Game Day Round 1, 2021: GWS v St.Kilda *HIGHMORE DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
rVNPWS3.png

Would be a memorable win with 9 of our best 22 out.

Interested to see how the weather holds up. Maybe it will favour our small brigade.

Excited is an understatement! Go Saints :thumbsu:

Honestly can't predict this one. Feeling pessimistic with so many key personnel out, but if any team is equipped to spread the load rather than rely on one or two stars, it's the Saints.

It's going to be tough for the players getting used to used to an opposition stadium full of booing fans again, but it's least it's Giants supporters, they'll both be quite feral but not like taking on an SA team in Adelaide.

I think it'll be close, and think we'll win but think it's more wishful thinking than careful analysis.

In any case will be great to see how the new guys + Webster play in this team.

Go Saints!

Welcome to a new season gents.

I can tell you up here it hasn't stopped pissing down for about three days. Overnight it looks to have continued non-stop.

All the racing and A League games were cancelled yesterday. A lot of flooded roads, so getting out to the game will be interesting.

If anyone remembers a game against the Swans up here around 2006ish where the SCG was like a swimming pool and all we did all night was hack it forward and had a famous win -- it'll be the same conditions, but with even less shelter for spectators.

Can't over emphasise how much rain we've had the last few days. I think we'll be on, but wouldn't be totally shocked either if it was postponed if there's more road flooding in Western Sydney this morning.

I just can't fathom why GWS are favourites. Yes we're missing a lot of our best 22, but we pulled their pants down in round 18 and the whole crowd laughed at their Spiderman jocks. Jeremy Cameron is a bigger loss than Max King, and Williams and Whitfield were some of the giants most important ball handlers. Saints by 35 with Highmore and Coff to have 10 intercepts each.

Welcome to a new season gents.

I can tell you up here it hasn't stopped pissing down for about three days. Overnight it looks to have continued non-stop.

All the racing and A League games were cancelled yesterday. A lot of flooded roads, so getting out to the game will be interesting.

If anyone remembers a game against the Swans up here around 2006ish where the SCG was like a swimming pool and all we did all night was hack it forward and had a famous win -- it'll be the same conditions, but with even less shelter for spectators.

Can't over emphasise how much rain we've had the last few days. I think we'll be on, but wouldn't be totally shocked either if it was postponed if there's more road flooding in Western Sydney this morning.
I’m wondering if I will be able to get there from the blue mountains as well.

I’m lucky enough to be in Sydney and have tickets for today’s game. I’m pumped, but honestly, the amount of rain we’ve had here since I arrived yesterday has been incredible. And it’s still thumping down right now. This might be an old fashioned slog.

Who do we think might shine in the wet? My money is on Sincs, Higgins and Webster to have big games.

Even with our outs, I still think we are fielding a strong team today. Our midfield is good enough to match anyone and our forward line is one of the most potent going around. Just need to break even in the ruck and down back. Slightly concerned about how we will handle the wet conditions and how we go if it turns into a contested, slog. But still confident in the team we are fielding.

Saints by 24.

Bytel with 20 contested possessions and 8 tackles.
Long to take a Mark of the Year contender despite the rain.
Mason Wood to kick 4 goals but still get dropped for King next week.

I’m lucky enough to be in Sydney and have tickets for today’s game. I’m pumped, but honestly, the amount of rain we’ve had here since I arrived yesterday has been incredible. And it’s still thumping down right now. This might be an old fashioned slog.

Who do we think might shine in the wet? My money is on Sincs, Higgins and Webster to have big games.
Is there much cover at the ground?

Not confident at all about this one, I had us pretty solid favourites in normal conditions, but now the wet makes it very unpredictable. 200mm of rain in three days is a ludicrous amount.

We have good intercept players, but the wet makes that a very hard skill to execute.

We have a marking forward line (Wood, Battle, Membrey, McKernan) but the wet messes that up too.

The rain will bring our quicker players back to earth - Gresh, Hill, Butler.

All that said, some of our slow but smart guys should thrive in these conditions: Bytel, Steele, Ross, Sinclair, Higgins, Lonie.

Very very nervous here.

Not confident at all about this one, I had us pretty solid favourites in normal conditions, but now the wet makes it very unpredictable. 200mm of rain in three days is a ludicrous amount.

We have good intercept players, but the wet makes that a very hard skill to execute.

We have a marking forward line (Wood, Battle, Membrey, McKernan) but the wet messes that up too.

All that said, some of our slow but smart guys should thrive in these conditions: Bytel, Steele, Ross, Sinclair, Higgins, Lonie.

Very very nervous here.
Is the ground going to be safe to play on after receiving that much rain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very very nervous here.
LMAO was writing mine as you posted this, we are on the same wave length.

Going with my son - who hasn’t seen us win live for about 8 years since we moved north - keep picking losing games to go to Melbourne for 😐 - but he’s still a massive fan !?! pretty gutted about the weather to be honest - hope we can get a win if the game doesn’t get abandoned - the warragamba dam is overflowing so anything could happen

Think there’s a good chance the game is abandoned given what is happening in Sydney. Either way it’s gonna be an absolute slog with little to take out of the game in terms of form, game plans or structures. Can imagine it’s gonna take a lot out of the players and recovery will be hard for next week.

Is there much cover at the ground?

I’ve only been to the ground once before, and from memory there is *some* cover, but my tickets are nearly at ground level (I bought them as soon as the members tix went on sale). I’ve been trying to get them changed the last few days, but it’s literally impossible to speak to a real, actual human being at Ticketmaster. It might poncho time.

Unfortunately our hard draw is looking even harder today. A "home" game at a neutral venue against the Crows may not be a walk in the park. And the double-up against Sydney looks even harder.

We need every win we can get. Don't care how we do it today but if we can get the win it will be huge. Would take it any way we can.

The midfield is the obvious concern. I think we have them covered everywhere else. Big day for Bytel, fitness will play a huge factor so I hope that we're fit. We should take some confidence from the victory against them last year. Interested to see how we use Sinclair today, wonder if he'll push into the middle a bit more.

Good luck to young Highmore. Go Saints!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back