Autopsy Round 1, 2021 = Pies 53-69 Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from KPF, our recruiting has landed 3 Top 8 finishes, 2 Top4 , 2 PF and a GF in the last 3 years.
I don’t see the panic of holes in our list like you, given the youth recruited and cap space we’ve created.

Game Plan seems more an issue than cattle.
Was it through drafting in the last decade though? JDG, Maynard, Stepho, Langdon, Grundy, Mihocek and Phillips were the only one's we drafted without concessions in the last decade who contributed to those finishes. 3 of them are already gone. Our current team has 5 blokes who are regulars who were drafted in the last decade without being father sons or academy choices - it's a shockingly low number. And out of all our other draftees during that decade - not many are looking like pushing through. Hopefully this latest crop defies our recent draft history, which hasn't been good.

You may think I'm criticising Hine - I'm not. I rate him. I'm criticising the criteria we've used, as it's resulted in a lot of decent players who can't contribute at AFL consistently as they're not athletic enough to fill roles. Change the criteria Dekka.

Nah end of career Naughton will be well in front, he has the added benefit of providing real structure and target.
I think he'll be an ok forward, but a top shelf defender. If he plays forward, I'll back Stepho, but if he goes to defence, I think you'll be right. With JUH and English- they may have the luxury to play him in defence

I think he'll be an ok forward, but a top shelf defender. If he plays forward, I'll back Stepho, but if he goes to defence, I think you'll be right. With JUH and English- they may have the luxury to play him in defence

Naughton will make a very good CHF with JUH at FF finishing.

Brings about pack crashing and aggression at contest that is essential in quality chf.

Footscray didn't win this game. Collingwood lost it. The squandered chances were everything. The enormous possession differential is meaningless in scoring terms.
1. The game strategy and the tactics used by Collingwood were correct. The were plenty of opportunities provided to the forwards, and the defenders held their ground throughout the game.
2. The skill errors that cost Collingwood the game came from the experienced players. The dropped marks and poor passes were rarely from the newer players.
3. Henry was not ready. His nervousness was palpable on screen even. Dropping him might damage his confidence further. What to do.
4. The biggest problem for the team is the centre bounce. As has been the case for many years, Collingwood does not clear the ball from the centre often or well. Whoever is responsible for what happens there needs to change his approach or be replaced. We have been vulnerable there for years, sometimes with an elite bunch of players in there, and sometimes like yesterday with a weak line up. Since the personnel have no effect, it must be the methods. As a ball watcher, I don't really understand the fine points of centre square work, but the coach in charge of that line doesn't seem to either.
5. Like our players, the umpires were subject to a lot of skill errors. Pushes in the back were adjudicated in a very random way, and geography seemed to be quite a problem. More than a dozen sub 10m kicks were awared as marks, half a dozen got a play on, and Maynard ran a good 30m from full back without a bounce or a penalty.
6. Players deliberately dragging opponents into the prohibited zone should not be rewarded. In our game they were. In the Richmond game I heard the umpire tell the players to"take him out" when they appealed for those 50's. I also noticed that the players completely ignore that instruction, but at least no undeserved 50's were given.
7. Daicos does not belong in the forward pocket at this stage in his career.
8. Tyler Brown showed a bit.
9. Ruscoe didn't.
10. Grundy was patchy.
11. Moore was brilliant.

Nah dogs let us off the hook dominated us in most areas of the ground.

Hire deadshit coaches who wouldn't get a job elsewhere being Exhibit A.

Yep . St~Kilda favourite son Rob, I can`t sentence 3 words together coherently Harvey , come on down , the Club he served with such distinction gave him one interview for their coaching job out of respect , said, ummmm , thanks for your interest Rob, but you are not a Coach

Hines been very open that we score kids against a list of criteria to rate them. I'm not suggesting that he devalues pace. I'm suggesting that it's not weighted heavily enough in his criteria. We've added a lot of plodders over the last 7 years.

Judkins fat arsed wombat brigade before Hine took the reigns.

