Preview Round 1, 2021: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st March, 3:20PM AEDT

Who wins ?

• Giants

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
So excited for Bruhn, I hope he gets more midfield time than he did in the AAMI series as the season goes on, his class and composure is going to be VERY important for us going forward

I hope his young body is mature enough to handle it and he's eased in over a period of time. Our track record with injuries is not good at all.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

if that’s his “dream come true over the moon” face, then I retract everything I said on draft night.

I think “stoic” is a word that could be used. he doesn’t show a lot of emotion does he. gets it from his mum by the sound of it, dad was pretty emotional but mum started out with “that’s nice dear” - contrast to Matty Flynn’s mum who screamed in the middle of class. I think it hit her by the end but I wouldn’t want to be playing poker against the Bruhn family 🤣

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
When was the last time we played a draftee for 22 rounds in their first year?
Devon Smith played 20, Lachie Whitfield and Toby Greene both played 19 in their first year. Josh Kelly & Tom Bugg 18. Jezza 16 : that’s the most by any first year player at the giants.

but remember Toby copped a 1 week ban so might have also played 20.

so the answer is a) never and b) not even close in recent years.

Last edited:
Devon Smith played 20, Lachie Whitfield and Toby Greene both played 19 in their first year. Josh Kelly & Tom Bugg 18. Jezza 16 : that’s the most by any first year player at the giants.

I knew the latter but I would've been sure someone made it back in years 1 or 2, so there you go.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
So excited for Bruhn, I hope he gets more midfield time than he did in the AAMI series as the season goes on, his class and composure is going to be VERY important for us going forward

Just watched his interview about being selected haha. Shows his draft night reaction was the truth. The kid just has a poker face :)

Let’s see what happens when he kicks a goal on debut, then he will be pumped. I have he feeling he may get a couple

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

I had this saved up as the punch line and you jumped in and stole my thunder!

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Cumming Davis Haynes
Ash Taylor Reid
Perryman Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Hill Finlayson Daniels
Flynn Hopper Green

Idun Bruhn Ward DeBoer

If Daniels isn’t fit, then XOH.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
We’re not gunna go too well this year. The new rule has opened the game up - with less stoppages. We are a stoppage team.
Leon could by gone by round 7.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We’re not gunna go too well this year. The new rule has opened the game up - with less stoppages. We are a stoppage team.

I think it’s the opposite to this.
We have played a high uncontested mark game for a while so it’s not a new game style however it will make it easier for us to move the ball with the new man on the mark rule which is where we struggled.

Stoppage clearances are even more important than previously because it can give you clean ball on the outside where you can then retain possession.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think it’s the opposite to this.
We have played a high uncontested mark game for a while so it’s not a new game style however it will make it easier for us to move the ball with the new man on the mark rule which is where we struggled.

Stoppage clearances are even more important than previously because it can give you clean ball on the outside where you can then retain possession.

I agree the rule changes, including less rotations and reverting to longer game time, should - in theory - suit us.

If we play finals in 2021, this will have been a key factor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

I fear your final sentence may be true.

However, for me it’s the same old story of key player injuries.

Can any team that is a targeting a top 5-8 finish get there when missing two key forwards, #1 ruck and #1 player/ball user?

If that proves too pessimistic, then Leon will have proven he is the right man to continue to drive the club forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Phil Davis talks about the new rule change and his opinion on how it will affect the game and how we play. Starts from 26 mins in.

Wonder what the rules over it are?

Should be if you are subbed you are out the next week and your sub has to be under 21?

Only if it's a concussion will the player be ruled out for 12 days

If it's a non-concussion injury then they will be free to play if they are fit

As a result, team selection will look a little different in 2021.

Clubs will name a 'normal' squad of 22 players and four emergencies the evening before the game, but they won't have to name the 23rd 'medical substitute' player until final teams are confirmed an hour before the first bounce.

The new rule will only apply at AFL senior level – not in any state league or elite junior competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back