Game Day Round 1, 2021 GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st March, 3:20PM AEDT

I sat there wondering if any of the off-season departees would have made a difference to the result.

Probably not. I think we missed Whitfield, Riccardi and Daniels more than anyone who left.
Jezza would've straightened us up a bit and probably would've worked... unless you consider his hamstring strain preventing him from being out there anyway.

I did consider Corr while we were at the game but discarded it - I don't think he would've been materially better than Taylor or Davis, both looking quite rusty. Williams maybe, because I really didn't rate Cumming's game, but I don't know that he's adding two goals to the team.

First time sitting near the cheer squad, old mate with the stick smashing the metal plate is louuuud. Anyone know how many sticks he goes through per year? The way he absolutely belts it I'm sure its at least a few.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
The Saints were finishing better, but that free kick to Butler late in the match..................is the reason my interest in this sport is waning.
Did you actually watch the whole game? With the free kick disparity in the giants favour that’s going to put you off the game?

Seriously snake I thought you were a pretty fair guy, I guess I’m going to need to revise my opinion. I know you must be disappointed and misery loves company but turn it up gws had an armchair ride from the first bounce 30 free kicks to 14.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Saints were finishing better, but that free kick to Butler late in the match..................is the reason my interest in this sport is waning.
The feeling of a bad penalty against is certainly frustrating, but we had a couple of fortuitous penalties for us (or not called against us), so I can't put the loss down to that. Our own errors decided that game for mine.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Did you actually watch the whole game? With the free kick disparity in the giants favour that’s going to put you off the game?

Seriously snake I thought you were a pretty fair guy, I guess I’m going to need to revise my opinion. I know you must be disappointed and misery loves company but turn it up gws had an armchair ride from the first bounce 30 free kicks to 14.

Bullshit. Enjoy the win but take that ridiculousness to your own board.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So GWS didn't get 30 frees to Saints 14?

ok
seriously, you won, don’t be dogs supporters.

yes we handily won the free kick count - memorable for its rarity - even at home.

but always a few paid that shouldn’t, and not paid that should - to both sides.

I will say you got a couple of dodgy ones close to goal and you made us pay with them.
we got a couple and didn’t and that’s the difference

umpiring clearly didn’t decide the win.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
#LeonOut

We have learned nothing

A devastating R1 home loss yesterday, with shades of R2 vs North in 2020.

I truly wish Leon were the Coach to take us forward over the the next two seasons and beyond, but I just cannot see it as of today.

I’m just not convinced that our playing group is playing at/near its full potential.

From a list stability and club morale perspective, I truly fear for our wellbeing if we are out of finals contention before the bye.

I don’t want us to be left ‘up the Amazon without a proverbial paddle’.

I believe the club should make a call on the Coach’s role early in the season.

For me the yardstick is we need to be at least 3 and 3 after R6. And R6 itself vs Dogs at Manuka has the potential to be very, very ugly.

In my opinion the most logical ‘circuit breaker’ would be to elevate Stevie J to interim Head Coach (ahead of R7) for the remainder of 2021.

I believe it’s inevitable that Stevie J will become a Head Coach somewhere in the years ahead, so why not give ourselves first look at what he may be able to do?

If we miss the 8 this year but have successfully made a generational coaching transition and created hope for 2022 that would be a workable result.

Feel free to rip this thinking apart, but it’s offered with sincerity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

I truly wish Leon were the Coach to take us forward over the the next two seasons and beyond, but I just cannot see it as of today.

I’m just not convinced that our playing group is playing at/near its full potential.

From a list stability and club morale perspective, I truly fear for our wellbeing if we are out of finals contention before the bye.

For me the yardstick is we need to be at least 3 and 3 after R6. And R6 itself vs Dogs at Manuka has the potential to be very, very ugly.

In my opinion the most logical ‘circuit breaker’ would be to elevate Stevie J to interim Head Coach (ahead of R7) for the remainder of 2021.

I believe it’s inevitable that Stevie J will become a Head Coach somewhere in the years ahead, so why not give ourselves first look at what he may be able to do?

If we miss the 8 this year but have successfully made a generational coaching transition and created hope for 2022 that would be a workable result.

Can the same “team” that reappointed Leon be relied on to make the call on when his time is up and who should replace him?
To me there’s bigger problems for the Giants than Leon.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Can the same “team” that reappointed Leon be relied on to make the call on when his time is up and who should replace him?
To me there’s bigger problems for the Giants than Leon.

Our aim and confidence are both shot.

1 of those can be fixed with a new boss.

We need Whitfield, Hogan, Daniels all to return ASAP.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Stevie J might one day be a great head coach but he has the least amount of experience on our current coaching team. All you know about him is what was reported in the media - that he has a good footy brain etc etc

he has done nothing if note to suggest he could take the next step

To suggest he is the answer is clutching at straws

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Stevie J might one day be a great head coach but he has the least amount of experience on our current coaching team. All you know about him is what was reported in the media - that he has a good footy brain etc etc

he has done nothing if note to suggest he could take the next step

To suggest he is the answer is clutching at straws

That’s an understandable opinion.

