Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howe is one of those under the radar players who the coaches love. New coaches next year but I dont see Howe being a fringe player. DGB and Bramble show promise but neither played a game better than Howes best 3 or 4 IMO. Howe is hard, tough and knows how to get the footy…not as pretty but I think he is appreciated as one of our stable role players I guess in the mould of Strats for example.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We've made a change towards speed, and I believe we'll see that even further next year.

I doubt Howe's going to be taking a spot on the wing over any of the players listed above, regardless of how good he played in 2021. He's a big bodied, plodding wingman

Howe polled 83 votes in the PCM. Bramble polled 41. They’re one year apart in age. I take it everyone has Bramble in their starting 22?

Astonishing that Dan Howe gets relegated to “depth player” when there’s nothing to suggest Downie, Brockman or Newcombe will naturally develop to knock him out of the team
Bramble played 10 games for 41 votes, with 0 pre season and is 23 where as Howe is 26.

Howe played 20 games.

Howe is one of those under the radar players who the coaches love. New coaches next year but I dont see Howe being a fringe player. DGB and Bramble show promise but neither played a game better than Howes best 3 or 4 IMO. Howe is hard, tough and knows how to get the footy…not as pretty but I think he is appreciated as one of our stable role players I guess in the mould of Strats for example.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not sure that he is, he has been in and out of the team his entire career. Heck he was even dropped early this year

He is an okay player, and did a job this year when we needed him to but i think people are putting way too much stock in a B&F finish.

Sam's comments about wanting players who have something 'elite' that can be utilised ahead of solid competence in all areas leans towards Howe being depth.

He is solid...in the same way that Phillips is 'solid'...

Fine to have these guys on the list, ready to come in and do a job competently..but there are most skilful, faster, better players who are best 22

I'm not sure that he is, he has been in and out of the team his entire career. Heck he was even dropped early this year

He is an okay player, and did a job this year when we needed him to but i think people are putting way too much stock in a B&F finish.
Agree the B&F holds no weight now we have the senior coach and two line coaches gone but Howe is young and has developed well with a great attitude. I think a lot on here underestimate how good he is. I don't agree he is just ok. Yes he is a little slow at times but he makes up for it with his toughness and uses the ball well. If it is a choice between Bramble and him, I'll bet my house on Howe getting picked. They love his toughness and Bramble doesnt bring that. We have plenty of rebound from Frost, CJ, Day, Impey and Scrim. All would be ahead of Bramble...but dont get me wrong, I love Bramble and I think it will get down to team balance each week and injuries as to who plays where.

Agree the B&F holds no weight now we have the senior coach and two line coaches gone but Howe is young and has developed well with a great attitude. I think a lot on here underestimate how good he is. I don't agree he is just ok. Yes he is a little slow at times but he makes up for it with his toughness and uses the ball well. If it is a choice between Bramble and him, I'll bet my house on Howe getting picked. They love his toughness and Bramble doesnt bring that. We have plenty of rebound from Frost, CJ, Day, Impey and Scrim. All would be ahead of Bramble...but dont get me wrong, I love Bramble and I think it will get down to team balance each week and injuries as to who plays where.
I think he’s developed ok. Certainly not well though. He continues to be plagued by slow decision making, limited kicking ability and slow foot speed. As well as not making it as an inside mid. Now he’s on the wing because we are very limited for options.

Playing Howe over Bramble would be a big step back in my books. Especially when bramble has all the traits we’ve been wanting in a winger.

Last edited:
I think he’s developed ok. Certainly not well though. He continues to be plagued by slow decision making, limited kicking ability and slow foot speed. As well as not making it as an inside mid. Now he’s on the wing because we are very limited for options.

Playing Howe over Bramble would be a big step back in my books. Especially when bramble has all the traits we’ve been wanting in a winger.
I don't think it's a case of one or the other. Ultimately it will get down to form and if Howe is in the form he was in at the end of 2021 he'll be in the 2022 round 1 team.

I don't think it's a case of one or the other. Ultimately it will get down to form and if Howe is in the form he was in at the end of 2021 he'll be in the 2022 round 1 team.
Only if about 5 players are either injured or out of form.

If we look at the last half of the year though Howe’s form wasn’t that good. He had a couple of good games Dogs and GWS and the rest of his games were average or below. His game against Freo was especially poor. Howe is solid. But nothing more.

Now a lot can change over summer but Howe would need to be in significantly better form than Bramble for me to be picking him over Bramble.

Howe and Bramble are completely different players. Howe is slowish and Bramble is quick. Howe has a big body, whereas Bramble is relatively slight. Both cover a fair bit of territory but Bramble is a line breaker and Howe is a play reader. I think that those who view Howe as a slow decision-maker are living in the past. His decision-making and his disposal lifted a notch in 2021. I think both can play in round 1 but I can also see a scenario where neither play. Downie and Saunders could press Bramble. Morrison, Maginness and Newcombe could press Howe. Much will be revealed in the pre-season

I can't see any scenario apart from injury where Bramble doesn't play from now on.

