Game Day Round 1, 2021: Richmond v Brisbane Lions - Sunday 1:10PM

Who were your three best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawes BOG
Svarc huge in first half. She looks shredded as.
Thought Grider mopped up a lot down back and looks composed with her disposal.
Hickey dominated in the ruck.
Maloney was good too. We dominated the middle without traditional blue chip players such as Anderson and Bates doing all the heavy lifting.

Entertaining and enjoyable game.
We’re gonna be tough to beat this year.

Awesome win and a great first game of the season :)
Special mention to our defensive pressure, our center clearances and the footy smarts we show each year.
Svarc looking amazing again, Hodder brings some good excitement, and was it Hickie who got that 50m goal?
Looks like a promising season to come! maybe this will be the year!
Yes Hickie. Smith showed a bit in the last quarter as another tall option as well. Woosha in for Wardlaw next week for mine. We’re currently 2nd behind North who had a big 10 goal win, with Freo the other team to beat. Great to keep them scoreless with the wind in the last quarter. Go lions!

Im a bit late to the party (new years resolutions not to post in game day threads) but how good is it having footy back! Id also forgotten how bad afl commentary was - it sounded like richmond were both the only team out there and absolutely dominating, but thats another story.

Too many players were on their game to call them all out but a couple of improvers I was really impressed with was Dakota and O'Dwyer. Dakota looks so much fitter and it shows in her ability to impact the game around the field, while O'Dwyer is reading the game so much better than last year. Her first half was especially good.

How huge was that hickie kick! Absolutely unbelievable, an easy 55m! And hodder absolutely getting among it at just 150cm tall was amazing to watch to. When the team has a few more games under its belt and blows off the rust that saw a few easy marks dropped theyre gonna be ready to make some real noise

Can see why Hodder played ahead of Wuetschner, she was everywhere and kept going from one contest to another. Pressure was at a different level, great game by the girls ! Bates nailed a few pinpoint kicks in Q4 too, running power and pressure through the middle was top notch.

Jess could come back in against sides with quicker leg speed and rebound.. our match up against Fremantle would be interesting.

Nice win by the Lioness v Richmond today
Standard of footy was pretty good for the first outing of the season
Richmond apparently did not win a game last year so we would have been an overwhelming favorite to win.
With our next opponent the Cats getting slaughtered by North we should be in a favorable position after the first two rounds
Will be a Hickey Park next week to cheer them on.
See tomorrow how Ticketmaster is going to allocate tickets to a "licensed & Unlicensed" zone

Can see why Hodder played ahead of Wuetschner, she was everywhere and kept going from one contest to another. Pressure was at a different level, great game by the girls ! Bates nailed a few pinpoint kicks in Q4 too, running power and pressure through the middle was top notch.

Jess could come back in against sides with quicker leg speed and rebound.. our match up against Fremantle would be interesting.
My daughter tells me that Jess has mentioned on her FB page that the lightning strike she received is still causing a fair bit of anxiety and loss of work
So maybe that is a big reason with omission especially being an away game
See what unfolds during the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all, we are on the train homeward bound. What a great match! It was very blowy and swirly and also pretty hard to see the other side of the ground(small screen didn't help). Our Lion Ladies were fantastic and tough. I can't wait to see a replay to see our great play. Orla was everywhere and looked very composed. It was exciting to see Hodder, she is so quick and hungry for the ball with great hands. Great Teamwork all round. I am glad we got to see a match in Melbourne. Anyway can't wait to see a replay! GO LIONS!!!

Apart from Brennan getting away a couple of times, it was a desperate and inspiring performance by the backline. Like everyone else, really enjoyed Hodder buzzing around in the front half. Still want to get Woosh back in, though; need her class, footy brain and ability to convert some of those half-chances. Don't know if we're fit or Richmond aren't, but we ran all over them in the last quarter. Want to see more from Wardlaw. Possibly the best game Baldy has ever played for us.

Hard to know how to rate that performance given it wasn’t against a proven side but I thought we looked quite good. Our trademark pressure game is still intact but there seemed to be a bit more to our game than pressure and territory. I think another year into our inexperienced middle tier has really helped. It didn’t feel like we were as reliant on the big names which is positive. And that forward line is looking quite ominous if they can all click at once.

Every year is a significant improvement of skills across the depth players, a lot less shanked kicks and handballs. A lot less running past the ball and fumbles. I would guess Woosh is a day-to-day proposition still. Hasn't been a great year for those with no real history of mental health challenges, let alone those already carrying trauma and high levels of anxiety.

It's hard to measure off one game, but our setup to exit the ball from contested situations seems to have improved. We've defended well and scrapped well on the inside for the last few years, but getting that link between our contested players and space on the outside has been a problem. We were reading some of the loose ball a bit better or getting pressure handballs to players who were free better than I have seen previously.

Back