Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day is a gun halfback. Not sure with the obsession of throwing him on a wing. I’d rather keep bramble there and recruit a young gun.

Agreed. The opposition would put an elite runner on his wing and blow him up.

With a fully fit squad we have a lot of backs into fit in side. Sicily, day, scrim, CJ, Impey, Hardwick, DGB, frost, Hartigan. Yes some may go up ground but who? And where does Sicily fit in?

Hardwick Hartigan DGB
Day Frost CJ
Scrim Horne* Bramble
Seamus Jeka Brockman
Breust Kosi Gunston
Reeves Worpel Finn
Extended interchange: Sicily Lewis Impey Downie, shiels, JOM.

Clearly need a few elite mids - hopefully found in draft. If some of our hbf move Onto wings our outside stocks looks a bit better.

Another elite small forward or two (even Schultz would help) and a key back or two to support DGB likely also on list.

If Gunston doesn’t play much in 2022 interesting if sicily plays forward. But DGB as third tall forward and Sicily down back maybe looks better balanced (no idea if DGB can play forward and yes is likely an elite defender long term).

Feel like we also lack that flexible mid sized bid bodied defender who can play on the dusty/danger/stringer types and is more defensive then our CJ, scrim types.

2nd ruck is bit unclear long term - can Lewis or our other talls do it?

Backline mix will be really interesting. It’s a good problem to have but with Sicily back, one or two will have to move up the ground.

Backs -

Hartigan - can be penciled in as the KPD

Hardwick - same as one of the best back pockets going around

Frost - still in the best back 6, provides flexibility to play small or tall

Half Backs -

Day - Our Whitfield that can run and intercept

DGB - Can play 3rd tall or maybe 2nd best forward

Sicily - great field kick and will have freedom to set up with the other talls

Scrimshaw as the 7th defender who rotates through the middle/wing

This backline could be a little tall and slow but Frost is rapid, Day and Hardwick are nimble enough

This also leaves CJ and Impey to play up the ground.

In some of the games this year, it was clear CJ has the attributes to play somewhere in the midfield. It will be a shame to lose his intercepting/overlap from the backline but he could translate that up the field. Obviously he’s got an insane fitness base with his 2km time, he’ll just need to get midfield fit for those repeat efforts in the mixer

B. Hardwick. Hartigan. DGB
HB. Scrimshaw, Sicily, Jiath
C Day. Mitchell, Bramble
HF. Gunston, Jeka, Wingard
F. Koschitzke, Lewis, Bruest
FOL. McEvoy, Omeara, Worpel

INT. Reeves, Moore, Duke, Impey

frost stiff, but Sicily more composed and skilful
Bramble had shown more than Morrison, Day can play on a wing, but do more of a Gaff role as the defensive winger

I know I’m missing someone obvious, but the side looks ok

Backline mix will be really interesting. It’s a good problem to have but with Sicily back, one or two will have to move up the ground.

Backs -

Hartigan - can be penciled in as the KPD

Hardwick - same as one of the best back pockets going around

Frost - still in the best back 6, provides flexibility to play small or tall

Half Backs -

Day - Our Whitfield that can run and intercept

DGB - Can play 3rd tall or maybe 2nd best forward

Sicily - great field kick and will have freedom to set up with the other talls

Scrimshaw as the 7th defender who rotates through the middle/wing

This backline could be a little tall and slow but Frost is rapid, Day and Hardwick are nimble enough

This also leaves CJ and Impey to play up the ground.

In some of the games this year, it was clear CJ has the attributes to play somewhere in the midfield. It will be a shame to lose his intercepting/overlap from the backline but he could translate that up the field. Obviously he’s got an insane fitness base with his 2km time, he’ll just need to get midfield fit for those repeat efforts in the mixer
Hartigan isn't a lock. Play DGB CHB and Frost FB and play Hartigan v the monsters.

