Preview Round 1, 2021: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st March, 3:20PM AEDT *HIGHMORE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 67.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
On the plus side, unless Toby Greene has a blinder, I can't see the Giants kicking a score. They will have to defend really well to keep Saints from scoring. Our forward line looks like it will not need a heap of opportunities to kick a big score.

On the minus side, our mids without Crouch and Jones look outclassed against GWS mids and I didn't like the look of our defensive structure in the praccy against Carlton.

For me, if we can keep Green quiet, we win. Our mids should get it forward enough for us to kick a winning score.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Team I'd pick:

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Sinclair
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Higgins, Battle, Butler
F: Lonie, King, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Clark
Int: Bytel, Highmore, McKernan, Ross

Team I'm predicting we'll see:

B: Webster, Howard, Highmore
HB: Coffield, Wilkie, Sinclair
HF: Higgins, McKernan, Butler

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Ross
Int: Battle, Clark, Jones, Long

(Out: Bytel, Carlisle. In: Jones, Long)

Really hoping we don't go in with only one genuine tall defender but Carlisle seems to be severely on the outer. Also want to see Jones get a good run in the reserves to build his match fitness before being thrown into senior games with the longer quarters.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Whateley mentioned how many games we play at Marvel up to the bye.

Not so fun fact, this season we play every interstate club away, except Freo who we only play once in the final round of the year! We even play Geelong in Geelong. Don't let the media make you believe we have been given any favours!

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Team I'd pick:

Really hoping we don't go in with only one genuine tall defender but Carlisle seems to be severely on the outer. Also want to see Jones get a good run in the reserves to build his match fitness before being thrown into senior games with the longer quarters.
%100 on your preferred team, Bytel and Jake all the way.
It's a big ask with a mids group of Steele, Ross, Hunts, Gresh and Bytel, but l think they're ready for the challenge and slowly slowly with Jonesy.
I'd think Highmore Vs Long will come down to match ups, but it's a nice choice to have. I'm all for Longy to earn his spot this year, play time is over.

And our forward line is gonna give most oppo friggn nightmares this year.

The thought of being able to add Marshall, Jones and Crouch to that squad is the stuff of dreams.
We've at last entered the goldilocks zone where each week good players have to miss out and poor form gets you dropped.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Team I'd pick:

Thats my worry - that we will leave Carlisle and play an undersized defence despite us playing better with 2 genuine key backs, and we end up losing because we dont have a genuine match-up for the GWS talls.

I think it will be a huge mistake if we don't pick Carlisle rd1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't like the idea of going into this game with one key defender.

They have Riccardi, Himmleberg and Finlayson as key forwards.

It was a mistake not playing a 2nd key defender last year against the Eagles and we looked much better the following fortnight with the 2nd defender.
Don't forget Jack Buckley, who they may also play. 23 yrs old, 194cm from their academy who took 8 marks and kicked a couple of goals on the weekend

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Snags to kick a bag on debut.
Bookmark it.

I have bookmarked it because, well, who would go against

Jay 'the number of the' Beast :D

1615332750964.png

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm definitely in the camp that we need two big key defenders against GWS to match their talls, and reckon we play better with that structure anyway. I'm also a big Jake fan so hope he gets the nod.

But I am worried that Darragh Joyce will play... I'm not a big fan of the work he's put in. Believe he's been name emergency last couple times, and I think Ratts mentioned him as a possibility in an interview..

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
HB: Coffield, Battle, Sinclair
HF: Higgins, Wood, Butler

Int: Bytel, Jones, McKernan, Ross

A bit undersized but then Wilkie and Battle can play a bit taller than their actual height.

Not sure what Snake did to get on the outer but it must be significant given he hasn't featured pre-season at all. I'm in favour of putting Wood in there and challenging him to try and hold onto a spot.

Edit: I would _like_ to see Jake play but am just baffled at why he apparently is way down the pecking order.

ULTIMATE_WARRIOR

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2009
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s very likely possible that the coaches just seen Frawley ahead at this stage of the preseason. By all reports he was in ripping nick prior to the hammy. Jake has the history with the back, so no idea if he was hitting the markers required. They most likely assumed it was better to feed AFL minutes into Highmore as I believe Ratten stated the other day.
Either way I’d be really surprised if Jake is not named for Sunday week.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s very likely possible that the coaches just seen Frawley ahead at this stage of the preseason. By all reports he was in ripping nick prior to the hammy. Jake has the history with the back, so no idea if he was hitting the markers required. They most likely assumed it was better to feed AFL minutes into Highmore as I believe Ratten stated the other day.
Either way I’d be really surprised if Jake is not named for Sunday week.
For mine it comes down to one simple thing in that we are a better unit with him on the field.

The club has elected to re-sign him on a 1+1, and that should be the end of any differences over his "attitude".

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
For mine it comes down to one simple thing in that we are a better unit with him on the field.

The club has elected to re-sign him on a 1+1, and that should be the end of any differences over his "attitude".

We need to play our best team each week, and that team includes Jake Carlisle. We would have beaten Melbourne late last year with him in the team, and going into the West Coast game without him was effectively giving up on winning the game.
Ratten needs to swallow his pride and select Carlisle if he’s fit.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unavailable: Crouch, Hannebury, Geary, Marshall, Frawley, Byrnes, Paton.

Touch and go: Jones.

Training today .

Jones trained fully did everything including match simulation moved well.

Byrnes , Membrey , Billing’s , King all on light duties ...nothing to worry about though.

They had 3 academy boys training with main group a great experience for the lads.

Pretty light session overall ..big one Friday .

Interesting news was that Allison has put 6-7 kilos ...Mckernan was in good touch today thought
they may go Hunter .....maybe not.

Pretty unsure which way they go...Highmore or Carlisle.

More I see Crouch the better shape he is getting in by the way.
Hannebery did weight session, but clear the mission is few rounds in...

Frawley back running which is interesting given prognosis 10 weeks.. anyway over and out.

ps....Those Black training tops are just sensational ..best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back