Preview Round 1 2022- Hawks v Roos MCG - Sunday March 20- 1.10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just to provide a bit of context on the selection of Young ahead of Powell. Whoever came into the team to replace Josh Walker, who stands at 196 cm, needs to be both primarily a defender and have some height. Young is 189 cm and has played as a defender, Powell is 184 cm and is a midfielder. Lazzarro is 179 cm and is a small forward, Hayden is 186 cm and plays as a defender and Ford is, like Young, 189 cm but plays primarily as a forward.

If the Match Committee is doing its job properly, then it needs to take these matters into account when selecting a replacement for Walker; and in my view, that is why they have chosen Young. He best fits those two criteria.

Is Young a better footballer than Powell? No he is most certainly not, but, he is the best match for the role that needs to be performed this week.

On top of that, we are all rank outsiders when it comes to knowing where each player is at, what their strengths and weaknesses are and who is the best fit for any role in this Round 1 game.
In the cold hard light of day the Scott over Powell is easily explained by running ability. We need to be able to cover the ground.

The hawks are going in short up forward, the same set up we had last year. One key forward and a ruckman. Corr should be able to handle part timers who have never kicked a goal in afl football. The hawks don’t have Breust their leading goal kicker from last year and kosi who I think was third. So we have McDonald and JZ who are basically the same height as young. Do we need 3?

I don’t think we need 3, so then the question is who is in for young and the obvious answer is Powell. He could be critical in the last qtr when everyone else is gassed and making the wrong decisions and turning it over.

It’s a really strange turn of events.

Jumping Roo

Debutant
Apr 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, Powell is going to be a superstar but maybe he’s still carrying some injury from last year and the club want to ease him back in this season and not overload him?

We all don’t want to see him physically breakdown again and miss a large part of the season. I’m pretty confident the club know what they are doing and perhaps plan to ease him back in to senior footy?

Maybe he can only manage a quarter or a half of footy at this stage of recovery hence the plan for him to be sub this Sunday.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Powell I'm guessing is sub.

I'm not a huge fan of young, but I'm guessing there is a matchup/role in mind for him. Hope he goes well.

Overall looks about right.
I’m a huge fan of Powell (prob my favourite player) and it kills me not seeing him play from the start. There is a long time still to go till game time. Especially with this Covid crap. Don’t be surprised he’s still a late in .
However, Youngs in is based on J Walker going out as he can slot into the back 6 off the bench .
I’m not a huge fan of Young & he’s yet to convince me why he should be in our squad in 2023.
One truly heroic act I remember from Young was last year in our first win v the Hawks in Launceston with seconds to go him backing into a pack courageously to cause the turnover / saving the game . Maybe Nobes & the selection committee have still got that image instilled in their brains.
I say let’s back him .

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a huge fan of Powell (prob my favourite player) and it kills me not seeing him play from the start. There is a long time still to go till game time. Especially with this Covid crap. Don’t be surprised he’s still a late in .
However, Youngs in is based on J Walker going out as he can slot into the back 6 off the bench .
I’m not a huge fan of Young & he’s yet to convince me why he should be in our squad in 2023.
One truly heroic act I remember from Young was last year in our first win v the Hawks in Launceston with seconds to go him backing into a pack courageously to cause the turnover / saving the game . Maybe Nobes & the selection committee have still got that image instilled in their brains.
I say let’s back him .
I havent seen anything over the ore season so I could be wrong, what if, he has spent the entire pre season working on his disposal and improved that component of his game?

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just a little tuff
Mate everyone has seen Young play, he is not an unknown quantity.

The team already has a surplus of lowly skilled, turnover merchants (particularly down back). Adding another is just asking for trouble. We’re essentially making our weakness weaker.

Ziebell, Hall, Turner, Young & McDonald.

Tour de Turnover.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the cold hard light of day the Scott over Powell is easily explained by running ability. We need to be able to cover the ground.

The hawks are going in short up forward, the same set up we had last year. One key forward and a ruckman. Corr should be able to handle part timers who have never kicked a goal in afl football. The hawks don’t have Breust their leading goal kicker from last year and kosi who I think was third. So we have McDonald and JZ who are basically the same height as young. Do we need 3?

I don’t think we need 3, so then the question is who is in for young and the obvious answer is Powell. He could be critical in the last qtr when everyone else is gassed and making the wrong decisions and turning it over.

It’s a really strange turn of events
They'll have max lynch, Lewis and gunston. That's 3

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just to provide a bit of context on the selection of Young ahead of Powell. Whoever came into the team to replace Josh Walker, who stands at 196 cm, needs to be both primarily a defender and have some height. Young is 189 cm and has played as a defender, Powell is 184 cm and is a midfielder. Lazzarro is 179 cm and is a small forward, Hayden is 186 cm and plays as a defender and Ford is, like Young, 189 cm but plays primarily as a forward.

