Round 1, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the elimination final will finally convince Bevo English needs help for the next 2 years. Not to stop his development but to enhance it. Goldy is perfect the trick will be to get him without paying to much for someone of his age.

2021 team.

FB: Wood, Keath, Crozier
HF: Williams, Cordy, Daniel
C: JJ, Bont, Hunter
HF: VDM, Naughton, B.Smith
FF: Wallis, English, Bruce
R: Sweet/Trade, Macrae, Dunkley
Int: Libba, Duryea, Jong, ****

Probably a fight between Richards, Lipinski, RSmith

Make no mistake that 22nd player is a genuine weakness now that Toby is injured.

Would like that player to be a genuine pressure forward. Maybe a cheap trade like Ronke.

2021 team.

Make no mistake that 22nd player is a genuine weakness now that Toby is injured.

Would like that player to be a genuine pressure forward. Maybe a cheap trade like Ronke.
Greene and Cavarra are very similar players to Ronke, I'd argue Cav is better

2021 team.

Don’t mind that side. Probably the strongest we can take in to Rd1.

Not sure about a cheap option Ronke type for the 22nd spot though. As the above poster suggested (although I don’t agree either are better) it’d be bringing in a type of player not too dissimilar to ones we have.
We’ve got trade currency and should have cap space to go hard at someone decent. Going on what Bevo has said about being active in the trade period, it being an obvious weakness in our side and the fact we’ve tried to strengthened that spot on the ground in recent trade periods (Wingard), I’d be surprised if we weren’t at least linked to someone of substantial talent in that role.

I’m in the camp that Naughton will end up in defense eventually but think it’s too early to do that move now while we are still unsure of his capabilities as a forward. Unless in the very unlikely scenario we bring in an AA caliber key forward, I would be surprised if Naughton moves position next year.

B: Wood - Keath - Duryea
HB: Williams - Cordy - Crozier

R: (Ruck) - Dunkley - Bontempelli
C: B. Smith - Macrae - Hunter

HF: Vandermeer - Naughton - (Forward)
F: Wallis - Bruce - (Forward)

I: Daniel - Johannisen - Liberatore - English

I liked our defense for most of the year and I would be keeping it largely the same. Keath is clearly the best of the talls and I think we can only play two of the Cordy, Gardner, Wood, Lewis Young group. Williams and Crozier are the best medium sized defenders now and should stay there, think Duryea is still in our best team and would keep Daniel as a rebounding defender. I expect Daniel to get more tags next year, in which he would move into the midfield and Johannisen moves back.

I love our midfield but it’s hard to get the mix right in there. Dunkley was moved forward or ruck when he came back from injury and thought he was fine but he was elite in 2019 and have to find a way to get him back in the midfield mix. It’s hard to get Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley, Liberatore and Bailey Smith all playing inside midfield. Think Smith could me moved to a wing more often, bit like McCluggage. He would still need to attend his share of centre bounces because he’s the only one with genuine pace in that mix. Johannisen would play that wing/half forward role when not needed in the backline. I would like to see us keeping the midfield rotation simple and just playing those guys but that would mean we’d have to select actual forwards.

I don’t know how the forward line mix will work. Wallis was a standout this year, Naughton and Bruce will hopefully work better with an uninterrupted preseason to gel. Never thought he was particularly good at St Kilda but he is a much better player than what he showed this year. Wouldn’t be the first player to struggle in the first season at his new club but pick it up from year two onwards. Really liked Vandermeer’s year and he looks a natural. Last two spots are for small forwards with the same instructions that Richmond gives their smalls, just pressure and pressure and pressure, anything else is a bonus. Not sure if we have those guys on the list, would like for Cavarra, West and Weightman to get a lot more opportunities this year. I’d imagine we’ll target someone from another team as well. I don’t think Richards is that guy but I imagine he’ll get chances as well, I really like him at half back, doesn’t seem like a natural forward.

