Remove this Banner Ad

B: Wood Cordy Crozier

HB: Daniel Keath JJ

C: Treloar Dunkley Hunter

HF: Smith English VDM

F: Wallis Naughton Hannan

Foll: Martin Bont Macrae

Int: Libba, Williams, Dureya, Jamarra

Not the most ideal forward line but all are quick and nimble (bar Wallis but hes the best tackler) so I think we shouldn't be letting that ball out of our 50 so easily. I like English spending more time forward and if we keep Naughts back can't see Bruce in the mean unless Martin is rested/injured.
Not sure if Treloar is much of a wingman but I think he's going to have to play a lot more outside with us, still a major upgrade on a Lipinksi, Rourke and Richards.

B: Wood Keath Daniel
HB: Crozier Naughton Williams
C: Hunter Dunkley Treloar
HF: Bont Bruce Hannan
FF: JUH English Wallis

R: Martin Macrae Smith

I/C: Libba, JJ, Vandermeer, Duryea,

E: Lipinski, West, Jong, Cordy, Schache, Weightman.

B: Wood, Keath, Crozier
HB: Daniel, Cordy, Williams
R: Martin, Smith, Macrae
C: Hunter, Bontempelli, Treloar
HF: Wallis, Bruce, Vandermeer
FF: English, Naughton, Hannan
IC: Liberatore, Jong, Johannisen, Lipinski
EMG: Duryea, Richards, West, Ugle-Hagan, Cavarra/Dale

INJ: McLean

Bruce/Ugle-Hagan is a coinflip.
Wood and Duryea fight for same spot. Could rest one of them some weeks them depending on opposition forward line.
Lipinski only sneaks in cause of McLean injury.

This is the only reason I wasn't so keen on both Dunkley and Treloar. Don't get me wrong, Power did an amazing job, in fact a ******* brilliant job, but look at this:
FB: Wood, Young, Keath
HB: Williams, Cordy, Crozier
C: Daniel, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF: Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Hannan
FOL: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
INT: Dunkley, Johannisen, Duryea, English

How are we supposed to fit them all in, without them diluting our already dysfunctional forward line? Would have liked a genuine small forward, but lets hope Hannan can apply enough pressure up there for the time being.

Good side
I agree 3 talls back is a must
Some of the extra back-men will have to play forward or bench

A lot of posts suggesting Bont spends more time forward but surely having Naughton, Bruce, English and Bont all in the forward line at the same time is too top heavy (before even thinking about JUH).

I can see a structure where Bont is played on-ball around 60% game time aligned with Martin being in the ruck and then moves forward when English moves into the ruck.

This of course assumes a two ruck structure and both Naughton and Bruce playing forward which may not be the plan.

Really interested if Bev looks to move Naughton to the backline. If he prefers to play back, i'm more than happy to start the season with him there and see how he looks. Helps our weakest position and sorts out our fwd line from getting too top heavy with English, Bruce, JUH and possibly Bont playing down there.

Naughton is an X factor on either end and looked great down back when he was there.

FB: Williams, Keath, Crozier
HB: Daniel, Cordy, wood
C: Macrae, Treloar, Hunter
HF: VDM, bruce, bont
FF: Wallis, naughton, Hannan
R: English, Libba, dunkley
Int: jj, (maclean)richards, Smith, schache

Depending on the game I'd play steph martin instead of schache (against grundy gawn nic nat the saints) otherwise I'd rotate Bruce schache and English forward ruck

Williams, keath, cordy
Daniel, wood, crozier
Treloar,Dunkley, Hunter
Bont, Bruce, Vandameer,
Naughton, English, Wallis
Martin, B.Smith, Macrae
JJ, Libba, Duryea, Hannan

Emg richards, young, jong, dale.

Interesting that many sides have just the 2 tall defenders (Keath and Cordy). I think that approach forces us to play Gardner or Wood to provide flexibility, and although Easton occasionally rolls back the years, I don’t think either are good enough. Cordy and Keath are undersized as FB’s. So either Young gets an extended run, or Naughton comes back. Then for me, we pick the best side as opposed to the best players. That means some good players miss out.

FB: Williams, Young, Keath
HB: Daniel, Cordy, Crozier
C: Treloar, Hunter, Macrae
HF: Hannan, English, VDM
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Bruce
R: Martin, Bont, Liberatore
Int: Dunks, Smith, Duryea, West

Fascinating that this forward line comprises of a ruckman, 2 key defenders, a winger, and an inside mid. Only Hannan qualifies as a genuine forward. And here for me is our most pressing problem. Our forward craft is non existent .........

The team I’d pick
B: Crozier Naughton Wood
HB: Johannisen Keath Williams
C: Hunter Macrae Treloar
HF: Vandermeer Ugle-Hagan Daniel
F: Wallis Bruce English
R: Martin Bontempelli Liberatore
INT: Dunkley B. Smith Duryea Richards

B: Wood Keath Crozier
HB: Daniel Cordy Williams
C: JJ Macrae Hunter
HF: Bont Naughts VDM
FF: Wallis Bruce Hannan
R: Martin Smith Treloar
I: Dunks English Libba Lippa

Depth: JUH, West, Duryea, Weightman, Cavarra, Jong, Richards, Gardner, Schache, Dale. Suckling & Lloyd are cooked.

