Round 1, 2021

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
100% agree with what you said.
Richmond were also the same as us trying to be “Versatile“ until some of the older plays pretty much said how it was and people need to left in certain position then bang away they went.
Or the players matured and got the consistency that it brings

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamarra is unlikely from the pre season thread being eased in. Hannan not ready due to injury we can expect 2 new faces Stef and Treloar. A fitter Bruce and Astro with an uninterrupted preseason. Bring it on the pies have been on the back foot all through the break firstly the trade, then the racism issue and now the debate on Eddy going surely we win this one.

Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d personally like to see the inclusion of schache and bringing a different dynamic to the forward line . I’d play him over spud Bruce who loves getting in naughtons way

Jamarra is unlikely from the pre season thread being eased in. Hannan not ready due to injury we can expect 2 new faces Stef and Treloar. A fitter Bruce and Astro with an uninterrupted preseason. Bring it on the pies have been on the back foot all through the break firstly the trade, then the racism issue and now the debate on Eddy going surely we win this one.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on off-field stuff once the first siren goes.

I expect us to go with a 3 tall attack - Bruce, Naughts and English as second ruckman. Martin to play a kick behind the play when the ball is in our front half and English will ruck in the F50, Martin rests on the bench more than forward.

The second tall defender spot will be an interesting one. Do we roll the dice with Cordy, or bring in a 'proper' 2nd KPD in either Young or Gardner? I doubt we'll have much idea until the team is announced.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
Better than Gardner and Smith

Everyday of the week

Both have proven they can fill a role.

Beyond Aarts and Chol can I ask who else you would want out of Richmond’s depth? I think they are winning because they have a good balanced list profile, strong systems the team buys into and a game plan tailored to their list (just like men of mayhem worked previously). Not sure it’s their depth at all but curious to know who else you would recruit from them to bolster our 25-30 ish players?

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Hannan out and Wood unlikely I felt it was time to speculate again...

FB Crozier Keath Cordy
HB Daniel Williams Johannisen
C Macrae Dunkley Hunter
HF B.Smith Bruce Treloar
FF Wallis Naughton English
FOL Martin Bontempelli Liberatore

INT Gardner Jong Vandermeer Dale

EMG West Ugle-Hagan R.Smith Cavarra

This team has me excited. The key back slot probably the only spot where we can't match the best opposition sides, but with a now great ruck combo and this midfield you'd hope the ball won't be down there too much...

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What our chances of getting to round 1 now. As an opposition supporter against the pies very little I would say. Disappointing Victoria/Australia had this under control and could not manage the only source of the virus could get out returned travelers disappointing.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beyond Aarts and Chol can I ask who else you would want out of Richmond’s depth? I think they are winning because they have a good balanced list profile, strong systems the team buys into and a game plan tailored to their list (just like men of mayhem worked previously). Not sure it’s their depth at all but curious to know who else you would recruit from them to bolster our 25-30 ish players?

Depth includes your bottom 4ish best 22 players also for most teams. Ours in the last few years have not been good enough.

The tigers have lost several players and bring in new ones that do the role required more than adequately, our “depth”made us obviously competitive

You don’t win 3 out of 4 flags without a deep list and obviously the other things you mentioned.

Do Gardner, Jong, Smith, Hannan, Sweet and a few more even get a list spot at Richmond? Yet they were considered our next in or even played at times.

playwrs that have left the tigers haven’t been spuds at their new teams so that enforces the point

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

FB Crozier Keath Cordy
C Macrae Dunkley Hunter
HF B.Smith Bruce Treloar

This team has me excited. The key back slot probably the only spot where we can't match the best opposition sides, but with a now great ruck combo and this midfield you'd hope the ball won't be down there too much...

We would have to kick 20 goals every week to win games with that backline.

That one of the least balanced team I’ve seen in here

Ghenghis

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2012
Clifton Springs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
there is no other team

FB Crozier Keath Cordy
C Macrae Dunkley Hunter
HF B.Smith Bruce Treloar

Like the look of the team but think that with Wood out it Duryea would be the perfect replacement. He seems to have completely dropped off most peoples radar but his experience and poise would be a great inclusion into the team.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of course it is...

