Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the teams being selected, the midfield still worries me quite a bit.

We are tinkering around the edges with moving players from half back flank to wing, etc but pretty much every side picked still has the same core onball mix of JOM, Worpel and Mitchell.

I know our midfield depth is very weak but if we turn up every week with that midfield unit we are losing more than we win across 22 games (IMOH).

Hopefully Ward and possibly another recent draftee really kicks on this year and can own a spot in the midfield going forward.

We are tinkering around the edges with moving players from half back flank to wing, etc but pretty much every side picked still has the same core onball mix of JOM, Worpel and Mitchell.

I know our midfield depth is very weak but if we turn up every week with that midfield unit we are losing more than we win across 22 games (IMOH).

Hopefully Ward and possibly another recent draftee really kicks on this year and can own a spot in the midfield going forward.

Am hoping we do lose more than we win TBH.

We don't have anywhere near enough talent to contend for a flag, so hoping a bottom six finish, trade out a senior player or two and hopefully draft well.

I wonder whether Mitchell will leave Wings forward now to provide that extra on-ball spot for Nash / Jai / Ward / Finn...

Most likely we will lose more than we win, regardless. However we need a more dynamic midfield and started to look better at the tail-end of the season when we experimented with players like Nash and Newcombe. The experiments need to continue and I put Impey in the middle for my round 1 team. I don't expect him to play a regular centre role but I think he could be a more than handy burst mid. None of our mids are game changing superstars but if we can get a dynamic mix of up to eight who can be included in the rotations, we can start to get some real drive from the midfield rather than playing chasey.

Shiels was playing wing half forward, We had JOM and Worps play forward more towards the end of the year. I think we just didn't have as many midfield rotations for those players earlier in the year. Towards the end we did. Hopefully they can contribute more when forward

Where does mitchell, worpel, omeara, shiels go if not in the middle?
And therein lies the problem.

None of those players are multi dimensional, they are all old school ball hunters.

But that combination has shown it doesn't work (at least consistenly across 22 rounds)

We said similar about Mitchell, Sewell and Lewis being one paced in the midfield from 2009-2011 ish. But it was just as much about bringing in multiple depth options and rotations for them, as it was getting Mitchell to play other positions (half back). We started running Rioli, Breust, Puopolo through the middle, and Burgoyne helped when he started getting his fitness and form back. I remember one game we smashed Essendon at Etihad, and we never started the same centre square ball up with the same formation and kept switching. Quite the change from previous years.

So hopefully we can look to bat deeper, and have Wingard, Impey, Breust, Moore play little cameos, and move towards even Brockman going through there as well and fingers crossed on Seamus Mitchell, and therefore doing something similar of changing the dynamic player at the clearances and having players not just quick with leg speed but quick of mind and decision making to get the ball to our advantage. Moore isn't a super fast runner, but wow does he get things moving quickly our way when he's involved. Ward seems to a great fit for this idea as well, as see him switching between wing, half forward and centre when he starts to push for games.

I'd be a bit disappointed if that was the case.
Don't misunderstood - OK not after 5 matches. What I ment is gradually introducing new players next year and it will largely depend on the output Sam gets from the older blocks.

Don't misunderstood - OK not after 5 matches. What I ment is gradually introducing new players next year and it will largely depend on the output Sam gets from the older blocks.
I think I might have misunderstood what you were saying. I'd be disappointed if he ran them through the middle together all the time in the first five matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. My feel is that Sam will play them the first 5 matches and then will bring in new blood and more changes if things don't go well.
I really hope we just go in to this pre season with a clean slate and say whoever performs over the pre season plays round 1.

New coaching staff, large list turnover over the past 2 years. Forget what you have done this is all about what you can give us going forward.

True. My feel is that Sam will play them the first 5 matches and then will bring in new blood and more changes if things don't go well.
So 5-10 matches earlier than the Clarkson strategy for the last few years. I doubt we will be seeing all 3 in a once too often

Hardwick Frost Impey
Day DGB Jiath
Bramble Mitchell Worps
More Lewis Wingard
Sicily Kosi Bruest
McEvoy Scrim JOM
Newk Maginness Reeves Ward

I reckon Gunston might be done. If so, Sicily plays forward - will kick 50. Not a fan of Frost or Hartigan but we need some strength down back. Hartigan only plays half the games - when the oppo has a big forward (Cats, Tigers, etc). Reckon Scrim has the best quick hands in the team. Get him on ball. No future in playing the likes of Philips, Shiels or Howe.
Thought I'd try a second 'best 22' based on who is left after your 'best 22'.