Think recruiters look for safety bets a lot after being in the role for too long and get caught out with footy trends where old criteria no longer applies but they stick fat.

Brings about pack crashing and aggression at contest that is essential in quality chf.
In the old style footy - agreed. But Dogs aren't going to kick it to a pack at CHF too often - coach would lynch the kicker. I'd prefer him taking grabs in defensive 50 than on the wing where CHFs get into pack marking situations.

Footscray didn't win this game. Collingwood lost it. The squandered chances were everything. The enormous possession differential is meaningless in scoring terms.
1. The game strategy and the tactics used by Collingwood were correct. The were plenty of opportunities provided to the forwards, and the defenders held their ground throughout the game.
2. The skill errors that cost Collingwood the game came from the experienced players. The dropped marks and poor passes were rarely from the newer players.
3. Henry was not ready. His nervousness was palpable on screen even. Dropping him might damage his confidence further. What to do.
4. The biggest problem for the team is the centre bounce. As has been the case for many years, Collingwood does not clear the ball from the centre often or well. Whoever is responsible for what happens there needs to change his approach or be replaced. We have been vulnerable there for years, sometimes with an elite bunch of players in there, and sometimes like yesterday with a weak line up. Since the personnel have no effect, it must be the methods. As a ball watcher, I don't really understand the fine points of centre square work, but the coach in charge of that line doesn't seem to either.
5. Like our players, the umpires were subject to a lot of skill errors. Pushes in the back were adjudicated in a very random way, and geography seemed to be quite a problem. More than a dozen sub 10m kicks were awared as marks, half a dozen got a play on, and Maynard ran a good 30m from full back without a bounce or a penalty.
6. Players deliberately dragging opponents into the prohibited zone should not be rewarded. In our game they were. In the Richmond game I heard the umpire tell the players to"take him out" when they appealed for those 50's. I also noticed that the players completely ignore that instruction, but at least no undeserved 50's were given.
7. Daicos does not belong in the forward pocket at this stage in his career.
8. Tyler Brown showed a bit.
9. Ruscoe didn't.
10. Grundy was patchy.
11. Moore was brilliant.

Grundy patchy ? please .Hub boy Grundy was utter s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not one game, it’s a continuation of the last 12months. We played the same and have the exact same issues. midfield soundly beaten, can’t score, same passengers
Wasn't all doom and gloom. Defence was fabulous and I thought we moved it much better than last year, but we copped a massive bath in the midfield.

I love Naughton but he doesn’t seem a natural forward to me. Great leap and hands gets him far but he lacks forward craft. How many goals does he kick from picking it up off the deck or general play etc?

I agree with sr36 - he will be a superb CHB, but probably only a good and occasionally exciting forward (not a direct quote but my understanding of how he sees it).

So are we going to be 'ok'?
I think we'll be top 6, our new players will dictate if we go further, i wouldn't be surprised if we made a prelim.

Look at last season, Grundy/Treloar/Stevo/WHE stinking it up every single week, we ridded ourselves of 2 of those downhill skiers, no Sidebottom during finals, no Howe, we'll be thereabouts when push turns to shove.

In the opening game of the 2021 season, Collingwood lost convincingly to the Western Bulldogs by 16 points, despite having one less scoring shot than their opponents (Collingwood had 18 scoring shots to 19). The Bulldogs jumped the Magpies early with the first 3 goals in the opening 6 minutes, a deficit that Collingwood could not recover from, despite finding a way to hang in the contest on two or three occasions after that initial onslaught without hitting the front to lead or to win the game. The Bulldogs starved the Woods of possession with constant fluency and movement with the spread of uncontested possessions mounting up on the back of the Bulldogs taking away Collingwood's strength, which was winning the contested ball, which allowed the Dogs to play a high-possession game where they had more time and space to allow their ball winners and playmakers to be much more effective and influential. Collingwood were very disjointed with their brand of footy and extremely disconnected with forward entries resulting in intercept marks to the Bulldogs, dropped or missed marks once inside 50, before wayward snaps that resulted in behinds ultimately killed off any genuine chance of gaining momentum against the grain and run of play.

