Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His kicking, elite. Both feet, composure and finding targets, really good kicking inside 50 and can mop up. He is super clean and his traffic work for a small fella is very good. Not Bramble quick but he's not slow. Pretty good tank and runs the wing but can play as a small forward who can find the goals and get up the ground to kick inside 50 or as a half back who can be trusted. Versatile etc.
He has very good footy/game IQ, but he's slow, short, lacks strength, doesn't jump, can't tackle & can't kick 40m.

I know you're the Patron Saint for HFC Fringe Players, but this is getting out of hand.

He has very good footy/game IQ, but he's slow, short, lacks strength, doesn't jump, can't tackle & can't kick 40m.

I know you're the Patron Saint for HFC Fringe Players, but this is getting out of hand.

Lollllll
He's not slow, he's not slow, he's not lightning but he ain't slow. Ofc he's short, he's not strong strong but he's smart and knows what to do, he can jump on occasions but doesnt need to he's a crumbing player, he can tackle fine and had like 7 tackles in a game this year where some other like Worpel had 1-2. cant kick 40 metres is a joke surely.

Morrison and Bramble being better users of the ball (Bramble by a long margin) will have pressure on Phillips to keep his wing spot.

Better for us in the long term...

Morrison and Bramble being better users of the ball (Bramble by a long margin) will have pressure on Phillips to keep his wing spot.

Better for us in the long term...
Morrison is probably as good of a user as Bramble slightly less perhaps without the speed but has the smarts to cover.

His kicking, elite. Both feet, composure and finding targets, really good kicking inside 50 and can mop up. He is super clean and his traffic work for a small fella is very good. Not Bramble quick but he's not slow. Pretty good tank and runs the wing but can play as a small forward who can find the goals and get up the ground to kick inside 50 or as a half back who can be trusted. Versatile etc.
Thanks for this Dominic03.

For me what you have described is a player who does the standard AFL non-negotiables well, and I think this probably stands out out more in a Hawthorn side lacking in basic skill. I guess I haven't really noticed the above as much because its what I expect out of Hawthorn players anyway. I would expect that once we get back to being a competitive side the majority of our players will do everything you described above as standard. So this leaves me with the same question - what will Morrison bring that puts him above others? ... I think Sam Mitchell was is a similar boat at the beginning of his career, so there wouldn't be a better man to sculpt him over the summer. Hoping he brings out some X factor ....

For me what you have described is a player who does the standard AFL non-negotiables well, and I think this probably stands out out more in a Hawthorn side lacking in basic skill. I guess I haven't really noticed the above as much because its what I expect out of Hawthorn players anyway. I would expect that once we get back to being a competitive side the majority of our players will do everything you described above as standard. So this leaves me with the same question - what will Morrison bring that puts him above others? ... I think Sam Mitchell was is a similar boat at the beginning of his career, so there wouldn't be a better man to sculpt him over the summer. Hoping he brings out some X factor ....
Has had a couple games where he has exploded, the Sydney game before injury had like 8 touches in the first qtr and was lighting it up. Was great in the Essendon game showing plenty and in the Carlton game when he was moved fwd and had 15 disposals 2 goals and really proved to be a huge part up there, has shown abilities at HB, wing and forward.

You can make a case that he's the opposite of everything you listed, besides strong. That's the one thing I'll concede, he still gets worked off the ball too easily - but everything else about his play is better than average I'd think.

Tested well in his draft for repeat effort running, jumping and agility. Would suggest he's quicker and a better leap than you're suggesting. Plus we've all seen him play, he's definitely a good kick and he knows where the goals are.

Agree, quick on both sides with hands and feet and enough footy IQ can win you a Brownlow.

Hardwick Kozi DGB
Day Sicily Scrim
Bramble JOM CJ
Moore Jeka Gunston
Wingard Lewis Breust

Ned Nash Worpel

Goater (our first pick), S Mitchell, Jars, Big Boy
Emerg. Frost, Newcombe and draftees
I like Frost but like Hartigan and Phillips we need to phase out our bad kickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Jiath
HB: Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw
C: Day, O’Meara, Phillips
HF: Moore, Koschitzke, Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, Gunston
R: Reeves, Worpel, Mitchell
INT: Bramble, McEvoy, Impey, Grainger-Barrass
23: Shiels

I suspect we will look something like this based on current form and with guys currently out of the squad come Round 1.

Agree, quick on both sides with hands and feet and enough footy IQ can win you a Brownlow.
Not as a winger haha, Sam Mitchell elite by foot both sides hand/foot and elite footy iq as a mid and won one.

