Round 1, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think we will do much trading as I don’t think we have the tools to make deals happen so with a few changes how do people HOPE we roll out next year in round 1. Also allowing for the fact Bev won’t recruit another ruck so no point putting two in the team

My team is below

Duryea Keath Crozier
Williams. Naughton Richards
McRae. Libba. JJ
Smith Gunston Hunter
JUH. Bruce Wallis
English. Bont Dunks
Garcia. Cordy Daniel. VDM

One trade and Cordy as second ruck to help

I don’t think we will do much trading as I don’t think we have the tools to make deals happen so with a few changes how do people HOPE we roll out next year in round 1. Also allowing for the fact Bev won’t recruit another ruck so no point putting two in the team

My team is below

Duryea Keath Crozier
Williams. Naughton Richards
McRae. Libba. JJ
Smith Gunston Hunter
JUH. Bruce Wallis
English. Bont Dunks
Garcia. Cordy Daniel. VDM

One trade and Cordy as second ruck to help

JUH might be a good prospect but with his body type I doubt he's going to get much of a go early next year. Still a big gangly kid.

JUH might be a good prospect but with his body type I doubt he's going to get much of a go early next year. Still a big gangly kid.

Yep but I would still be getting games into him

Not winning anything next year imo so develop the kids

Crozier Keath Cordy
Williams Naughton Daniel
VDM McRae Hunter
West JUH Smith
Wallis English Weightman
Sweet Bont Dunks
I/C Libba, JJ, Jong, Duryea

I’m coming around to the idea of Naughton going back.
We need to play another ruckman but Bevo doesn’t role this way.
English deep forward and back up ruck is his ideal spot.

Bruce was awful this year. Wood I’m not too sure about anymore. Richards, Lipinski still too hit and miss.

Crozier Keath Cordy
Williams Naughton Daniel
VDM McRae Hunter
West JUH Smith
Wallis English Weightman
Sweet Bont Dunks
I/C Libba, JJ, Jong, Duryea

I’m coming around to the idea of Naughton going back.
We need to play another ruckman but Bevo doesn’t role this way.
English deep forward and back up ruck is his ideal spot.

Bruce was awful this year. Wood I’m not too sure about anymore. Richards, Lipinski still too hit and miss.
Think Bruce needs to drop 5+kg and one of he or naughton need to go to defence.
If we trade in gunston as MD has suggested all three can play forward or back.

FB: Crozier - Keath - Williams
HB: Richards - Naughton - X
C: Hunter - Macrae - Daniel
HF: JUH - Cordy - Weightman
FF: Wallis - Bruce - Cavarra

C: English - Bont - Smith

Int: X - Dunkley - Vandermeer - Libba

The forward line is dogshit, might as well give opportunity to Weightman, JUH and Cavarra.
The two X spots would be Cordy/Gardner and someone else (probably Duryea/JJ). Tough to decide what I want to see at this stage, my main interest is building a competent forward line

Naughton being back or forward seems irrelevant at this stage if we continue to defend so high that if the opposition get through or create turnover they can just run unopposed into the goal-square, offside style. It’s opposition smalls that get us these days, often with an outnumber over the back. We could have SOS back there and it wouldn’t help. So we may as well play Naughton forward.

FB: Crozier Keath Duryea
HB: Williams Cordy Daniel
C: Smith Macrea Hunter
HF: Dunkley Bruce JJ
FF: Wallis Naughton -
R: English Libba Bont
INT: West VDM - -

It’s a bit of a cop out, but I’ve left the last 2 bench spots and the pressure forward role that we don’t currently have. It would be great if JUH presses for selection R1, but who knows at this stage.

FB: Crozier - Keath - Williams
HB: Richards - Naughton - X
C: Hunter - Macrae - Daniel
HF: JUH - Cordy - Weightman
FF: Wallis - Bruce - Cavarra

C: English - Bont - Smith

Int: X - Dunkley - Vandermeer - Libba

The forward line is dogshit, might as well give opportunity to Weightman, JUH and Cavarra.
The two X spots would be Cordy/Gardner and someone else (probably Duryea/JJ). Tough to decide what I want to see at this stage, my main interest is building a competent forward line

I think Naughton has to go back too, comparing us to other finals teams, their key back stocks are just so far superior and defense wins flags.

seeing HarrisAndrews single handedky s**t down Richmond’s defense last Friday was unreal and I reckon Naughton has that capacity.

if Bruce trims down (which he better!) he could partner with JUH or Scache up froward next year. English could also play as a forward-ruck ifwe land another ruckman (though I doubt it)