Saunders. Hartigan. Howe.
Morris. Callow. Morrison.
Phillips. Nash. Downie.
Butler. Jeka. S.Mitchell.
N.Long. Gunston. Brockman.
M.Lynch. Shiels. McDonald.
Int: Serong.

Not bad I reckon.

Hardwick Frost Impey
Day DGB Jiath
Bramble Mitchell Worps
More Lewis Wingard
Sicily Kosi Bruest
McEvoy Scrim JOM
Newk Maginness Reeves Ward

I reckon Gunston might be done. If so, Sicily plays forward - will kick 50. Not a fan of Frost or Hartigan but we need some strength down back. Hartigan only plays half the games - when the oppo has a big forward (Cats, Tigers, etc). Reckon Scrim has the best quick hands in the team. Get him on ball. No future in playing the likes of Philips, Shiels or Howe.
Gunston won a B&F last time he was fit, not giving up on him yet

Sicily has not shown to be a 50 goal a year forward. He is one of the best defenders in the league, bog average forward. Leave him back

Thought I'd try a second 'best 22' based on who is left after your 'best 22'.

Saunders. Hartigan. Howe.
Morris. Callow. Morrison.
Phillips. Nash. Downie.
Butler. Jeka. S.Mitchell.
N.Long. Gunston. Brockman.
M.Lynch. Shiels. McDonald.
Int: Serong.

Not bad I reckon.
I remember posting (back around 2005) two teams - our oldest 18, and the youngsters. The U23s looked much better (Hodge, MItchell, Franklin, Rough, Lewis, Osbourne, Young, Ladson, Brown, Williams). That's when I knew we we going to have some success in a few years. Interestingly, of out 17 oldest players, only Crawford and Bateman would play in the GF just three years later, and 13 (all but Jacobs and Clarke) were delisted by 2007. Our list management was suitably ruthless.

Doing that now, the oldest 18 is still much, much stronger than the U23s.

Those selecting bramble and newcombe - both are rookie listed. So unless the rules have changed, they're only able to play if there's a long term injury (up until midway through the season)

I remember posting (back around 2005) two teams - our oldest 18, and the youngsters. The U23s looked much better (Hodge, MItchell, Franklin, Rough, Lewis, Osbourne, Young, Ladson, Brown, Williams). That's when I knew we we going to have some success in a few years. Interestingly, of out 17 oldest players, only Crawford and Bateman would play in the GF just three years later, and 13 (all but Jacobs and Clarke) were delisted by 2007. Our list management was suitably ruthless.

I reckon (at a guess) you would have posted that at the end of Buddy, Roughy and Franklin’s first year. I reckon the comparative point will be the end of 2022. some of the young uns come along quickly!

Those selecting bramble and newcombe - both are rookie listed. So unless the rules have changed, they're only able to play if there's a long term injury (up until midway through the season)
In addition to long-term injury replacement there is a rather complicated rule regarding veterans and nominated rookies.

In any case, I don't think either Bramble or Newcombe are rookies. Bramble came onto the list via the pre-season supplemental draf and Newcombe via the mid-season draft. As I understand it, that means they are both senior listed.

Is it much stronger though?

Over 28: Mitch, Wingard, O'Merea, McEvoy, Frost, Hartigan, Gunston, Breust

Under 24:Worpel, Lewis, Day, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Bramble, Reeves, Jaith, Brockman, DGB

In addition to long-term injury replacement there is a rather complicated rule regarding veterans and nominated rookies.

In any case, I don't think either Bramble or Newcombe are rookies. Bramble came onto the list via the pre-season supplemental draf and Newcombe via the mid-season draft. As I understand it, that means they are both senior listed.
Ah yes, the nominated rookie I forgot. That's one of them.
Both are rookie listed (was on the hawks website)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back