I forgot Dureya, but who else goes in?

You have Williams the CHB as the third tall which in our system stops his ability to push right up in that role which is one of his best assets if not his best.

Two of the slowest wingers in football history, you can lean one not two.

Slowest forward line in the comp that has not a single goal sneak in it. 4 marking targets and 2 mids on a HF line that gives them no rest at all in rotations that will be important with only 75

Jong and Dale are sh!t if they play we are no good and the last 4 years have proven it time and time again.

Gardner, Smith, Duryea, Richards, Juh, and several others play well before Jong and Dale if we are any good

What our chances of getting to round 1 now. As an opposition supporter against the pies very little I would say. Disappointing Victoria/Australia had this under control and could not manage the only source of the virus could get out returned travelers disappointing.
It's going to be perpetual uncertainty I'm afraid. I said somewhere else that 2021 wouldn't be any better than 2020 as far as restrictions were concerned, but it's only 6 weeks in, I'll give it a chance...

Mad Max.jpeg

I'll have a go (until further reports are released):

FB Duryea Keath Williams
HB Daniel Cordy Crozier
C Johanissen Liberatore Hunter
HF Bontempelli Naughton B. Smith
FF Wallis Bruce Vandermeer
FOL Martin Macrae Treloar

INT English Dunkley Richards (up for grabs)

Johanissen will plug holes all over the paddock, I want either Treloar or Smith at every centre bounce (breakaway ability).
Wing rotation opposite Hunter needs pace (VDM, Treloar, Smith, Richards all take rotations there) but nobody bar Brad Hill can run with Hunter now Scully has retired and Whitfield is injured.

English close to being named on the ground but I suspect he rotates in the ruck and at deep forward supporting Bruce and Martin in both roles. He stays fresh for every second/third week when he rucks solo as we manage Martin.

Lewis Young has a real opportunity to grab the CHB spot, I doubt anyone is comfortable with Cordy at CHB as a long term option. Hannan, Wood assumed injured.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You have Williams the CHB as the third tall which in our system stops his ability to push right up in that role which is one of his best assets if not his best.

Two of the slowest wingers in football history, you can lean one not two.

Slowest forward line in the comp that has not a single goal sneak in it. 4 marking targets and 2 mids on a HF line that gives them no rest at all in rotations that will be important with only 75

Jong and Dale are sh!t if they play we are no good and the last 4 years have proven it time and time again.

Gardner, Smith, Duryea, Richards, Juh, and several others play well before Jong and Dale if we are any good

Your thinking is a bit old-skool if you think I have Williams there as a key position player. He's just in the 'backline group' with Gardner on the bench.

With JJ, B.Smith, Vandermeer and Treloar on the field we're not the quickest but not slow. Fwd line is tall and yes we don't have a true pressure fwd so I'm backing Jong (no need to comment on that one).

Dale has shown he can play but needs to go to the next level that's for sure. I have him in because apart from Wallis we don't have too many dead-eyes down there.

As for a goalsneak I love Vandermeer and reckon he can do the job.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Your thinking is a bit old-skool if you think I have Williams there as a key position player. He's just in the 'backline group' with Gardner on the bench.

With JJ, B.Smith, Vandermeer and Treloar on the field we're not the quickest but not slow. Fwd line is tall and yes we don't have a true pressure fwd so I'm backing Jong (no need to comment on that one).

Dale has shown he can play but needs to go to the next level that's for sure. I have him in because apart from Wallis we don't have too many dead-eyes down there.

As for a goalsneak I love Vandermeer and reckon he can do the job.

I don’t have the stats but I’d suggest Bev has picked 3 talls back in over 95% of his games with us and he doesn’t rotate them out much. The other three move so if you are stating a back 7 then perhaps suggest that.

I like VDM forward

Apart from a month Dale has shown nothing.

Regardless my thoughts on Jong the one thing he is, is a see ball get ball player. We already have problems with spacing and movement with Naughton and Bruce he would be atrocious in that set up and continually be in the way. I don’t get the desire for people to continually want blokes to play that have proven time and time again don’t help us win games of footy or are injured every second week. I’d rather play JUH on debut that the same blokes that have been part of the reason we have been shite for 4 years. It’s time to move forward

Dale has also shown he disappears when the pressure is on. At his best he's a solid H&A player but I have zero faith he is the type that performs in finals where time and space are limited.
He has work to do before he earns a senior game IMO.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Wood and Hannan out..

