Review Round 1, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had 3 less inside 50s. We have kicked a decent score but Hippy and Charlie clearly below their best

That's seriously surprising to read. My fingers would be pointed at the midfield predominantly tonight, but we we were awful across the ground. Only players I'd give a pass would be Linc and Bailey.

By contrast, Sydney have gone forward with great purpose and precision.

A large part of our issues have been not respecting them enough to go man on man throughout the game. That's left free men on the rebound when we've been assuming there wouldn't be a rebound. It's not quite as embarrassing as last year's GWS v Sydney, but it's made for similar watching.

and the misery frenzy begins.

who can be first for the i told you so's and the we're completely s**t, and fages has got to go...

a dissapointing match. a lot of under-effort across the board.

Bailey and Linc and possibly Lyons? the best I guess.

if there was a time to get a bad loss out it was now. regroup and reconsider. :)

the bad defensive running for me wasn't the worst, it was the complete ease in which they took marks in our d50. (I know that is because of the lack of midfield pressure, and our defenders can only do so much.. but man seeing they get those easy marks again and again.)

THE POSITIVES (emphasised so its not all doom and gloom in here..)

Bailey turning it on at the start.
Daniher getting through a WHOLE match :)
Not horrible misses by some of our midfield like last year.
footy is back!

Got the rust off tonight and got taught a lesson about pressure by some primed kids who probably won't repeat that sort of performance again all season. Shorter pre-season very obvious compared to the Swans longer pre-season as well.

Game thread was a joke, we'll be fine. Onto the next one.

He has his fans but I honestly have no idea what Ah Chee offers.

He's better on a wing than letting him into the defensive 50, and tonight didn't change my mind.

Zorko’s lucky he’s captain. Otherwise have a spell.

Nah. Zorko cracked in. Undisciplined, sure, but I'd take undisciplined and having an impact on the game to not even having an impact on the game - the latter might as well be playing in the seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They just picked us apart. Really don't know who was any good tonight. Bailey for patches, Danniher for patches. Andrews didn't have a great night, didn't have ay pressure from up the field but down by his standards. Sharp had an alright debut match, got involved but probably think we can get E.Smith in there. On another note, seriously don't know why Zorko is captain, didn't look like he was taking the ball by the horns and trying to will his team over the line, I reckon he would be one of the more disliked captains in the league. Cameron was missing, although plenty were. Still waiting for Berry to breakout.... Ah too many players that had poor games.
Bailey looked great tho :)

The boys look really gutted about the loss (watching one of our leaders pissing himself laughing for a Swans player). :rolleyes:

Good to see them hurting.

Yep, at least it's acknowledged. That is not acceptable.

Robbo done? Thought he could be best 22 for at least a year more but think he's hit the wall.
Birchall is done too.

A lot of people around these parts were calling for him to hang up the boots and he played on a year too long (it could be argued he's now played two years too long).

We'll forget about this game pretty soon

Fagan and the club clearly want to build towards September however they've clearly not handled today's game well

Neale well below his best. Second string midfield very poor.

Zorko and Neale were good apart from defensive efforts and frees. Bailey a few good moments

Though Rich was ok but all the backs struggled

Daniher clearly adds a lot. Linc was good

Their skill and run exposed our lack of defensive run which is nothing new but their skills were phenomenal

Robbo has to pay the price for one season and one game of horrible footy.

Must be better options than Sharp

Would like to add Gardiner or Adams mongrel and competitiveness to the backline.

As suspected Oscar is at least a level below the top rucks.

Out: Robbo, Sharp, Birchall or Lester
In: 2 of Smith, Robertson or Mathison and one of Adams or Gardiner

Back