The only statistical categories that Collingwood won on the night, were hit-outs by +27 (46 - 19), intercept possessions were won by +2 (78 - 76), and Contested Marks had a differential of +2 (17 - 15). The Western Bulldogs had a differential of +149 for disposals (465 - 316), kicks were won by +62 (259 - 197), +87 for handballs (206 - 119), contested possessions had a margin of +25 (156 - 131), followed by an advantage of +124 for uncontested possessions (304 - 180). The Dogs were then able to take a lead of of +35 for uncontested marks (109 - 74), while clearances were won by +6 (38 - 32), with centre clearances up by +3 (11 - 8), and stoppage clearances also had a margin of +3 (27 - 24). Tackles were + 5 (57 - 52), and Tackles Inside 50 had an advantage of +12 (17 - 5). The Bulldogs capped off their field dominance with a differential of +6 for Marks Inside 50 (11 - 5), and they generated a lead of +19 for Inside 50s (60 - 41).

Scott Pendlebury (25 disposals @ 72%, 570 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was the only Collingwood midfielder to generate any kind of fluency and ball movement whenever he gained possession. Unfortunately for Pendlebury, he was less than exemplary as were all of his teammates on the night to be frank.

Taylor Adams (20 disposals @ 60%, 267 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 8 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) won his clearances, but did not generate any substantial progress when he gathered possession.

Jordan De Goey (16 disposals @ 56%, 309 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) spent most of his time in the midfield, with stints up forward. He would be filthy that he did not convert any of his scoring shots into goals.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 74%, 529 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 6 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had a solid game without lifting the team to great heights.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 77%, 245 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Rebound 50s) won a lot of possessions behind the ball, without generating any run off half-back, as he was forced to either switch the ball across the ground, or go down the line to hit up targets with short kicks that were not able to generate potency.

Brayden Maynard(21 disposals @ 86%, 685 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) distributed the footy very well, but the lack of connectivity with his teammates further afield meant he didn't influence the game directly.

Jack Madgen (19 disposals @ 79%, 242 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) can hold his head up high after an admirable performance where he played his role well and effectively without being a standout.

Darcy Moore (18 disposals @ 94%, 347 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 4 handballs, 12 marks, 6 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) was the standout player on a dire night for the Woods. Marked everything that came his way, and generated excellent ball movement whenever he transitioned the ball from defence into attack.

Mason Cox (15 disposals @ 53%, 204 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 hit-outs, 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities on a night where Collingwood's forwards were starved of opportunities, which forced Cox to lead higher up the ground across half-back to take marks or create contests, which made the Magpies smaller ahead of the ball, which caused many issues.

Brody Mihocek (11 disposals @ 54%, 318 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) provided an avenue to goal to compliment Cox nicely. Kept presenting to the ball carrier or kicker, even though there was a lack of supply which proved to be telling on the night.

Jamie Elliott (12 disposals @ 58%, 184 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities to impact the scoreboard.

Collingwood's next game will be against Carlton at the MCG on March 25. Plenty of key areas to work on against the Blues on Thursday night. For Collingwood to prevail, they will need to win the ball inside the contest and feed it off to runners who are moving, who shall hopefully maintain possession effectively and give the forwards plenty of chances to take marks and kick goals. Secondly, Brodie Grundy needs to extract his digit and ensure his taps go to his team's advantage to enable ball movement from within the contest. Thirdly, forward half territory will be extremely important, and generating stoppages inside the front half of the ground will allow Collingwood a greater chance of scoring goals against Carlton. Shall the Magpies tick all of those boxes, by winning the contested ball, maintaining possession, and generating scores from stoppages in the forward half, it will go a long way to getting a timely victory. A victory that would make everybody at Collingwood much more ebullient, especially as it would allow the club to go past Carlton in the head-to-head battle for the most wins in 4 decades. Collingwood have not been ahead of Carlton for the most victories since 1981. Perfect opportunity to get ahead of the ledger, Woods! Make it count!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back