B:Williams Keath JJ
HB: Daniel Cordy Crozier

Treloar Macrae Hunter
Martin Dunkley BSmith

HF:Bontempelli English Hannan
F:Wallis Naughton Jamarra

Int: Libba, Duryea, Vandermeer, Jong

Emerg: Garcia, West, Wood

If we end up trading out Dunkley after all I'd bring in Garcia or West.

At least that's my first take. There might be an opportunity for Bevo to try something totally different with such a stacked midfield (and if anyone's up for a revolutionary idea I reckon Bevo would be).

Perhaps something along the lines of the Dutch "Total Football" idea of the 1970s.

I'm surprised to see Bruce is still in most teams in this thread.
Fact is, he statistically plays his best footy at Marvel. Although not entirely responsible, Covid19 contributed to the lack of contribution Bruce had on the field this year. I'm quietly confident he'll turn things around. He's too good of a player not to.

I'm surprised to see Bruce is still in most teams in this thread.
Kicked 36 goals the year before in a team that finished in the bottom 4. 2 less than Sam Lloyd in 2019. Thought he would be a 40+ goalkicker but he didn't become that this season for numerous reasons.

Wallis English Vandemeer
JJ Bruce Treloar
Macrae Bont Hunter
Daniel Keath Crozier
Williams Naughton Cordy
R: Martin, Smith, Libba

Int: Dunkley, Jong, Richards, Duryea

If we play 2 rucks I like Naughton back. Covers our main weakness. Shaping up to be a very solid 22.

*Wood and Lipinski very stiff.

FB: Williams Keath Crozier
HB: JJ Gardner Daniel
C: Smith Macrae Hunter
HF: Bontempelli Naughton JUH
FF: Wallis Bruce Vandermeer
R: English Dunkley Treloar
IC: Richards, Libba, Cordy, Martin

Emergency: Wood, Lipinski, Duryea, West

I'm aware I've picked Gardner at CHB but I'll back him to keep improving. Wood or Cordy get the final spot on the bench. I'll also back Bruce to to get back into form.

It's a bloody hard team to pick everyone in but there will always be injuries to make it easier. Richards & VDM will be our quick pressure forwards and I hope both can make a scoreboard impact next year. You can always drop one of Martin (won't play every game), Bruce or JUH to make way for an extra runner like a West, Weightman, Lipinski or Garcia.

B.Williams Z.Cordy E.Wood

H.Crozier A.Keath C.Daniel

L.Hunter M.Bontempelli J.Johannisen

M.Hannan A.Naughton J.Dunkley

J.Ugle T.English M.Wallis

S.Martin J.Macrae A.Treloar

T.Liberatore T.Duryea J.Bruce B.Smith

emerg- R.West R.Gardner E.Richards P.Lipinski

Have midfield rotate through forward bench and wings. Stef swap with Bruce on the bench roll Tim into the ruck

FB: Williams Keath Wood

HB: Daniel Cordy Crozier

C: Hunter Smith Treloar

HF: Hannan Bruce Vandermeer

FF: Wallis Naughton English

R: Martin Bont Macrae

INT: Libba JJ Dunkley Richards

Depth: Lipinski Jamarra West Duryea Gardner Weightman Jong Dale Schache

Can’t bloody wait!

This is the only reason I wasn't so keen on both Dunkley and Treloar. Don't get me wrong, Power did an amazing job, in fact a ******* brilliant job, but look at this:
FB: Wood, Young, Keath
HB: Williams, Cordy, Crozier
C: Daniel, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF: Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Hannan
FOL: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
INT: Dunkley, Johannisen, Duryea, English

How are we supposed to fit them all in, without them diluting our already dysfunctional forward line? Would have liked a genuine small forward, but lets hope Hannan can apply enough pressure up there for the time being.

B: Williams - Keath - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Crozier - Wood
C: Johannisen - Treloar - Hunter
HF: Vandermeer - Bontempelli - Dunkley
F: Wallis - Naughton - Hannan
R: Martin - Macrae - Smith
I: Liberatore - Richards - English - Gardner

Think Weightman will be immensely important to the lineup and I sincerely hope that he will be able to have an impact next year. I think we really need another small forward in that side, but I couldn't pick him over anyone else just yet. Think Libba will be important inside 50 next year. Gardner's needed against any three-pronged tall forward line - if not, then he probably makes way for a Duryea type.

I don't mind the idea of rolling one forward up to every stoppage, largely because we're likely to have 2 genuine midfielders up forward at any one time. Having any 4 of Macrae, Bontempelli, Dunkley, Treloar, Smith, or Liberatore plus Martin attending stoppages could give us a massive clearance differential. Macrae, Treloar and Smith should be our first-choice midfield group in my opinion. Not necessarily our most powerful but the most important for team balance and makes us more speedy out of centre bounces.