Hardwick Kozi DGB
Day Sicily Scrim
Bramble JOM CJ
Moore Jeka Gunston
Wingard Lewis Breust

Ned Nash Worpel

Goater (our first pick), S Mitchell, Jars, Big Boy
Emerg. Frost, Newcombe and draftees
I like Frost but like Hartigan and Phillips we need to phase out our bad kickers.
Kossie not a key defender. CJ looks lost on the wing. etc

A potential 2022 starting lineup that contains 1 30+ year old player (Breust), 8 players starting the year between ages 25-29 (Mitchell, Wingard, O’Meara, Sicily, Hardwick, Impey, Howe and Frost) and 13 players starting the year at 24 and under

Hardwick Frost Scrimshaw
Impey Sicily CJ
Bramble Worpel Day
Reeves O’Meara Mitchell
Wingard Lewis Moore
Breust Kozzie Brockman

DGB, Morrison, Nash, Howe

- Haven’t included any of our draft picks or off season recruits
- Haven’t included Gunston (12 months out with a back surgery is no guarantee)

There will likely be quite a few midfielders added onto the list this off-season via the draft and trade period. Shiels is not a lock for best 22 next year.

Koschitzke, Moore and Bramble are locks given their unexpected current form.

The intriguing thing will be whether Sicily is used up forward or down back.

B. Hardwick, Frost, DGB
HB. CJ, Sicily, Day
C. Bramble, worpel, omeara
HF. Wingard, Kosi, Breust
F. Moore, lewis, Impey
Foll. Reeves, Nash, mitchell
Int. BB, scrim, Newcombe, phillips

Rest - Howe, Morrison, jeka, Morris, O'Brien, brockman, Hartigan

Pretty hard to do tbh. Think Impey gets squeezed back into the forward line. Geez our backline is hard to select!

BB playing the versatile backup ruck who can play a bit of KPD if needed.

Don't hate on the Nash selection. He will be centre square starting mid by round 1 next year and nothing will convince me otherwise!

Tall defenders will cause some selection headaches next year.

I see some leaving Frost out but IMO you can't do that - he is underrated and would be one of our best talls. Hartigan is still needed for the big guys as our other tall defenders don't have the size and weight for the Hawkins, etc of the comp.

Sicily has to be included and is far better back than forward (and clearly prefers playing in defence - some of his efforts forward before his injury suggested he was very keen to be switched straight back).

Others have DGB in a key post but he is still too raw IMO - this will be unpopular but even the 3rd string forwards he has been playing on have looked dangerous (including McStay on the weekend) so he is not ready to be promoted yet but obviously still should be played in the seniors and allowed to develop.

Not sure you can 2 intercepting '3rd talls' in the one team?

Frost played on Charlie Cameron on the weekend so is capable on smalls but not sure you could do that every week. If so, Sicily replacing O'Brien is an easy swap. Frost has pace but surely 4 tall defenders (not to mention still needing to find a spot for Scrimshaw and Jiath) is far too tall?

Why Morrison?

He does not appear to be elite at anything, not fast enough to burn anybody off, not strong enough to influence a pack, not big enough to influence a marking contest. To me he is just a mid sized plodder with a bit of game sense, just another one of our mid/under size plodding midfield types ... What am I not seeing with this guy?

I hear what you are saying but sometimes I think this is an incorrect way to judge a player.

Gary Rohan has elite speed, an elite vertical leap, etc yet most of his career he has been pretty average. Ashley Sampi was a high draft pick and had a number of elite traits (and won the mark of the year jumping straight over a pack and landing on his feet) but ended up being an average player. There are clearer examples than these 2 but you won't even know who I am talking about as they barely got a game.

Liam Shiels is not really elite at anything (in b4 "tackling") - just a hard working "midfield plodder" that has been invaluable to our success over a number of years. It's like Rick Ladson vs Carl Peterson for those old enough to remember both. Carl had all the elite traits and showed flashes of sheer brilliance but was out of the game after 17 games. Rick Ladson was a small, skinny midfielder without any real pace, a short kick and no elite traits at all but he played 125 games and was a premiership player.

I think Morrisson is similar in some ways. You're right, he is not elite at anything in particular and is unlikely to ever be a top 5 or top 10 player at the club. However, he reads the play well, is evasive and is a neat kick. He's a player when you are under pressure in your backline, he will run past at the right time, receive a handball and find a short target by foot to relieve the pressure. Not spectacular but invaluable (like a Caleb Daniel 'lite'). He's the kind of 'foot soldier' that every good side needs. The kind of player that if he is bottom 6 in your side you are beating most teams as their bottom 6 is worse. The kind of player who is unheralded next to the stars and playmakers of the team but whose contribution remains important to success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back