• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Now we come to predictions for next season's opening round. Obviously a ton of water to go under the bridge, so many of our young guys could grab a spot with a good pre-season

Would love to see something like this, myself:

B: Brown, Butts, Doedee
HB: Smith, Murray, McPherson
C: Sholl, Laird, Seedsman
HF: Sloane, Fogarty, Cook
F: McHenry, Thilthorpe, McAdam/Gollant
R: ROB, Keays, Schoenberg
I/C: Jones, Milera, Berry, Pedlar/1st round pick

Jones Butts Doedee
Smith Murray Milera
Seedsman Laird Jordan Dawson?
Gollant Thilthorpe Cook
McAdam Fogarty Wingard?

ROB Schoenberg Hopper?

McHenry Sloane Keays Berry

I have us trading in Jacob Hopper for our first round and Jordan Dawson for our 2022 1st round. I reckon we will also trade in Wingard cheap as an upgrade on Murphy /Rowe. I think we should use our other picks on another decent small and a decent running mid.

according to big footy over the last few weeks, our side will be

jones - butts - doedee
smith - maynard - lukosius
seedsman - wingard - dawson
ROB - laird - schoenberg
sloane - fogarty - mchenry
mcadam - thilthorpe - rankine

milera - murray - sholl - berry

seriously though, at least 1 big in would be nice. bring on october.

B: Jones, Butts, Doedee
HB: Smith, Murray, Milera
C: Seedsman, Crouch, Sholl
HF: McHenry, Walker, Sloane
F: McAdam, Thilthorpe, Fogarty
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: McPherson, Pedlar, Cook, Berry

Though Brown probably plays over McPherson.

Who have I forgotten... hmmm Hamill... yeah, he is in the mix too.

HB: Smith, Murray, Worrell
C: Seedsman, Keays, Milera
HF: McHenry, Thilthorpe, Sloane
F: McAdam, Fogarty, Rowe
I: McPherson, Hately, Cook, Worrell
Worrell, yeah he is in the mix... but you have named him twice.

At this point for me:

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Jones
C: Seedsman - Keays - Sholl
HF: McHenry - Thilthorpe - Pedlar
F: Murphy - Fogarty - Gollant
R: ROB - Schoenberg - Laird
INT: Berry - Worrell - Cook - Sloane

HB: Smith, Murray, Milera
C: Seedsman, Keays, Sholl
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Sloane
F: McAdam, Thilthorpe, Gollant
I: Brown, Hately, Cook, Rowe

EMG: Mcpherson, Strachan, Murphy & Pedlar.

Fingers crossed we can add a Maynard or a Dawson...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB: Smith - Murray - Milera
C: Sholl - Sloane - Seedsman
HF: Lukosius - Thilthorpe - McHenry
F: McAdam - Fogarty - Rankine
R: O'Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
I: Jones - Berry - Hately - Cook

Rebuild done. EZ Premiership.

HB: Smith - Murray - Milera
C: Sholl - Sloane - Seedsman
HF: Lukosius - Thilthorpe - McHenry
F: McAdam - Fogarty - Rankine
R: O'Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
I: Jones - Berry - Hately - Cook

Rebuild done. EZ Premiership.
Interesting…I’ll add ~
IN Pedlar, Hinge, McPherson, Strachan
OUT Sholl, Brown, Hately, ROB,

FB: Maynard Butts Doedee
HB: Smith Murray Laird
R: O'Brien Keays Schoenberg
C: Milera Crouch Seedsman
HF: Cook Thilthorpe McHenry
FF: Murphy Fogarty Rankine

Int: Pedlar Sloane Hamill Jones
If Maynard comes to Adelaide it will be as a midfielder not a defender.

If Maynard comes to Adelaide it will be as a midfielder not a defender.
Disagree, it’d be as a defender that pushes into the midfield more often than he currently does at the Pies. His best work is still done in the D50, honestly

Dawson, on the other hand... wing through and through

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think Hamill will make it.

He’s young but so unbalanced and flighty, like a deer on ice.

Head knocks already adding up.

These threads always deliver. People think we're going to change our selection philosophy overnight.

Milera has now missed two years with injury and is set to miss a big chunk of preseason again. In the off chance his leg hasn't completely fallen off, he'll need time in the SANFL to regain touch and fitness.

