Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but how on earth does Cox only get a fine for elbowing someone in the head?

Head clash that injures someone - 3 weeks

Elbow to the head that is just lucky not to inure someone - fine.

Never change AFL

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Have rewatched the game and I'm trying to understand how Essendon got so close.

We were all over them for so much more of the game. The goals we leaked in the second quarter didn't even feel like they truly had the game on their terms.

Overall:
- Seeing CJ, Hardwick, Frost, Day continually marking in defence was awesome.
- Seeing long chains of handballs that often broke down, but just fuelled the high energy of the group was awesome
- Kosi's work without the ball is everything you could want from a forward.
- O'Meara and Mitchell both playing great games.
- I thought Worpel was quite good on the forward flank. I think he can do a lot of damage there.
- McEvoy plays like a captain. Does the basic things so well. Super reliable.
- Will Day, Brockman and CJ -> this is why footy is great even when your team isn't top 4.
- Phillips is a HUGE addition to the team. Every time he got it you just knew he was going to make a good, reliable decision and execute well. Smith is a big loss, but Philllips is good!
- Gunston, Wingard and Sicily would all add a lot to each section of the ground.
- Moore is a keeper. I'm still getting confused between Oli and Morrison so until I sort that out I can't really decide if their (either/or both) are keepers.
- That was a high energy game. It was so fast and really fun to watch. I've missed that kind of footy. No doubt Clarko will try and lock down a lot more against Richmond but I think it's going to be a fun year.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but how on earth does Cox only get a fine for elbowing someone in the head?

Never change AFL
Probably because it was the flogs first game. Easily was deserving of a week. Grub bloke already.

Not enough Day love on this thread. The most exciting thing about that game was watching him nail kick after kick out defence all night. No coincidence that he was the one that hit Mitchell up in the match winning play and then finally iced it with a perfect kick to touch which kositschke clunked. The kid has star written all over him.
I really liked his confidence late in the 3rd quarter when he had just intercepted an Essendon kick inside 50. Mitchell was right next to him telling him to slow things down and McEvoy not too far away pointing to a short exit option near the boundary. Instead Day spotted up Ceglar in some space in the corridor with smalls rushing forward into the 50 to provide an option (as they've seemingly trained for).

Many young players wouldn't have had the confidence to execute that kick while effectively receiving instruction from two leaders to essentially do the opposite. But not because he's a maverick, but because he identified an opportunity they clearly hadn't seen. His footy IQ is something to behold. If he ever makes a move on ball he'll be an absolute weapon.

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really liked his confidence late in the 3rd quarter when he had just intercepted an Essendon kick inside 50. Mitchell was right next to him telling him to slow things down and McEvoy not too far away pointing to a short exit option near the boundary. Instead Day spotted up Ceglar in some space in the corridor with smalls rushing forward into the 50 to provide an option (as they've seemingly trained for).

Many young players wouldn't have had the confidence to execute that kick while effectively receiving instruction from two leaders to essentially do the opposite. But not because he's a maverick, but because he identified an opportunity they clearly hadn't seen. His footy IQ is something to behold. If he ever makes a move on ball he'll be an absolute weapon.
Great minds think alike Cryptor. Almost word for word what I said in the Will Day thread. Glad someone else picked it up.

Never change AFL
He’s a newbie with zero record. It was clumsy. They gave him a chance.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also - though it's hard to put stock in them, it's interesting to see what Champion Data rates as a good game. Here's the rundown from Hawks v Essendon. Will Day, Dylan Moore (over 10 in the third quarter) and Harry Morrison all logged career best games - Sam Frost logged a score over 20 which is genuinely elite.

View attachment 1083823

Most interesting slide I've seen in a while. I wonder how Champion determines the relevance of various metrics. Sam Frost was the most influential player in the game and Tom Mitchell's first and fourth quarters were more important than his third? Harry Morrison was 20% more influential that Jeager?

I think the Champion stats are good for the game and have led to a wave an analysis which dramatically changed play with zones and percentage plays just to start. But I think the qualitative side of their information doesn't capture the picture correctly.

Most interesting slide I've seen in a while. I wonder how Champion determines the relevance of various metrics. Sam Frost was the most influential player in the game and Tom Mitchell's first and fourth quarters were more important than his third? Harry Morrison was 20% more influential that Jeager?

I think the Champion stats are good for the game and have led to a wave an analysis which dramatically changed play with zones and percentage plays just to start. But I think the qualitative side of their information doesn't capture the picture correctly.

They rate certain things very high.

Scores and direct influence on scores (goal assists) are given a lot of emphasis by the ratings system, hence Dusty kicking 2 goals and having 4 assists netted him a very high rating. They also really like ground ball gets across the board, which Frost leads for KPDs after that round.

On the defensive end, they love winning defensive 1:1s and intercept possessions (particularly marks, and contested marks). Frosty had 10 intercept possessions, 3 intercept marks (all contested).

Cyril always scored higher than you'd expect from his stats in the Champion Data metrics because he was elite in areas that CD rated highly; goals and goal assists, pressure, tackles I50, F50 ground ball gets and score involvement. Titch always scores lower than you'd expect because he accumulated in a low scoring team, meaning that CD saw more of his possessions as empty.