We can’t go in with English as the only ruck again next season. I don’t know who the guy is that chops out but he can’t play one out. I don’t think it can be a Preuss type who rucks 80% of the game but is completely useless outside of ruck contests, needs to be someone who compliments English who I think around the ground can be as good as any ruck in the league with his intercept marking ability and being able to be used in link up plays. I don’t want a ruck that forces English to play as a key forward who chops out here and there because I think that takes away from his best traits. Those ruckman are out there, Nankervis would be perfect with English, Lycett and Ladhams have a really good partnership at Port, just no obvious gettable ones. Nankervis was an unknown when he was picked up so maybe there is that guy around who can’t get games right now, like Coleman-Jones or Sam Hayes (I have no knowledge of their games). Obviously there is a chance that Sweet has improved his all round game that would make him an option as well.

FB: Crozier, Keath, Duryea
HB: Williams, Cordy, Daniel
C: Hunter, Macrae, JJ
HF: VDM, Naughton, ????
FF: Wallis, Bruce, ????
R: English, Bont, Libba
INT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, ????

* I see English named forward a bit, but he normally kicks goals after floating forward and grabbing it without a direct defender. He won't get that luxury playing as a full time forward, which he would need to do with Goldstein playing ruck. I'd be trying to get Bruce to slim down to play that 2nd ruck/2nd KPF role. He won't be a world beater in the ruck, but halves the contest a'la Roughy/Boyd in 2016.

* Daniel and JJ to alternate between the wing and HBF. We saw what happens when an opponent is able to exploit Daniel as a defender in the first half of the final. If that happens, he goes to the wing. JJ offers pace up the ground.

* We badly need two more best 22 forwards. A huge reason we lost last week was because Roarke etc weren't able to offer a contest. If that was 2016 Dickson, or even 2019 Lloyd, we would have won the game. I wouldn't be counting on Jamarra to play many games next year, and would be asking the question about Bruest. Isaac Smith would even allow JJ to play on a HFF which would help.

HF: VDM, Naughton, ????
FF: Wallis, Bruce, ????
INT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, ????

* I see English named forward a bit, but he normally kicks goals after floating forward and grabbing it without a direct defender. He won't get that luxury playing as a full time forward, which he would need to do with Goldstein playing ruck. I'd be trying to get Bruce to slim down to play that 2nd ruck/2nd KPF role. He won't be a world beater in the ruck, but halves the contest a'la Roughy/Boyd in 2016.

* Daniel and JJ to alternate between the wing and HBF. We saw what happens when an opponent is able to exploit Daniel as a defender in the first half of the final. If that happens, he goes to the wing. JJ offers pace up the ground.

* We badly need two more best 22 forwards. A huge reason we lost last week was because Roarke etc weren't able to offer a contest. If that was 2016 Dickson, or even 2019 Lloyd, we would have won the game. I wouldn't be counting on Jamarra to play many games next year, and would be asking the question about Bruest. Isaac Smith would even allow JJ to play on a HFF which would help.

Agree with this a lot.

I really think Bevo will put the heat on Bruce big time... mark my words bruce will have a BIG pre-seaon, and will be that 2nd ruck that we are all crying out for.

SO yes i agree we need to put all our energy and focus into two best 22 forwards plus JUH.

I would go all out for Gunston and Jack Higgins.

Agree with this a lot.

I really think Bevo will put the heat on Bruce big time... mark my words bruce will have a BIG pre-seaon, and will be that 2nd ruck that we are all crying out for.

SO yes i agree we need to put all our energy and focus into two best 22 forwards plus JUH.

SO my team would be:

HF: VDM, Naughton, GUNGSTON
FF: Wallis, Bruce, J.HIGGINS
INT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, JUH

Agree with this a lot.

Bruce had a stinker, but he still frequently bought the ball to ground, and was competitive in the ruck when needed. I think he will get some leeway for this year seeing he went without Naughton for most of the year, was in a hub with a toddler while playing for a new team, then was expecting. Would have been very tough from a personal level. A big preseason and I can see him being a 30 goal a year player in that position which would be huge.

Big yes to Gunston and Higgins. Just not sure how available either will be. Would be great to even get one decent mid/small forward. They just HAVE to be good defensively.

