Preview Round 1, 2022: Hawks v North, MCG Sunday March 20th at 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we look short Xerri and Ccj are definitely 2 names we shouldn't be concerned about to kick bags. I'd assume frost takes larkey and Denver Ccj . Sicily on the resting ruckman is a big win for us if he can halve most contests, we will be running out from the backline with ease.
CCJ looked okay in his few games. He’s got the size to worry DGB (prob has 20kgs on him). No idea about xerri.

But if Larkey and zurharr are keeping Sicily/frost busy then DGB is the matchup for north to exploit. We prob don’t want scrim, CJ, Finn dragged deep. Think zurharr might be too big for Hardwick. Norths smalls aren’t great (although resting mids more a challenge). Wouldn’t be surprised if north tries to drag Sicily away from the contest.

I'm not convinced we'll play Hartigan and Frost in the same team much this season.

Sicily plays tall. DGB will be given the opportunity to develop into an AFL career. Frost or Hartigan will take the other tall. Then it will be a matter of picking the best rebounders around them in defence. Luckily for us all of Day, Impey, Jiath and Scrimshaw are strong interceptors in the air.

Stoked for Finn. I hope people are kind to him if he only scores 8 disposals but completely blankets his direct opponent which is a realistic outcome.

This team is so young and a win to start the season would be nice, but i'll be happy enough with a competitive loss and a 4 quarter effort if i'm honest.

Yes only issue is Finn wont have a direct opponent. Man on man hasn’t been played since the naughties off half back. Have to say I dont know what the club sees in him (or Morrison) but I hope they prove me wrong. Watching Rich v Carl Im even more concerned we just dont have a 198cm defender or a star big bodied mid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Midfield rotations will be interesting - we are basically playing 5 pure inside mids - Tom, JOM, worpel, Nash, Jai + also shiels, Finn and Ward (who seems far better inside than a wing). Shiels will prob stay on wing and seems Finn on a back flank but how we use rest will be interesting.

Yes only issue is Finn wont have a direct opponent. Man on man hasn’t been played since the naughties off half back. Have to say I dont know what the club sees in him (or Morrison) but I hope they prove me wrong. Watching Rich v Carl Im even more concerned we just dont have a 198cm defender or a star big bodied mid.

Finn is only in his second year if you don't consider Covid affected 2020. He deserves time to develop.

Morrison is simply a hard working, neat footballer who rarely wastes a possession and gets to the correct spots more often than not. Every team needs those vanilla type players.

Midfield rotations will be interesting - we are basically playing 5 pure inside mids - Tom, JOM, worpel, Nash, Jai + also shiels, Finn and Ward (who seems far better inside than a wing). Shiels will prob stay on wing and seems Finn on a back flank but how we use rest will be interesting.
Don't forget Chad who is arguably out best midfielder when fit and healthy. Hopefully Sam gives him some minutes in there but it's a crowded field. Probably works against him that he's also clearly the best forward of all our midfielders.

Weird stat time -

An alphabetical first for Hawthorn on Sunday - Sam Frost will be the first player on our team sheet. We've never before fielded a side without a player surname starting with A-E.

1977 Round 8 Rodney Eade led the way, but apart from that one time, we've had a player in the A-D range in every single game, until now.

The last time we didn't have an A, B or C, was 1981. Rick Davies and Dipper holding the line.

Last edited:

He may be given a job on a certain player. He certainly has the size, strength, toe and tank to play such a role. Zurhaar and JHF come to mind.

With Scrimshaw, CJ, Sicily and now Finn also playing off the HBF line at least one of them will be given a job on a player. Not all of them can be opponents-less.

Personally I hope he plays through the middle though. He was looking very clean and was able to get his hands free in the contest, whilst Newcombe (surprisingly) and Worpel were both very fumbly.

Yeah too many of the same type. Day, Bramble, Wingard and hopefully Ward and McDonald are almost our most important players given their skill set is rare in our squad.

We can hope for the best but there is a chance Norths fleet footed mids could run us off our feet tomorrow. Big test for Reeves, we will be desperate for first hands on the ball.

Watching the 3rd quarter vs the tigers was a glimpse of what could be with Reeves tapping to advantage in the centre.

I felt like frost was better with hartigan in the side as he got more suitable matchups. And he also played a little higher up the field where he had more space to work his running magic! Big step up in responsibility for him.
Frost is fast but so was Chip Frawley.

We don't need frost ball as paul roos called it coming out of the backline. He's one of the best 1v1 contest winners in the comp just have him spoil or out mark or just follow all day. 8 handballs and 0 marks or goals conceded is all that's needed from him.

Hartigan is a better user and better on the gorilla's but poor agility, speed and ground level skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought playing Hartigan was more of a necessity than something we really wanted to do long term. I mean if Frost was better with Hartigan then my solution would be anything other than just continuing to play Hartigan when we've got better options. I'm sure he will come back in as a few players form inevitably dips, but yeah, it is what it is.

Haven't been to the 'G yet in COVID times so not sure how much things have changed. I have a reserved seat, but my daughter only has GA and we're bringing a guest. Trying to buy tickets on Ticketek but my digital barcode isn't being recognised... gah. My daughter's is. Will I be OK to just rock up and scan in tomorrow and buy my daughter's friend a ticket?

Haven't been to the 'G yet in COVID times so not sure how much things have changed. I have a reserved seat, but my daughter only has GA and we're bringing a guest. Trying to buy tickets on Ticketek but my digital barcode isn't being recognised... gah. My daughter's is. Will I be OK to just rock up and scan in tomorrow and buy my daughter's friend a ticket?
I'm GA, presume I just turn up and scan my tickets in the Hawks app. 🤷🏾‍♂️

In 2009 Hawthorn had a young 17 year old running around in Liam Shiels. Now he will be the eldest Hawk on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back