Autopsy Round 1, 2021 = Pies 53-69 Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Heavens above!!! I thought I was a Negative Nellie!! I'm a Positive Pete compared to you.

I hope someone has hidden all the sharp implements at your house.

They're legitimate questions, considering how the club threw our players under a bus, that's gonna make FA's think twice before coming here. I know I would be.

The lack of depth in the list when you look at the competition.

The media around the do better report, taking on a bunch of young men inadvertently under the spotlight just by being at the club. How it is effecting them?, yet another challenge for any prospective coach - mentoring young players that the club has put under unnecessary pressure.

Every coach loves a challenge but this is much more to tackle than just our on field woes.

Given that, what makes us more attractive for a coach that can deliver a cup wanna come here? If there are other choices, which there will likely be, then on face value you'd pick other clubs first wouldn't you.

This project is much much more than just on field potential for any coach to sink their teeth into, all the other guff that could've been avoided that the club as a whole is guilty of maybe just a bridge too far.

My money is that no one of note is gonna put their hand up, so we're stuck with Nathan or an untried and unknown. :shrug:

We won something. The side with the lowest points for in round 1.

Been a problem for how long and these morons have made zero progress. Well, they traded out one of our best goal kickers so thats something I guess.

Started to watch Buck’s presser. He seemed almost embarrassed that he had to go the scripted lines. He is done!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He has totally checked out. No anger,; no aggression; no passion; and never any critiques of individual players. I am normally against the latter practice but it is about time to jettison traditions & give some players absolute rockets in a public forum. Who cares about their feelings when they put up such detritus as on Friday night!

Last night was a timely reminder of why i handed back my membership after 12 years last year. Entire club reeks of incompetence from the top down right now. We've had the same issues year in year out and have failed to address them year in year out. The fact that so many of us were unsurprised at the performance we laid out last night speaks volumes of the clubs inability to address holes.

- We've done nothing significant about our forward line since Cloke left
- We've not drafted anyone who's made an immediate impact to the team since DeGoey while Richmond blood kids picked in the 20-50 range who just slot straight into the system seamlessly
- We've clearly not addressed Grundys glaring weakness in hit outs to advantage, yet we spent $7m to keep him
- We have the same cultural problems causing distractions every year
- We've kept the same board and same coaching panel and same incompetent list management for years who have delivered us absolutely nothing

In essence, we're going backwards in every way as quick as any club in the league and don't seem to have a plan to reverse the trend.

Apologies for the uber-negativity, rant over.
Simply a fantastic & totally accurate honest post, my friend!

He has totally checked out. No anger,; no aggression; no passion; and never any critiques of individual players. I am normally against the latter practice but it is about time to jettison traditions & give some players absolute rockets in a public forum. Who cares about their feelings when they put up such detritus as on Friday night!

No he has embraced the woke culture whereby winning is not everything, its all about not offending anyone, not bullying anyone etc etc. The club has the core of what sport is about, winning, everything else comes second. You don't win you fail, this s**t he and some of the players go on about is just embarrassing and not what wins flags.

Great article about the female hockey team today with Rick Charlesworth who is being mentioned as a potential replacement. He basically says he is probably not suitable because he demands 100% commitment and is prepared to tell players they are over-weight, not performing etc etc. Says basically the players are just not committed to being the best they can.

The issue i see is there are 2 trains of thought those who want to play for the now and struggle and claw for maybe a 6th to 8th spot.

Vs those who want to bite the bullet and get the rebuild started and looking to the future. Blooding and mixing some 1st 2nd and 3rd years through.

Defaulting back to Mayne JT WHE Greenwood etc whilst might help the odd win it slows the transition to the likes of Bianco Rantall Wilson Keane McCreery McGuiness McMahon Macrea Henry Poulter etc etc getting games into them (when ready).

Safety boring and dour damage mitigation vs exciting and refreshing the 22. I would wager the win loss wouldn't be too far apart if done well either.
Let's face it, we are not winning the flag this year. We are not making the GF and if we make top 4 it will be because of some other teams' disasters. Realistically we finish midstream.
So why wouldn't we play as many youngsters as possible to see who cuts the mustard. That way we go into this years trade and draft with eyes wide open knowing exactly what we need.

Let's face it, we are not winning the flag this year. We are not making the GF and if we make top 4 it will be because of some other teams' disasters. Realistically we finish midstream.
So why wouldn't we play as many youngsters as possible to see who cuts the mustard. That way we go into this years trade and draft with eyes wide open knowing exactly what we need.

I agree with the sentiment but I think you have to look at the reality that some of these kids are not physically ready. Many played little to no footy last year and the game at AFL level is very demanding so they need to be managed. Let them build a base and earn a game in the ones with good form. We need the mature bodies around them to help them through.

We all remember how Melbourne destroyed Jack Watts.

Because you can't just throw them in the deep end and just hope they swim. yeah I get the 'just try the kids' mantra but it doesn't work that way - anymore. 30 - 40 years ago it was sink or swim but now we gotta protect their young minds from fear of failing.