Crozier Keath Williams
Daniel Naughton Johannisen
Hunter Bontempelli Jong
VDM Ugle-Hagan Garcia
Cavarra Bruce Wallis
English Macrae Smith

I/C: Libba, Dunkley, O’Halloran (Richards if we can’t land him), Duryea

I change my mind every time I do a squad. All I know is I wouldn't be playing English one out in the ruck for atleast 12 months.
I'd prefer English to be the side kick if we were to go with the two rucks, predominantly full forward for English with one of Bruce or naughton to defence.
The rest is very difficult depending on who we can afford to bring in

If we could get Goldstein and Tim and combine that with a injury free Naughton up forward and a generational player in JUH and a glaring weakness of 2020 becomes a strength in 2021.

Pardon the intrusion but what happened to Fergus Greene?
I remember he tore richmond a new one in like r23 a couple of years ago.
Has he been injured or not developed as i expected he would?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I'd be dirty if I was Naughton and after two years spent trying to learn how to be a forward they abruptly put me back into the role I always thought I'd be - an intercept-marking, mobile tall defender.

I wasn't the only one who said that Naughton's career as a defender will suffer if Bevo persists too long with the forward experiment and then gives up and says, "naah, I think you're a defender after all". Some in the media said it too.

I know having time up forward can help defenders learn how a forward thinks and moves. However two years is too long for that part of a defender's education. Two years takes a lot out of his mainstream learning - how to execute the skills of a defender against smart seasoned KPFs.

I was a founding member of the "send Naughton back to defence" mob but now that we've gone this far we'd better stick it out. He could still be a 50 goal forward with an injury free run next year. (Unless they persist with 16 minute quarters and 17 round seasons, of course - if they do that then 50 will be the new 100. Hawkins was the only player to crack 40 this year).

And before anybody jumps to conclusions, I'm not saying he can't ever become an AA defender after this experiment up forward. I think he is so talented that he could succeed at either end. I just think we now have to see it out for at least another year as a forward. If he is only so-so as a forward in 2021 (as he was this year) and JUH turns out to be the Second Coming and we can find some other handy KPF (say Bruce, Schache or English) then maybe 2022 is the year Naughton goes back to the position he was born for.

Pardon the intrusion but what happened to Fergus Greene?
I remember he tore richmond a new one in like r23 a couple of years ago.
Has he been injured or not developed as i expected he would?
You may be thinking of Brad Lynch.

Greene has played only 5 games including one against Richmond (yes, Rd 23) where he had 4 kicks and kicked a goal. Lynch played in the same game and kicked 2.1 (including a poster I think). Neither has played since then. In Greene's case he has been troubled by injuries. Lynch has just lost form as far as I know. I don't expect him to survive the cull this year.

Most of us still like Greene and he kicked a few bags of 3-4 goals in the scratch matches this year without getting any further than being named emergency. I expect he'll stay on the list but it depends on how deep we have to cut.

You may be thinking of Brad Lynch.

Greene has played only 5 games including one against Richmond (yes, Rd 23) where he had 4 kicks and kicked a goal. Lynch played in the same game and kicked 2.1 (including a poster I think). Neither has played since then. In Greene's case he has been troubled by injuries. Lynch has just lost form as far as I know. I don't expect him to survive the cull this year.

Most of us still like Greene and he kicked a few bags of 3-4 goals in the scratch matches this year without getting any further than being named emergency. I expect he'll stay on the list but it depends on how deep we have to cut.
Yep mustve been Lynch. It was the one that hit the post or something from the boundary to win the game.

Yep mustve been Lynch. It was the one that hit the post or something from the boundary to win the game.
Yeah that was Brad - I reckon him kicking that would've genuinely changed the course of his career, for he'd been playing some pretty decent footy at the back end of that year and the confidence boost kicking the winner against the minor premiers would've given him would have been huge, but for whatever reason he had a very average 2019 in the reserves and was apparently no better this year - shame, cause he had some attributes we could've used yesterday
Fergus is a crafty goal sneak with great forward pressure who's had a pretty tough run with injuries, there's been a few times in his career where he's kicked a bag in the ressies and been citied as a possible in/emergency and he's gone down with an injury the next weekend. I reckon we'll give him one last crack at it next year, cause he's got some attributes we definitely could've used yesterday. Very similar player to Tory Dickson iirc

Yeah that was Brad - I reckon him kicking that would've genuinely changed the course of his career, for he'd been playing some pretty decent footy at the back end of that year and the confidence boost kicking the winner against the minor premiers would've given him would have been huge, but for whatever reason he had a very average 2019 in the reserves and was apparently no better this year - shame, cause he had some attributes we could've used yesterday
Fergus is a crafty goal sneak with great forward pressure who's had a pretty tough run with injuries, there's been a few times in his career where he's kicked a bag in the ressies and been citied as a possible in/emergency and he's gone down with an injury the next weekend. I reckon we'll give him one last crack at it next year, cause he's got some attributes we definitely could've used yesterday. Very similar player to Tory Dickson iirc
Yep Greene impressed me in that Richmond game and Ive heard good things about him a while back.
Keen to see how he goes, hope he gets another year

Moving Naughton back and replacing him with a first season kid who’s barely played any football for 12 months, would be a catastrophic decision.