Defence looks solid, as long as they continue to function well as a cohesive unit and Cordy isn't isolated too much.

Rotate our endless mids endlessly through the centre square, half-forward and the bench so they're fresh af for the entire game and just stay in continual beast mode as we monster teams through sheer weight of contested possession differentials. JJ needs to train with Hunter all summer and get his fitness to supreme levels so he can scorch up and down that wing.

Still can't quite believe the quality that doesn't make this team, but that's what happens when you win trade week and don't bring in spuds. If Jong stays fit I want him on a wing/bench, but Lippa looks ready to take that next step. If not, I feel he'll be traded out next year unless he can make the wing/forward pocket role his, which is doubtful as he's an inside mid at heart. Such an embarrassment of riches it doesn't really matter. Kinda like Geelong trading Caddy out. We just have to make it work for us. Confident Sammy Power will get that sorted.

What really excites me is that we can now (Martin's fitness notwithstanding) use English as the unstoppable utility he was born to be, forward and back, and unleash Bont forward more to really alter the dynamics of our forward line.

Bruce's spot is dependent on his fitness and application. Naughton is the most promising forward in the game and with a full pre-season there will settle the debate once and for all, now he'll have English, Bont, an improved Bruce, and soon JUH to take the heat off him. West/Cav/Weightman could get in Round 1, dependent on progression and form. Really need one of them to step up, as our forward line is simply too slow.

Sincerely hope we trade out a Schache, Dale or similar in this supposed mini trade period if we can get something of value in return to help us find a dangerous high-pressure small forward.

Still... that's a Top 4 side if I've ever seen one. Can't wait for Marra to be unleashed <3

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we move more from looking for stability across the team to bring more flexible - still based on playing to our strengths (midfield movement) but nullifying the strengths other have.

So if we play Port Adelaide, Richmond, Geelong - where monster full forwards can expose our smaller defence -!out team could look like this:

FB: Williams Bruce Cordy

HB: Wood Keath Crozier

R: Martin Bont Libba
C: Trelor Macrae Hunter

HF: JUH Naughton Daniel

FF: Hannan English Wallis

Int: Dunkley, JJ, Smith, VDM

- Bruce is our only big bodied KPP other than Trengrove and has played defence and would be tough enough to have a real crack at Charlie (Tomahawk or Lynch). If he can add an ability to go backwards he value goes through the roof .

- Daniel drops back to 7th defender

- When English goes into the ruck Bont goes forward

For other teams we go for just Cordy and Keath and mover Bruce forward and try and spread them ourselves.

For others Naughton going back could be the answer - eg Westcoast where we cover Kennedy, Darling, Allen, and they have some other tall forwards as well.

Many have Treloar on the wing. I’d have Hunter a natural winger and gut runner on one wing and Bailey Smith, fit and fast on the other. Treloar in the very middle.

B: Crozier Keath Williams
HB: Daniel Naughton Wood
C: Hunter McRae Treloar
HF: JUH Bruce Smith
F: Wallis English VDM

R: Martin Bont Dunkley

INT: Libba, JJ, West, Jong

* McLean

Depth: Hannan, Weightman, Duryea, Richards, Lipinski, Dale, Garcia, Schache, Young, Gardiner

Unbelievably strong side on paper. No weaknesses with Naughton going back. Bruce needs to pull his finger out.

Just need Bevo to sprinkle the secret herbs and spices and we have allot to look forward to in 2021.

I like this team.
I really think the team looks stronger and better balanced with Naughton at CHB.

I have said before I think he can be a Harry Taylor type player- mainly defence but can swing forward at times.
(Rather than mainly forward and swing to defence at times.)

Having English playing a lot forward makes the Naughton to defence move seem sensible.

This team is strong on all lines and the depth is considerable.

KM

I'm as excited about JUH as anyone, but I feel like having him in the team R1 may be a bit much.

The kid missed his entire U18 season, surely giving him a couple of VFL matches to find his feet competing against men is a prudent move.
Thats what preseason games are for! If the kid is as good as all he express are saying then he will play.

Was speaking to one of my mates who goes for Collingwood, he reckons Treloar should be a lock on the wing. Was basically saying he got picked up as that outside mid but Collingwood had Sidebottom/Phillips/Daicos so he was put more inside.

Think we need to lock him on the opposite wing to Hunter and rotate him and Smith.

What id love to see:

B: Crozier Keath Cordy
HB: Williams Naughton Richards
C: Treloar Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Wallis Bruce Vandermeer
F: JUH English Hannan
R: Martin Dunkley Macrae
Int: Libba BSmith JJ Daniel

Daniel swapping on the wing/on ball/forward.
English swapping with Martin. Martin rests bench and Bruce/Wallis goes deep.

Last edited:
What id love to see:

B: Crozier Keath Cordy
HB: Williams Naughton Richards
C: Treloar Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Wallis Bruce Vandermeer
F: JUH English Hannan
R: Martin Dunkley B.Smith
Int: Libba Duryea JJ Daniel

Daniel swapping on the wing/on ball/forward.
English swapping with Martin. Martin rests bench and Bruce/Wallis goes deep.

Macrae will get 50 in the twos mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back