Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but how on earth does Cox only get a fine for elbowing someone in the head?

Head clash that injures someone - 3 weeks

Elbow to the head that is just lucky not to inure someone - fine.

Never change AFL
Given his rookie salary he would probably have preferred the week!

Btw how good was Burgoyne in that last ten minutes?

Don’t wanna toot my own horn... but I called it

Last edited:

From Nuffies on AFL pages.

View attachment 1084332
"$50 for the lot or just give me back the 33 years I've wasted on this club." -- So 33 years of supporting Essendon has been valued as worth less than $50 by this scum supporter. He's probably right but I still don't see anyone paying it.

Most interesting slide I've seen in a while. I wonder how Champion determines the relevance of various metrics. Sam Frost was the most influential player in the game and Tom Mitchell's first and fourth quarters were more important than his third? Harry Morrison was 20% more influential that Jeager?

I think the Champion stats are good for the game and have led to a wave an analysis which dramatically changed play with zones and percentage plays just to start. But I think the qualitative side of their information doesn't capture the picture correctly.
The map is not the territory, as they say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned after the game that Burgoyne was yelling to Day to calm down and then he pulls off this beauty to Cegs up the ground who kicks it to Ollie who goals. Such a pivotal play that one. The kids got some big balls.

View attachment 1084766

no it was Tom Mitchell who told him to settle down with hand motions and probably verbally, but Day ignored him and went straight down the guts to Ceglar, you can see the #3 in frame (you can also see JOM pointing to an open Ceglar), also this was the play where Ollie ignored Breust running by and an open TOB, shanks the kick where TOB marks just before the boundary and centres it for Phillips to kick the goal. (for accuracy)

Anyone see the pregame where Dermie and King were talking,
Brereton turns to king and asks "if you're not sure who to tip, why dont you think the hawks can win? You don't really like them do you?
King replies with "No, I just don't like them, they just win too much, and I don't like them."

Did anyone see this? I read that this happened and didn't see it myself, but pretty awesome if true, deserves a bump of the headf**ked thread.

no it was Tom Mitchell who told him to settle down with hand motions and probably verbally, but Day ignored him and went straight down the guts to Ceglar, you can see the #3 in frame (you can also see JOM pointing to an open Ceglar), also this was the play where Ollie ignored Breust running by and an open TOB, shanks the kick where TOB marks just before the boundary and centres it for Phillips to kick the goal. (for accuracy)
I think a bit of subterfuge might be being employed here.
The 'slow down' was very exaggerated.
Possibly code for 'look for the long option'?

Kinda tempted to sticky this thread so that no matter what happens through the year we can always have this game to feast on.

I saw this and it sparked a bit of thinking as to why. It's not new either, we typically use less rotations than our opponents if we can help it and we forego extended benches when they're offered in the pre-season.

Pretty much boiled down to the fact that you'd want your team playing as well as it could whilst using the least amount of rotations possible, similar to how stars in the NBA play significantly more minutes in the playoffs when they have to. You can keep your best team out there for longer and you're used to having less rotations if a man goes down with an injury.

I saw this and it sparked a bit of thinking as to why. It's not new either, we typically use less rotations than our opponents if we can help it and we forego extended benches when they're offered in the pre-season.

Pretty much boiled down to the fact that you'd want your team playing as well as it could whilst using the least amount of rotations possible, similar to how stars in the NBA play significantly more minutes in the playoffs when they have to. You can keep your best team out there for longer and you're used to having less rotations if a man goes down with an injury.
So what your pretty much saying is that Clarko has trained us to become accustomed to less rotations… kinda like the * have become accustomed to missing finals 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back