Naughton has 4 surgeries in 12 months. He’s going to be way better in 2021.

Let’s say Naughton does play back. It’s also just going to continue our issue of having Crozier, Richards etc playing out of position.
If we are going to lose the high ball battle in defensive 50 we may as well go with a smaller rebound heavy setup.
Cordy and Keath only and then have English push back.

We need a ruckman who’s brought in against the strong ruck sides. We can get away with English against Essendon, GWS etc but not against Collingwood/st Kilda etc. That’s when Bruce/JUH will need to be rested.

Main changes I'd be making:

1. Find a ruck. Anybody will do. Even if it's just saying to Trengove or Bruce "this is your job in 2021 - halve the contests if you can, just don't give them a free hit out to advantage". Otherwise find some AFL cast-off or state league player who will just make a contest. A Ben Hudson type would be great. Mobility would be a desirable trait, but consider it a bonus.
2. Make English a 65% KPF (or KPD) and 35% ruck.
3. Persist with Daniel off half back knowing that he makes an equally effective on-baller if they put a hard tag on him.
4. Trade Lipinski - he's not far off his ceiling IMO
5. Trade Dale - I doubt we'll ever see a return to his late 2019 flourish of goals
6. Trade Lewis Young while we can - has potential but we aren't going to pick him so why hold a place for him on the list?
7. Keep Schache while he's on contract (to 2021) - who knows? something may click.
8. Delist Lynch, Suckling, Sweet, Khamis, Porter
9. Meh/depth: Hayes, Gowers, Gardner, Lloyd (only because he's contracted to 2021)
10. Select when available: McLean
11. Retired: Dickson (maybe Suckling too?)
12. I'd keep Trengove but Bevo obviously doesn't favour him so maybe we delist him too.

That's 9 or 10 off the list with a few more we could cut in October 2021 if we need to make extra space then.

We know all of that's not going to happen of course, but that's what I'd do.

ROUND 1
Defenders
Duryea-Keath-Williams
Crozier-Cordy-Daniel

Midfield
Hunter-Macrae-Liberatore
<Bruce or Trengove>-Bont-Dunkley

Forwards
Vandermeer-English-BSmith
JUH-Naughton-Wallis

Interchange:
Johannisen, Jong,
plus two out of Wood, West, Butler, Weightman, Richards, Cavarra, Greene, R Smith, Garcia, La Young

So I'm for keeping Naughton forward. As Dogwatch said he could be a 50 goal forward as long as he can stay on the park and have a decent run with injuries, and such players don't come along very often. He can mark on the lead, in the air and he strikes the set shot kicks very well. He has some good goal sense and plays on instinct.

English is too talented to play in the twos, but we have to accept that he still needs physical development, whether that be core strength, power, weight, or whatever else he needs to be competitive. He's done well as a forward whenever he's pushed down there, and marks better on the lead than filling the hole. He plays as a majority forward next year and takes the ruck inside 50.

So, we go the three talls as permanent forwards with Bruce, Naughton and English. Train this way over summer and get some spacing and cohesion down forward.

Trade in Shai Bolton from Richmond. Exactly what we need. Has speed and skill and a bit of elusiveness.

Oh, and Bont plays mid and high on the fwd flank for good measure.

FF: English Bruce Wallis
HF: Bolton Naughton Bontempelli
I/C: Vandermeer

Centre line. Well Daniel just simply has to go into the middle. He's going to take some hits, but the time has come where he can't just hide on a back flank. If he's our best kick he should be hitting targets inside f50, not at half back.

C: Hunter Daniel Macrae
I/C Johanissen

The backline....I'm not going to make any changes here really. I'm going to back Gardner and Keath to continue to improve.

FB: Cordy Keath Dureya
HB: Crozier Wood Williams
I/C Gardner

Lewis Young probably gets traded to Adelaide.