He provides high quality in one area where we have a dearth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mitchell may have a new plan for the midfield. What we need though is more midfield rotations.

I would like to see Day, Bramble and Impey all playing in the midfield. Day and Bramble in particular would be able to provide some speed and skills on the wing.

With Sicily back, Grainger-Barras likely to push for a best 22 spot, some players will be squeezed out of that back six.

Howe polled 83 votes in the PCM. Bramble polled 41. They’re one year apart in age. I take it everyone has Bramble in their starting 22?

Astonishing that Dan Howe gets relegated to “depth player” when there’s nothing to suggest Downie, Brockman or Newcombe will naturally develop to knock him out of the team

Who comes out of the side to make way for Gunston, CJ, Breust, Day, Impey, Sicily, Moore and maybe some of the young guns like DGB and Brockman if they have a big pre-season?

Last edited:
By my count, there are a group of 15 players who are definitely best 22 (at least for Round 1) and then another group of 10 or so who are on the fringe and play depending on structure, injury form or opponent.

FB: Hardwick ???? ????
HB: Day Sicily Impey
C: Scrimshaw Mitchell CJ
HF: Gunston Kosi Breust
FF: Moore Lewis ????

Ruck: Reeves JOM Wingard
INT: Worpel

Obviously some combination of Hartigan, Frost and DGB will likely take the final two back spots, you would think Brockman gets first dibs at the small forward role and either McEvoy or Lynch play as second ruck/3rd forward. That leaves two spots on the bench to be filled by Bramble, Nash, Howe, Newcombe, Shiels, Downie, Finn & Jeka

Its going to be tight for spots next year!!

You don't think the majority of those six players come straight back into the side? The only one that's a question is Gunston. So let's exclude him for now.

Who comes out of our final round side when Breust, Moore, Day, CJ, Sicily and Impey return? We can exclude any potential pre-season developers too, like Reeves, DGB, Brockman.

Edit: forgot CJ too

Last edited:
Howe and Bramble are completely different players. Howe is slowish and Bramble is quick. Howe has a big body, whereas Bramble is relatively slight. Both cover a fair bit of territory but Bramble is a line breaker and Howe is a play reader. I think that those who view Howe as a slow decision-maker are living in the past. His decision-making and his disposal lifted a notch in 2021. I think both can play in round 1 but I can also see a scenario where neither play. Downie and Saunders could press Bramble. Morrison, Maginness and Newcombe could press Howe. Much will be revealed in the pre-season

We will have to agree to disagree on the decision making and kicking ability. I think he is better in those departments than several on the list. Howe is a better stop gap player who can play half back, wing, middle. Bramble would get monstered in the middle. On the wing next year will be interesting to watch what Sam does. Day, Phillips, Howe, Bramble, Shiels, CJ, Downie & a few others could play there. I think if Bramble plays over anyone it should be Phillips or Shiels but Im not sure we can take that experience out of our side. Will be interesting for sure.

We will have to agree to disagree on the decision making and kicking ability. I think he is better in those departments than several on the list. Howe is a better stop gap player who can play half back, wing, middle. Bramble would get monstered in the middle. On the wing next year will be interesting to watch what Sam does. Day, Phillips, Howe, Bramble, Shiels, CJ, Downie & a few others could play there. I think if Bramble plays over anyone it should be Phillips or Shiels but Im not sure we can take that experience out of our side. Will be interesting for sure.
Howe shouldn’t be getting a look in at half-back and he’s a long way down the midfield rotation. He will only get a look as a wing. As a wing he’s ok, if we had a full compliment of otherwise attacking wings. But we really should be looking elsewhere.

I do agree the wing options will tell us a lot about Mitchell’s plans. But if we run out with Howe, Phillips and Shiels as our wings for the first game it’s going to be a very long year. We’ve already seen this trio doesn’t work. It just compounds our already slow midfield. I’d play 1 of those 3 at most.

By my count, there are a group of 15 players who are definitely best 22 (at least for Round 1) and then another group of 10 or so who are on the fringe and play depending on structure, injury form or opponent.

FB: Hardwick ???? ????
HB: Day Sicily Impey
C: Scrimshaw Mitchell CJ
HF: Gunston Kosi Breust
FF: Moore Lewis ????

Ruck: Reeves JOM Wingard
INT: Worpel

Obviously some combination of Hartigan, Frost and DGB will likely take the final two back spots, you would think Brockman gets first dibs at the small forward role and either McEvoy or Lynch play as second ruck/3rd forward. That leaves two spots on the bench to be filled by Bramble, Nash, Howe, Newcombe, Shiels, Downie, Finn & Jeka

Its going to be tight for spots next year!!
Lol bramble is easily best 22 mate, I’ll go as far to say top 10

You got the ages correct?

1 year apart, might need to look at that one again mate

If Bramble has a strong and injury-free pre-season and develops as one would expect a slightly maturer player with a first proper pre-season under his belt, and with the support and belief he clearly has from Collo and Sammy, I don't see how he is not best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back