For me though, the case for Stevie J is:

1. He has the respect of the playing group as a legendary player.

2. He has the respect of the playing group for having pulled on the boots for our club and made a sizeable contribution.

3. He’s relocated his young family to Sydney approx 5 years ago, so has demonstrated a personal commitment to our city.

4. He knows first hand what a premiership team looks like.

5. It may be easier to bring new players to Sydney, and retain the existing list, if he’s making the pitch.

6. Finances are tight, and the lowest cost option is to make an internal appointment.

7. He’d get more respect from the AFL media than anyone else at the club.

8. He’s done a fundraising function for my family’s junior Sydney club, showing he is willing to reach out to the NSW grassroots.

9. From a corporate/coterie/membership perspective, he’s a very engaging speaker who is a big name in the game.

10. He’s a proven winner, and confidence is a commodity in very short supply at the club.

11. New coach ‘bump’. If Stevie J’s first game had been on Sunday vs Saints, I think we may have got across the line due to players wanting to prove a point to the new coach.

12. Let’s have the club self-belief to appoint one of our own players as Head Coach.

13. Has a deep knowledge of the Cats, Swans and Giants - all teams that pride themselves on being regular top 8 contenders.

14. It would only be as interim HC until the the end of 2021. If it works, it will be genius, lauded across the comp and we can sign him on a new deal. If it fails, find a “safer” coach in the off season

Bottom line - happy to have my opinion ripped apart, but I think Stevie J may present us a unique opportunity.

I think we need to have the confidence to take a calculated risk to move our club forward.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder

2. He has the respect of the playing group for having pulled on the boots for our club and made a sizeable contribution.

3. He’s relocated his young family to Sydney approx 5 years ago, so has demonstrated a personal commitment to our city.

5. It may be easier to bring new players to Sydney, and retain the existing list, if he’s making the pitch.

6. Finances are tight, and the lowest cost option is to make an internal appointment.

8. He’s done a fundraising function for my family’s junior Sydney club, showing he is willing to reach out to the NSW grassroots.

9. From a corporate/coterie/membership perspective, he’s a very engaging speaker who is a big name in the game.

10. He’s a proven winner, and confidence is a commodity in very short supply at the club.

11. New coach ‘bump’. If Stevie J’s first game had been on Sunday vs Saints, I think we may have got across the line due to players wanting to prove a point to the new coach.

12. Let’s have the club self-belief to appoint one of our own players as Head Coach.

13. Has a deep knowledge of the Cats, Swans and Giants - all teams that pride themselves on being regular top 8 contenders.

14. It would only be as interim HC until the the end of 2021. If it works, it will be genius, lauded across the comp and we can sign him on a new deal. If it fails, find a “safer” coach in the off season

Bottom line - happy to have my opinion ripped apart, but I think Stevie J may present us a unique opportunity.

I think we need to have the confidence to take a calculated risk to move our club forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com
inning GFs would also be invaluable.

We're in a new era.

There's been a sense of expectation around this club since inception. That we had what it took to go all the way. It was a question of "when" not "if".

That has now all gone. It is not just departing players taking corporate memory with them. Last year was the end of it. We saw it die on the field.

We have to start building it again from scratch. The question is whether Leon can.

I think Stevie J. just might.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Mate go and look at the swans board when he left. They all say the same old “good footy brain” stuff but nobody was screaming out demanding they keep him. They were happy to let him go. Certainly their forward line wasn’t the industry standard in 2020.

I’m not saying he cant be good. But the head coach has so many diverse strings to his bow, he has not had time to develop all of them.
In your desperation to get rid of Leon you just chose the latest popular name to walk into the club and seemed to have planted your flag in the sand on this one

from my perspective we clearly need to change from 2020. I’m keen to see how we are at the bye before passing judgement on Leon. We definitely moved the ball betterout of our half and look to be faster when making decisions. But at thesame time we were still badly hurt in transition again so who’s to know. The sample size is only one game

I’m Leon out as much as the next guy with my frustrations over the years.

But

We played in basically ridiculous weather on a ground that was belted by rain leading up and still had much more flow to it than 90% of last season. Even when it was dry.

I’m willing to see how we are travelling at the bye.
I feel like I've somehow hacked your account and posted my thoughts. :O

We had a heap of outs (both departures and injuries) and still took a team who flogged us last year to the last minutes. That game shouldn't be a tipping point one way or another, it was basically a push.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I feel like I've somehow hacked your account and posted my thoughts. :O

We had a heap of outs (both departures and injuries) and still took a team who flogged us last year to the last minutes. That game shouldn't be a tipping point one way or another, it was basically a push.

Haha wait I didn’t write that. I’ve been hacked!

There is a lot to like from yesterday.

Kelly really needs to step up though. It’s beyond time.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Mate go and look at the swans board when he left. They all say the same old “good footy brain” stuff but nobody was screaming out demanding they keep him. They were happy to let him go. Certainly their forward line wasn’t the industry standard in 2020.

I’m not saying he cant be good. But the head coach has so many diverse strings to his bow, he has not had time to develop all of them.
In your desperation to get rid of Leon you just chose the latest popular name to walk into the club and seemed to have planted your flag in the sand on this one

from my perspective we clearly need to change from 2020. I’m keen to see how we are at the bye before passing judgement on Leon. We definitely moved the ball betterout of our half and look to be faster when making decisions. But at thesame time we were still badly hurt in transition again so who’s to know. The sample size is only one game

Just get Clarkson and be done with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back