I think Treloar on a wing is wishful thinking, I don't know if he's ever played there in his AFL career and it's not something you can intuitively pick up. I'd prefer a classic 3-way wing rotation - Hunter, JJ, Richards.

Martin and English should get a fairly equal ruck/forward rotation although I'd love to see English float down back.

I doubt Ugle-Hagan will be ready for AFL footy anytime soon, and we have no need to rush him.

Otherwise, would love to see Lipinski, West, Dale, Schache, Bruce, Duryea, Jong, Butler challenge for spots. For me, McLean would be a walk-up start if fit given how important he was this year.

What's the expectation for Toby McLean in 2021?

Are ACLs 9 or 12 month things these days? If 9 months then he could reasonably be back for the last 6-8 weeks the H&A season (presumably through the VFL). Or are we all just assuming the season is a write-off and get him right for March 2022?

People take out Gardner from the line up. We did not get any KPD this trade, so like it/not I think Gardner will be in best 22 at the expense of Cordy (I hope Wood is the one with less field time)
Addition of Treloar actually suppress the emergence of Garcia and West. I know both are future, but can't wait to see Garcia in action
Libba is extremely important, but can he play week in week out if AFL back to normal time? Dunks certainly can fill the gap, but his quality is not for backup
Can Dunkley defense ? He's now seriously utility in midfield.
And we need Bont in the mid please.

Wow, can imagine the headache Bevo & match committee would have. Maybe:

FB: Williams Keath Cordy
HB: Daniel Gardner Crozier
C: Hunter Smith Treloar
HF: Hannan Bruce Vandermeer
FF: Wallis Naughton JUH
R: English Bont Macrae
INT: Libba JJ Wood Martin

Until March 2021 seems take forever now

Any thought on further delisting?

Following Richmonds success, speed is king!

FB: Wood Keath Crozier
HB: Duryea Naughton Williams
C: Daniel Macrae Hunter
HF: JJ Bontempelli Vandermeer
FF: Wallis English JUH
R: Martin Treloar Smith
IC: Dunkley, Libba, Hannan, Richards

Stronger backline and more pace across the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce loses weight and plays CHB or he does not get a game. Can't see Bevo moving Naughton to the backline. The competition for midfield and non key position players is immense. If Martin and English work well the only weakness is A quality talls. Potentially we have 2 Astronaught and Juggernaught (JUH).

This is the only reason I wasn't so keen on both Dunkley and Treloar. Don't get me wrong, Power did an amazing job, in fact a ******* brilliant job, but look at this:
FB: Wood, Young, Keath
HB: Williams, Cordy, Crozier
C: Daniel, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF: Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Hannan
FOL: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
INT: Dunkley, Johannisen, Duryea, English

How are we supposed to fit them all in, without them diluting our already dysfunctional forward line? Would have liked a genuine small forward, but lets hope Hannan can apply enough pressure up there for the time being.

Not playing 9 defenders and not playing them out of position would be a start.

6 Players in the backline, Daniel on the wing and 2 more on the bench? Clean that mess up and our stacked midfield slots in nicely.

Not playing 9 defenders and not playing them out of position would be a start.

6 Players in the backline, Daniel on the wing and 2 more on the bench? Clean that mess up and our stacked midfield slots in nicely.
And who do we take out then? And why can Daniel not play on the wing like he did in the final? Pretty good indication of whats to come I'd say.

Wood Keath Croz
Daniel Cordy Williams

Treloar Libba Hunter
Martin Bont Macrae

Vander Schache JJ
English Naughty Wallis

Smith, Dunkley midfield rotations, one of Richards/Hannan/Dale 7th forward, one of Richards/Dureya 7th defender.

That’s my best team, and I rate it very very highly.

Wood Keath Croz
Daniel Cordy Williams

Treloar Libba Hunter
Martin Bont Macrae

Vander Schache JJ
English Naughty Wallis

Smith, Dunkley midfield rotations, one of Richards/Hannan/Dale 7th forward, one of Richards/Dureya 7th defender.

That’s my best team, and I rate it very very highly.
Schache is gawwwn. Will be Bruce.

B: Crozier Keath Williams
HB: Daniel Naughton Wood
C: Hunter McRae Treloar
HF: JUH Bruce Smith
F: Wallis English VDM

R: Martin Bont Dunkley

INT: Libba, JJ, West, Jong

* McLean

Depth: Hannan, Weightman, Duryea, Richards, Lipinski, Dale, Garcia, Schache, Young, Gardiner

Unbelievably strong side on paper. No weaknesses with Naughton going back. Bruce needs to pull his finger out.