That's why a lot of draftees usually don't get regular gigs in the ones - sometimes not for 2 or 3 seasons. Sure there are exceptions based on pure exceptional talent (Stepho) or mature mind set that can handle heavy set back (Rowell) but they're not the norm.

Let's see how they go in the VFL first is what the club and panel are thinking.

I agree with the sentiment but I think you have to look at the reality that some of these kids are not physically ready. Many played little to no footy last year and the game at AFL level is very demanding so they need to be managed. Let them build a base and earn a game in the ones with good form. We need the mature bodies around them to help them through.

We all remember how Melbourne destroyed Jack Watts.
I completely understand what you are saying, but I think a few games would give us a better understanding of each individual's potential and best position. I'm not suggesting we over expose any of our youngsters.

Yet he was our 2nd best player
I couldn't believe when I heard the media talking Pendles game up. Yes he got the most possessions on the team but I gotta agree with the original sentiment, it was close to the worst game I can recall him playing. But you're also right.... he wasn't our only issue - nor the reason we lost. So many players just went missing. I don't doubt they were trying but .... man. And soooo many chances wasted with poor skill errors. Our defense is amazing. Do not touch that unit in any way, shape or form (calls for Madgen to go are so far off the mark it's not funny).

Midfield got killed due to having a ruckman who couldn’t be arsed, no structure, no spread, Sier jogging on the spot, De Goey disappearing, Sier being soft and being physically overwhelmed.

The defence is exceptional and it’s hard to see how they aren’t going to be bombarded each week.
I thought Sier was overwhelmed for one reason only - the Dogs had 2-3 more players around the ball at almost every contest. He had no hope because he was working alone. I saw a guy working his arse off for zero reward. Grundy is a real concern. I thought after the pre-season game he was back to his hard running best .... and then all we saw Friday night was a repeat of what we witnessed last year. It honestly looked like he couldn't run .... or was laboured at best. Bit like Stephenson last year and then he somehow can run in the midfield. Maybe the issue is our conditioning staff - again??

Ordinary, but at the end of the day they only scored 69 points against us so there's something to work with.

But...

The worst part for me is that we were just Sidebottom off our best midfield, and we were comprehensively beaten at the contest.

Yes the Dogs' midfield is stacked, and Grundy once again couldn't get a hit out to advantage despite hitting the HO numbers, but we just looked severely one-paced and not only that but lacking grunt. Fancy lacking grunt AND speed. This is the reality we find ourselves in.

Our pressure and contested stuff was way down. Gonna take a big turnaround to topple Carlton.

Such a strange game.... I found it odd because the stats say we should have lost by 10+ goals and yet the "feel" of the game was if we executed a few chances better we could have potentially stolen the game. They blew maybe 1/10th of the chances we did.

I actually think a lot of the issues - pressure etc, lack of physical presence - are all fixable ... and by this week but I tell ya, if we don't "bring the heat" on Thursday night we will be destroyed by the filth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't believe when I heard the media talking Pendles game up. Yes he got the most possessions on the team but I gotta agree with the original sentiment, it was close to the worst game I can recall him playing. But you're also right.... he wasn't our only issue - nor the reason we lost. So many players just went missing. I don't doubt they were trying but .... man. And soooo many chances wasted with poor skill errors. Our defense is amazing. Do not touch that unit in any way, shape or form (calls for Madgen to go are so far off the mark it's not funny).
honestly i thought pendles was shocking, worst i've seen him play since 2018.

adams and daicos went missing as well.

Adams didn't go missing, he was there constantly burning the team with his horrible turnovers.

Had double the amount of clangers as the Collingwood player with the 2nd most.

I thought there were quite a few players described as "passengers" who tried their guts out but just got zero reward for effort - mainly because they were flying solo. Where the Dogs had 2-3 players we always had just the one. Adams was trying but just having zero impact. Thought Sier was another. And for mine a very very big difference between running around like a headless chook vs trying your guts out for no reward!!!

I am going to go back and re watch all the games.

First quarter in the game - Why on earth would Buckley think playing Noble on a wing against Bailey Smith would be a good idea? After the ball ups, Noble pays him zero respect and just runs away.

Lipinski looks pretty good so far lol - Hands look pretty clean.

I am not focussing on Noble, it is more that i remember Bailey Smith destroyed us, so i want to go back and understand why. I will be doing the same with Parish/ Touk Touk etc.

Another three quarters to go.

JLC - I reckon your game by game review is worthy of its own thread
Nice thought.
I tend to think keeping it in each Autopsy thread has some merit.
Keeps it all in one, (related) place and if people are inclined they can compare JLC's current views with their own earlier ones.
Also makes comments and feedback easier to follow.
Thoughts?

Nice thought.
I tend to think keeping it in each Autopsy thread has some merit.
Keeps it all in one, (related) place and if people are inclined they can compare JLC's current views with their own earlier ones.
Also makes comments and feedback easier to follow.
Thoughts?
Fair enough, just thought for someone to go through that effort their own thread would be nice. All good though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back