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
Hahaha!
Brown needs to stfu and so do the rest of the loudmouths *Edit: in the media; yes...THAT was classed as his debut game. So what?
I'm sure Conner is stoked for the TEAM. There is NO CONNER in TEAM!! It would have taken someone getting hurt to get him on the ground, you can be certain neither he or the team 'wanted' that. It was great that Cegs called him in for the song. These pricks still don't get it...we're a happy team at Hawthorn
Well said , it is team first at Hawthorn. Notice the whinges! Lloyd and Brown don’t get it they were never team first.

We were all over them for so much more of the game. The goals we leaked in the second quarter didn't even feel like they truly had the game on their terms.

Overall:
- Seeing long chains of handballs that often broke down, but just fuelled the high energy of the group was awesome
- I thought Worpel was quite good on the forward flank. I think he can do a lot of damage there.
- Will Day, Brockman and CJ -> this is why footy is great even when your team isn't top 4.
- Phillips is a HUGE addition to the team. Every time he got it you just knew he was going to make a good, reliable decision and execute well. Smith is a big loss, but Philllips is good!
- Gunston, Wingard and Sicily would all add a lot to each section of the ground.
- Moore is a keeper. I'm still getting confused between Oli and Morrison so until I sort that out I can't really decide if their (either/or both) are keepers.
- That was a high energy game. It was so fast and really fun to watch. I've missed that kind of footy. No doubt Clarko will try and lock down a lot more against Richmond but I think it's going to be a fun year.

That’s what I’m trying to understand too. I only listened to the first half on radio, and they didn’t highlight differences. Just couldn’t get our hands on it.

Anyone really notice why? This is the kind of stuff that Brishawk normally excelled at. Any ideas?

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn

Never change AFL
I always like to look at it through the Sicily lens.....
3 weeks
Infinite
2 weeks

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
He’s a newbie with zero record. It was clumsy. They gave him a chance.
That is probably true but i disagree with it

He chose to bump and collected him in the head, not suspending someone for that flies in the face of everything coming out of the AFL at the moment.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That’s what I’m trying to understand too. I only listened to the first half on radio, and they didn’t highlight differences. Just couldn’t get our hands on it.

Anyone really notice why? This is the kind of stuff that Brishawk normally excelled at. Any ideas?
We conceded field position and couldn’t get our run out of defence going reliably. When we did go we went straight down the centre or straight down the wing and long so if we didn’t win the ball at the end of the long ball Essendon had a lot of space to move the ball around in because our midfield defence wasn’t in position yet. In the third term we went a little wider which gives time for players to push up the field and make it hard for the opposition to send the ball back to their forward half with any fluidity. We also got first use out of the centre a little more.

you can see this in the heat maps. In the 2nd the concentration of possessions was in the back pocket and we kicked long and in a straight line. Then essendon used the ball down the far side of the ground and we couldn’t do anything to stop us. In the third our distribution is a lot better. And we used angels more so no long straight lines are noticeable.

1616478115442.png

1616478205038.png

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That is probably true but i disagree with it

He chose to bump and collected him in the head, not suspending someone for that flies in the face of everything coming out of the AFL at the moment.
Bet if it was a debutant of ours they’d give a week with no hesitation 🙃

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was very pleased to see Blake Hardwick play so well.

There have been comments that he has stagnated over the
past year and may not be an automatic selection. Remember
that he had a serious injury in the pre-season last year and that
hampered him more than we may realise.

Hardwick is our toughest/meanest player(along with Burgoyne)
and we desperately need him in the side. We are not a physically
intimidating team so Hardwick is crucial to The Hawks.

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Overall:
Essendon got so close because of our midfield in the second quarter. While they shone bright in the second half, they were very slow in the first. Our mids don't have the pace to keep up with the likes of Shiel or Merrett when they are sprinting out of the centre. Good teams are going to carve us up if we are that poor in the middle again. It was a small lapse but it made us concede 8 in a quarter. Had the umpires not ruined our early momentum and we didnt have the second quarter lapse, we would've beaten them by more than 5 goals.

joeyhawker

Debutant
Mar 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So we won because of the help from the angels!!!! Now I get it
We conceded field position and couldn’t get our run out of defence going reliably. When we did go we went straight down the centre or straight down the wing and long so if we didn’t win the ball at the end of the long ball Essendon had a lot of space to move the ball around in because our midfield defence wasn’t in position yet. In the third term we went a little wider which gives time for players to push up the field and make it hard for the opposition to send the ball back to their forward half with any fluidity. We also got first use out of the centre a little more.

you can see this in the heat maps. In the 2nd the concentration of possessions was in the back pocket and we kicked long and in a straight line. Then essendon used the ball down the far side of the ground and we couldn’t do anything to stop us. In the third our distribution is a lot better. And we used angels more so no long straight lines are noticeable.

View attachment 1084146

View attachment 1084149

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket

Overall:
All of the above is 💯 spot on. Feels like 2005/2006 all over again.
Brockman brings excitement too! Moore was sensational, reminded me of Poppy same build too.

Back