Autopsy Round 1 2021: North vs Port - Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunnington- on his last legs, Jed ok, Dumont & Hall you gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget Cows bet a team that played in Granny!
Who are those easier opponents?????????????
Faith is so important right now , I am of the same mind as many others on here, it's better to spend a bit of time at the bottom and build a future instead of seeing the same tired shite every year and hoping things somehow magically change. I am very excited to see these kids in a couple of years, our age profile combined with relative games experience will be so valuable.

So you don't think Perez, Hayden, Xerri, LMac, Jed make up a part of our future (not to mention Powell, Phillips, Comben, etc.)?

Or that Cunners, Dumont and Taz are the leaders that will help get them there?

I think you need to invest in more than a Melway dude.
7 players out of our best 22 ??????????????? No where dude!

Faith is so important right now , I am of the same mind as many others on here, it's better to spend a bit of time at the bottom and build a future instead of seeing the same tired sh*te every year and hoping things somehow magically change. I am very excited to see these kids in a couple of years, our age profile combined with relative games experience will be so valuable.
Agree, but I'm sik of seeing the same old players getting a game every week, play the young kids and see what happens.
I just don't see any real potential in a lot of the kids that have played seniors.

Agree, but I'm sik of seeing the same old players getting a game every week, play the young kids and see what happens.
I just don't see any real potential in a lot of the kids that have played seniors.
We have all been burned over the years by "the next big hope" the reality is that it will be a long, hard road with many different elements needing to work well. The bones are there, I'm not worried about our kids as long as they have support to grow

Coaches votes

North Melbourne v Port Adelaide

10 Travis Boak (PORT)
8 Orazio Fantasia (PORT)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
4 Jaidyn Stephenson (NMFC)
3 Ollie Wines (PORT)
1 Steven Motlop (PORT)

This is ridiculous.

Yesterday this was the named side:

Corr, Mckay, Bonar (No one over 100 games. 1 player with any long term backline experience.)
Ziebell, Young, Atley (Two guys over 100 games. 1 player with any long term backline experience.)
Thomas, LDU, Scott (Well?)
Mahony, Zurhaar, Stephenson
Turner, Larkey, J Walker

Goldstein, Tyson, Simpkin

Taylor, Polec, Powell, Menadue, Lazarro

Our backline had three guys with less than 20 games two with 200+ and one with nearly 100.
Our forward line had one guy with 100+ games two with 50+.
Two other players had 100+ games and one had 250 and one nearly 75.

Seven players with 100(ish) games or more. The other 16 with less than 100, (17 technically cos Corr is on 99,) 13 of them with less than 50 and seven of those players with less than 20 games.

We are playing the kids. They're all we've got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive: New pieces all get ticks

There was plenty to like if you’re a North Melbourne fan on Sunday, headlined by Jaidyn Stephenson’s first game in the blue and white.

Playing through the midfield, Stephenson finished with a career-high 33 disposals and looks as fit as he has ever been.

Down back, Lachie Young and Aidan Corr both slotted in nicely, while captain Jack Ziebell won 25 disposals in his new role.

Jared Polec looked reinvigorated on the wing, Tom Powell impressed with 19 disposals and a goal on debut, Luke Davies-Uniacke looks set to breakout and Connor Menadue was serviceable as a pick up off the scrap heap.

Negative: Key forward targets

It’s a new era for North Melbourne without Ben Brown and it’s going to take some time to adjust.

Nick Larkey spent some time off the ground dealing with an injury niggle, but was kept scoreless and very quiet by the Port Adelaide backline.

Cam Zurhaar also had no impact and needs to start becoming a more consistent performer.

North’s goals came from their small forwards and their midfielders, but they will need much more from Larkey and Zurhaar.

I know I went on about this last year but what about McKay to the forward line? He is coming along nicely down back but we won't make finals this year so for goodness sake, experiment a bit.

Larkey did quite well when rucking, or more correctly did much better than I thought he would do. He may eventually be a David Hale style tall.

I wonder if Brown lead so much that no one else bothered.

Fix the forward line.

I would prefer to swing Tarrant forward when available. Initially I was against the idea as I wanted him to help McKay with his development down back. After McKay’s display yesterday, he looks at home down back. At this stage I think Larkey and Zurharr are the concern and need some protection and experience around them. Walker has played a fair bit of footy up forward, but I just don’t think he is capable of doing that role.

The defence as a whole looked solid. They only really looked vulnerable when they got burnt with a turnover. I think McKay, Corr, Walker if we need an extra tall, plus McDonald when he gets back is a solid defensive unit. Obviously I would prefer Tarrant to be there as well, but we have more pressing needs up the other end.

Our forward line is a massive worry and it needs to be rejigged in some way. Larkey is not ready to be the number 1 forward and is losing confidence. I would prefer Zurharr to be able to roam up the ground at times as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would prefer to swing Tarrant forward when available. Initially I was against the idea as I wanted him to help McKay with his development down back. After McKay’s display yesterday, he looks at home down back. At this stage I think Larkey and Zurharr are the concern and need some protection and experience around them. Walker has played a fair bit of footy up forward, but I just don’t think he is capable of doing that role.

The defence as a whole looked solid. They only really looked vulnerable when they got burnt with a turnover. I think McKay, Corr, Walker if we need an extra tall, plus McDonald when he gets back is a solid defensive unit. Obviously I would prefer Tarrant to be there as well, but we have more pressing needs up the other end.

Our forward line is a massive worry and it needs to be rejigged in some way. Larkey is not ready to be the number 1 forward and is losing confidence. I would prefer Zurharr to be able to roam up the ground at times as well.

They need someone with good leadership qualities on the forward line. I just dunno if Taz has enough experience as a forward for that job.

They need someone with good leadership qualities on the forward line. I just dunno if Taz has enough experience as a forward for that job.

Possibly not, but I don’t really see any other option at the moment. The forward line has been completely dysfunctional throughout preseason and round 1. If McKay and Corr can hold their own down back, I think trialing Tarrant up forward is the best option.

just base on Stevenson's stats, noble easily the best coach since pagan. His visionary decision to turn jaidyn into the midfield has already yielded results.

From now on, any seemingly left field move from noble would most liekly turn out to be masterstroke years down the lane.

We have all been burned over the years by "the next big hope" the reality is that it will be a long, hard road with many different elements needing to work well. The bones are there, I'm not worried about our kids as long as they have support to grow
Yeah i dont care what the score board looks like this year. What i saw yesterday was enough for me to look forward to the not to distant future. The kids looked great. Few wins here and there as long as the young blokes keep turning up and having ago i will be more than pleased.

just base on Stevenson's stats, noble easily the best coach since pagan. His visionary decision to turn jaidyn into the midfield has already yielded results.

From now on, any seemingly left field move from noble would most liekly turn out to be masterstroke years down the lane.

When you made an account did you choose “Rad roo” because “Nutjob” was already taken?

The bloke has coached 1 game.

North Melbourne v Port Adelaide
Centre bounces: 30

North Melbourne

PlayerFantasyTOGCBACBA%
Jy Simpkin6582%2687%
Todd Goldstein9096%2583%
Luke Davies-Uniacke8279%2170%
Dom Tyson5861%1137%
Tarryn Thomas7070%1033%
Jaidyn Stephenson12876%1033%
Tom Powell6874%827%
Nick Larkey2475%517%
Bailey Scott9383%413%

Kick-ins (play on): Jack Ziebell 10 (9), Shaun Atley 2 (0), Lachie Young 1 (1), Aidan Corr 1 (0), Connor Menadue 1 (1).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back