Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS mate, I can't believed that you actually doubled down on that.

Anyone that couldn't work out that Majak's purple patch had as much to do with Tazz & Thommo taking the opposition guns & sacrificing their own games in the process, is exhibiting the football variant of myopia.

Your cred has taken a hit.
Of course there is a team aspect - it's silly to think otherwise - just as it's silly to ignore what Maj was bringing to the table back then.

Anyway the point remains we haven't replaced Maj and Thommo's skills in that area (I was a big proponent of drafting DGB for this reason) AND we haven't resolved the ball use issue.

Of course there is a team aspect - it's silly to think otherwise - just as it's silly to ignore what Maj was bringing to the table back then.

Anyway the point remains we haven't replaced Maj and Thommo's skills in that area (I was a big proponent of drafting DGB for this reason) AND we haven't resolved the ball use issue.

Why do you have this notion in your head that replicating Majak's cameo role is significant in the side becoming successful?

The period for this basically spans rounds 11-23 of 2018 when North won 6 from 12 including Brisbane x 2 (15th), the Bulldogs (13th), Gold Coast (17th), StKilda (16th) and West Coast in Tasmania.

If Taz was given license to play the 3rd tall Intercept Marking role with two AA quality KPD's around him, he'd be far more capable then Daw was.

Cannot believe that a guy that was delisted with 1 decent year in 10, is being compared to a club champion and one of the best KPD's we've had in the last 20 years.

We all know how good Robbie is - not one is disputing that and no one is comparing Maj to Robbie in terms of longevity or as overall player and leader - he doesn't even come close as you say.

However the original point was we have a number of areas we need to improve on as a team - tall backs matching up in gorillas is not one of those areas!

I am looking forward to the combination of BMac and Taz putting Charlie Dixon on his arse in 4 weeks time!

Corr may well be the key here to give us some overall improvement in the back half and the JZ experiment still has to play out.

We will have a better idea in 8 weeks time as to how the defence is shaping up.

If Taz was given license to play the 3rd tall Intercept Marking role with two AA quality KPD's around him, he'd be far more capable then Daw was.

That's just a fact.

Take nothing away from Majak though as his purple patch was high quality footy.

Cannot believe that a guy that was delisted with 1 decent year in 10, is being compared to a club champion and one of the best KPD's we've had in the last 20 years.

There's a lot of romance around the Majak Daw story and unfortunately it crosses the line where footy & fact meet.

He's a great story and I hope he kicks much arse in his post AFL footy life.

I’ve had a bit more of a think about what Noble’s approach will be for Round 1. I suspect he’ll be patient with the kids - esp the ones who missed the U18 year last year. I’m also confident the team at the end of the year will be quite different to our round 1 team.

B: Corr McKay McDonald
HB: Ziebell Tarrant Atley
C: Polec Cunnington Hall
HF: Anderson Larkey Stephenson
F: Thomas Zurhaar Turner
R: Goldstein LDU Simpkin
I: Young Scott Taylor Dumont
E: Mahony Hayden Xerri

Whilst it might appear conservative consider:
-Ziebell in the back half, Cunners and Turner are basically new recruits from last year.
-Corr, Stevo and Young are new recruits.
So the side is very different from last year. Experience in the back half and through the middle, and pressure in the front half.
Would love at least 1 extra tall forward but from Nobles comments I’m not convinced one has put their hand up as best 22 yet.
Expect Perez, Powell and Phillips to be best 22 by years end. Atley, Hall and Dumont in the gun.

I’ve had a bit more of a think about what Noble’s approach will be for Round 1. I suspect he’ll be patient with the kids - esp the ones who missed the U18 year last year. I’m also confident the team at the end of the year will be quite different to our round 1 team.

-Ziebell in the back half, Cunners and Turner are basically new recruits from last year.
So the side is very different from last year. Experience in the back half and through the middle, and pressure in the front half.
Would love at least 1 extra tall forward but from Nobles comments I’m not convinced one has put their hand up as best 22 yet.
Expect Perez, Powell and Phillips to be best 22 by years end. Atley, Hall and Dumont in the gun.

Would that be the oldest defence a developing (rebuilding) team has ever put on the park?

What’s the future of that defence? Even if it does hold up outside of McKay and McDonald, the shelf life is pretty short.

I personally hope we are looking at 2023 and 2024 with our defence and experience the growing pain now, rather than put it off another 2 years.

Looks pretty close to the mark for mine. From the footage I've seen it looks to me that they are using Zurhaar a lot as the lead up linking role. Almost a CHF really - interesting to see whether his running power is up to the task in season proper games. Edit: Worth pointing out that Dumont sounds like he's quite a bit behind this year due to injury and I reckon Young, while brought in for a reason is competing for a spot in what is now a reasonably tight backline with Ziebell back there and Corr in to support a decent Tarrant led core.

Last edited:
Completely agree and thats why I meantioned the side toward the end of the year team will be quite different, maybe look something like this

B: Corr McKay Perez
HB: Young Tarrant Menadue
C: Stephenson LDU Scott
HF: Anderson Larkey Taylor
R: Goldstein McDonald Simkin
I: Phillips Powell Mahony Xerri

Assuming Cunners and Ziebull will be injured by then and McDonald to resume the run with roll on the best opposition Mid.
Laugh at Mendue selection but I think he'll be getting a go late to see if he's worth another year. Also fits into the pace ethos Noble wants.