Williams - Keath - Crozier
Daniel - Cordy - Duryea
Hunter - Dunkley - Treloar
Bont - Naughton - JJ
Wallis - Bruce - English
Martin - Macrae - Smith

Liberatore - Richards - VDM - West

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Interesting most here are picking tall teams. I think the game has gone the other way. I would only have Naughton up forward with English resting forward. Bruce can earn his spot. Same in defence go small with Cordy and Keith. Two rucks make us taller anyway. Its a possession, territory game now, two big forward is enough with fast runners.

Try and keep that back 6 settled. Daniel can rotate through there at the moment due to injuries to Wood yet I want Daniel up into the midfield as well to add further creativity. Centre line is strong.

Your half forwards in Treloar and Smith will rotate through the middle with Dunks/Bont and others. The half forward should push right up high which makes the pace of VDM and Richards in the pockets even more important.

Libba and West add the grunt needed. JUH is my Cinderella story. Give him a taste, floating forward, leading wide etc, creating space, not in the big pack yet.

Backs
JJ - Cordy - Duryea
Centre
Daniel - Dunkley - Hunter
Martin - Macrae - Bont
Forward
Treloar - Naughton - Smith
Wallis - English - VDM
Interchange
Libba - West - Richards - JUH

I think it right up there with our strongest line up for years. Cordy worries me as a key back in 1 on 1 situation and be interesting to see if Martin holds up yet overall a strong side.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting most here are picking tall teams. I think the game has gone the other way. I would only have Naughton up forward with English resting forward. Bruce can earn his spot. Same in defence go small with Cordy and Keith. Two rucks make us taller anyway. Its a possession, territory game now, two big forward is enough with fast runners.

Try and keep that back 6 settled. Daniel can rotate through there at the moment due to injuries to Wood yet I want Daniel up into the midfield as well to add further creativity. Centre line is strong.

Your half forwards in Treloar and Smith will rotate through the middle with Dunks/Bont and others. The half forward should push right up high which makes the pace of VDM and Richards in the pockets even more important.

Libba and West add the grunt needed. JUH is my Cinderella story. Give him a taste, floating forward, leading wide etc, creating space, not in the big pack yet.

Backs
JJ - Cordy - Duryea
Centre
Martin - Macrae - Bont
Forward
Wallis - English - VDM
Interchange

I think it right up there with our strongest line up for years. Cordy worries me as a key back in 1 on 1 situation and be interesting to see if Martin holds up yet overall a strong side.
I disagree that the games gone smaller, I think you can’t carry a s**t tall for the sake of being tall anymore but if you’ve got quality talls you need them littered all over the field imo. More important than ever with the way the games gone, if you’ve got blokes that can take contested marks through the middle, up forward and down back they’re worth their weight in gold. I think we’ve got a good mix of talls that can all play together now and offer something other than just being tall. Agreed down back Keath and Cordy should be our set up but up forward I want to stretch teams. They need to be versatile though, Bruce or Naughty need to be strong options through the middle of the ground. English needs to drop back and forward to cover holes/stretch the oppo. Martins really the only one who should be locked into a role. I’m sick of getting Absolutey anihilated in the air, we need to play the right amount of quality talls to allow our smalls to dominate the ground, because the way we’ve been setting up we’ve given them no hope.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Backs
JJ - Cordy - Duryea
Centre
Martin - Macrae - Bont
Forward
Wallis - English - VDM
Interchange

I think you are indeed in cinderella land if you think JUH is going to get a game ahead of Bruce...and aren't they pretty much the same height anyway?

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think you are indeed in cinderella land if you think JUH is going to get a game ahead of Bruce...and aren't they pretty much the same height anyway?
If He proves he can in the pre season why not??Naughton played against Men before his first season,l realise whereas Jamarra played hardly any football.Otherwise if he is good and ready enough play him l reckon..

Back