Just need Bevo to sprinkle the secret herbs and spices and we have allot to look forward to in 2021.

And who do we take out then? And why can Daniel not play on the wing like he did in the final? Pretty good indication of whats to come I'd say.

In your OP you had issues with the fact that we may struggle to fit all our mids in, but you have added to those issues by playing so many defenders and playing some in positions better suited to midfielders.

Young comes out straight off the bat.

Although Daniel can play multiple roles, if you have issues finding room for genuine mids, he doesn’t play on a wing.

Also can’t see all of Duryea, Wood and Crozier playing. Unless JJ misses, which may happen.

If we’re having trouble finding room for our mids, lining up way you have suggested adds to it. Badly. That’s all I’m saying.

In your OP you had issues with the fact that we may struggle to fit all our mids in, but you have added to those issues by playing so many defenders and playing some in positions better suited to midfielders.

Young comes out straight off the bat.

Although Daniel can play multiple roles, if you have issues finding room for genuine mids, he doesn’t play on a wing.

Also can’t see all of Duryea, Wood and Crozier playing. Unless JJ misses, which may happen.

If we’re having trouble finding room for our mids, lining up way you have suggested adds to it. Badly. That’s all I’m saying.
So then does the issue become how can we fit all our half backs in? I don't really think it matters whichever way you spin it, our list, and more evidently our best 22 is quite unbalanced. Treloar has added to this problem, and I'm not so sure we end up much better off with him in (if not worse). Young also plays IMO, it's either him or Gardner and I know which way I'm leaning. Bevo has suggested on many occasions he wants 3 key backs.
Whats your best 22?

So then does the issue become how can we fit all our half backs in? I don't really think it matters whichever way you spin it, our list, and more evidently our best 22 is quite unbalanced. Treloar has added to this problem, and I'm not so sure we end up much better off with him in (if not worse). Young also plays IMO, it's either him or Gardner and I know which way I'm leaning. Bevo has suggested on many occasions he wants 3 key backs.
Whats your best 22?

I don’t fully agree that our list is unbalanced. I think our 22 was unbalanced at times last season due to injuries and Bevo deciding to not pick players he thought weren’t up to it.

There was definitely a logjam of defenders in the side come the back end of the season but again I think injuries played a part and when injured players returned, they weren’t replacing other defenders. Likely due to the fact Bevo wanted to continue decent form which our other defenders had at the time.

I think/hope we’ll see a more settled line up come Rd1 next season. We could have more pieces of the puzzle in place with Martin and Hannan on board, players returning from injury and we also see a bit of outside pace in Treloar.

B Wood Keith Crozier
HB Daniel Cordy Williams
C Smith Treloar Hunter
HF Jong Naughts Libba
FF Wallis Bruce Garcia
R English Bont Macrae
I Dunks Martin Hannan JJ

I hadn’t been overly keen to see an extra ruck come in just as a chop out, but assuming it happens I’m warming to the idea of Martin getting minutes with English giving an option up fwd.

I think our defence is more balanced with 2 key backs and Cordy and Keith get the nod, but apart from that I don’t think much else needs to change.

Our midfield slot in nicely without McLean and Lipi in the side. Although not all are overly accurate, all bar Macrae get regular shots at goal so I think the rotations fwd, for most, can work well.
The only possible grey area is the opposite wing where I’d like like Smith and Treloar to rotate through, giving us decent pace. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Fwd line has a decent spread of key position, leading options and small to mid sized pressure players. Jong, Wallis and resting mids (Libba, Bont, Dunks, Treloar, Smith) can all be pretty dangerous inside 50 and coupled with new inclusions Garcia and Hannan I think it gives us a well balanced and pretty dangerous fwd set up.
Although he had an underwhelming 2020 I still think there’s a some really good football ahead for Bruce also and I think having the extra key fwd means we don’t have to rely on a Bont playing too many minutes up their to accomodate English’s ruck minutes (Martin isn’t a fwds a-hole).

Highly unlikely we see this lineup, but I think it’s well balanced, plenty of rotation options and gives us a pretty strong set up across all lines. Would love to see it come Rd1 next season.

Edit: If we find that we aren’t functioning over well with that many talls in the middle/fwd half, I would drop Bruce and have English and Bont playing the second tall fwd role when Martin playing ruck minutes.
Again, not overly keen on wasting a field players position to accomodate an extra rucks minutes but it’ll work if we get the rotations right.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back