SO my team would be:

HF: VDM, Naughton, GUNGSTON
FF: Wallis, Bruce, J.HIGGINS
INT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, JUH
Who is J Higgins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My changes to balance the 22 better...
Macrae to half back flank. If JJ and Daniel can run around with little defensive accountability surely Macrae can too. He can make good decisions, hides his inability to score, contested handball will release Crozier, Williams on the outside and wont get mismatched due to height.

JJ and VDM on each wing. Transfer more speed around the ground.

Hunter and Daniel as half forwards. Half forwards are virtually mids these days. Hunter can still run everywhere and he can lead smartly up the ground and make space for others leads like Murphy did a long time ago. Daniel could be the best crumber going around why not do that up forward. Both have excellent short kicks for leading forwards.

I'd be playing English as a mid or behind the ball after centre bounces and Bruce to take stoppage ruck work at least in the forward half of the ground.
Give Naughton and eventually JUH room to move.

Williams Keath Duryea
Macrae Cordy Crozier

JJ English Bont VDM
Smith Dunkley

Daniel Bruce Hunter
JUH Naughton Wallis

Libba(mid) West(mid) Weightman(fwd) Richards(def)

Last edited:
Riley Garcia is a player that might come from the clouds to play a fair chunk of games next season.

Trengrove gave him a huge wrap.
I am honestly starting to convince myself that Garcia will play Round 1. Bevo suggested around 6 changes to our 22 come round 1, and Garcia has been impressing in the scratch matches.

Start of his draft year, prior to injury, he looked incredible. Outplayed Matt Rowell even. Was really highly rated in WA and likely would have gone reasonably early in the draft if given the chance to play out the full year injury free.

I'm convinced we have a gem on our hands

FB: Williams - Keath - Daniel
HB: Crozier - D - D
C: B.Smith - Macrae - Hunter
HF: Dunkley - Naughton - Vandermeer
FF: Wallis - TF - SF
FOL: English - Bont - Libba
INT: Duryea - JJ - U - U

D = 2 of Wood, Cordy, Gardner
TF = 1 of Bruce, Dale, JUH, Schache
SF = 1 of Cavarra, Richards, Weightman
U = 2 of leftovers from above, Jong, Garcia, Lipinski, West, new recruits

Last edited:
Garcia, West, Weightman, Cavarra, Johannisen, Vandermeer and Richards are all candidates to play as small forwards, problem is none of them have demonstrated an ability at AFL level in this position.

Garcia, West, Weightman, Cavarra, Johannisen, Vandermeer and Richards are all candidates to play as small forwards, problem is none of them have demonstrated an ability at AFL level in this position.
Vandermeer has shown enough for me to be excited, his injury history the only concern

We have a big problem with our forward line next year. Who's going to kick the goals? Bruce isn't. Wallis yes. Naughton isn't. Might be time to move Naughton back and bring in a new forward in the trade period. Just brainstorming.

We have a big problem with our forward line next year. Who's going to kick the goals? Bruce isn't. Wallis yes. Naughton isn't. Might be time to move Naughton back and bring in a new forward in the trade period. Just brainstorming.

I don't think our forward line issues are as dire as people make out to be. Absolutely yes we need a personel change to probably 2 or so players. But for how elite our midfield is we are 11th in clearances. If we actually improved our centre clearances (with the addition of a solid ruck), we would get more quick ball into forward 50 with more one on ones.

Instead we generate a lot of our forward 50 entries from half back, allowing opposition to get added numbers back in defence.

Want to see our forward line get better? Taking Naughton out does the direct opposite. If anything we need to add another A grade gun to the fold.

English spending 70% time forward could also be a significant improve on our firepower. If we can't find an elite small forward from somewhere then we need to rely on marking the ball more inside forward 50. We need 3 tall forwards. Not 2 which we currently have. Rourke smith basically played at half forward all game and was horrendous. A tall marking target to replace him would have been a gigantic upgrade.

I think you have to take Garcia and Weightman there out of your candidate list. Garcia with no debut yet, Weightman only 2 games, not enough chances to demonstrate anything.
Cavarra's the highest potential compared to the rest, but I agree we need a proven one ASAP

Were Butler's games more just a taste for his development or is there a feeling he could actually press for your 1sts consistently next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back