Round 1, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people still doubting English is a ruck after that masterclass he gave Essendon? He will be a superstar. Talls take time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I totally agree it will take English time to develop the core strength to compete week in week out. I have no doubt he will get there we just have to exercise some patience which is something I seriously struggle with !

Are people still doubting English is a ruck after that masterclass he gave Essendon? He will be a superstar. Talls take time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe you can explain the recruitment of a 34 year old Stefan Martin from Brisbane seems the first sausage on the barbecue at Christmas to me, looks to me that someone within the four walls of the club seems to be doubting the young tyro. I could be way off as well as i skipped the reading of tea leaves class when i went to school decades ago.

Maybe you can explain the recruitment of a 34 year old Stefan Martin from Brisbane seems the first sausage on the barbecue at Christmas to me, looks to me that someone within the four walls of the club seems to be doubting the young tyro. I could be way off as well as i skipped the reading of tea leaves class when i went to school decades ago.
They had tea at your school! You lucky bastard we had to make do wi5h sour milk in triangle cartons.

It’s simple. Going back to full length quarters means we need two legitimate ruck men. No question mark on Tim at all.

It’s simple. Going back to full length quarters means we need two legitimate ruck men. No question mark on Tim at all.
I would argue we needed two all along, Bevo would argue that we had two Tim English and Josh Dunkley and we were treading water waiting for the AFL to see the error of their ways are bring back third man up in the ruck. ;)

A very likely line-up, although I'd swap Vandermeer for Cavarra. Lipinski very stiff IMO.
Not having a go at you just genuinely interested in your reason. For mine VDM has a string of proven performances in the seniors whereas IMO the same cannot be said for Cavarra. Is your selection based on potential or is there something inVDM that you are not sold on?

Not having a go at you just genuinely interested in your reason. For mine VDM has a string of proven performances in the seniors whereas IMO the same cannot be said for Cavarra. Is your selection based on potential or is there something inVDM that you are not sold on?
The post they referred to had Cavarra on the interchange instead of VDM, I think you misunderstood their comment

B E.Wood A.Keath C.Daniel
HB H.Crozier J.Bruce J.Johannisen
C A.Treloar M.Bontempelli L.Hunter
HF J.Ugle-Hagan A.Naughton L.Vandermeer
F M.Hannan T.English M.Wallis
FOLL: S.Martin B.Smith J.Macrae
INTER: T.Libreatore, Z.Cordy, E.Richards, B.Williams

No room for Toby McLean in the best 22?

Leaning towards this as my team before any games are played.

Williams - Keath - Crozier
Daniel - Cordy - Duryea
Hunter - Dunkley - Treloar
Bontempelli - Naughton - JJ
Wallis - Bruce - JUH
Martin - Macrae - Liberatore

Smith - Wood - Richards - English

West first in if there’s an injury.

Pre-season games this year should actually be very interesting for once. With the lack of access to training due to Covid and no reserves in 2020, we finally get a decent look at how West, Garcia, Khamis etc have been tracking.

Hard to put any of those in the best 22 for now with little evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Rhylee West has a lot of ability however his best position is as a midfielder what are his chances of being a regular this season with our star studded midfield. Not sure but if he can we will be looking great.

Last edited:
Backs: Wood Keath Crozier
H. Backs: Duryea Naughton Williams
Centres: Hunter Liberatore Daniel
H. Forwards: JUH Bontempelli Vandermeer
Forwards: Wallis Bruce Dunkley

Rucks: English Macrae Treloar

19-22: Martin, JJ, Smith, Cordy

Emerg 1: [McLean] Richards, Hanan, Schache, West, Dale, Young, Weightman, Lipinski, Jong
Emerg 2: R. Smith, Bedendo, Sweet, Garcia, Khamis, McNeill, Gardner, Butler [Hayes, Cavarro??]

Will probably change my mind significantly between now and round 1.

B: Crozier. Keath. Williams
HB: Daniel. Cordy Wood
C: Hunter McRae. VDM
HF: Bont Bruce. JJ
FF: Wallis. Naughton. West

R: Martin. Dunkley. Treloar

Bench: Libba, English, Jong, JUH

Depth: Richards, Duryea, Schache, Le Young, Weightman

Injured/Underdone: Garcia, Hannah, McLean

We bat deep !

We bat deep !
Love the look of this side. I really like the idea of playing JJ up forward this year. Only thing that would worry me with your setup is a lack of pace out of defence. I think if we had VDM on the wing and JJ up forward, we'd need Richards playing down back. If Jong's playing, it may mean VDM is forward and JJ is back.

I think we have a pretty clear best 18 or so players. It's the final 3-4 spots that are hard to pinpoint. Wood, West and Jong's spots all at risk and could have any of the depth players in their spots, although I do expect Jong to be there Round 1 if he stays fit.

We bat deep !
We sure do bat deep if there's no spot for Baz in our best 22.

We sure do bat deep if there's no spot for Baz in our best 22.
I do agree with you about us batting deep ....... and then I think about our lack of finals wins/appearances over the last four years and that nagging “am I missing something “ voice starts up in my head. Maybe this year it will all come together.

I do agree with you about us batting deep ....... and then I think about our lack of finals wins/appearances over the last four years and that nagging “am I missing something “ voice starts up in my head. Maybe this year it will all come together.
We bat deep in certain areas, while seriously lacking quality in others. We have five A-grade midfielders (Bont, Dunks, Macrae, Libba and Treloar) plus Smith, McLean and Lipinski.

Meanwhile, our spine is seriously lacking. Outside of Keath and Naughton, we have no A-graders (or guys pushing A-grade) while other teams are overflowing with them. English looks insanely good at times, but is nowhere near a top level number 1 ruck. JUH hasn't played a game yet, Bruce is inconsistent as they come, and Cordy is decent but his ceiling is probably a reasonable B-grader. When there's debate over whether it's Young or Gardner who will take that other KPD spot, you know your spine is in bad shape. Neither are remotely close to AFL quality at the moment. Could get there, but it's no wonder we struggle to win a final now despite batting so deep through the middle

I realise the options for CHB are not great but I don't really want Cordy there for this coming season. He's undersized and doesn't offer much run off half back, not to mention his iffy disposal. We knew this was a problem area last season but because of limited trade and draft options there wasn't a lot we could do to address it. So it's survival of the fittest between Young and Gardner I guess with the unlikely return of Naughton to defence the only other solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back