It is, but I’m big on age demographic of the team.

I frankly don’t understand these Dads Army defences, not that it isn’t the best team, but what tangible benefit we derive in playing it.

Did you check out the defences in last years grand final?

I can only assume that you're one of these folks that thinks we are 10% in to a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is, but I’m big on age demographic of the team.

I frankly don’t understand these Dads Army defences, not that it isn’t the best team, but what tangible benefit we derive in playing it.
Copping floggings every week by playing youth for the sake of youth does very little for development, if not actively harms it.

With unavoidable young forward and midfield group, playing an experienced defence makes sense. It gives us a solid base to fall back on and ensures that any blowouts that we might experience as we develop aren't too damaging.

Did you check out the defences in last years grand final?

I can only assume that you're one of these folks that thinks we are 10% in to a rebuild.

I think that figure is closer to 30% than 10%, but it is gathering speed. Comben and Perez are IMO the two most important players on our list this year (I know you will scoff at that, but their development is at the Top of the Charts in terms of our overall rebuild).

Last time we did this properly, we had Carey, McKernan and Longmire. I accept our midfield this time round has class on it's side, but the defence and the KPFs are still well below what I would consider "premiership quality".

Re: Richmond, I've always rated Grimes above Rance and distribution off half back and they have that in spades. They are also drilled not to make half the mindless mistakes our defence makes. Hopefully Corr helps this and we stop leaking easy goals to Small Forwards, but that would be a hopecast rather than relying on anything concrete seen this preseason.

This is precisely why I want to see Thomas played off HB. Thomas, Perez and McDonald alongside Corr, McKay and Tarrant is sustainable, gives us a platform to build from for some time (5-6 years, 2-3 without Taz of course).

Copping floggings every week by playing youth for the sake of youth does very little for development, if not actively harms it.

With unavoidable young forward and midfield group, playing an experienced defence makes sense. It gives us a solid base to fall back on and ensures that any blowouts that we might experience as we develop aren't too damaging.
The midfield is not young when you factor in Goldie, Cunners, Dumont and Polec are 4 of the starting 6 (assume all fit to go) with Hall also in the mix.

But yes the forward line is where we will be very raw - probably the youngest since the early 90's Carey/Longmire days

Potential starting forward 6 of

Curtis Larkey Scott
Zurhaar Stevo TT

This is probably why Tom C is in the mix - to provide some protection down there.

I think that figure is closer to 30% than 10%, but it is gathering speed. Comben and Perez are IMO the two most important players on our list this year (I know you will scoff at that, but their development is at the Top of the Charts in terms of our overall rebuild).

Last time we did this properly, we had Carey, McKernan and Longmire. I accept our midfield this time round has class on it's side, but the defence and the KPFs are still well below what I would consider "premiership quality".

Re: Richmond, I've always rated Grimes above Rance and distribution off half back and they have that in spades. They are also drilled not to make half the mindless mistakes our defence makes. Hopefully Corr helps this and we stop leaking easy goals to Small Forwards, but that would be a hopecast rather than relying on anything concrete seen this preseason.

This is precisely why I want to see Thomas played off HB. Thomas, Perez and McDonald alongside Corr, McKay and Tarrant is sustainable, gives us a platform to build from for some time (5-6 years, 2-3 without Taz of course).
If comben and Perez are the two most important players on our list we are in strife. Both speculative and injury prone.

TT has skills, but is he a Goalkicker?
Maybe he will be like Wells, not getting hold of the scoreboard in any significant fashion
Could see Curtis and Cam kicking multiples in a game, Scott also.... maybe Turner if he can avoid injury but Ando has no real form as a goalkicker Stephenson will have to be played out of the goalsquare I’m thinking

1614051544918.gif

TT has skills, but is he a Goalkicker?
Maybe he will be like Wells, not getting hold of the scoreboard in any significant fashion
Could see Curtis and Cam kicking multiples in a game, Scott also.... maybe Turner if he can avoid injury but Ando has no real form as a goalkicker Stephenson will have to be played out of the goalsquare I’m thinking

TT is a pretty proven goalkicker at junior level from what I understand - and junior level in his case is basically state level senior footy.

good side

The midfield is not young when you factor in Goldie, Cunners, Dumont and Polec are 4 of the starting 6 (assume all fit to go) with Hall also in the mix.

But yes the forward line is where we will be very raw - probably the youngest since the early 90's Carey/Longmire days

Potential starting forward 6 of

Curtis Larkey Scott
Zurhaar Stevo TT

This is probably why Tom C is in the mix - to provide some protection down there.
Think this is far too skinny
They are 5/6 twigs
Will probably have to play Turner to get some Shinboner on the park

You’re right.

Insert Peak Schwass, Archer, Byron, Kingy, Winston, Duck and McKernan and we’d be a real good chance.

We're not in the 90's now.

Have you seen the last 10 premiership sides?

FFS, Jason Johannisen has a Norm Smith Medal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back