AFLW Autopsy Round 1, 2022: Essendon v Hawthorn, 27 August 2022, 7.10pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally we have a team in AFLW and I loved every second of it. Not so invested in the win/loss as I am with the mens team - but I loved the intensity. The chaos of the game makes it incredibly entertaining.

We ran out of puff halfway through the third. Sure - umpiring affected it but the stronger team jut got rolling and we didn't have another level . No shame in that.

Felt great being there last night. Box Hill and Frankston aren't super accessible locations for where I am so I was stoked to get to Marvel for the first game.

Was soaking up the atmosphere so won't be helpful for much analysis. One thing I loved was Fleming's kicking. Don't think she'd even know how to kick anything other than a low dart. Tilly was great as expected, another level of class.

Couldn't do much about Prespakis and Toogood. Great pickups for *.

Loved different sections of the crowd going up as their family member or mate got a touch.

Cracking game last night- was really enjoyable to be in the crowd for this one.

Inexperience cost us, but bloody hell our gameplan is exciting!

Was great to see us winning it out of the middle and grinding for 85% of the game before the floodgates opened.

So much talent, so much to be excited about moving forward!

Anyone willing to share info on heads-on-sticks being waved about in the Hawks cheersquad?

Is that an AFLW thing lol? Was quite bizarre, couldn't get a decent photo of it

Some stats from Saturday's game:
4.3-27 is a club record score for the Hawthorn AFLW side.
Zoe Barbakos' 2 goals set a new club record for most goals kicked in a single game.
Tilly Lucas-Rodd's 17 disposals is a new club record for most disposals in a single game.
Her 14 kicks is also a new club record for most kicks in a single game.
Louise Stephenson and Charlotte Baskaran set a new club record for most handballs in a single game with 8
Tegan Cunningham's 4 marks was a new club record for most marks in a single game.
Tamara Luke's 16 hitouts was a new record for most hitouts in a single game.
Tamara Smith's 9 tackles is the most tackles ever for Hawthorn's AFLW side in a single game
7.11 - 53 is the lowest score ever conceded by a Hawthorn AFLW side.

Some cool serious ones.
Sarah Perkins is the first AFLW player to play for 4 different sides and hence also the only player to kick a goal on debut for 4 different teams.
Essendon's 7,11 - 53 is the highest score by an AFLW side on debut, pipping North's 7.10 - 52
Sophie Locke goes down in history as Hawthorn's first ever goal kicker in AFLW.
In a parallel with the Hawthorn's men's team, The AFLW side had three individual Goal kickers on debut. Sophie Locke (1g), Sarah Perkins (1g) and Zoe Barbakos (2g) which match the efforts of Hec Yeomans (2g) Les Woodford (2g) and Dave Elliman (1g) in Hawthorn's first game in Rd 1 1925.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to come on here and add some further reflections. My wife and I sat down on Saturday night to watch the game on tv and both really enjoyed it. Almost a return to old-fashioned footy as it should be, rather than the rolling scrum of tap-ons, well disguised throws and indecipherable free kicks that have become a feature of the men's game. We are used to attending our kids' junior footy and local country league games which have a strong sense of community, and the game on Saturday appeared to have a really family feel to it (well, as much as could be gleaned from watching at home)!

I haven't really watched much AFLW before now as I think it was launched a bit prematurely, plus I had no real interest without a Hawks team to follow. But now that the Hawks have a team we can get on board. Really like the fact that girls and women now have the chance to play footy to a national level. My wife in particular, as a school teacher, always gets a kick out of watching some of our local girls teams, particular when she sees some of the kids she used to teach coming off the ground covered in mud but with the biggest grins on their faces.

I think that the AFLW can/will develop into a great "product" over the next 5-10 years, particularly as the gap between the best and least-best players closes and as the game and players move into being full-time professional athletes. Despite all that, I do hope it's a long time before the game catches up to the frenetic pace of the AFL men's game because, right now, I am enjoying the points of difference between the two competitions.

Just wanted to come on here and add some further reflections. My wife and I sat down on Saturday night to watch the game on tv and both really enjoyed it. Almost a return to old-fashioned footy as it should be, rather than the rolling scrum of tap-ons, well disguised throws and indecipherable free kicks that have become a feature of the men's game. We are used to attending our kids' junior footy and local country league games which have a strong sense of community, and the game on Saturday appeared to have a really family feel to it (well, as much as could be gleaned from watching at home)!

I haven't really watched much AFLW before now as I think it was launched a bit prematurely, plus I had no real interest without a Hawks team to follow. But now that the Hawks have a team we can get on board. Really like the fact that girls and women now have the chance to play footy to a national level. My wife in particular, as a school teacher, always gets a kick out of watching some of our local girls teams, particular when she sees some of the kids she used to teach coming off the ground covered in mud but with the biggest grins on their faces.

I think that the AFLW can/will develop into a great "product" over the next 5-10 years, particularly as the gap between the best and least-best players closes and as the game and players move into being full-time professional athletes. Despite all that, I do hope it's a long time before the game catches up to the frenetic pace of the AFL men's game because, right now, I am enjoying the points of difference between the two competitions.
Agree on all counts, and yes it was really an awesome community/ family atmosphere!

My friend referred to it (in comparison to the Saints/ Lions match we'd been to a fortnight earlier) as G-Rated, and he meant it in a positive way, which I think sums it up perfectly.

Lots of positives to take from the game despite the loss, all the youngsters will be better off for the match experience. How good seeing Hawks finally run out to compete for 4 points.

My biggest concern from that match going forward is the defence. That's where a lot of the AFLW experience was recruited to bolster and did not look up to standard against a side in the same boat as us. Bit worried there'll be a fair few blowouts without improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back