B. Hardwick. Hartigan. DGB
HB. Scrimshaw, Sicily, Jiath
C Day. Mitchell, Bramble
HF. Gunston, Jeka, Wingard
F. Koschitzke, Lewis, Bruest
FOL. McEvoy, Omeara, Worpel

INT. Reeves, Moore, Duke, Impey

frost stiff, but Sicily more composed and skilful
Bramble had shown more than Morrison, Day can play on a wing, but do more of a Gaff role as the defensive winger

I know I’m missing someone obvious, but the side looks ok
Frost > Hartigan.

Usually a rebuild suggests bottoming out for a few years to get access to the best talent. Most of the football world thinks that’s the current situation with the Hawks. However looking more deeply and reading this post it has me quietly optimistic in my short & long term outlook as we already have a lot to work with. Then consider the upside of youngsters on our list that are still developing/haven’t had a taste of AFL plus another good crack at this years draft.

Our ladder position isn’t great at the moment but I reckon it will be a distant memory for us supporters ........ sooner than later!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Sicily - DGB - Hardwick
HB: Jiath - Frost - Scrimshaw

Sicily comes straight back in and plays on the third tall.
Jiath & Scrimshaw first choice intercept/rebounding defenders.
DGB trusted to take the second tall.

MID: Reeves - Worpel - O'Meara (C)
MID: Day - Mitchell - Bramble

Day moves on to the wing with Bramble, weakness becoming a strength in 12 months.
Worpel and O'Meara our main onballers with responsibility. Mitchell free roaming as he did against Melbourne.
Reeves our first choice centre square ruckman.

HF: Impey - Jeka - Wingard
FF: Breust- Koschitzke - Gunston

Impey up forward in a pressure/mobile marking role.
Jeka & Kosi first choice talls.
Gunston & Breust to spend more time up forward.

INT: McEvoy - Brockman - Shiels - Callaghan :)thumbsu:)
EME: Howe - Moore - Phillips - Newcombe

I'm all in on Callaghan at our first pick, and I think any mid we choose would be close to a round 1 debut.
McEvoy second ruck/forward over Mitchell Lewis.
Shiels still too good to be out of the team and Brockman our next best small foward.

: Sicily Frost Hardwick
H: Scrimshaw Koschitzke Day
C: Impey O'Meara Bramble
R: Reeves Howe Worpel
H: Wingard Lewis Mitchell
F: Brockman Jeka Bruest
I: McEvoy, Shiels, Phillips, Moore Morrison, Downie, Maginness, Newcombe (Not confident Gunston over comes his back complaint).

I'm bemused by the repeated Horne references.

Do we expect Obiwan Kenobi to subtly gesture at the North table on draft night? "This isn't the player you're looking for...pick someone else...move along..."
“Please Kenobi - he’s like the next hodge…”

“Now that is a name I have not heard for a loooong long period of time”*

*Clarko mod

Hartigan isn't a lock. Play DGB CHB and Frost FB and play Hartigan v the monsters.
Frost is more a BP than a FB, he can’t play on the number 1 forward. DGB has the size currently for of a 3rd tall, will move into the CHB position but not by round 1 next year.

yes and no. Hartigan better stopper against big forwards, frost more attacking generally. Both make their share of mistakes. I reckon Sicily can do frosts job.
But it was a tight call
Yes and yes, Frost is a very good one on one defender and if you said "you have to play on Hawkins" he'd take the challenge and do well, Sicily can't do his CHB job and is better suited third tall and DGB CHB is fine, he's already gotten way bigger since we drafted him and he'll have another pre season.

DGB has supreme confidence. Stick him at CHB for the next 15 years - he can learn on the job. Frost is the new Stratts - takes the Martin/Danger type or 3rd tall. Scrim has great hands and can become a mid.
Hardwick Hartigan Frost
Day DGB CJ
Scrim Mitch Bramble
Gunston Jeka/Lewis Wingard
Bruest Kosi Sicily
Reeves JOM Worps
Int McEvoy Shiels Impey Newk
McEvoy rests up forward and Sicily also plays forward as he is not needed down back. With Gunston in, Kosi & Lewis/Jeka then get the 3rd/4th defender and can build confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back