Nicks loves Frampton so lock him in, probably in defence.

Pedlar needs a shoulder reco and was miles off the pace this year. Think he's a 2023 prospect.

Can basically lock in Sloane, Laird and Keays in the middle again.

The forward line will be the hardest area to pick. Fog, Himmelberg, Murphy, Thilthorpe, McAdam, Gollant, Rowe as well as McHenry and Cook to some extent, all fighting for spots there.

These threads always deliver. People think we're going to change our selection philosophy overnight.

Milera has now missed two years with injury and is set to miss a big chunk of preseason again. In the off chance his leg hasn't completely fallen off, he'll need time in the SANFL to regain touch and fitness.

Nicks loves Frampton so lock him in, probably in defence.

Pedlar needs a shoulder reco and was miles off the pace this year. Think he's a 2023 prospect.

Can basically lock in Sloane, Laird and Keays in the middle again.

The forward line will be the hardest area to pick. Fog, Himmelberg, Murphy, Thilthorpe, McAdam, Gollant, Rowe as well as McHenry and Cook to some extent, all fighting for spots there.
2023 for Pedlar. s**t i hope not. Powell would have been the better option if true. I like the look of what I saw from Hinge. Hopefully he fully recovers. If Milera doesn't ever get back to his best we are blessed with plenty of options in Smith (unless traded), Jones, Hamill, McPherson. We also have Worrell that can play the tall rebounder.

Last edited:
This is what I expect our "locked in" players will be based on this year's selection

B Doedee - Butts - Kelly
HB Brown - ??? - Smith
C Seedsman - Laird - ???
HF McHenry - ??? - Schoenberg
F ??? - Thilthorpe - Murphy
R O'Brien - Sloane - Keays

I Jones - ??? - ??? - ???

As far as I see it there are seven genuine spots up for grabs.

Our defense is largely set. Our second KPD spot is hard to pick, could be Murray, could be Frampton (not that I would pick him). Brown gets in over McPherson. Worrell looks set for another 2-3 years in the SANFL if we re-sign Kelly as rumored

We have an open wing spot which I suspect will go to Sholl but he was out of favor at the end of the year

The forward line is tough to pick. I would be close to locking Fogarty in, but not quite (I think he gets a spot). The other forward slots are totally unknown, could be Rowe, McAdam, Cook, Gollant... who knows. Does Walker play again?

Then three bench spots, two midfield and one forward. Not sure who gets them, I think one probably goes to Milera and another to our highest draft pick.

Right now I'd have the ??? as Murray, Sholl, Fogarty, McAdam, Milera, Cook and Pick 4

Lots of players on the fringe of the side who I suspect will be kept out by guys like Kelly, Murphy, Brown and Sloane much to the dislike of supporters on here throughout the year. Also lots of toss-a-coin moments for the bench eg. McAdam/Rowe and Cook/Berry

Last edited:
Lots of players on the fringe of the side who I suspect will be kept out by guys like Kelly, Murphy, Brown and Sloane much to the dislike of supporters on here throughout the year
FWIW, considering we probably need one defensive-minded medium/small player in our defensive lineup, I'd be cool having one of Brown or Kelly in there for the coming year. I don't think McPherson is that guy going forward, as 1) we saw his job against Jamie Elliott; 2) he seemed much better when freed up as a rebounding option, particularly with a 2nd KPD brought in

If it was up to me, I'd go with Brown over Kelly, but we'll see what the club thinks

FWIW, considering we probably need one defensive-minded medium/small player in our defensive lineup, I'd be cool having one of Brown or Kelly in there for the coming year. I don't think McPherson is that guy going forward, as 1) we saw his job against Jamie Elliott; 2) he seemed much better when freed up as a rebounding option, particularly with a 2nd KPD brought in

If it was up to me, I'd go with Brown over Kelly, but we'll see what the club thinks

Both will play all season, you can basically guarantee that as they've been picked for every game while fit under Nicks.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Brown but it depends on his form which has been well off his best for a while now. I'd rather not see him in the side playing crap football while Hamill and McPherson play in the twos

But in reality our 22 will include all of our senior players and then it's just a matter of slotting in the kids around them

Back