opposition guns & sacrificing their own games in the process, is exhibiting the football variant of myopia.

Your cred has taken a hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back