The million dollar question is the ruck. We need a man-mountain type and someone physical. I'm thinking we trade for Preuss if Sweet doesn't come on. He's 25 and aggressive. He just needs to break even and that would be a win. If we made a prelim this year we'd maybe go for Goldstein but we're not in topping up mode yet by any means.

FOLL: Preuss B.Smith, Liberatore
I/C: Dunkley

So just to recap:

FB: Cordy Keath Dureya
HB: Crozier Wood Williams
C: Hunter Daniel Macrae
HF: Bolton Naughton Bontempelli
FF: English Bruce Wallis
FOLL: Preuss B.Smith, Liberatore
I/C: Dunkley, Gardner, Johannisen, Vandermeer

EMG: West, La.Young, Jong, JUH

Trade table:
Lewis Young, Bailey Dale, Richards

Main changes I'd be making:

1. Find a ruck. Anybody will do. Even if it's just saying to Trengove or Bruce "this is your job in 2021 - halve the contests if you can, just don't give them a free hit out to advantage". Otherwise find some AFL cast-off or state league player who will just make a contest. A Ben Hudson type would be great. Mobility would be a desirable trait, but consider it a bonus.
2. Make English a 65% KPF (or KPD) and 35% ruck.
3. Persist with Daniel off half back knowing that he makes an equally effective on-baller if they put a hard tag on him.
4. Trade Lipinski - he's not far off his ceiling IMO
5. Trade Dale - I doubt we'll ever see a return to his late 2019 flourish of goals
6. Trade Lewis Young while we can - has potential but we aren't going to pick him so why hold a place for him on the list?
7. Keep Schache while he's on contract (to 2021) - who knows? something may click.
8. Delist Lynch, Suckling, Sweet, Khamis, Porter
9. Meh/depth: Hayes, Gowers, Gardner, Lloyd (only because he's contracted to 2021)
10. Select when available: McLean
11. Retired: Dickson (maybe Suckling too?)
12. I'd keep Trengove but Bevo obviously doesn't favour him so maybe we delist him too.

That's 9 or 10 off the list with a few more we could cut in October 2021 if we need to make extra space then.

We know all of that's not going to happen of course, but that's what I'd do.

ROUND 1
Defenders
Duryea-Keath-Williams
Crozier-Cordy-Daniel

Midfield
Hunter-Macrae-Liberatore
<Bruce or Trengove>-Bont-Dunkley

Forwards
Vandermeer-English-BSmith
JUH-Naughton-Wallis

Interchange:
Johannisen, Jong,
plus two out of Wood, West, Butler, Weightman, Richards, Cavarra, Greene, R Smith, Garcia, La Young
Agree with all this but would delisting Gowers rather than sweet.
Would also ask Jong to explore his options

Duryea Keath Williams
Crozier Cordy JJ
Smith Bont Hunter
Vandemeer Bruce Lipinski
Cavarra Naughton Wallis

English Macrae Libba

Int: Dunkley, Richards, Daniel, West

Our talls are still very suspect. Still a middle of the road team 🤔

Last edited:
FF: (1) Schache Wallis

HF: JUH Naughton Dale

C: Hunter Macrae VDM
R: English Bont Libba

HB: Wood Keath JJ

FB: Crozier Bruce(3)Williams

Int: Daniel, Cordy. (2), Dunkley

(1) Possible small forwards: Ronke, Matera, Lonie - Weightman will hopefully come through

(2) Possible rucks: Goldy, 2MP (has he shown any better than Schache?), Zac Smith - problem with what is available

(3) I like Bruce at FB - and allows Keath more freedom. With Cordy we have flexibility. Tarrant and Thompson could give us a short term solution

Other:

Richards - like him but needs to get confidence in VFL

Lipinski - is really a Dunkley, Macrae back up that either needs to get faster or stronger to get a regular game

McLean - season

Duryea - is solid but not as good as wood, Williams, crozier or JJ or can play in multiples like Cordy

Fergus - like to see him play and may replace Dale but I think JUH coming in may hurt him as a leading forward

Jong - maybe replace Richards

West - will come through but is behind Wallis, Libba and Dunkley at this stage so may need injuries

We probably have seven out out to include smaller lists (guess 2 down) and five new in

Probables - Dickson, Suckling, Porter, Lynch, Hayes

Possibles - Zhamis, LeYoung, LaYoung, May be of harsh - Cavarro, Sweet and Jong (hope not)

Still in contract? (Lloyd, Trengrove)

And new in - 3 from draft (is that the minimum) and 2 trades

Draft - JUH, Raak? Macpherson? Last two will have to be best avail (and do meet needs) or we will likely take others

Trade/FA - Two of ruck, KPD and small forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back