Preview Round 1 2022- Hawks v Roos MCG - Sunday March 20- 1.10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You are thinking about Sleevo - not Powell.

Sleevo has had a horrid pre season and would be lucky to be picked in the VFL if form, attitude and professionalism were the criteria for selection.

Powell has been fine - played all the games - showed his usual class in patches and is ready to play.

If he isn't ready to play round 1 because of his size etc - then why did they pick him last year for the same game when he was even lighter?
Noble has been on record saying he has been really happy with Jaidyns pre season stop talking s**t.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
I am catching up on posts here, so reading back the past few pages. The hate for Young is apalling on this site. He is a young kid. The fact we traded for him, rather than draft him, means he has started poorly in the eyes of many here. He is undersized to be playing on the 3rd tall, yet he will acquit himself as best he can. Ease up everyone!!
This forum is great, but the targeting of a young player (or an old player) is not what we as a group should be doing. I dont post often, but this is annoying me enough to feel it should be said. He will likely make some mistakes during the game, but so will other defenders, and it might even cost a goal or two, but give him a chance!!

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lets not forget if Bonar was available he would be in. I liked a lot of what Aiden did last year. He was given a bath against degoey however im almost certain he was carrying an injury then. I was also watching it from level 2 he was caught out of position on multiple occasions. I liked the look of him in the back line.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am catching up on posts here, so reading back the past few pages. The hate for Young is apalling on this site. He is a young kid. The fact we traded for him, rather than draft him, means he has started poorly in the eyes of many here. He is undersized to be playing on the 3rd tall, yet he will acquit himself as best he can. Ease up everyone!!
This forum is great, but the targeting of a young player (or an old player) is not what we as a group should be doing. I dont post often, but this is annoying me enough to feel it should be said. He will likely make some mistakes during the game, but so will other defenders, and it might even cost a goal or two, but give him a chance!!
I havent put the fork in him yet. Most of his errors came from the entire team being under siege last season. I’ll give him another crack. This year or he will probably be playing else where in some local leagues next year.

About 10 of Young's turnovers last year came because the players he kicked the ball to waited flat footed for chest marks and opposition players jumped over the top of them and either intercepted or spoiled the kick.

In every one of those cases the turnover was from poor form by the receiving player, if they'd ran at the ball and attempted to take it at its highest point they wouldn't have lost the contest, well at least not as easily.

Not every kick Young turned over was our receiving player's fault but enough were that it was noticable by about 5 games in that we are too flat footed.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About 10 of Young's turnovers last year came because the players he kicked the ball to waited flat footed for chest marks and opposition players jumped over the top of them and either intercepted or spoiled the kick.

In every one of those cases the turnover was from poor form by the receiving player, if they'd ran at the ball and attempted to take it at its highest point they wouldn't have lost the contest, well at least not as easily.

Not every kick Young turned over was our receiving player's fault but enough were that it was noticable by about 5 games in that we are too flat footed.
I agree with this. He had had a few shocking moments, if you analyse every player, they’ve all had some absolutely stinking moments. 2020/2021. Even Jy made massive errors that lead to the ball being rebounded to multiple goals against, potential captain. Not yet, He’s too young, is Young. This year will determine his future, there’s no question. Especially with Flynn Perez who has potential too and then FA’s come years end. Flynn does real good things at the ball, rate him

Last edited:

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t have an issue with Lachie Young. I have an issue that he and Bailey Scott are playing ahead of Tom Powell.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey muttley45 what are the umps we’re getting like?
The state of umpiring in the 6 or so quarters ive watched this year is abysmal. I honestly believe the umpires were going to be staunch on “incorrect disposal” .. I watched throw after throw after throw.. the way its tracking, the AFL are going to have to abandon the handball. Just throw it, no point having a handball any longer. Does not matter which umpire we have

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The state of umpiring in the 6 or so quarters ive watched this year is abysmal. I honestly believe the umpires were going to be staunch on “incorrect disposal” .. I watched throw after throw after throw.. the way its tracking, the AFL are going to have to abandon the handball. Just throw it, no point having a handball any longer. Does not matter which umpire we have

Fair enough but Mutts is my go to for umpires.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t have an issue with Lachie Young. I have an issue that he and Bailey Scott are playing ahead of Tom Powell.

I do not want Tommy running with his back into a contest. I want Tommy at the drop of the ball. I am a little bewildered as to why he is not in the team. I do not know the ins and outs of his fitness/injuries etc. I do not see Tommy as a defensive midfielder, he is an outside player with some of the best hands ive seen. Its round 1 in a rebuilding team that will see a win this week. Which is the confidence we need plus it could be our first win without cunners since? This game could be some serious team building confidence

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair enough but Mutts is my go to for umpires.
…. This is an issue. The fact we are calling for one particular umpire is detriment to the game. Its all about umpires, not thats the point you are making. * the umpires. They are on very decent coin, umpire in the contest and the rules. They are not ******* celebrities. Whats an umpire on now 150k per year? Turn it up! I’ll bounce a ball and call the game, cop some s**t for 150k.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
…. This is an issue. The fact we are calling for one particular umpire is detriment to the game. Its all about umpires, not thats the point you are making. fu** the umpires. They are on very decent coin, umpire in the contest and the rules. They are not ******* celebrities. Whats an umpire on now 150k per year? Turn it up! I’ll bounce a ball and call the game, cop some sh*t for 150k.

They all look the same to me except Razor Ray and Margetts

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That can be said time and time again...flat footed, slow to move forward, no movement up ground, but always it'll be the defence fault to those that don't see the whole picture

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They need to address the problem of the lack of experience, continual training should be up there, changing rules is just a lazy arse way of dealing with it.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surprised Powell isn't playing but I'll trust the opinion of Noble and the match committee who see these guys every day.
Midfield spots are going to get red hot considering the influx of talent injected into the squad over the last 2 years. Its healthy competition. If Powell isnt picked and we win and it makes Tom strive for another level, its only healthy.

DocSholl

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2021
In Arjen's head
AFL Club
GWS
Might just be being careful with Powell after the back end of last season. The G is a wide ground, they may just want to start him back at Etihad next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back