If the Match Committee is doing its job properly, then it needs to take these matters into account when selecting a replacement for Walker; and in my view, that is why they have chosen Young. He best fits those two criteria.

Is Young a better footballer than Powell? No he is most certainly not, but, he is the best match for the role that needs to be performed this week.

On top of that, we are all rank outsiders when it comes to knowing where each player is at, what their strengths and weaknesses are and who is the best fit for any role in this Round 1 game.
Nail head

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t see Powell as competing for a spot with Scott or Polec. I see Jy, LDU and Hugh as the guys in his posi. Some weeks we’ll be able to fit them all in, this week the match committee didn’t think they could for whatever reason.

You can’t always just use the wings as a spot to squeeze more pure mids into the team. It’s underselling the role a winger plays in the structure of a team.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What if Young doesn’t play Walkers role? There seems to be this assumption that it’s going to happen & therefore it’s justified. What about if Ziebell or McDonald play that role?

If Young is playing Walkers role, then Powell should be playing ahead of Scott.

Match committee do make mistakes & this is one of them IMO.

Harpergun

Senior List
Mar 7, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
90% of posters in the last 15 hours of this thread

C75475DD-2168-4021-8A7D-F3E31D05F4B0.jpeg

My 2 cents worth. Can’t recall the Melbourne game but didn’t think Powell was overly impressive against the swans. Polec and Scott who seem most on the fringes of best 22 certainly had better preseason performances.
Pretty sure I’ve heard Noble and assistant coaches say spots are open and form warrants selection. Is it possible that Powells game and training form currently isn’t better than other midfielders selected so his form at the moment doesn’t actually warrant selection.

Last edited:

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
90% of posters in the last 15 hours of this thread

View attachment 1348120

My 2 cents worth. Can’t recall the Melbourne game but didn’t think Powell was overly impressive against the swans. Polec and Scott who seem most on the fringes of best 22 certainly had better preseason performances.
Pretty I’ve heard Noble and assistant coaches say spots are open and form warrants selection. Is it possible that Powells game and training form currently isn’t better than other midfielders selected so his form at the moment doesn’t actually warrant selection.
Short answer yes. Could be any number of reasons why he wasn't selected, most likely is he is young and didn't have the best pre season form. The kid is 19 and missed half of last year, he himself said that this pre season was about building his tank and strength. Really not worth all the bluff and bluster

nicko74

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What if Young doesn’t play Walkers role? There seems to be this assumption that it’s going to happen & therefore it’s justified. What about if Ziebell or McDonald play that role?

Yes, you have made us all acutely aware of that

I can take or leave Young. I don't dislike him as much as others and actually thought he played some okay footy at the start of last year when we were dreadful.

But no Tom Powell is genuinely baffling. It must be something behind the scenes that's being demanded of him that he's not quite doing at this stage and they think he needs a reality check. that's all i can think of it being. on talent alone, he's selected every week.
Genuinely puzzled by the shock - he looked like he was coming from way back in the pre season games I saw. He's <20 years old and might need the odd run before he demands a spot. There needs to be some eye on results now and the long game - putting every talented <20 in the team is just nonsense. I have no doubt he'll be back within the first handful of rounds if his fitness builds.

FWIW the team haven't run out yet either, a lot of stress over one 19 year old in the first round of the year.

Last edited:

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Genuinely puzzled by the shock - he looked like he was coming from way back in the pre season games I saw. He's <20 years old and might need the odd run before he demands a spot. There needs to be some eye on results now and the long game - putting every talented <20 in the team is just nonsense. I have no doubt he'll be back within the first handful of rounds if his fitness builds.
You are thinking about Sleevo - not Powell.

Sleevo has had a horrid pre season and would be lucky to be picked in the VFL if form, attitude and professionalism were the criteria for selection.

Powell has been fine - played all the games - showed his usual class in patches and is ready to play.

If he isn't ready to play round 1 because of his size etc - then why did they pick him last year for the same game when he was even lighter?

You are thinking about Sleevo - not Powell.

Sleevo has had a horrid pre season and would be lucky to be picked in the VFL if form, attitude and professionalism were the criteria for selection.

Powell has been fine - played all the games - showed his usual class in patches and is ready to play.

If he isn't ready to play round 1 because of his size etc - then why did they pick him last year for the same game when he was even lighter?
Played some half games rather than big minutes - look for all I know he'll be running around on Sunday and I'm fine with that but he missed half of last year with an injury that we treated conservatively given his age and hasn't played full minutes over the pre season. He's not a 25 year old coming back to an established spot, there is a reasonable possibility he's a touch underdone and in a perfect world they'd like to give him a week or two more.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars

Match committee do make mistakes & this is one of them IMO
They'll have max lynch, Lewis and gunston. That's 3

Gunston is more a lead up type. I dare say he gets McDonald as a matchup or possibly Young.

McKay will take Lewis and Corr their other tall with Ziebell jumping in from the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back